Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave and Buster's

Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

My kids are like cats.. if the toy is shinny, bounces and/or makes noise, then they are happy and occupied with it until it breaks

Damn, mugofbeer.... you sure are bitter....

If you are taking your kids go to Andy Alligators or somewhere that is actually DESIGNED FOR KIDS. That's not really what D&B's even does....

It's like complaining about the bad shirly temple selection at Henry Hudsons...

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    It's like complaining about the bad shirly temple selection at Henry Hudsons...
    +1

I heard they may be looking at a new location because they have a bar and the proximity to the church ar the corner of NW 50th and May.

5. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I heard they may be looking at a new location because they have a bar and the proximity to the church ar the corner of NW 50th and May.
    Where did you hear that, Metro?

If there is an issue, it would be with St. John's Episcopal (church & school) which is right across Brookline at about 54th.

50th and May is a long way from the proposed D&B's.

The state law is a minimum 300 foot distance from church or school, but I believe that is from the front door of the place applying for a liquor license. If that's the case, they could still probably meet the minimum.

Not to mention, they had to be aware of all this before they filed with the planning commission.

Just what I heard, take it for what it's worth to you.

Move to Bricktown.

9. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Amen to that, it's a natural bricktown attraction. You've got the food and the fun...there would be something to do down there besides just eat. Take up an entire building and make it a multi-level facility...could have a billiards floor, game floors, food floor, etc.

I agree Bricktown is a natural. Which building would be appropriate, though? I don't really know much about Dave and Buster's. If they're sometimes in strip malls it may be they won't spend the money for land/rent to locate in Bricktown. Are there cities that have them in Bricktown-like locations?

How about the vacant building at the corner of Oklahoma Ave and Reno or the vacant lot next to Toby Keith's place. There is also the Bricktown Merchantile Building on East Main.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    If there is an issue, it would be with St. John's Episcopal (church & school) which is right across Brookline at about 54th.

50th and May is a long way from the proposed D&B's.

The state law is a minimum 300 foot distance from church or school, but I believe that is from the front door of the place applying for a liquor license. If that's the case, they could still probably meet the minimum.

Not to mention, they had to be aware of all this before they filed with the planning commission.
    I guess that doesn't apply to liquor stores cause I know there's one right there next to Walgreens across from that church.

Or even that corner lot on the canal in North....

Here is an aerial that shows all the properties being discussed.

The front door of the proposed D&B's is right around 300 feet from the nearest property line of St. John's:

Last edited by Pete; 06-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Is that hotel or those two restaurants going to have a bar?

The southern most restaurant is for fast food, so I'm sure the answer is no.

As for the hotel and the other one, probably yes.

But remember, the front door only has to be 300 feet or more from the property line of a school or church.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I guess that doesn't apply to liquor stores cause I know there's one right there next to Walgreens across from that church.
    Two things to consider, which was first, pretty sure the grandfather rule applies. Two, when did the law go into effect.

Plus, that liquor store is still close to 300' from the church property line.

The front door may just be outside of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here is an aerial that shows all the properties being discussed.

The front door of the proposed D&B's is right around 300 feet from the nearest property line of St. John's:

If memory serves correct, the southern most church you have marked on the map is a drive-thru bank.

WARNING: My next comment is bound to get someone fired up. Please realize that I am just being honest and don't mean to offend anyone.

Also, as much as this may add to Bricktown if it where to be there, I am actually happy to see a development of this scale going into to NW OKC. Being a 20-something who lives and works in central OKC (not Bricktown or Downtown) I will be more apt to visit this location as opposed to if it where in Bricktown. Call me crazy, but Bricktown is way more hassle than it is worth right now. Parking is a nightmare, food and drinks are often overpriced and the crowd leaves much to be desired. If you aren't staying the night in Bricktown/Downtown, I say avoid anything south of 10th street for entertainment on a Friday/Saturday night. At somepoint I think we need to start being concerned with other amenities (aka attractions) throughout OKC as opposed to just in Bricktown. To me Bricktown is strictly for tourists and not for locals (at least the majority of the time). Putting things in other areas of the city (and I am not talking about the streetcar or the central park - those belong downtown), in my opinion, improve the quality of life for those of us that live here.

20. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Can I complain about the tickets again?

Wow, I didnt realize..........sorry. But then again, when I feel like a place is a total and complete rip off, I'm going to voice my opinion and I hope a lot of people here it and see it. If you've seen it before, skip over my comment. And I've been there exactly twice and been ripped off exactly twice. When the rest of you quit bitching about your own personal pet peeves I'll get off D & B. Maybe its just the one in Denver. Again, sorry, but OKC deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post

WARNING: My next comment is bound to get someone fired up. Please realize that I am just being honest and don't mean to offend anyone.

Also, as much as this may add to Bricktown if it where to be there, I am actually happy to see a development of this scale going into to NW OKC. Being a 20-something who lives and works in central OKC (not Bricktown or Downtown) I will be more apt to visit this location as opposed to if it where in Bricktown. Call me crazy, but Bricktown is way more hassle than it is worth right now. Parking is a nightmare, food and drinks are often overpriced and the crowd leaves much to be desired. If you aren't staying the night in Bricktown/Downtown, I say avoid anything south of 10th street for entertainment on a Friday/Saturday night. At somepoint I think we need to start being concerned with other amenities (aka attractions) throughout OKC as opposed to just in Bricktown. To me Bricktown is strictly for tourists and not for locals (at least the majority of the time). Putting things in other areas of the city (and I am not talking about the streetcar or the central park - those belong downtown), in my opinion, improve the quality of life for those of us that live here.

I could not possibly agree with you more

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Can I complain about the tickets again?

Wow, I didnt realize..........sorry. But then again, when I feel like a place is a total and complete rip off, I'm going to voice my opinion and I hope a lot of people here it and see it. If you've seen it before, skip over my comment. And I've been there exactly twice and been ripped off exactly twice. When the rest of you quit bitching about your own personal pet peeves I'll get off D & B. Maybe its just the one in Denver. Again, sorry, but OKC deserves better.
    Meh.

Most adults that go to D&B aren't going there for the fabulous prizes.

23. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    Well now hang on. I sort of teetered between that opinion and the other way. Granted, on most nights I won't go to Bricktown because it is a pain. But I've been there countless times over the last few years for business lunches, dinner with friends, movies. If anything, I think putting D&B in Bricktown would help draw people in to correct the "visitor's only" stamp issue. If we complain that there isn't enough to do down there, then why would we be in favor of something not being there?

They're going to have to work out some traffic flow problems at the May location though. I'm assuming they're going to add an access road for the devlopment from May...otherwise Brookline is a really stupid way to have to get there. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if May is divided at 52nd st. The Target entrance allows you to get across all lanes, but I'm not sure if you can at 52nd. I can't really tell from a google map that well either....i'm just not up in that area enough to remember off the top of my head.

how people can think parking is a "nightmare" in bricktown is beyond me ..

Honestly, I just don't think I will ever be a Bricktown person maybe that's my problem with the thought of putting this down there. There are a couple of good places to visit (a coffee shop, the movie theater and?), other than that I just don't enjoy it.

Bomber, you are dead on about the traffic flow problems. I work at 63rd and May and this area is already a traffic disaster. I can only imagine what is going to happen when this place opens. The city is more than likely going to have to install a traffic light on May in front of Target or put one on 50th and Brookline.

Thread Information