Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ken's Pizza

Default Re: Ken's pizza coming to Edmond

This will be cool. I saw the sign for it, should be a hit!

yeah, the sign's been up for months.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    yeah, the sign's been up for months.
    Yeah it has. I've been wondering if it wasn't a dead deal. Glad to see it's not.

Is this a Mazzios with different signage or is there an actual difference between Mazzios and Ken's?

I remember Ken's being a staple in many small towns in the Midwest back in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Is this a Mazzios with different signage or is there an actual difference between Mazzios and Ken's?

I remember Ken's being a staple in many small towns in the Midwest back in the 1990s.
    Unless they muck it up, it's different. Ken's back in the day was like Pizza Hut back in the day. Thin cracker crisp crust, thin layer of cheese, their own sauce blend (some swore by, I wasn't a fan) and a smattering of toppings. Mazzio's was a way to not seem so dated in concept and according to lore, possibly a way for Ken to come out ahead regarding a property division.

I love kens pizza and order it regularly from mazzio. Locations.

I will probably make it out there just to.say I did.

Default Re: Ken's Pizza

Drove by there the other day, work is progressing and it looks like they had a good majority of the slab poured. I'll be take pictures after this "winter" storm passes.

I attended a luncheon at Ken's in Guthrie. If not for the other ladies, I would have made a pig of myself. Umm, umm, umm.

I would like to see a Ken's come to Mustang.

Not a good photo, but the foundation is poured.

Seen that yesterday also the last time I had kens was in Chandler

I've never been to one. Are they a take out or more like a cicis style pizza eatery?

Mazzios was a spin off of Kens , it's thin and crispy I like it better than Mazzios though... Pretty much the same concept

Keeewl! I really like think and crispy pizza so I will probably frequent this place.

Here is a better picture, not much has changed.

Taken 1/14/14

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've never been to one. Are they a take out or more like a cicis style pizza eatery?
    You sit down and order off the menu. I loved the one in El Reno where I grew up. It had a jukebox and was a great hangout after football games on Friday nights. So glad we're getting one in Edmond now!

That's awesome.

BTW, they had most of the frame up today. Couldn't take a picture, but will later

There used to be a Kens on Broadway in Edmond right around 33rd give or take a few hundred yards or so.
    Cant wait for this as they used to have pretty good pizza.

There was a Ken's Pizza in Tulsa on the SW/C of 15th and Sheridan that we used to go to every Sunday after church. If I still had money left over from my allowance, I would pump quarters in the juke box and just before I left, play the most annoying song on the list several times, usually five or more. Achy Breaky Heart came out in early 1992 and was overplayed and annoying by mid-1992 so that was my go to unless something else was worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    That's the same thing told to me by a co-worker who grew up on Ken's pizza.
    I think this is correct, but only part of the story. If I am remembering everything correctly, the original difference was that Kens was a full service restaurant modeled on Pizza Hut’s model and Mazzio’s was a walk up self serve counter, often with a buffet. The Ken’s locations in small towns were often franchises not owned by corporate. The ex-wife did get the Ken’s business in the divorce and he took Mazzio’s but it wasn’t long before Ken bought her out and in the late 80s and early 90s all corporate stores were converted to Mazzio’s. About the same time they opened the Zio’s chain for full service Italian. The few remaining Ken’s are all old legacy franchise locations. Since then Ken has passed away, Zio’s was sold off and now Mazzio’s has started franchising again and has started a new full service restaurant chain, Oliveto.

I have never worked there and have no relationship to Mazzio's or Selby, but in high school my wife worked at the Mazzio’s location at The Farm in Tulsa which is right by the corporate office. A friend of her mother’s worked in the corporate office for many years. A friend of mine ran the call center for a while and later was a corporate recruiter there.

I like the Ken’s pizza pretty well. I really don’t like Mazzio’s. I can’t stand Zio’s, but Oliveto is pretty good.

I haven't been there since they changed over. Pizza hut is great as long as you get the right waitress.

Update on the Edmond location

Pictures takes March 12, 2014

Just drove by there yesterday and got excited all over again. Any idea on when they're planning to open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Edmond Ken's Pizza opened yesterday. Hoping to eat there later this week. Here's Brianna Bailey's article:The first new Ken's Pizza in more than three decades opens in Edmond | NewsOK.com

Are they offering a lunchtime buffett? (not that I need it though)

Thread Information