Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

1. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

i do need some commas in that run on sentence but please forgive me

Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

Haven't seen Simply Fondue's location, but I thought I read they aren't exactly working quickly on getting open....May be looking to back out now that Melting Pot is close to opening

No way both can survive down there so I would bet Simply will go elsewhere in the metro...My bet would be on Western or Memorial

3. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

the melting pot is planning on opening on dec 13 however bricktown square quys say that simply fondue has paid their rent and plan on going head to head....lets just say walgreens eckards in bricktown...allthough i hope both are successful cause the more regional and national chiains the better...dont you agree....and these are artsy ones..........kinda like sushi...who would of ever thought of fondue competing in bricktown...ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by inferno_911 View Post
    Othello's will be located in the area above Bourboun Street Cafe, formally the place of Daddy Hinkle's Restaurant and J. Franks Bar.
    I walked by it a few times over the weekend. Great location and very attractive signage. I'm sure it will be a great success and I look forward to patronizing it on my next visit to town.

I still miss "Lotus", the sushi restaurant that was once located above Bourbon Street. I am still waiting for good quality sushi in bricktown.

I would also like to see a good pizza by the slice, New York style pizzeria joint.

Have you tried Raw, okclee?

7. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

raw needs to upgrade its menu

I have tried RAW once, nothing special to me.

9. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianConservative View Post
    Is Bricktown slowing down?

Bricktown still solid, backers say
    Three restaurants have closed recently

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Three Bricktown restaurants closed in recent weeks, but the head of the merchants' association insists the entertainment district isn't losing any momentum.
    All three eateries were located along the Bricktown Canal. Da'Boat, a seafood restaurant at Oklahoma Avenue, and Rio Del Fuego, a Mexican restaurant, both closed over the summer. The latest casualty, Daddy Hinkle's Steak House, also known as J. Frank's, closed earlier this month and is already being renovated into the new home of Othello's.

David Southard, owner of Daddy Hinkles, said his Bourbon Street Cafe on the canal level of the Kingman building is still thriving. He said the steakhouse was too "experimental" for Bricktown. The restaurant was a new concept, based on the instant meat marinades his father's company sells in supermarkets nationwide.

"Anytime a business comes in and isn't well developed, Bricktown is tough on it," Southard said. "I have a restaurant that is very successful in Bricktown and one that wasn't."

Another challenge, Southard said, was building up business to support the 10,000-square-foot space. In the past few months, he tried to separate the space, operating a steakhouse fronting Oklahoma Avenue and J. Frank's Bar and Grill facing the canal.

Southard said he may reopen the bar and grill in another smaller location, depending on the future of NBA basketball at the nearby Ford Center.

Charles Biehler, co-owner of Othellos in Norman, said he and his partners are relocating their Ed Noble Parkway location to Bricktown and will offer a different menu that will include steaks, seafood and Italian dishes. He's also contemplating opening a pizza shop in the Oklahoma Avenue storefront.

"This site is very good," Biehler said.

Randy Hogan, developer of Lower Bricktown, said he expects the Rio Del Fuego spot will reopen as a new eatery by Christmas. The restaurant's failure is the first in the new Lower Bricktown. Hogan said other eateries — Marble Slab Creamery, Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill and Earl's Rib Palace — are all exceeding expectations and thriving.

Brandon Bittle, who owned Rio Del Fuego, also tried changing concepts before closing his operation in Lower Bricktown. He originally opened a Nothing But Noodles, but changed it in January to a Mexican restaurant with no prior history with consumers.

"Mexican is safe," Bittle said at the time. "It's a good staple."

Bricktown visitors were skeptical at the start, questioning why an unproven Mexican restaurant would open in a district that already boasted two popular and well-known Mexican eateries — Chelinos and Abuelos.

Bittle wouldn't comment when contacted Friday. But Frank Sims, director of the Bricktown Association, thinks the visitors had the right gut instinct.

"A person needs to do due diligence when they enter an area," Sims said. "Two of our very successful restaurants are Abuelos and Chelinos, and a third Mexican restaurant was tough to pull off."

Sims said the restaurant closures do not indicate any slowing momentum in the downtown entertainment district. He said Da'Boat went through several owners, and a new restaurant announcement for the space is expected soon.

"I believe they were potentially under-capitalized, and that might have been the problem," Sims said.

Sims said the opening of The Melting Pot this winter along Sheridan Avenue in a previously undeveloped building shows Bricktown is thriving.

"That tells the story of what's going with Bricktown — we're catching national attention."

"There is a tremendous amount of interest in Bricktown. Not just restaurants, but also some retail opportunities. People are understanding that we are now a destination, no longer a place people drove through but a place they drive to. And the numbers continue to grow by leaps and bounds."

"A person needs to do due diligence when they enter an area."

Frank Sims, director of the Bricktown Association

I know this post is a couple of months old, but it's still as relevant as ever.

When I started my new job in August my boss didn't even know 'Nothing but Noodles' had left Bricktown?!? I knew 'Rio' had taken up stake and I wasn't even living in the city yet...

As far as 'Daddy Hinkles' is concerned, I for one am glad it's gone. No offense to the owners but I NEVER had interest in going there. The spot had a more cultural feel when it was 'LOTUS'. But that's just me.

raw needs to upgrade its menu
    I have tried RAW once, nothing special to me.
    Bummer. I'll probably still check it out when I get the chance. I think the basic nigiri/roll sushi has reached saturation in the metro. Hopefully someone will begin to try more adventurous and unique sashimi offerings. Sushi can be more than just raw fish, seaweed, and rice.

Does raw have hibachi items, too?

A Chipotle in Bricktown would be awesome!

Also, arent Simply Fondue and Melting Pot almost the EXACT same concept? One of them is going to fall.

When is Bricktown ever going to get a really nice Thai restaurant? We need more culture in our restaurants.

13. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

^ I heartily agree! A GREAT, not good, but great tasting Thai or other themed restaurant is sorely missing from the mix!

While driving in Bricktown today I noticed that the Miss Milan (ground floor of the Bricktown parking garage) went out of business and it is now a travel agency. Sad to see what little retail we have down there not doing good.

15. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

I don't think that was a good location for retail. Maybe if it could have survived until the Hampton Inn was open.

16. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

i only saw miss milan open two or three times in 3 months cant make money that way

I always thought the basement/canal level of JDM Place would make a good "food court" location for a few small fast food type of places and a convenience store, especially for a lunch crowd. The floor to deck height was always too low to put something large in there so I thought it was a good utilization of that space. Has anything ever gone in there?

18. Default Re: 3 Bricktown restaurants close

food court is great however we need daytime traffic....i/e shopping

Thread Information