Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Headquarters

Default Re: Paycom Headquaters: Memorial & Council

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Wow WichitaSooner - that is the most violent I have ever seen someone agree with me.
    lol. If you took my post as agreeing with you, then you have quite an ability to see what you want to see... I can assure you I don't agree with you at all. You wouldn't want to drive into downtown... I ONLY want to drive, and would never willingly choose to work downtown for any reason.

I prefer to shop at stores that have their own large on-site parking lot.

I would only live in an urban area if I could get a place that had my own garage for my car, because I wouldn't ever give up my car or driving.

If I had a family I would only live in a neighborhood that was about 30-45 minutes away from my work, via driving... and had a large yard.

So, do these statements above apply to you as well?

And just for the sake of getting back on topic... If I were looking for a job and Paycom was on my radar, I wouldn't even consider them if they were downtown... but, given the thought and planning they are putting into their suburban campus style headquarters, I would gladly like to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Wow WichitaSooner - that is the most violent I have ever seen someone agree with me.
    And only you could see his comment as agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    The fallacy in your last statement is that the City IS giving PayCom a few million...
    Was sort of making a joke about giving money to a company already in OKC, that isnt hiring more people, to move downtown.

I can understand giving paycom money to expand operations here if they were considering Texas.

Probably not my place, but I think a lot of posts are about to get deleted.

Nice to see Paycom expanding.

They do a great job with hiring recent graduates [from local universities] and getting people's careers jump started.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Probably not my place, but I think a lot of posts are about to get deleted.
    Personally I agree that it's very sad that a thread about a company with roots here in OKC, that is growing, doing well, and creating a very nice employee experience has to go to a place where they need to be defended because they had the audacity to not build downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Well, maybe having to read things on this board that Choctaw should be developing an urbanscape instead of a large grocery store with a parking lot on site has me trigger happy. But, to be honest, it's like a broken record. Whenever there is mention of any business or something developing somewhere other than downtown it's automatically an instant complaint about sprawl and a condescending attitude that if it's not downtown and goes upwards it's somehow a blight to our community.

No, actually.... people that live here know what Oklahomans want. The reason homes and neighborhoods are developed the way they are isn't because businesss owners decided to make the decisions for us.... it's done the way that they know will be successful. And, your assumption that the "vast majority" would want to live in walking distance from all their needs is not only laughable, but actually an absolute insult. I can promise you have no clue what Oklahomans really want. You have some very strong feelings about what you THINK we should want if we knew any better... But, the fact is we aren't all trapped here and only live in cookie cutter homes in tract neighborhoods that are force fed to us and live lives as sorry sacks because we just aren't urban enough. In fact, you don't even LIVE HERE. How on earth can you make any assumption about how Oklahomans want to live when you don't even talk to Oklahomans on a daily basis? It's absolutely stunning how ridiculous you sound.

You want to hear something amazing? I have a 45 minute commute to work. And I LOVE IT. I embrace it. And, the insinuation that I am somehow "doing it wrong" because you think I should be walking to work is what makes me comment to you in this way. Yes, I think we should have more urban spaces and development here... because we do lack the options in many ways. And, I think diversity is a good thing and we should embrace that. But, that's far removed from killing our current suburban lifestyles because you and a few urbanists think that it's the wrong way to live.

I can think of few things I would hate more than having to drive into downtown to go to work every day. And, despite your assumptions from afar, most Oklahomans feel the same way I do. That's just the way it is. Sure there is some demand for downtown urban living... Hell, I'm 39 and divorced and I'm thinking pretty hard about moving to somewhere in the Deep Deuce/Midtown area soon. I would only move down there because I feel that as a single person I am far removed from the "scene" as it were... but, if I had a family I most definitely would not want to live anywhere near those areas. And, when I'm a little older I will surely be looking back to the suburbs for a nice quiet place in the grass that's a decent drive to my work. And, again, most Oklahomans feel the same way. Despite how it pains you, it's just the way it is.
    To some of your point - maybe "Oklahomans" want to live this way, but with all the new people moving in, the preferences of old are going to be joined by new preferences of people now calling Oklahoma home. Some of them have VERY different views about what the urban and suburban landscape should be like.

HangryHippo Guest

Well, maybe having to read things on this board that Choctaw should be developing an urbanscape instead of a large grocery store with a parking lot on site has me trigger happy. But, to be honest, it's like a broken record. Whenever there is mention of any business or something developing somewhere other than downtown it's automatically an instant complaint about sprawl and a condescending attitude that if it's not downtown and goes upwards it's somehow a blight to our community.
    I do not believe that Paycom's continued good fortune and campus expansion is a blight on our community just because they're not downtown. And I certainly would rather them choose to stay in OKC and benefit our community than somewhere else. But I do not believe that land needed to be developed in the first place, for anything. I believe OKC can do better in terms of developing. I'm not completely against developing OKC outside of the inner core, but I think things are changing and we're going to regret our patterns of sprawl development in the not too terribly distant future. But you and I are obviously on very different sides of this issue.

The comments about the location aren't aimed at the company itself, by the way. It's more the City's willingness to fund sprawl whilst the Mayor and the Planning Director say we need a walkable, quality City to attract and retain talent. Paycom is treating my recently hired brother-in-law very well. No ills there.

We could be making these statements about the AAA call center, the Integris cancer center, and more all built out that way.

HangryHippo Guest

The comments about the location aren't aimed at the company itself, by the way. It's more the City's willingness to fund sprawl whilst the Mayor and the Planning Director say we need a walkable, quality City to attract and retain talent. Paycom is treating my recently hired brother-in-law very well. No ills there.

We could be making these statements about the AAA call center, the Integris cancer center, and more all built out that way.
    Exactly. Thanks, cafe. This applies not just to Paycom, but to everything on the fringe that continues the pattern of unsustainable development that has overtaken this city. We're making the same mistakes over and over again. Cafe brings up an excellent point in that developments like this contradict the vast majority of what OKC leadership is saying it wants and needs to become a better OKC. And though they may not seem like mistakes right now, I believe we're someday going see this pattern of sprawl as a huge mistake. So many things are going to dramatically alter what cheap commodities and more plentiful resources allowed us to create in the first place.

To some of your point - maybe "Oklahomans" want to live this way, but with all the new people moving in, the preferences of old are going to be joined by new preferences of people now calling Oklahoma home. Some of them have VERY different views about what the urban and suburban landscape should be like.
    And, I agree with that... Like I said, we do need diversity and I think offering an urban OPTION is most definitely a necessity. But, it doesn't mean that development on Memorial is bad, either. The urban lifestyle here in OKC should be considered an option, not something for all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I do not believe that Paycom's continued good fortune and campus expansion is a blight on our community just because they're not downtown. And I certainly would rather them choose to stay in OKC and benefit our community than somewhere else. But I do not believe that land needed to be developed in the first place, for anything. I believe OKC can do better in terms of developing. I'm not completely against developing OKC outside of the inner core, but I think things are changing and we're going to regret our patterns of sprawl development in the not too terribly distant future. But you and I are obviously on very different sides of this issue.
    Yes, we are on different sides of this issue... and that's okay. Healthy debate about this topic is something we can all get good things from...

But, I get fired up when I'm told that the things I love about OKC are wrong and should be changed to things that I do not love. I don't get the feeling of healthy diversity from several of the "urbanists" on this forum... It's more of "their way" is right and us dumb okies should comply...

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    It is OKAY that there are other pockets of development that aren't in downtown. Not everyone wants the downtown urban experience. Plus paycom is investing here and adding jobs, who wouldn't be happy about that? (this is coming from someone who lives in edgemere park)
    True, but they didn't go into a development. They went in FAR WEST MEMORIAL Rd. between Deer Creek and Piedmont, no reason they couldn't have gone into the Office Park at Memorial near May, there is lots of plots left there, it centralizes suburban resources, and it's designed to be an office park.

Blog Entries

Some people are so arrogant and narrow minded that they think the only reason people don't agree with them is that the others are too stupid or are being manipulated or controlled. You can't worry about these people because they are outside of reality and only find comfort inside their dogmatic philosophy.

I am glad Pay Pal is expanding and offering good jobs to our fellow Oklahoma City citizens whether it is in downtown or -shudder,shudder- the evil Memorial road.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Some people are so arrogant and narrow minded that they think the only reason people don't agree with them is that the others are too stupid or are being manipulated or controlled. You can't worry about these people because they are outside of reality and only find comfort inside their dogmatic philosophy.

I am glad Pay Pal is expanding and offering good jobs to our fellow Oklahoma City citizens whether it is in downtown or -shudder,shudder- the evil Memorial road.
    Paycom. Not Pay Pal. Back to being narrow-minded now.

Lol... you guys are amazing... I guess parking lots are better than yards to you. I'm sure it comes as a HUGE shock to some of you, but a lot of people live in Oklahoma because we actually have the room for things like yards. When I visited my friends that live in downtown DC, I COULDN'T WAIT TO COME HOME and actually see something green and some open spaces.

Again, not everything needs to be some concrete urban cluster of people on top of people. The one thing we have that places like New York and Tokyo don't is the room to not live on top of each other - AND most of us like it that way. Why is this concept so difficult for some of you to understand? And, that's not a rhetorical question... I really want to know why that is so difficult for you to understand.
    Thumbs up. It gets really old seeing an expansion or new building announced outside of the core and then all you see is people getting upset and bashing because they are building somewhere they can have open space(aka sprawl).

Now, don't get me wrong. I want to more urban development downtown OKC and in the cores of the suburbs(downtown Edmond, Norman, Moore ect...). But, I would much rather live in a 4,500 sq. ft. house and have half an acre or more than live downtown. That's just my preference. I can't explain it, that's just what my brain likes I guess I don't know lol. JTF, I completely understand it is cheaper to build urban and more sustainable, but the city needs to build to suit. People choose to build out and sprawl, that's their choice and they do that, because they don't want to live in a concrete jungle. Now, I'm not saying the city shouldn't attempt to regulate sprawl to an extent, just understand why people do it. Also, over the years it will fill in on its own. Just my 2 cents.

lol. If you took my post as agreeing with you, then you have quite an ability to see what you want to see... I can assure you I don't agree with you at all. You wouldn't want to drive into downtown... I ONLY want to drive, and would never willingly choose to work downtown for any reason.

I prefer to shop at stores that have their own large on-site parking lot.

I would only live in an urban area if I could get a place that had my own garage for my car, because I wouldn't ever give up my car or driving.

If I had a family I would only live in a neighborhood that was about 30-45 minutes away from my work, via driving... and had a large yard.

So, do these statements above apply to you as well?

And just for the sake of getting back on topic... If I were looking for a job and Paycom was on my radar, I wouldn't even consider them if they were downtown... but, given the thought and planning they are putting into their suburban campus style headquarters, I would gladly like to work there.
    That's only where I disagree. OKC has of the biggest, ugliest, most absurd, inefficient parking lots I've ever seen. The average parking lot in Edmond is waaaaaaaaay bigger than it should be. I love cars a lot. Don't get me wrong. But, I drive by some of these parking lots in OKC and I physically get irritated when I see them. So much space wasted. Also, OKC needs to enforce landscaping and separating the parking lots into sections instead of giant plat of cement(unfortunately most are asphalt) and create landscaped barriers to prevent people from speeding across the whole parking lot. The best example of this is Bryant Square that I can think.

I just want to say sorry in advance for getting off topic.

And, I agree with that... Like I said, we do need diversity and I think offering an urban OPTION is most definitely a necessity. But, it doesn't mean that development on Memorial is bad, either. The urban lifestyle here in OKC should be considered an option, not something for all situations.

Yes, we are on different sides of this issue... and that's okay. Healthy debate about this topic is something we can all get good things from...

But, I get fired up when I'm told that the things I love about OKC are wrong and should be changed to things that I do not love. I don't get the feeling of healthy diversity from several of the "urbanists" on this forum... It's more of "their way" is right and us dumb okies should comply...
    This!

$10 million building permit today for a 3-story, 81,600 square foot building immediately west of their existing HQ.

I assume it will be very similar to their current structure, although this one will be slightly larger:

Not really related to the building of the new structures, but the company itself:

Paycom details IPO plans

Bulk of stock to be controlled by New York private equity group

Oklahoma City-based payroll services company Paycom has filed papers with the U.S Security and Exchange Commission to raise up to $100 million in an initial public offering.

The initial price of the stock and number of shares issued has yet to be determined.

Read the rest of BB's article on: Paycom details IPO plans | News OK

That's very interesting.

Could lead to lots of growth and new jobs for OKC.

Paycom's IPO drops on Friday, the same day as Enable.

Both will be interesting to follow.

Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

A couple of shots

6/15/2014

23. Default Re: Paycom Headquaters

I'm not sure what's worse, an IPO or Private Equity. Both tend to screw the employee over to no end for profit margins at the top.

^Like. Once the main focus shifts from providing service/products to profit margin/stock returns it is the beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse, an IPO or Private Equity. Both tend to screw the employee over to no end for profit margins at the top.
    Way worse.....than an IPO

They are some of the worst scumbags out there. IMO

Thread Information