Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hatch

Default Re: Hatch

Hatch is in a nearly perfect location because it's an easy right turn into their lot as you head downtown in the morning but there is also a good core amount of employers in the immediate area to fuel their lunch business.

I'm so pleased with how this has all turned out, not only for OKC but for the ownership group who worked so hard to get this right.

I went yesterday for breakfast, around 630 after the gym. It was pretty empty when I arrived, but by 715 it picked up a lot. I had an omelette, which was perfectly cooked and folded, the ham is high quality, and cheese wasn't greasy. The potatoes are very good, well seasoned, and crispy. I haven't had hash browns like that before. The service was great, and I really like the decor. It's almost certainly going to be a hit. It also has a lot more seating than i expected.

We went today at 10:30, and while there was already an hour plus wait for two we were able to grab an open spot at the bar looking out on to Broadway immediately. There are so many options, but I went with the burrito with christmas sauce ( green and red chile). My only complaint (and I expected this with it being the first week and a busy time) was the service. Once we ordered it took 30-40 minutes to get our food and another 10-15 to get our check after I gave her my credit card. With that being said, both our meals were great and the other dishes being brought by made us wish we had ordered more. I will be back soon.

^^^^^

Yeah, we rolled up on our bicycles around 11:00 and there were a ton of people queued up outside. We aren't the types to wait more than a few minutes, so we just went to Broadway 10 and had nearly the whole place to ourselves. We'll have to catch Hatch at a less-crowded time.

5. Default Re: Hatch

Went Saturday morning about ten and the wait was 1.5 hours. We opted out and went to the Diner instead. Only had to wait 20 minutes there. Downtown breakfast is hopping.

Frontline has a 9 am and 11 am service on Sunday, so unless you get there early I have a feeling it's going to be slammed all day (unless you're lucky enough to get an open seat at the bar).

Protip use the App "Nowait" and your life will change! Hatch and many other DT restaurants are on there. We checked in when leaving Moore on Sunday Morning 10:30 AM and had a 5 minute wait for 5 ppl plus a baby once we arrived.

As far as my review - The hiccups were expected, slower service times, couple of food delivery mistakes but nothing major. My server was excellent which is always a tough thing to manage in the first week open. He was kind, knowledgeable about the menu, and was actually on top off refills including coffee/water. Migas Santa Rosa was my choice dish and it was very tasteful. Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo, Pork Sausage, Peppers/Onions, Smoked Cheddar, and Black Beans. Literally everything I love about breakfast and it was delicious. Also, my wife and I split the OK Pancake and it was one of the better pancakes we have tried.

I think my biggest takeaway is that the restaurant is absolutely stunning. I would take anyone I know there when they visit OKC and feel great about it. Lives up to my expectations for when I look for local Breakfast places when I travel and maybe one of the top 3 I have been to in general. Great ambience, the look of the Buick building, the brick, the columns is intact. Then when we left, we walked down to walk through cloud city and our friends were so impressed!

Great job Hatch!

I stopped by for lunch today. Ordered the poutine as an appetizer, which was really the size of a meal. There initially wasn't enough gravy on it, but the bartender/waitress recommended I get more from the start and I did (It's free, which helped). Fries were good, wish it came with some sort of meat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161010_122211.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	13150

Main course was the chieftan's revenge. Everything individually had a unique taste, but when put altogether, the spicy grits (which weren't spicy) over powered everything and resulted in a plain taste. Pork was seasoned on half the side.

Name:	IMG_20161010_123719.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	13151

Their grapefruit juice was indeed fresh.

Other things I noted: The restaurant is a lot longer than it looks on the outside. The parking lot could be full and there is a good chance tables are still available. Service was really good, the person waiting on me was genuinely interested in my feedback even though it wasn't entirely positive.

I'll try some other things next week. I want it to be part of my weekly rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor Tiger View Post
    Protip use the App "Nowait" and your life will change! Hatch and many other DT restaurants are on there. We checked in when leaving Moore on Sunday Morning 10:30 AM and had a 5 minute wait for 5 ppl plus a baby once we arrived.

As far as my review - The hiccups were expected, slower service times, couple of food delivery mistakes but nothing major. My server was excellent which is always a tough thing to manage in the first week open. He was kind, knowledgeable about the menu, and was actually on top off refills including coffee/water. Migas Santa Rosa was my choice dish and it was very tasteful. Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo, Pork Sausage, Peppers/Onions, Smoked Cheddar, and Black Beans. Literally everything I love about breakfast and it was delicious. Also, my wife and I split the OK Pancake and it was one of the better pancakes we have tried.

I think my biggest takeaway is that the restaurant is absolutely stunning. I would take anyone I know there when they visit OKC and feel great about it. Lives up to my expectations for when I look for local Breakfast places when I travel and maybe one of the top 3 I have been to in general. Great ambience, the look of the Buick building, the brick, the columns is intact. Then when we left, we walked down to walk through cloud city and our friends were so impressed!

Great job Hatch!
    How can you "check in" on the nowait app. I have the app loaded and can see hatch, but I dont see anywhere to actually "get in line" so to speak. I have used this app before, but usually it is after the hostess at the restaurant adds me to the wait list. Thanks for your help!

I've gone the past two Sunday's, and i think that it is the best traditional, upscale breakfast in OKC. Cafe Kacao and Cheever's may still be my favorite, but both are different in their own ways. The first time I went we walked in at 10:30 and it was a 1:30+ wait, but we were able to sit immediately at the bar. There are 20+ seats with open seating, and I think with a party of 4 or less you would be able to get seated fairly quickly. I would recommend ordering an app or two (we have had the beignets and loaded tumblers (hash browns with cheese and bacon, topped with a hollandaise sauce)) because the food has taken ~30 minutes after your order. Thanks to Pryor Tiger, I used the NoWait app this week to check in. At 9:00 am there was a 2-2.5 hour wait, so I checked in to eat at ~11:30 (make sure to check in as soon as you get there, because they won't seat you until you do. We talked to someone who had checked in with the app, but hadn't spoken with the host and waited an extra hour due to that). The app told us to show up at 11:15 and we were seated around 11:45... it was my first time to use the app so I'm sure there is a more efficient way to use it. So far i've had the Burro St. Nick (burrito served christmas style (green and red chile) and Chieftain's Revenge (spicy grits with pulled pork, fried eggs, tomatillo salsa and guac), both were excellent. The menu is large and diverse, and the only positive of the wait is that you get to see all the other options walk by. This place has killed it right off the bat, and I'm usually critical within the first opening weeks. Price point is very reasonable... You can splurge with entrees and apps on the weekend, and they offer an ala carte menu for a cheaper/healthier option for the week. They said the grab and go option will be offered soon, but I don't know what the prices will be for that. Of all the new restaurants that have opened in the past two years, I am very impressed with how smoothly this transitioned. I haven't had any alcoholic beverages there, but they have a full bar and you can order drinks while you wait. This place reminds of all the popular brunch spots in Dallas, etc. Goes to show how much the traditional breakfast/brunch offerings have to grow in this area.

I went at 9am on Monday and there was no wait. The interior finishes are incredible, the service was great, and the food was tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I went at 9am on Monday and there was no wait. The interior finishes are incredible, the service was great, and the food was tasty.
    I've realized that Sunday is probably their busiest time, especially with Frontline services going all day. Excited to try their lunch options during the week!

Went last week. Space is cool but the LED in the main lighting feature is so bright it cuts like a knife. There was mass confusion as to who took the food order, coffee order, and checked on the table. We had 2.5 waitresses and an expo who looked like a deer in the headlights. I had the cubano which sounded good but the cooks forgot to press the bread when cooked it and it was decided then and there that a bacon egg sandwich should not be mated to a cubano. My date had chicken fried steak which I think could have passed muster, date said it was a little chewy but I (being a CFS freak) corrected and said that means it's properly made from cube steak. But the gravy had been scorched (which gives everything it touches the taste of burnt flour) and I don't think anyone stopped to taste it before putting the batch in the warmer. Mama would not approve. The deep fried hash brown balls were deep fried hash brown balls. How could you go wrong? Unless they were cold. They were cold.

The good: the space is cool and the location is great. It's removed enough from downtown that it won't get reliant on the fickle and insatiable business lunch crowd. The menu reads well so if they can tighten the screws and nail it Dow. This place will be the snooze substitute we've all been waiting for.

The bad: I think I already mentioned the bad. The menu needs tweaks. It's an obvious snooze clone, and that's okay. But if you're going to do a snooze clone you've got to bring the ruckus. The menu seems WAY too big for the size of the kitchen #1. With so many items it's impossible to do 40 entrees to perfection. The coffee needs to be better. I dare say the portions are too big. It's a breakfast/lunch place right? I'd rather pay %85 of the current price and recieve %75 of the food. The real bad: The a la carte side of bacon was a razor thin tyson farms joke cooked at 5am. The (was it $2.5?) side of toast was a single, unbuttered, limp slice of brown sadness. A slice of sadness that should have come with the chicken fried steak & eggs to begin with.

Conclusion: I will watch this place with great intensity. Given that OKC considers jimmy's egg to be the de facto am eatery. They will do fantastic whether they tweak some systems/menus or not. There is a crater sized gap in the market for good breakfast/lunch/coffee/bar served 6-2 or 7-3. Snooze was romancing with pivot for a while on the tower theater. Their intent may not be entirely gone from OKC. And what we are starting to see is markets like dallas, austin, and Denver saturate and look for cities to expand. Eventually hatch will have to compete. My crystal ball sees a hash house a go-go clone (think whisky cake for breakfast by Hal Smith). Hal, if you take that idea I want a %1 equity fee!

14. Default Re: Hatch

Ate there a few days ago, I had one of the variations of eggs benedict, and those hashbrown things.

Great service, great food, great morning. I'll go back often.

I should also note that it was much cheaper than I was expecting.

I ate there today for lunch. Came in around 12:15 and sat at the bar. The place was buzzing and almost full. The parking lot was full and I parked on the street. I think a lot of people who work in the Midtown and Auto Alley and surrounding areas north of the CBD will come here for their lunch break, if today was any indicator. The service was very good. The food was good in some ways, but needed improvements in others.

I ordered the steak and eggs benedict item with the hash brown tumblers. The hash brown tumblers were the big winner on the plate, perhaps they serve a little too much portion wise. They are essentially a hash brown fritter and they were fresh out of the fryer and hot. I was very well pleased.

Unfortunately, the steak and egg benedict item was not as good as it could have been. The steak topping with the peppers and goat cheese was spot on. However, the eggs were overcooked as the yolk was too solid and NOT runny. Also, the bread that the eggs benedict came on should have been more thoroughly toasted. It was too soft and left an unfinished appearance to the dish. A toasted English muffin would fare much better in the tradition of benedicts.

However, the menu has a great selection, the atmosphere and service are top notch. I will definitely return and perhaps try an omelette or a different item. They do have all my favorites on the menu, too, so this is a place I would definitely return.

Those hash brown tumblers are the bomb.

Like really good tater tots with great seasoning and perhaps cheese? Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Those hash brown tumblers are the bomb.
    truth. finally got to check this place out yesterday after being out of town for awhile... the omelette i ordered ticked all the boxes for me, but those hashbrowns were awesome and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    truth. finally got to check this place out yesterday after being out of town for awhile... the omelette i ordered ticked all the boxes for me, but those hashbrowns were awesome and unique.
    Try the loaded tumblers app next time. They're the same as the side, stuffed with cheese and bacon. Almost too good.

19. Default Re: Hatch

^^^^^^
    Agree.

This place has me sold just on their European macchiato. It is the best European macchiato I have had since going to a Illy shop in San Francisco.

The bagels and locks are delicious. The fried up capers are a perfect burst of flavor married with the salmon and spread. Their burger was delicious yesterday with the tumblers. It is really cool to have a great breakfast joint within walking distance.

Went saturday with the Family. Was told it was a 30-45 minute wait and waited an hour and 15 minutes. Other than that, everything was superb. To confirm previous mentions, the hashbrown tumblers are excellent, as is the loaded tumblers as an appetizer. I had the chicken fried steak for my meal with 2 eggs as the side. The gravy is a black peppered gravy, and was delicious.

The service was excellent for us as well. I believe we had a gentlemen names Jake. This is now my favorite breakfast spot and we will be returning often.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Went saturday with the Family. Was told it was a 30-45 minute wait and waited an hour and 15 minutes. Other than that, everything was superb. To confirm previous mentions, the hashbrown tumblers are excellent, as is the loaded tumblers as an appetizer. I had the chicken fried steak for my meal with 2 eggs as the side. The gravy is a black peppered gravy, and was delicious.

The service was excellent for us as well. I believe we had a gentlemen names Jake. This is now my favorite breakfast spot and we will be returning often.
    Using the NoWait App has saved my group about 4+ hours in the three times I've been. Might help next time you visit. Even though it gave us an arrival time - we had to wait an additional 15-20 minutes before we actually got seated. We also had a great experience with Jake as our waiter.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Try the loaded tumblers app next time. They're the same as the side, stuffed with cheese and bacon. Almost too good.
    oh... that sounds great. will have to try that next time.

24. Default Re: Hatch

Well since they had the I-40 West ramp closed this morning, due to a head on collision ,when I made my morning adventure to the office. I re-routed through Bricktown and decided to stop and have breakfast at Hatch with the bartender Jackie.

Name:	IMG_4117.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	13199

I went with The Classic over-medium with sausage. Eggs were cooked perfectly. Sausage was tasty. The hashbrown tumblers were excellent. Loved the large selection of breads and my only complaint is that the toast, I went with Black Russian Rye, really wasn't toasted.

As mentioned earlier up the thread they ask your name and as I was alone at the bar Jackie carried on quite a bit of conversation with me while I was waiting but perfectly left me alone while I was eating. Only checking up on me to make sure I had everything I needed.

One observation about my experience this morning compared to other breakfast/diner options around town.... The place was packed with women this morning. Every other breakfast spot I frequent seems to be male dominated but there were several large groups of female diners and even a solo female dining at the communal table at the front. Overall I counted maybe 30+ women having breakfast there and maybe 5 men this morning.... Perhaps due to the location but I did find it interesting.

They did a great job with this concept. The price point is a little higher than most diners but the food is better quality than most diners. So I felt like I got what I paid for.

I haven't been to Hatch, but have been to Sunnyside several times. Can someone who has been to both compare the two? Or are they even worth comparing?

Thread Information