Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the former news anchors?

Keith Guest

Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

I was watching "The Daily Buzz" this morning on KAUT, channel 43, and I was really surprised to see Kia Malone on there. I'm not sure exactly what her position is because I barely saw her do a report.

She was always so prim and proper on Channel 9, however, on ch.43, she is rather wild. In my opinion, she went from a great anchor position at CH.9, to a so so position at CH.43.

jhughes1963 Guest

I'm not sure if Kia left Channel 9 KWTV on her own or if here contract was not renewed. I did notice her on Channel 5 KOCO, they welcomed her as a new addtion. However, after a few weeks she disappeared from Channel 5. I notice now that she is on The Daily Buzz program on Channel 43 KAUT. I do not believe this is a step down for her as someone has posted here. This program is nationally sindicated nationwide. She is getting a lot of exposure across the country now, where before she only had local OKC exposure.

Glad to finally find an OKC board on this kind of topic! I live in the New England area now as a transplant from Houston, but I recognized several people along the way with some OKC ties...

Frances Rivera of News 9 ended up at WHDH, Boston's flashy NBC affiliate

Heather Unruh of Ch. 4 is also in Boston at the city's top station, WCVB, doing the morning news

Reshonda Tate, also of Ch. 4, is a now a reporter at KRIV, Houston's FOX station...

Keep posting on this board, I miss OKC!

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4Strong
    Glad to finally find an OKC board on this kind of topic! I live in the New England area now as a transplant from Houston, but I recognized several people along the way with some OKC ties...

Frances Rivera of News 9 ended up at WHDH, Boston's flashy NBC affiliate

Heather Unruh of Ch. 4 is also in Boston at the city's top station, WCVB, doing the morning news

Reshonda Tate, also of Ch. 4, is a now a reporter at KRIV, Houston's FOX station...

Keep posting on this board, I miss OKC!
    Hi, 4Strong, it's great to have you on the forum. I am always interested to see where all of the former anchors have gone to. I'll put some pictures to the names.

Frances Rivera

Heather Unruh

Reshonda Tate

Jay Guest

Here is one that will stump all of you. Fred Norman

Does anybody remember why he left channel 5. I thought I read somewhere that he got in a confrontation on live tv or something like that.

6. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Remember Amy Gardner from KOKH? One I personally find a very attractive woman.

She is now the director of the rehab of Stockyards. Too bad she has left the local airwaves.

7. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by OklaCity_75
    Here is one that will stump all of you. Fred Norman

Does anybody remember why he left channel 5. I thought I read somewhere that he got in a confrontation on live tv or something like that.
    I remember Fred Norman while growing up. Him and Ross Dixon....who I think is still doing weather on OETA.

Weatherok Guest

Fred Norman has retired and is now living in Dallas. If you were to see him now you wouldn't recognize him at all. Television ages you prematurely. Fred looks 20 years younger and is twice as happy. He comes up to OKC quite often and visits his good friend Ross Dixon. There was a company called Weatherscan, actually founded by Gary England that housed some familiar names such as Merrill Teller, Rick Tasetano and Paul Bouchreau.

9. Talking Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherok
    Fred Norman has retired and is now living in Dallas. If you were to see him now you wouldn't recognize him at all. Television ages you prematurely. Fred looks 20 years younger and is twice as happy. He comes up to OKC quite often and visits his good friend Ross Dixon. There was a company called Weatherscan, actually founded by Gary England that housed some familiar names such as Merrill Teller, Rick Tasetano and Paul Bouchreau.
    I remember way back in the 80s my parents buying the box called W.A.R.N. which I think stood for Weather Alert Radar Network. I would beep and flash all kinds of lights and such when there was a warning/watch for anything....including wind and fog. It worked great for a long while, then went caput.

The Profit Guest

I grew up with Bella Rita Shaw in Lawton....She is now 51 years old. She was the entertainment reporter for CNN until she was canned several years ago at which time she began doing infomercials...

11. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by The Profit
    I grew up with Bella Rita Shaw in Lawton....She is now 51 years old. She was the entertainment reporter for CNN until she was canned several years ago at which time she began doing infomercials...
    I went to a movie theatre maybe 20 years ago and happened to sit behind Bella. A handful of teenage girls spotted her and she ended up autographing pictures for them. She actually had a stash of them in her purse! She was beautiful, that's all I remember before falling into a coma!

Patti Suarez appeared in a couple of major motion pictures, not to mention television appearances and soap opera walk ons. News anchoring was her second career, and she was the top rated anchor in Oklahoma City. When Patti Suarez anchored at KWTV 9, the ratings often were higher than 4 and 5 combined.

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpsosu
    You'd be surprised at how many former OKC anchors and reporters are in Tulsa now...just to name a few....Carole Lambert, Cindy Wall-Morrison, Bill Mitchell, and Taft Price (all formerly of KOCO...now at KTUL).
    And Jon Slater, chief met at KOKI, formerly of KOCO.

Also, Russ McCaskey and Deborah Lauren-McCaskey (formerly of KWTV...now at KJRH). Oh yeah, and KOKI-FOX23 just hired Ron Terrell from KOCO as their sports director...strange move.
    I like the move.

Dan Threlkeld (former KFOR meteorologist) is now chief meteorologist at KJRH. Wouldn't you think these moves are in the opposite direction???
    I don't like Dan as chief as much as I thought I would.

I'm sure it's the same for former Tulsa reporters and anchors now in Oklahoma City.
    The only one I can think of presently is former KOKI reporter Jennifer Pierce, who last I heard was at KWTV. Oh, and KOCO's Aaron Tuttle, who used to be at KTUL. And Mike Morgan, formerly of KJRH. More than I thought.

jlee0414 Guest

Does anyone know what happened to David Payne, KFOR weatherman. I haven't seen him lately.

voyager2 Guest

Somebody asked about Dan Slocum and I am not trying to be gross or offensive, but someone told me that the reason he left was he was involved in that Mathis Brothers fiasco, most of you Okc residents will remember that. I think he left not too much longer after that. I am not saying its true its just what I heard.

16. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by voyager2
    Somebody asked about Dan Slocum and I am not trying to be gross or offensive, but someone told me that the reason he left was he was involved in that Mathis Brothers fiasco, most of you Okc residents will remember that. I think he left not too much longer after that. I am not saying its true its just what I heard.
    For those that were not here or did not hear about it, what was the "Mathis Brothers fiasco?" I am among those that missed hearing about it.

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    For those that were not here or did not hear about it, what was the "Mathis Brothers fiasco?" I am among those that missed hearing about it.
    I don't know if it's true or not, but the rumor involved Slocum, one of the Mathis Brothers, and a gerbil at a gay pride parade. You can connect the dots. At least that's how I heard it, but I'm sure there are different versions of the events.

Speaking of Dan, and I don't think it's mentioned here, I believe he is now a news anchor at KOMO radio in Seattle.

18. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by okcerintul
    I don't know if it's true or not, but the rumor involved Slocum, one of the Mathis Brothers, and a gerbil at a gay pride parade. You can connect the dots. At least that's how I heard it, but I'm sure there are different versions of the events.

Speaking of Dan, and I don't think it's mentioned here, I believe he is now a news anchor at KOMO radio in Seattle.
    Yeah, it's one of OKCs most famous urban legends. Seems like most everyone knows someone who was involved in that incident in some capacity.

For instance, I was once worked with a lady who claimed to be an ER nurse who just happened to have been working that night they came in to the ER.

:spin:

19. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    Yeah, it's one of OKCs most famous urban legends. Seems like most everyone knows someone who was involved in that incident in some capacity.

For instance, I was once worked with a lady who claimed to be an ER nurse who just happened to have been working that night they came in to the ER.

:spin:
    I remember someone writing about this now. I doubt it is true. That is like something the defense tried to claim as what happened to a four year old in a child rape trial were I served on the jury. I did not buy it.

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    I remember someone writing about this now. I doubt it is true. That is like something the defense tried to claim as what happened to a four year old in a child rape trial were I served on the jury. I did not buy it.
    True or not, I doubt it had anything to do with Slocum leaving OKC. I first heard the story in probably '85 or '86. I don't think he left channel 4 until around '89.

The rediculous tale had many versions and all were completely rediculous and had no credibility. Many people think that Slocum's rival Jerry Adams, who was bumped from weekday newscast to make room for Slocum, initiated the wild tales. Adams had a serious drug and alcohol problem and was fired from channels 4,5, and 9 because of his serious problems. If you have seen Jerry Adams in the last couple of years, he is emaciated and shrunken as a result of many years of serious drug and alcohol problems.

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardEll
    The rediculous tale had many versions and all were completely rediculous and had no credibility. Many people think that Slocum's rival Jerry Adams, who was bumped from weekday newscast to make room for Slocum, initiated the wild tales. Adams had a serious drug and alcohol problem and was fired from channels 4,5, and 9 because of his serious problems. If you have seen Jerry Adams in the last couple of years, he is emaciated and shrunken as a result of many years of serious drug and alcohol problems.
    The Jerry Adams story has just as much credibility as the Dan Slocum story. Granted, Jerry Adams was arrested for illegally obtaining prescription drugs in the mid 90's, but he has been out of trouble since. He was not fired by 9. They chose to not renew his contract in favor of hiring Roger Cooper. He then left 4 in favor of a better contract offer by 5. He was not fired by 5, he left to become a marketing manager and ad man for Jim Glover Dodge.

23. Exclamation Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by okcerintul
    The Jerry Adams story has just as much credibility as the Dan Slocum story. Granted, Jerry Adams was arrested for illegally obtaining prescription drugs in the mid 90's, but he has been out of trouble since. He was not fired by 9. They chose to not renew his contract in favor of hiring Roger Cooper. He then left 4 in favor of a better contract offer by 5. He was not fired by 5, he left to become a marketing manager and ad man for Jim Glover Dodge.
    I remember hearing a news story about something happening to him while he was living in Arkansas. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but he was working with race horses at the time.

Anyone else know about this???

Debbie Faubion, an attractive brunette, who was replaced by the all time ratings magnet, Patti Suarez, is still a popular anchor at a network affiliate in the carolinas

The last time I saw Jerry Adams, he was walking down western ave. around some inexpensive housing projects, and he looked like the skinny emaciated people you see around homeless shelters.

Thread Information