Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: HTeaO

Default Re: Mutts

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Never would have guessed it. I guess its racist name and stuck in the old west theme didn't carry well even back then.
    Educate us. Racist name?

Heap has Native American connections and at different times can be informative or insulting. I am Euro-American and not a knee jerk liberal douche. Heap Big Fords probably wouldn't attract a lot of customers.

Heap has Native American connections and at different times can be informative or insulting. I am Euro-American and not a knee jerk liberal douche. Heap Big Fords probably wouldn't attract a lot of customers.
    I understand. I sometimes feel I need to research every word I type so I don't possibly "offend" someone. As for Heap Big Beef, I don't remember it even though I would have been by it hundreds of times during that time. I miss a lot of those restaurants and shops along there, it's just exciting that the area has seen a huge comeback!

I don't even remember that restaurant but I lived southside and went to Moore. That was northside back in the day.

My old OU professor Heap of Birds would be proud Not a Knee Jerk Liberal Douche picked up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I think it was Der Wienerschnitzel. I can remember another on 39th.
    There are still some Der Wienerschnitzel restaurants around in other markets although most are no longer A-Frame buildings.

7. Default Re: Mutts

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    There are still some Der Wienerschnitzel restaurants around in other markets although most are no longer A-Frame buildings.
    There are several around Lubbock, and I think I saw one in Albuquerque several years ago.

Tons of DW's here in California.

Have not had Der Wienerschnitzel in ages.

Have not had Der Wienerschnitzel in ages.
    Since the last time you were in Wien, right?!

Default Re: Mutt's

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Took a look and you are correct..... So the Mutt's manager misinformed me! LOL
    Kamps 1910 Cafe has a fried bologna sandwich and it is delicious. (Also have great cookies)

Lunch | Kamps 1910 Café

Oklahoman reporting that Chris Lower and partners have sold Mutts to young Edmond couple who may seek to franchise the concept:

Mutt's Sold to Edmond couple | News OK

I hope they make a good go at it. Three things that make it difficult to go to Mutt's is, cost. noise level (I'm hearing impaired and can't hear squat in there), and I have personal space issues.

I wish them the best of luck, and hope TV Dinner Tuesdays stay. That's the only thing I go there for, because I just cannot justify the price they charge for a hot dog.

Mutt's could / should be better than it is.

16. Default Re: Mutts

At least the couple who bought it do have more than high hopes - they've also got restaurant experience.

I've been to Mutt's many times. But only when others wanted to go.

My problems with the place are pretty basic.... expensive and lack of focus.

I'd go in or see regular social media posts of specials that had nothing to do with a hot dog place. To me, that's a mistake. Do what you do and do it well. Also, don't over complicate it.

Hot Dogs are personal preference. What I've found is most hot dog places in the metro do one or two styles of dogs and that's it. I liked that Mutt's did all kinds of dogs all kinds of ways. Like and S&B's for hot dogs. I personally think they need to do that and do it even better going forward.

Regardless, best of luck to them!

17. Default Re: Mutts

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I'd go in or see regular social media posts of specials that had nothing to do with a hot dog place. To me, that's a mistake. Do what you do and do it well. Also, don't over complicate it.
    Exactly!..... Something that also bothered me was that I asked multiple times for a version of a pig in the blanket and was told they had no oven. Yet they regularly ran specials that I'm not sure how they executed without some kind of oven.

But over-complication is Mathis's one weakness in my opinion..... Their failure to get the basics of BBQ right at Back Door BBQ are my biggest complaint of that concept. My trips to Mutt's grew less frequent when they spent more time showing pictures of burgers or TV dinners than they did of their dogs.... Not that I thought the TV Dinner was a terrible idea but it should have been hot dog related.

I visited less frequently for much of the same reasons. I am all for having a lot of choices and styles of dogs but they REALLY have made it more complicated than need to be. The fact that they had to divide into two different sections.. "special breeds" and "standard dogs" was confusing. the standard dogs had some standards but some that I wouldn't really put in that category at all. 13 different special breed dogs and 10 Standards. That is way too many dogs in my opinion. Put them in one menu category and cut the number in half and then have a rotating special would be a better idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    But over-complication is Mathis's one weakness in my opinion.....
    I agree, with Mutt's being the worst offender, Big Truck and Back Door to a lesser degree. But the Gusto concept and menu is an absolute home run. I'd like to see some of that excellence brought back to the other very good, but with room to improve concepts. I doubt it will happen, though. They seem to all be successful.

20. Default Re: Mutts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    ... I doubt it will happen, though. They seem to all be successful.
    The Mutt's concept seems to be the least succesful which also makes me wonder how happy they were to sell it. Compared to BTT, Back Door. and Gusto, the lunch crowd at Mutt's is lacking... Those other 3 almost always seem to be running near capacity at lunch while the last several times I was at Mutt's they only had a handful of people dining. Don't know how much business they move through the drive-thru at Mutt's though.

I always found it weird they had so many choices but none really stood out. Also, if you're going to have so many choices why have such big quarter / half pound dogs? It makes sampling silly. Tried it, love a good hot dog, but never very impressed.

They should have smaller dogs, that are cheaper, and a patron should be able to order three without ordering a pound and a half of meat. This was a good idea with poor execution that could have been a monster success.

Between Big Truck, Mutts and Backdoor BBQ, the theme has been to take a tried and true simple "peasant" food and throw a whole lot of trendy gourmet stuff at it. The result is crap. Ego-driven crap. Mediocre and stupidly pricey. Let's face it, we don't eat hot dogs because they are good for us or because they are particularly special tasting judged by flavor or quality of ingredients alone. We eat them for the memories of good times they inspire. Mutts in it's initial incarnation offered up stupid combinations very loosely associated with classic dogs or high end dishes. However, they tossed on house made sauces or expensive ingredients that totally destroyed any semblance of the original that inspired the feelings that we sought to relive. Moreover, the dogs are un-eatable. Not inedible, but uneatable. The dogs and topping portions were so big that you have to choose which you are going to bite; the dog or the toppings. You aren't going to get both without spilling the whole mess back into the plastic basket. Makes me think they made up the dish and never actually tried to eat it. Big Truck and Backdoor follow a similar theme. I hope for the new owners sake and success that they turn back toward the traditional dog that has stood the test of time, born of picnics, camp outs and backyard grilling sessions.

This is a good example from a place I have been to that is one of the most famous hot dog restaurants in the country. They have a tremendous selection and the prices are very reasonable. There is always a long line waiting to order.

PINK'S MENU

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Between Big Truck, Mutts and Backdoor BBQ, the theme has been to take a tried and true simple "peasant" food and throw a whole lot of trendy gourmet stuff at it. The result is crap. Ego-driven crap. Mediocre and stupidly pricey. Let's face it, we don't eat hot dogs because they are good for us or because they are particularly special tasting judged by flavor or quality of ingredients alone. We eat them for the memories of good times they inspire. Mutts in it's initial incarnation offered up stupid combinations very loosely associated with classic dogs or high end dishes. However, they tossed on house made sauces or expensive ingredients that totally destroyed any semblance of the original that inspired the feelings that we sought to relive. Moreover, the dogs are un-eatable. Not inedible, but uneatable. The dogs and topping portions were so big that you have to choose which you are going to bite; the dog or the toppings. You aren't going to get both without spilling the whole mess back into the plastic basket. Makes me think they made up the dish and never actually tried to eat it. Big Truck and Backdoor follow a similar theme. I hope for the new owners sake and success that they turn back toward the traditional dog that has stood the test of time, born of picnics, camp outs and backyard grilling sessions.
    Uuuuuffff…

Well they've been smashing successes, so I guess they'll live with the crap and the money :-/

Thread Information