Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

BTW, although I had been critical of Aubrey McClendon in the past, he deserves a ton of credit for having the vision and then working tirelessly to get things over the hump. Chesapeake Boathouse was the lone outpost on the river for quite some time, and then the other schools and private and public projects were actively recruited.

He also brought in Mike Knopp who was done a simply amazing job with the whole Riversport complex and he should get a ton of credit if the Olympics happen. And even if it doesn't.

Cities spend literally hundreds of millions just to make a formal bid for the Olympics. If this happens in OKC, it will have been done with very little upfront outlay of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    We will also soon be in line for all types of national and international rowing events.

Just need to complete the I-35 clear-span bridges and we'll have a legit 2K rowing course, and that length is what is required for the big competitions.

Exciting news! This has tons of potential if this comes to fruition! If this happens, this should be a boost in civic pride and put OKC on a new playing field. Hopefully, WWRA will compete and get more direct flights. This will create demand on a short term basis and if OKC gets more business travelers and actual companies move their HQ's or open offices then it could be more permanent.

My one concern would be rooms. If we can't get an nba all-star game for a weekend because of "so-called" lack of rooms, how would this look in the eyes of the committee. I know there's a possibility of new hotels before then, but wouldn't people in charge of such a big event want something a little more concrete?

5. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

yes, my thoughts exactly. We'd have the 4 year ramp prior to the games, the games themselves, and then the after effects that could prove lasting - including being a possible future co-host should other US cities want to bid with OKC hosting the water specifics.

Pete, I totally agree. I too was like why is the city keep subsidizing the River Sports; wasn't 2 years or whatever enough? Now, I"m like damn, Aubrey and Mike really put this city on another level, Olympics or not. Even to be mentioned let alone strongly considered is something the city could take to companies to prove OKC is truly on the rise.

On that note, I think OKC should target Dallas area businesses that may be looking for a close enough back-office or full relo. If the state can help as much as Stitt does for NE OK, it truly would put OKC in the tier 2 competition given what OKC is already doing on its own; further benefitting the state.

Nashville started somewhere, as did Austin; maybe now is OKC's time.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    My one concern would be rooms. If we can't get an nba all-star game for a weekend because of "so-called" lack of rooms, how would this look in the eyes of the committee. I know there's a possibility of new hotels before then, but wouldn't people in charge of such a big event want something a little more concrete?
    Kevin, TBH; I'm not too interested in the all-star games. It's really just a show off that's best suited for a big city like LA, Chi, or Miami. Not really sure what all-star would bring for OKC. I think SLC might benefit given how their metro is set up, but OKC - I'd rather have the NBA Finals and ChampionshipS than a weekend of 'madness'. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    As documented in the Downtown Hotel Summary, we already have over 4,000 rooms just downtown with another 1,000 in progress. And that's just what we know about. There are 30,000 hotel rooms in OKC, not counting AirBnB.

Even cities like Los Angeles have issues with enough hotel rooms for the Olympics. For the 1984 Games, lots of people rented their homes out and then took a vacation to get away from the craziness. And this was long before AirBnB and the like.

Capitalism finds a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The LA28 organizing committee handles all the expenses.

It's not known how much if any funding they would provide to OKC, but it's likely some money would come our way. But certainly, OKC will be paying a chunk as well.
    Oh crap. Don’t tell PoliSci and JTF

We will also soon be in line for all types of national and international rowing events.

Just need to complete the I-35 clear-span bridges and we'll have a legit 2K rowing course, and that length is what is required for the big competitions.
    And it’s also the only course that is permanently lighted making it easy to host night events.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Kevin, TBH; I'm not too interested in the all-star games. It's really just a show off that's best suited for a big city like LA, Chi, or Miami. Not really sure what all-star would bring for OKC. I think SLC might benefit given how their metro is set up, but OKC - I'd rather have the NBA Finals and ChampionshipS than a weekend of 'madness'. That's just me though.
    Yea but my point was if the NBA says we don't have enough rooms for a 3 day event how would the committee looks at these numbers when it's almost a two week event. Pete's last sentence sums it up though.

Pete, do you believe the advocacy for the new bridge was done with the Olympics in mind or was it already in the works? Accelerating the new bridge build, which is needed anyway, to land the rowing events would be worthwhile.

Except OKC struggles to find ambitious developers for private projects. There has been no shortage of demand for downtown housing, yet it is so, so painfully slow to be developed. Look at all the stalled or canceled hotel plans. I hope Dream comes to pass, because if not, who know when there might be an ambitious plan like it again.

I want to be proven wrong by OKC, should this come to pass, and I hope I am. Just have to see it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Except OKC struggles to find ambitious developers for private projects. There has been no shortage of demand for downtown housing, yet it is so, so painfully slow to be developed. Look at all the stalled or canceled hotel plans. I hope Dream comes to pass, because if not, who know when there might be an ambitious plan like it again.

I want to be proven wrong by OKC, should this come to pass, and I hope I am. Just have to see it to believe it.
    What on earth are you talking about? We’ve added a ton of hotels and apartments over the last decade including some pretty ambitious projects like Okana and First National. You’re highlighting the very few projects that have been slow to get off the ground or cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Pete, do you believe the advocacy for the new bridge was done with the Olympics in mind or was it already in the works? Accelerating the new bridge build, which is needed anyway, to land the rowing events would be worthwhile.
    With funding planed for construction starting sometime between mid 2028 to mid 2029, it would not have been for this event, though it is plausible there was advocacy for events in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? We’ve added a ton of hotels and apartments over the last decade including some pretty ambitious projects like Okana and First National. You’re highlighting the very few projects that have been slow to get off the ground or cancelled.
    I won't dive into it anymore on here. I just see constant downsizing or undersizing of projects (Convergence, Omni, Boulevard Place, etc.). Makes me think that developers here will underestimate the needs OKC has in order to adequately deliver a quality experience for visitors for an Olympic-level event.

But back on topic, I am wondering how long conversations have been going on behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    With funding planed for construction starting sometime between mid 2028 to mid 2029, it would not have been for this event, though it is plausible there was advocacy for events in general.
    Good point. I hope they will accelerate it if there is a realistic shot at us getting the rowing events. We will also need to undertake major river beautification efforts in that area. That should be relatively easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Good point. I hope they will accelerate it if there is a realistic shot at us getting the rowing events. We will also need to undertake major river beautification efforts in that area. That should be relatively easy to do.
    I know this idea of clear spans to facilitate international rowing events has been discussed for quite a while and certainly before there were any specific thoughts about Olympic events.

However, this seems to be on the fast track and could easily be moved up in priority, and I believe very strongly that was due to wanting to put a presentation together for the Olympic committee.

I still believe it's a long shot, but there is an opportunity due to the fact canoe slalom is likely to come and also because the Long Beach course is suboptimal due to the 1,500m limit.

Let's put in this way: if the Olympic committee said: "Guarantee you can get this done in time and you get rowing" we would get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Oh crap. Don’t tell PoliSci and JTF
    Using public funds for publicly-owned or non-profit controlled projects that will last well beyond a single event and profit the city seems like a good investment, and I highly doubt canoe slalom courses are as expensive as a new stadium. Not really remotely comparable.

We already have the whitewater facility.

The only expense would involve logistics and creating stands.

As you said, a credit to McClendon and others that we have this great facility to fill this niche.

21. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

and Polisci, you have to admit just like I did that it was great after all for the city to supplement the riversports district beyond the initial couple of years. I had thought it was a bad idea because the venue should start to stand on its own, but with the city's continued funding we ahve a world class facility with the likely olympic events.

As pete said, I agree we should scrutinize public spending but sometimes there's a bigger plan and/or we just get plain ole lucky, again!

Plenty of room for grand stands on the south side of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Using public funds for publicly-owned or non-profit controlled projects that will last well beyond a single event and profit the city seems like a good investment, and I highly doubt canoe slalom courses are as expensive as a new stadium. Not really remotely comparable.
    Definitely not remotely comparable when the comparison is inconvenient lol

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    and Polisci, you have to admit just like I did that it was great after all for the city to supplement the riversports district beyond the initial couple of years. I had thought it was a bad idea because the venue should start to stand on its own, but with the city's continued funding we ahve a world class facility with the likely olympic events.

As pete said, I agree we should scrutinize public spending but sometimes there's a bigger plan and/or we just get plain ole lucky, again!
    I don't want to monopolize two threads with this (especially since the news in this one is incredible), so I'll say my last on the topic here: I absolutely admit that this sort of investment is great and is the sort of public-private investment that we should do more of (the softball stadium upgrade would be another example). The Chesapeake Foundation was a large partner and all the facilities are non-profits that reinvest locally and cover costs. That's a significant difference than using private funding for a stadium that would significantly benefit for-profit, billion-dollar enterprises.

Anyways, back to this. I hope that the facilities we build for this include some shade/misters/cooling stations. Late July heat/humidity in OKC is going to be a cruel surprise to international visitors

25. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

good to hear. I also agree and anticipate the Thunder will be participating in the arena and/or the master plan.

But do recognize it is unrealistic to expect the Thunder to build a $1B arena/site plan all themself; even if OKC gifted them the Cox lands. I think it is in OKC's best interest to be the lead owner and charge the Thunder rent, with them participating and thereby benefitting/locking them into the future as OKC's primary beacon.

Thread Information