Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Packard's

Default Re: Packard's New American Kitchen

I think the food has definitely improved but they don't serve very late at night. I wonder when the Garage will go in to the Guardian, because that will probably be a venue that stays open later.

I had lunch there earlier this week. It filled up, but didn't look like anyone had to wait, and the barstools did not fill up. I had the barbecue brisket sandwich special with "root chips" as a side. The sandwich was great, as was the sauce. The chips were interesting, but the fries that I passed on looked better. I'll go back for dinner one of these evenings. I like the easy parking across the street too.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I think the food has definitely improved but they don't serve very late at night. I wonder when the Garage will go in to the Guardian, because that will probably be a venue that stays open later.
    Not sure if I mentioned it here, but they fired the head chef about a month and a half ago. That's a big reason for the improvement.

Packard's started brunch yesterday. I think we are going this morning.

So they fired their chef, but they need to get their act together on the service side. The brunch today was comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Not sure if I mentioned it here, but they fired the head chef about a month and a half ago. That's a big reason for the improvement.
    Good. I might give them a second try.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Good. I might give them a second try.
    The chef apparently wasn't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    More details please. Was it because the brunch is new? Poor/slow service? Did you let a manager know you were unhappy? Just curious, as my one visit for lunch last week or so was good...

Complaining just to complain annoys the hell out of me. A) If you have a problem, specify it instead of making dumbass pointless statements. It's called constructive criticism...figure it out. B) it was the first weekend that they've ever served brunch, if you can't handle inefficiency just do yourself a favor and wait awhile to try it.

I went to brunch today and it was great. Food, service, etc.

I had a great experience with the service today. No reservations and initially told there would be a wait, then ended up with one of the booths looking out at the church.

The waitress was efficient and prompt.

The food was just "ok" though. I had the biscuits and gravy. The gravy was savory. My GF did not like here eggs though. "Scrambled soft" came out somewhat dry and slightly powdery. Almost as if their technique wasn't conducive to wet eggs or as if they added something. Constantly amazed at most local restaurants inability to make eggs scrambled wet.

Fruit was good. Mimosas need some work. Way bitter and dry. The orange juice seemed off in ratio.

I'll see how it goes since I live directly next door. Plenty of chances.

Dinner there has been outstanding btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    More details please. Was it because the brunch is new? Poor/slow service? Did you let a manager know you were unhappy? Just curious, as my one visit for lunch last week or so was good...
    Yes, people were informed. And by the way, I've never posted anything but positive reviews of this place. The problems were not with the server. They were service-related -- and possibly management related -- and hopefully will be worked out. The food was decent but uneven (as you may expect being their first weekend).

Again, I'm a fan and have been of this place, and wish them well in sorting things out.

HangryHippo Guest

Yes, people were informed. And by the way, I've never posted anything but positive reviews of this place. The problems were not with the server. They were service-related -- and possibly management related -- and hopefully will be worked out. The food was decent but uneven (as you may expect being their first weekend).

Again, I'm a fan and have been of this place, and wish them well in sorting things out.
    If it wasn't the chef or server and the food was decent, what problem did you have with the service?

OK, so Packard's closes their kitchen at 9 p.m. on Thursday? Huh? I'm a fan of them but this is lame.

That's not something just they pull. Flint routinely does the same crap.

OK, so Packard's closes their kitchen at 9 p.m. on Thursday? Huh? I'm a fan of them but this is lame.
    Really? I just have to wonder, how many people actually want to go out for a full meal past that time on any day of the week. Knowing how many people it takes to staff a small restaurant kitchen, I bet that it generally just doesn't make business sense to keep a restaurant open that late. Weekends, yes, but weeknights, no. I worked in a small restaurant for a while back in high school, and we had 1 chef, 2 or 3 line cooks, 2 dishwashers/assistants in the kitchen on weeknights, plus front of house staff.

Packard's and Flint will stay open past nine when they reach a point where it makes financial sense to do so, and this is an inevitability. We're just not there yet, in either location.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Really? I just have to wonder, how many people actually want to go out for a full meal past that time on any day of the week. Knowing how many people it takes to staff a small restaurant kitchen, I bet that it generally just doesn't make business sense to keep a restaurant open that late. Weekends, yes, but weeknights, no. I worked in a small restaurant for a while back in high school, and we had 1 chef, 2 or 3 line cooks, 2 dishwashers/assistants in the kitchen on weeknights, plus front of house staff.
    Ever been to a big city?

Ever been to a big city?
    Considering I live in a "big city", yes, I have.

Do you think it's a restaurant's job to lose money so that you can eat whenever you want?

I used to bartend at Belle Isle Brewery and the full kitchen would close at nine, but they would offer appetizers (nachos, cheese fries, potato skins, quesadillas, dips, you know, simple bar food) and pizzas until midnight on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night since there was live music. I hope more places in the metro go to something like this.

I ate here for the first time today at lunch and it was very good. I had roasted vegetables for an appetizer which were deliciously seasoned. A halibut sandwhich on sourdough which was very unusual but good. All in all a very filling meal which still seemed quite healthy and light.

I was surprised on a trip to New Orleans a few years ago to see a lot of restaurants that close at 9:00 pm in the French Quarter and other parts of the city.

Bigray in Ok

22. Default Re: Packard's New American Kitchen

[QUOTE=Bigrayok;781642]I was surprised on a trip to New Orleans a few years ago to see a lot of restaurants that close at 9:00 pm in the French Quarter and other parts of the city.

Bigray in Ok[/QUOTE

I have family there and go there a lot myself and one of the reasons is they don't want to deal with the drunk people down there that late. they funnel them to the pizza places and lucky dog stands

Packard's just Tweeted this... Looks interesting:

We are very excited to introduce our new Executive Chef, Chris McKenna. Look for Cajun, creole & southern influences to our seasonal menus!

I heard that their former chef is now executive chef for the Pump bar.

HangryHippo Guest

A lot of chef switching going on these days.

Thread Information