Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toby Keith's

Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

You're from Tulsa, right Swake?

Keep your war-mongering at the TulsaNow forum, we don't need any of that here.

Patrick Guest

Here's downtownguy's thoughts on it:

"Bricktown Gets a Theme Restaurant

For years, some wondered whether Bricktown might sometday be home to a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood. I argue those chains wouldn't have added that much - yu can find them anywhere.

New urbanists preach "first, best and only." And that's what we're getting with Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill. Pay a reasonable $5 cover charge and you'll find yourself treated to live country music, a shot at seeing Toby or his friends (though clearly he won't be here everday) and a chance to grab a great meal.

We won't have the "only" for long - a second restaurant opens next week in Las Vegas. But the more I think about Toby's place, the more it seems fitting that it be the first theme restaurant for Bricktown. While some of us long for downtown OKC to be something more cosmopolitan, at the end of the day, we're Oklahoma. Toby Keith is definitely a part of that. And if millions of fans across the country think that's pretty cool, who are we to argue?

- The Downtown Guy
    www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

Patrick Guest

Another nice blog entry by downtownguy..looks like he's been focusing on Toby Keith's I love This Bar and Grill, all week...

"You're Seeking Toby Keith's Bar?

That's what the user stats indicate.

So what do you want to know? Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill opens at 3 p.m. Wednesday. It's located along the Bricktown Canal. Since the restaurant and music hall is opening on a Wednesday afternoon, parking should be too horible. Free parking will be available in Lower Bricktown (or should be free). They have about 1,300 spots there.

You can also find plenty of parking in the Bricktown Parking Garage and lots north of Main Streett. An advertisement today indicated the Bricktown parking shuttle will be running that day, but check to be sure.

Will the food be any good? It's a Hal Smith restaurant, meaning it's being run by the same people who brought us the Boomerang Grill and Charlestons - both very popular restaurant chains.

Will there be live music? You bet. Will Toby be there? They're all being coy. But if you're a fan, do you really have anything better to do Wednesday night?

In addition to the inside seating, there will be patio dining, a big television screen outisde facing the canal. And if all that area is filled up, I won't be surprised if the small ampitheater outsided the Sonic Headquarters and across from Toby's becomes a popular place to camp out.

That's all I know. For all of you out-of-towners, the closest hotels are the Sheraton, Renassaince, and Courtyard by Marriot. Avoid hotels that have the name "Bricktown" (Bricktown Central Plaza, Bricktown Suites) - they are far from Bricktown and are not in good areas.

And while you're in Bricktown, be sure to visit the Myriad Gardens, the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, ride the canal water taxis, and of course, visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

- The Downtown Guy
    www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

4. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Honestly, I probably never would have frequented the place anyway, but this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Redneck loveseats? ABSOLUTELY laughable!!! I guess they're appealing to their niche audience? I dunno. What until my friends hear about this!!! Ha Ha Ha. When I get back to Oklahoma I'm gonna gather up 5 or 6 friends and go check it out. I need pics of this. It's gonna be so much fun. Imagine, a black guy, a spanish american male, a rican' girl, a black girl and a skater caucasian sitting on detached pickup beds that have been bolted to a wall. Ha Ha Ha!!! I really don't think the "loveseats" are in poor taste. After all, it's a theme restaurant and this fits in perfectly. Coyote Ugly, the Tangerine, etc. (Vegas establishments) all have weirdly named areas that add to the atmosphere of each respective venue. Completely comical and stupid to me, but others will probably think it's pretty cool.

Nevertheless, the place should be a great draw for Bricktown and hopefully will make a killing. I think that most OKCitians like the way lower bricktown is coming along and this will only enhance the area in their eyes. Like I said, it's gonna make a tank load of money.

swake Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    You're from Tulsa, right Swake?

Keep your war-mongering at the TulsaNow forum, we don't need any of that here.
    War mongering? grow up.

Look, one of the biggest hurdles for this state to overcome is being seen as a hick backwater. This states largest tourist area has taken a decided turn to the redneck and that is not going to help, it’s going to hurt the state’s image, a lot. I haven’t cared much for Bricktown the last couple of times I have been, I liked it ok ten years ago when it was smaller, had local bars and restaurants and was more “authentic”, now it’s plastic, and fake, and now very hick. I won’t go again. You might get more people to visit from Enid, and Ardmore, but not Tulsa, or Dallas, not anymore. Bass Pro was a bad idea, the canal and theater were poorly done, and this place is the worst idea of all. You should protest it, not cheer it.

But I do live in Tulsa, what do I know.

Now, just blast me as a troll and continue with the mindless cheerleading…………..

What you say about me doesn’t matter, but what I am saying will hit you, in a month or two, when you are walking around Bricktown, you will see what Bricktown has become, and then you will know I am right. Really, you know it now, but just can’t admit it yet, but you will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by swake
    Look, one of the biggest hurdles for this state to overcome is being seen as a hick backwater. This states largest tourist area has taken a decided turn to the redneck and that is not going to help, it’s going to hurt the state’s image, a lot.
    Without ever having been there (both of us) I think it's premature to judge Toby's restaurant as adding to the "hick backwater" image that you seem to have of our state. Also, I can hardly imagine "hick backwater" folks even venturing into Bricktown. Since you've been to Bricktown, I'm sure you notice that it is not the lower income, "hick backwater" folks that swarm LîT, Mickey Mantle's, Nonna's, and Shék. Even the less upscale establishments don't attract "hick backwater" folks (at least not nearly enough to actually get that impression).

Whether you like it or not, Oklahoma is a state that embraces it's Western heritage - Oklahoma City moreso than Tulsa. Sure, uppity folks may not like that image. However, I'm fairly certain that the average Okie may not like "the snooty Northerners who think they're better than everyone else". It goes both ways and it's a stereotype game. We should just be appreciative of our differences because it sure would be boring if everyone lived in Gaillardia, drove Benzes and ate out every night.

As someone on this board was mentioning awhile back, taking out of towners to the cool establishments in OKC projects a cool image of OKC. If you only took them to Golden Corral, Wal Mart and Crossroads Mall, the image of OKC would not be an impressive one.

I believe there's a classy way to embrace Western heritage. With that heritage comes country music among other stereotypical ideals that aren't necessarily "hick backwater." You may happen to think sitting in the back of a pickup is "hick" or "backwater" while I may think it's relaxing and nostalgic. The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is another example that shows that Western Heritage can, even be classy.

I haven’t cared much for Bricktown the last couple of times I have been...now it’s plastic, and fake, and now very hick. I won’t go again.
    This is a confusing statement to me. I ride my bike downtown quite a bit and frequent Bricktown often. How one can classify the Bricktown as "hick" is beyond me.

Now, just blast me as a troll and continue with the mindless cheerleading…………..
    Myself and many others on this board enjoy comments from out of towners, especially those from our Turnpike brethren. However, your edgy comments and backhanded compliments are not easily hidden. Constructive criticism is much better than blatant insults.

What you say about me doesn’t matter, but what I am saying will hit you, in a month or two, when you are walking around Bricktown, you will see what Bricktown has become, and then you will know I am right. Really, you know it now, but just can’t admit it yet, but you will get there.
    OK, I'm going to write this one down. In a month or two I'll come back and test your hypothesis: We'll see if Bricktown has become "plastic, fake and very hick."

It's a themed restaurant which means it's going to be a little over the top. That's the whole point.

I applaud the idea as something different and genuinely unique. There are plenty of restaurants and clubs in Bricktown -- at least this is something we haven't seen before. My gut tells me it will do well.

If it's not your cup of tea, try Nonna's or The Mantel or one of the dozen other places.

And if for some reason the concept it's succesful, it won't be hard to tone it down a bit.

8. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

swake, I welcome your objections on this forum. You are a fellow Oklahoman whether or not you live in Tulsa. It is, however, premature to say we won't get people from Dallas or Tulsa anymore. I've spoken with many people from both cities, some from Tulsa who are looking forward to Toby Keith's restaurant opening. People from Dallas want to come to Bricktown whenever they visit OKC, and although some weren't impressed with some of Bricktown's attractions, they have nailed down their favorite establishments.

One of those is Nonna's Euro-American Ristorante & Art Gallery. Now there's a cosmopolitan, progressive and classy addition to Bricktown. A growing cluster of night clubs for young professionals complete's Bricktown's urban touch. Bass Pro and Toby Keith's restaurant may contradict Bricktown's urban theme, but there is something for everyone here. Hey, if it's such a bother, then hit Western Avenue, swake!

No city, even your beloved Tulsa, will make good decisions 100 percent of the time. That's a utopia, which doesn't exist on this planet. I don't see you taking the same approach to Fort Worth, home of Billy Bob's Texas and its renowned Stackyards district as you do Oklahoma City.

I am no cheerleader. I am a realist. What I do appreciate is the fact that a huge country music star (and I don't even listen to country) is willing to give a lot back to his state and community. I seriously doubt it will do to Bricktown what you say it will. But Bricktown isn't the only thing to downtown. Downtown isn't the only thing in Oklahoma City.

I wouldn't call Bricktown a failure. It's attracting thousands of people and a lot of entertainment, and street entertainment (something I read is not allowed in Tulsa).

Your claim that Bricktown and Oklahoma City will only attract people from Enid or Ardmore and not from other cities is not constructive criticism, it's a cheap shot. Sell crazy some place else. We're all stocked here.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I got nothing to add except I like this idea and am thankful Mr. Keith has the foresight to reinvest in OKC.... where's Garth? Reba? and whomever else is from Oklahoma?

10. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

I hear from alot of people all the time that they see Toby Keith in small restaurants to local bars all the time in Oklahoma. His home is here and his daughter graduated from high school in Norman last year. He is always around placing his money back in to Oklahoma where he can. I think it is great that he decided to open this restaurant and most appropriate that he opened it in Oklahoma first before anywhere else. I would probably be upset if he opened it up in Las Vegas or other big cities before his hometown. And the "redneck loveseats" is a cute idea! It adds character and is probably more appropriate here than in NYC or somewhere else.

swake Guest

Hey, I’d be happy if the city of Tulsa got all the way up to making good decisions half the time, but that may be asking too much of the group of yahoos known as the city council and mayor. It sometimes seems like Tulsa is run by a monkey with a half empty bottle of Jack Daniel’s and a magic eight ball.

That still doesn’t make this bar a good idea for a so-called urban district in a city with a bad image problem.

And, as for Garth, he’s probably at home in Owasso.

12. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Hey, I’d be happy if the city of Tulsa got all the way up to making good decisions half the time, but that may be asking too much of the group of yahoos known as the city council and mayor. It sometimes seems like Tulsa is run by a monkey with a half empty bottle of Jack Daniel’s and a magic eight ball.

That still doesn’t make this bar a good idea for a so-called urban district in a city with a bad image problem.

And, as for Garth, he’s probably at home in Owasso.
    Swake..maybe you could invest your time and energy into running for mayor...especially if they allow monkeys in office, it shouldn't be to hard to get in. Then we can have the state just as you like it since you seem to have the edge on what people really want to see in our state.

By the way, we ain't hicks round here and we're what you call em rich folk since we have indoor plumbin an all. Guess yer thankin about that there state just East of here where 'we're all family' is just a given.

Swake, you make some points, but you come at it from a ridiculous and narrow perspective. I 100% agree that this place and, in general, the way in which Lower Bricktown has been developed completely detracts from Bricktown's urban designs. I 100% agree that Lower Bricktown has gone the route of watered down tourism at the cost of local originality.

However, it is drawing LOTS of people. ALL kinds of people. All day and at night. For every industry establishment there is a flip side. The Green Door and Bricktown Live will contrast Toby's nicely in terms of music and clientele. Nonna's, The Mantel, and Mickey Mantel's offer options outside of industry fair. Lit, Venue, and Rane all provide urban chic atmosphere. Skyy Bar and City Walk draw big crowds. If you still are looking for the more low key vibe, Western and the Paseo offer enough that even the deluded Tulsan might enjoy them.

So, basically, extrapolating your criticism of lower bricktown and, specifically Toby's, onto the rest of Bricktown or even OKC really only demonstrates ignorance. And, a great deal of Oklahoma's improved national image is directly related to OKC and bricktown. It has created an overall sense of energy and vitality not seen in Oklahoma for a long time.

In addition, for all of LB’s mistakes, it has created a lot of daytime traffic which you will find missing in many midwestern and southwestern entertainment districts. Beyond that, there is still a lot of hope left to counter LB's mistakes. Main street has many places available for development, and there are opportunities to the east. Increased hotel space at the Colcord and Skirvin as well as several residential developments will greatly increase the number of people downtown at any given time.

This is not an evolution that ends at Toby’s Keith’s “redneck loveseats”. If anything, something like this is what pushes more local and original places to organically create their own district, say on Automobile alley or maybe mid-town just above the arts district, similar to what happened in Dallas as the West End’s cheese begat Deep Ellum’s cool and Upper Greenville’s yuppie vibe. And even if it doesn’t, there is more than enough already in bricktown that is 180 degrees from Toby’s. Yes, Toby’s place is going after the Okie redneck, but the fact that several more un-hick places have been successful in bricktown for a long time now shows that the trend has changed and that your idea of bricktown and it’s establishments is inaccurate and obviously unfounded.

I just saw a clip of the grand opening on newsok.com (from Channel 9) and Toby said they will be opening similar restaurants at Harrah's in Vegas, Kansas City, Shreveport and Council Bluffs.

From the video, it looked like a huge, open space.

Patrick Guest

Hmmmm, I suppose Vegas, Kansas City (a city Tulsa strives to be like), Shreveport, and Council Bluffs are all hick towns! ???

As another poster mentions, this is simply a theme restaurant, and all theme restaurants go over the top, only this one focuses on country music, not hard rock music or hollywood stars like other theme restaurants.

In a sense, I think Toby Keith's restaurant fits well in OKC. Sure, we don't want to give our city a redneck image, but is country music really all that redheck and hickish? We can be proud in our country music heritage and the stars that have come from our state. And, looks like soon, with Carrie Underwood joining the ranks, we'll have another country star to be proud of.

Yes, Lower Bricktown hasn't been completely what many of us would've liked, but it has attracted a lot of people. The more people it attracts to downtown, the better chance we'll have at getting urban attractions later. As downtownguy has mentioned in the past, I think the suburban look of Lower Bricktown will change with time. The buildings there at the present time, were only designed to draw people to the area. As more people come to the area, more developers will look at the area, and thus development will be forced to build upwards.

Is Lower Bricktown a failure? By no means. But, I think we're expecting too mcuh from an area that was desolate just a few years ago.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I hate to make this comparison, but it's apt...

Cities in Texas (and not just Dallas and Houston) don't fret over being labeled as "hicks" for embracing country music and various aspects of the local culture that most would consider less than sophisticated.

One or two restaurants do not define a city or entertainment district, especially when the themes are quite different than what already exists and is, in fact, somewhat a reflection of *some* of the local flavor.

OKC has an image of a newer, up-and-coming city that grew up with the wildest of wild west pasts. There is nothing wrong with embracing that uniqueness, especially when several of C&W's biggest artists come from the area.

I don't like the music either, but I think it would be fun to take tourists or out of town guests. And as I stated before, I think the patio there will become a hit with the locals.

And if you're afraid visitors will leave the city with the wrong impression, take them to Nonna's for their last meal.

17. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

"Cities in Texas (and not just Dallas and Houston) don't fret over being labeled as "hicks" for embracing country music and various aspects of the local culture that most would consider less than sophisticated"

That is one difference between Texas and Oklahoma. We have enough class to not take being called hicks lightly.

Will I go to Toby's? Maybe.

Yet, from an outsider's perspective, Texas has a much better image than Oklahoma.

Country music and honky tonks don't define who they are and they generally have enough self-confidence to embrace these aspects of their culture without apology.

It certainly hasn't stood in the way of their economic development, much of which is rightfully envied by most. And one could even argue that promoting this uniqueness has helped them greatly in acheiving their goals.

country music really all that redheck and hickish?
    Not necessarily in terms of who listens to it. It has attracted a large crossover crowd over the years. But let's be realistic. Much of it does come from that heritage and Toby's music tends to celebrate it. Toby's place is redneck themed and it's is in no way trying to hide it or change the image of the redneck. I don't intend that as an inherent criticism, it's just exactly what the marketing and imaging strategy of the place is. No one putting tailgates in their restaurant is trying to avoid being redneck or hickish, so I don't think questioning that aspect of the place or country music is really valid.

The more people it attracts to downtown, the better chance we'll have at getting urban attractions later.
    I agree with that. That has been a natural evolution of most spawning of urban developments in suburban cities. The truth is that you need a critical mass to support urban developments. I don't like it, but you do have to lure the dollars of the masses first. I think Dallas's evolution, where the West End preceded Deep Ellum by as a dense urban destination by several years, is a good example.

As downtownguy has mentioned in the past, I think the suburban look of Lower Bricktown will change with time.
    I don't see this happening under current development. Bricktown will need some sort of structure or series of closely placed structures not divided by blacktop that will house smaller retail and restaurant locations in order to create the density associated with urban areas and lifestyle. The fact that Bass Pro's parking lot consumes much of LB makes it hard to imagine LB being the site for any urban type development. You have to remove parking spaces for it to happen or build a parking garage. I don't see where we're going to get both an new structure for such development and replace any parking lost. I tend to think there's plenty of parking in bricktown already (I can't remember the last time I paid for parking in bricktown), but it's still a complaint and would have to be addressed.

I think we have a better shot of it happening on Main Street. I think if that corridor was better groomed, better lit, and the railroad landing was spruced up, you’d have a great strip of locations of varying size to expand into, with greater density than Sheridan. There is no reason why it shouldn’t get the kind of car and foot traffic that Sheridan gets. I think once the Walnut bridge is completed, we’ll get some more interest on that street. And it has the added bonus of being isolated enough to be unaffected by LB’s suburban aesthetic.

20. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Looks like there is already a long line to get into Toby Keith's restaurant - if it wasn't a million degrees out and I knew the kinks were worked out I might have attempted a trip to Bricktown today - nah, I'll just sit her in my air conditioned house watching those in line melt..... but I can't wait to go - I do love Toby - and this is from someone who absolutely used to hate country music!! He puts on a great show. But as you all know, Keith Urban is the true love of my life, .... now if he was opening a restaurant.... neither sleet nor snow..ha,ha
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

swake Guest

All the other locations are going to be in CASINOS, and not even very nice ones at that, it's opening at Harrah's in LV and KC, not Ceasar's.

This would bar would be an even worse fit in Westport in Kansas City than it is in Bricktown. As for Las Vegas, well, it's the capital of tacky, it would go anywhere.

Calf Fries, that's all I have to say...............

I was watching the news this evening and there was a news brief on Toby's Keith's. There was long lines forming outside.

Apparently there were people that drove 8 - 12 hours to make it to the opening of Toby Keith's.

Maybe some of us need to open our eyes and see what we really got now in Bricktown.

If some people are driving that far, are they ALL dumb and crazy??

23. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

As for me, I see the naysayers about this place as being wholly uppity and pseudo-snobbish (i.e., how COULD a county and western singer, even if from Okahoma, have that much merit as to Oklahoma, pariculary for the really uppity, DOWNTOWN Oklahoma City). Pseudo-snobbish, since, like it or not, we're all Oklahomans, not New Yorkers, Parisians, or any other place.

And, though I'm not a biggie country music fan, I'm proud of people like Toby Keith, et. al, who have pride in this state and who have remembered it by identifying with it. And, as far I recall, none others have done so in this fashion ... not Reba, not Garth, etc., but only Toby Keith.

This is Oklahoma. Toby Keith, and his country/western friends, are not our enemies. They are our friends, and they do our state proud, just like those jerks down at the OU football stadium do, from time to time.

So, for those of you that are offended by Toby's presence in downtown Okc, get over it, grow up, and, please, quit thinking that you are elite and above it all. You are not, if you are an Okahoman. YOU will never be a New York City guy or gal, even if you want to imagine it in your mind's eye, even if you percieve that is the most desirable place to be or state of mind to have. He, and other's like him, are a very good part of the recent heritage of our state and community, and I'm proud of them all, as I am of Oklahoma, as is.

And, so, for Toby Keith, I say, Hip Hip, Hooray, for making Okc your 1st place to be! And let the fun begin! (Except for those of you Okies who think you're so much better ... but, still, you, and me, are still Okies, just like the rest of us. The difference is that I don't see that as a bad or embarrasing thing.)

24. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Nice vent, doug.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

As for me, I see the naysayers about this place as being wholly uppity and pseudo-snobbish...
    It is not snobbish or uppity to say that not all Oklahomans are part of the redneck scene. In fact, it is very inconsiderate and disrespectful of you to lump all Oklahomans together as one and say that we all have to like the same things that are stereotypically Oklahoman. It's a freaking restaurant. It does not define Oklahoma and it certainly doesn't define the people of Oklahoma. People don’t have to be like or think like Toby Keith just because they are from Oklahoma. If you think it does or if you think everyone should like the same things and go along with something just because of your sense of Okieness, well, then you need to get over it, grow up, and get out and meet some new people in your own city. Let me let you in on a little secret, Oklahoma and Oklahoma City is more than just the redneck demographic of Toby Keith's and these people don't have to like or partake in anything just because it represents your idea of what an Oklahoman is or should be.

Geography doesn't dictate mentality and certainly neither does a stupid restaurant. Stop telling people who they should be or what they should like just because of where they live or where they're from. People have every right to voice their opinion of what they think their community should be, even if it doesn't bend over for the stereotype. Whether I choose to attend Toby's or not, I am not offended by it. What I am offended by is your idea that all Okies should get in line and support a stupid restaurant regardless of their own personality and tastes, just because of what you think everyone from Oklahoma should be. I am even more offended by your assertion that because you are from Oklahoma, you inherently can’t be anything BUT your stupid idea of what an Okie is. That's just ridiculous.

Thread Information