Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: State Capitol Building

Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    More great news... first the AICC then this!!!!!!!!!!!

Oklahoma House defeats bond issue for state Capitol repairs | News OK
    Better to wait until it falls in on itself to act on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Better to wait until it falls in on itself to act on the problem.
    So long as they are inside it.

Public building represent the collective spirit of the people. Crappy buildings = crappy spirit. Many people in Oklahoma (and almost everywhere else for that matter) simply have no pride in ownership of anything.

It's not a dead issue, if you read the article. Just determining a way to fund it. Sounds like some are gun shy to take a stand on the funding method.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma State Capitol Building Renovations

This is turning out to be an epic week at 23rd and Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It's not a dead issue, if you read the article. Just determining a way to fund it. Sounds like some are gun shy to take a stand on the funding method.
    This has been an issue for years. Even in surplus years they haven't had the collective will to just make a decision. It's pathetic, even for a 1-party state.

There is also a measure that is alive that would send it to a vote of the people on whether to take out bonds to repair. Will be funny when over 60% of the public says yes to bonds for repair, would help show the huge divide on what the public wants compared to what the legislature (and lobbyists) want.

I feel the same way about the tax cut proposal. i have a feeling most are against it yet the lawmakers foolishly continue to push for it furthering our revenue issues.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    There is also a measure that is alive that would send it to a vote of the people on whether to take out bonds to repair. Will be funny when over 60% of the public says yes to bonds for repair, would help show the huge divide on what the public wants compared to what the legislature (and lobbyists) want.

I feel the same way about the tax cut proposal. i have a feeling most are against it yet the lawmakers foolishly continue to push for it furthering our revenue issues.
    I wish someone would primary Fallin. It's becoming very clear the tail is wagging the dog. She has 0 influence or control over the House.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wish someone would primary Fallin. It's becoming very clear the tail is wagging the dog. She has 0 influence or control over the House.
    Filing period is over.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Filing period is over.
    No way anyone would anyway. You don't primary your own party's incumbent if you ever want a dime from said party. It'd have to be someone who was already independently wealthy willingly to spend their own money. Fallin's just an ineffective talking head. The power right now is in the House.

I agree with this and am glad to hear it is still a possibility. The way it is was worded led me to believe there was a better chance of passing the AICC than this.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    No way anyone would anyway. You don't primary your own party's incumbent if you ever want a dime from said party. It'd have to be someone who was already independently wealthy willingly to spend their own money. Fallin's just an ineffective talking head. The power right now is in the House.
    I thought there was another republican candidate that is challenging her in the primary, could be wrong though.

I think Chad Moody is running against her.

I thought there was another republican candidate that is challenging her in the primary, could be wrong though.
    Dorman for the D
    Prawdzienski for the I
    Fallin for the R

Doing all the make pretty renovations while continuing to ignore structural and mechanical issues is a bit like taking an old classic car chassis and installing new carpet and seat covers before you fix the rusted through floorboard and the broken and rusted over convertible top mechanism that won't let the top close off. Sure, it can be done, but you look pretty damn foolish.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Doing all the make pretty renovations while continuing to ignore structural and mechanical issues is a bit like taking an old classic car chassis and installing new carpet and seat covers before you fix the rusted through floorboard and the broken and rusted over convertible top mechanism that won't let the top close off. Sure, it can be done, but you look pretty damn foolish.
    Common sense and logic has no place here!

Well, at least there is still a chance...

Oklahoma Senate Passes Bill For Capitol Repairs

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 12:26 PM CDT
    Updated: Apr 24, 2014 12:26 PM CDT
    By Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Senate has resurrected a plan to spend up to $160 million to repair the nearly 100-year-old state Capitol.
    The Senate voted 33-9 Thursday for a House-passed resolution that would authorize repairs to the Capitol. The bill called for vote of the people on whether to issue $120 million in bonds to pay for repairs, but the Senate amended it to authorize a bond issue of up to $160 million without a public vote.

The bill now goes back to the House.

On Tuesday, the House defeated a Senate bill to authorize up to $160 million in bonds for Capitol repairs.

Supporters and opponents agree that the Capitol needs extensive repairs. But they disagree on how to pay for them.

- Oklahoma Senate Passes Bill For Capitol Repairs - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Weird that Mr conservative fiscal hawk TW Shannon approved capitol renovations where window treatments alone were several thousand dollars apiece. I guess he's one of those do as I say not as I do types.
    I don't get it. You want the Capitol building fixed and rip tea-party republicans when they don't vote for it - and then when they DO vote for it you ding them on hypocracy. Then we all sit back and woner why politicans don't do what the people want. This is one of the reasons why.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I don't get it. You want the Capitol building fixed and rip tea-party republicans when they don't vote for it - and then when they DO vote for it you ding them on hypocracy. Then we all sit back and woner why politicans don't do what the people want. This is one of the reasons why.
    Because how the Repubs here are doing the renovations is absurd. Who fixes room decor while the roof and plumbing still leak??

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Because how the Repubs here are doing the renovations is absurd. Who fixes room decor while the roof and plumbing still leak??
    I agree that structural repairs should be a prioirty but that wasn't what onethestrip was talking about in his post. Sadly, I think that the will of the people to have nice public buildings has already been lost, and once lost is almost impossible to be regained. In 50 years the State of Oklahoma, if it even exist in current form, will be governed from a pile of rubble. While the people of OKC seem to have rekindled some civic pride, the state as a whole seems to have almost no pride of ownership in anything.

Update from NewsOk

Plans to finish funding the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum in Oklahoma City may be considered by the Legislature this session even though the House failed to hear a bill to draw $40 million from the state’s unclaimed property fund to complete the long-stalled project.

One of the bill’s authors, Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, said Monday lawmakers are discussing the possibility of paying for the project through an appropriations bill that would stagger funding over three years.

Under that approach, $15 million would be provided the first year, $15 million the second and $10 million the third. The money likely would still come from the unclaimed property fund.

“I’m hopeful that can happen,” Dank said. “We’ll keep working on it until we get it done.”

Private backers of the project have pledged to provide $40 million to finish the project if the state also puts up $40 million.

“We have those private people who have committed money for it,” Dank said. “Those commitments are just good through this session. We’ve got to get it done, otherwise the state will be looking at having to provide $80 million instead of $40 million.

“It could be a real boon to this state. It is history, culture and heritage. It will draw thousands of people here every year and will pay for itself.”

A bill to provide $40 million for the project in one lump sum passed the Senate and two House committees, but House Speaker Jeff Hickman did not allow it to come to a floor vote, saying he wanted it to have the support of 51 Republicans in the House before he did so.

- Efforts to fund Oklahoma City Indian museum and cultural center move to appropriations process | News OK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I agree that structural repairs should be a prioirty but that wasn't what onethestrip was talking about in his post. Sadly, I think that the will of the people to have nice public buildings has already been lost, and once lost is almost impossible to be regained. In 50 years the State of Oklahoma, if it even exist in current form, will be governed from a pile of rubble. While the people of OKC seem to have rekindled some civic pride, the state as a whole seems to have almost no pride of ownership in anything.
    It's not the state as a whole, it is the tea party libertarians that recognize no value in it. The people want fiscal responsibility, not just cheap. There's a difference.

I still don't understand why it's regarded as a pretty bad idea to make a withdraw from the Rainy Day Fund to pay for capitol repairs, unless it's felt all the money now available in there and more will be needed in case a 9.0 earthquake hits or a bunch of F-5 tornadoes hit highly populated parts of the state.

Yep, it makes no sense to me why fixing it isn't a priority. I have less and less faith in the legislative ability to get anything positive done.

Yep, it makes no sense to me why fixing it isn't a priority. I have less and less faith in the legislative ability to get anything positive done.
    Apparently...so does Mary according to the daily Oklahoman article this week. It is amazing now that we have all three branches controlled by the same party and there is more division than before all three were GOP controlled.

Thread Information