Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Haunted House

Default Re: Haunted House

My husband and I are very punctual...rarely late and usually a little early. The first time we went to HH, the owner said we were late. The next time, he said we were too early and our table wasn't ready. It was always a joke with us, wondering what he'd say when we arrived. We did like the place though, and we went many times. In the late 1980's, when I was working with the NATO AWACS program at Tinker, we got to know the German liaison and his wife. When we took them to HH, they spoke German with the owners and said they must have been in Oklahoma a long time because their German had a definite southern accent.

I hope it doesn't end up like Sleepy Hollow.

I was always intrigued by "the mystery" surrounding The Haunted House (restaurant). So intrigued, in fact, that my wife and I--just for the fun of it--attempted to locate the place by simply driving around in that general vicinity to find it, without calling in, in order to make reservations. We were not successful on that jaunt.

Later, I utilized better, more sophisticated, techniques--including Google Maps, but no GPS nor phone calls--and we found it. It was closed, as was to be expected, based on the fact that it was mid-afternoon.

Never actually ate there, yet, I'm convinced (by most of the reviews of those who have) that it went the way of Sleepy Hollow a long, long time ago. (e.g. overpriced, second-rate/average chow, annoying service and far too much "laurel resting") I do hope that the next owners keep the "Minnesota Wild Rice" as the salmon side on the menu. My wife is from where they harvest that stuff. It ain't actually "rice" . . . it's more of a grass that might appeal to ducks 'r sumpin.

Maybe the new/next owners could call it "Hotel Oklahoma" (c/o that Old "Eagles" tune) and feature Confucian Cuisine Sushi and Sashimi?

I really hate to see the current owner retire, I loved the place and she was part of the mystique. The first time I went there was in 1973 and my wife and I have gone on many special occasions and never been disappointed. I hope someone buys it and maintains the current atmosphere and all the other nice things about Haunted House.
    C. T.

Blog Entries

Exciting news!

That Bruner's menu looks great.

Interestingly, the owner of J. Bruner's has owned a condo in the Centennial (lower Bricktown) for several years.

Opening date is set for July 4th:

J. Bruner's at the Haunted House

Soft opening last night; I heard the food was really good.

Haunted House revived: Boylan to reopen landmark OKC restaurant
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record July 2, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – One of the city’s oldest restaurants has been given a new spirit.

The former Haunted House Restaurant will open Saturday as J. Bruner’s at the Haunted House, owned and operated by Patrick Boylan, owner of PDC Productions in Oklahoma City.

Boylan was a longtime customer of The Haunted House. The Oklahoma native also spends a lot of time at the Lake of the Ozarks, where he keeps a yacht and has a condominium. In 2006, he was eating at the famed J. Bruner’s at Osage Beach, Missouri, when he heard that it could be for sale. The founder and chef, John Bruner, had passed away and his wife and daughter were running it. He bought it from them and has been operating it ever since.

“It’s one of the premier restaurants in the lake area,” said Tim Jacobsen, executive director of Lake of the Ozarks Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Patrick has done a great job of holding the longtime heritage of Mr. Bruner.”

Boylan described J. Bruner’s as his hobby, and wasn’t expecting to open another one in Oklahoma City. When Haunted House owner Marian Thibault’s health started to decline and Boylan learned the house would go up for auction, he went to see who would buy it. Boylan expected to see some of Oklahoma City’s prominent developers at the auction, but they weren’t there. When the auctioneer made it to, “Going twice,” during the final bid, he raised his hand at the last minute.

“That’s the only bid I made,” he said.

Boylan purchased the two-story, 4,800 square-foot building with 2.5 acres for $216,000 in April and closed on the sale on May 29, the day before his birthday.

But the closing date isn’t the only connection he has to the property. The Haunted House opened in 1964, the year Boylan was born. His life partner Alek’s adopted name is Thibault, like Marian’s. Marian Thibault was born in Germany, as Anna Marie Fischer. Fischer is Boylan’s grandparents’ last name. Both restaurants – The Haunted House and J. Bruner’s – were purchased after the owners had died.

The Haunted House itself, built in 1935, has a spooky history, with three people supposedly dying in the house. According to the records of the restaurant, in 1963, automobile dealer Martin Carriker was living on the estate when someone shot him with a .22 rifle. He was living with his former wife, Clara Carriker, and his stepdaughter Margaret Pearson, who was accused of the murder. Before Pearson’s trial, Clara was found dead from natural causes. Pearson was found not guilty of the murder of Martin. Then in 1964, she was found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

Facing foreclosure, the house was sold at a sheriff’s auction in 1964. Marian and her husband, Arthur Thibault, purchased it in August of that year. Art Thibault died 20 years after the restaurant opened, and Marian ran it until this year. She died May 22, the same day the title company called Boylan and said he could close on the sale if he wanted.
    “She stayed alive until she knew the deal was going to close,” Boylan said.

He will continue her fine-dining legacy with the menu he has planned for J. Bruner’s at the Haunted House. He will offer steaks, seafood, and other dishes, priced for special occasions. Jacobsen said the Missouri restaurant is a favorite for celebrating anniversaries, and it does especially well on Valentine’s Day.
    “It’s a very romantic place, but it’s a very social place as well,” he said.

Boylan took over the building in May and has spent the last few months cleaning the interior and trimming the trees outside. He replaced all the cooking equipment and rearranged the kitchen. He said customers shouldn’t expect the gravel one-way driveway to be repaved anytime soon.
    “I think that’s part of the charm of coming here,” he said.

He said he does plan to continue using the surrounding land as a place for weddings.

The restaurant’s regular hours will be Wednesday through Sunday with dinner at 5 p.m. Boylan wants to eventually open seven days per week, even on holidays.

Blog Entries

Maybe it says it somewhere but has the road leading to the restaurant been repaired? I remember needing nearly a 4x4 to get to the house...cool setting once there though.

Yes, it's been repaired but not fully paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    Maybe it says it somewhere but has the road leading to the restaurant been repaired? I remember needing nearly a 4x4 to get to the house...cool setting once there though.
    Eddie,
    But I would crawl on my hands and knees to get there. Wasn't it worth the drive?
    C. T.

Blog Entries

Definitely one of the most unique places in the city, the drive is kind of part of the mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    the drive is kind of part of the mystique.
    Agree

16. Default Re: Haunted House

I was there on Friday and the steak is out of this world. It was so good that I actually asked the chef if they used special beef which they actually do.

Ribbon cutting:

18. Default Re: The Haunted House

Glad to see that Trent Alcott is involved. I figured he would be, as he and Patrick are good friends.

Default Re: The Haunted House

Dave Cathey's article along with a very interesting video interview with Patrick Bolyan and hostess, Connie Lyons.

Old haunt, new name SAME SPIRIT | News OK

I wonder how this place is doing under the new ownership?

Anybody been recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder how this place is doing under the new ownership?

Anybody been recently?
    Went a couple of weeks ago for the fourth time this year. Same results each time: great food, lousy and slow service, even at a slow time. Speaking to the manager about the service quality was a waste of time. Good food though.

My brother was asking me today about Red, Vast, or Mahogany for a special birthday dinner for his partner. I suggested Haunted House. He liked the idea but got spooked because the online menu doesn't list prices other than brunch and kid's meals. He chose Mahogany. Not an issue of spending for a nice meal but more an issue of the unknown as prices wasn't listed. I wonder how much business they lose by people that are looking for a nice night out but get spooked by no prices listed.

It is still on my list to try but haven't made it there yet.

Been there a few times. Small portions/overpriced. Not sure how they lasted so long.

Won't go after owner tweeted that teachers don't work hard enough and are overpaid.

25. Default Re: The Haunted House

The opening GM - who is a longtime & well-liked fixture on OKC dining and fine dining scene - left in the last week or so.

Thread Information