Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OU Football 2024 Season

Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Letting General Booty leave was a mistake the Sooners will soon learn to regret.
    He threw for 114 yards and 1 TD in his ULM debut this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Letting General Booty leave was a mistake the Sooners will soon learn to regret.
    He wan't going to get to play so it was best for all parties.

There's really no "letting them go" any more, anyway. They're all free agents every season.

The majority of starting FBS QBs are transfers.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: OU Football 2024 Season

nm

Gonna be a long season if they don’t make big improvements in a hurry. Pretty sure Maine is the only team left on the schedule that’s worse than Houston.

yeah... that was a really sloppy performance all around for OU.

The offense is atrocious, gotta get healthy. Even still upside & expectations for this year just took a big hit.

8. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    The offense is atrocious, gotta get healthy. Even still upside & expectations for this year just took a big hit.
    Yeah. I was really hoping the predictions of 7-5 or 8-4 were underestimating us. If the offense doesn't get a lot better real fast and the defense doesn't stop making stupid mistakes those predictions might be overestimating us.

Overheard in the President's box, "We paid this guy how much"?

Need 4 tix for Tulane game

11. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Overheard in the President's box, "We paid this guy how much"?
    Referencing a player, or a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Arnold.

Littrell

14. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

^^^^^^^^^
    Makes sense.

15. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Tulane will be a big test. They are a decent team overall. I thought the play calling was actually fine (maybe run a bit more) but the execution of those plays was pretty bad. Seems like either an over zealous offensive play calling based on the athletes we have or the injuries piled up and the replacements can't run the plays.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Tulane will be a big test. They are a decent team overall. I thought the play calling was actually fine (maybe run a bit more) but the execution of those plays was pretty bad. Seems like either an over zealous offensive play calling based on the athletes we have or the injuries piled up and the replacements can't run the plays.
    OU started the 4th team center on Sat (as well as missing 3 of the projected top 4 WR) .... . that causes all kinds of problems ...

For people criticizing the play calling, what calls do you think would have worked? To me, the problem was more execution than play calling. Execution lacked at least partially because this team is beat up (especially on o-line and WR), inexperienced (especially QB), and out of sync. In the end, Littrell is responsible for getting the offense to work and the offense is the worst it's been since the Blake era. I'm not saying he shouldn't get blame, but I just didn't think the play calling was the major problem.

18. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    For people criticizing the play calling, what calls do you think would have worked? To me, the problem was more execution than play calling. Execution lacked at least partially because this team is beat up (especially on o-line and WR), inexperienced (especially QB), and out of sync. In the end, Littrell is responsible for getting the offense to work and the offense is the worst it's been since the Blake era. I'm not saying he shouldn't get blame, but I just didn't think the play calling was the major problem.
    Who here was criticizing the play calling? The closest thing I'm seeing was fightthegoodfight's post, and that left the door open to the issues potentially being play calling OR player injuries, but made no firm pronouncements. Actually said "I thought the play calling was actually fine (maybe run a bit more) but the execution of those plays was pretty bad..."

19. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

We have a very inexperienced and beat up O-line trying to protect a first year starter WB who's trying to throw to a receiver corp that's mostly not the regular starters. That same O-line is trying to open holes for the run game. We averaged 2.something yards per carry running. So running more wasn't a real option. As much as I love my Sooners this offense just realistically doesn't have the potential to be very good. So the defense has to be better. No "wrestling" with opposing receivers and taking a helmet off on the field giving the other team 15 yards personal fouls. Or the obvious defensive plays where our coverage players didn't seem to know where they should be or where their teammates were going to be.

Who here was criticizing the play calling? The closest thing I'm seeing was fightthegoodfight's post, and that left the door open to the issues potentially being play calling OR player injuries, but made no firm pronouncements. Actually said "I thought the play calling was actually fine (maybe run a bit more) but the execution of those plays was pretty bad..."
    No one on here. And I agree with you. I've just heard the play calling criticism in a lot of other places so I wanted to discuss what Littrell needs to do to improve this team.

Blog Entries

^During the Total Dominance Hour tonight, Traber listed OU’s three biggest problems as:

1. Play calling, 2. O-Line and 3. Quarterback play.

So, yes, it is being fussed about.

i've only coached football from my armchair, but i think the biggest offensive issue for the sooners is the offensive line. i think we could manage with the injuries at wide receiver if the line could have more success.

going into the '23-'24 season, the starting offensive line consisted of:
    walter rouse, tyler guyton, savion byrd, mckade mettauer, and andrew raym.

and going into the '24-'25 season:
    michael tarquin, jacob sexton, branson hickman, febrechi nwaiwu, and spencer brown

so... an entirely new starting line and the team is already missing its starting center. if that line can't achieve their objectives, the team is going to struggle on every aspect of offense regardless of the plays called or the skill of the quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i've only coached football from my armchair, but i think the biggest offensive issue for the sooners is the offensive line. i think we could manage with the injuries at wide receiver if the line could have more success.

going into the '23-'24 season, the starting offensive line consisted of:
    walter rouse, tyler guyton, savion byrd, mckade mettauer, and andrew raym.

and going into the '24-'25 season:
    michael tarquin, jacob sexton, branson hickman, febrechi nwaiwu, and spencer brown

so... an entirely new starting line and the team is already missing its starting center. if that line can't achieve their objectives, the team is going to struggle on every aspect of offense regardless of the plays called or the skill of the quarterback.
    spencer brown has not been and is not the starting RT ..

24. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    ^During the Total Dominance Hour tonight, Traber listed OU’s three biggest problems as:

1. Play calling, 2. O-Line and 3. Quarterback play.

So, yes, it is being fussed about.
    I didn’t say it wasn’t being fussed about elsewhere. I read Dan’s original post as being directed at posters on this board who were saying it, and I’ve seen none of that here to date. But he clarified that he meant it differently than I’d read it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    spencer brown has not been and is not the starting RT ..
    ok... so, all the sites that reported that got it wrong. obviously you're a more engaged fan than i am... i'd be more interested in your analysis of the team's offensive issues than your ability to cherry-pick one wrong name out of a list.

Thread Information