Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

1. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    I boo above average temps too. I love winter. I love cold weather. And it not because I sit in the house when it's cold. I love being outside when it's cold. I would love for it to be 15 degrees with 3 feet of snow on the ground. The colder and snowier it is...the better. My best memories of football games are of going when it was super cold. In high school, I was in the band and my best memory was a game when we had to put kerosene in our horns to keep the valves from freezing up. It was a blast. My favorite memory of an OU game was a night game when it was in the low 20's/teens and raining all game. We had a blast. And we didn't even drink.

Were it not for family and ailing parents on both sides, I would move somewhere that is cold weather with lots of snow. But my commitments are here. So, count me as one who boos above average winter temperatures and below average winter precipitation. I even love driving when it is snowy. I'm 54 and have always felt this way. Cold and snow makes me feel like a kid.
    I think most know my position on this. I am much more active outside in the cold than the warm. I really dislike hot weather, but I take the good with the bad here. The nice thing about Oklahoma, you usually get a good mix - though the last few years have had pretty mild or short winters. This 30s/40s and rain is horrible and just makes me want to sleep all day. Give me 20s and snow or 60s and sunny with a good breeze.

2. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Does appear the eastern solution worked out and rain chances for Central OK are pretty much done for now - outside of any drizzle. Not really a lot at all on the horizon for the next 10-14 days.

3. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I think most know my position on this. I am much more active outside in the cold than the warm. I really dislike hot weather, but I take the good with the bad here. The nice thing about Oklahoma, you usually get a good mix - though the last few years have had pretty mild or short winters. This 30s/40s and rain is horrible and just makes me want to sleep all day. Give me 20s and snow or 60s and sunny with a good breeze.
    I work outside when it's cool/cold..... I fish when it's warm/hot...... I'll fire up my smoker in any weather!

I have to say BOOOOOOO!!!! to that winter drought map though!

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

One small area of showers popped up over in Caddo county here in the last bit. It'll be moving NE and will probably get the West sides of the metro. Might be able to get a little rain out of it for us if it can expand a bit more, otherwise most areas west of a Tulsa to Ardmore line are done.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

OKC will be close to a record high on Sunday. Record 73 set in 1935. High temp will be near 70.

Just heard a new record high was set for today. 74 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just heard a new record high was set for today. 74 degrees
    Yeah, I don't recall the TV weathermen excitedly warning us that was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Yeah, I don't recall the TV weathermen excitedly warning us that was going to happened.
    Are you being sarcastic? I honestly didn't know..... I don't generally watch the weather on TV, 99% of my weather updates either come from these thread or just word of mouth.

Wish we'd get some rain.

Any thoughts from our weather gurus on later this month/early next?

Saw that https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi posted this cold and snowy potential:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bd8I8lkCUAA72E3.pnglarge.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	6046

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

It's interesting to see the models picking up on something that far out, but that is also the problem. It is so far out that the level confidence just isn't there to even worry at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Any thoughts from our weather gurus on later this month/early next?

Saw that https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi posted this cold and snowy potential:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bd8I8lkCUAA72E3.pnglarge.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	6046

I think it is blown out of context. Long-range GFS is almost always chaos. Yes sometimes it generally pans out as such, but what the graphics above are pointing to, is the congo line of storms riding the jetstream. Models that far out are basically taking shots in the dark on moisture return in between systems and cold, dry air flooding through.

However, I will agree that our boring pattern the last 2 months could be coming to an end by the end of January.

Boring? We've had a couple of stupendous ice storms!

I meant after that, technically more like a month, but by the end of January it will have basically been 2 months of boring weather. The icestorms at the beginning of December should have been warm-up storms to the real winter storms... However, we're still waiting on those storms .

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I meant after that, technically more like a month, but by the end of January it will have basically been 2 months of boring weather. The icestorms at the beginning of December should have been warm-up storms to the real winter storms... However, we're still waiting on those storms .
    I'll be perfectly content if nothing "exciting" happens at all.

Long range bread and milk watch beginning January 24-25 ish.

I saw that we might have some rodeo weather on the way. Pick up some pot roast with the bread and milk.

^ +1

Its better that we be in a dry pattern now, when evaporation rates are so low and everything is dormant than in April and May when we usually get good rain...
    I don't mind missing out on ice and drifting snow.
    The WX pattern has plenty of time to change.

PS: the city of Norman just picked up my tree limbs today.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Its better that we be in a dry pattern now, when evaporation rates are so low and everything is dormant than in April and May when we usually get good rain...
    I don't mind missing out on ice and drifting snow.
    The WX pattern has plenty of time to change.

PS: the city of Norman just picked up my tree limbs today.
    They must be behind as many areas of our fine burg still have limbs curbside. However I am glad the city is taking care of it and not leaving it to our own devices.

21. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

They got ours picked up last week, so no worries here. Though I had to laugh at neighbors that completely chopped down some trees (that had little to no damage) to take advantage of the pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    They got ours picked up last week, so no worries here. Though I had to laugh at neighbors that completely chopped down some trees (that had little to no damage) to take advantage of the pick up.
    I saw some of that too...I can't say as I blame them.
    But I did see some of it cut into firewood per my suggestion.
    I have always wondered why we don't see more people cutting up firewood following some of our storms?

23. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I saw some of that too...I can't say as I blame them.
    But I did see some of it cut into firewood per my suggestion.
    I have always wondered why we don't see more people cutting up firewood following some of our storms?
    Not sure. It would make sense for some. I have a gas fireplace so totally worthless for me, but I use the logs to help reinforce the washout in my backyard along the drainage creek the city has there.

Okay, time for some weather finally. This is all long range. Next 10 days looks like mild and dry will high to extreme fire danger every few days. A couple blasts of arctic air in the Great Lakes over the next week before another big outbreak moves south. Should really establish itself by the 28th give or take a day or two. Some areas of the Northern Plains and Great Lakes will be well below zero. For us...just cold - teens and twenties.

Snowfall outlook: Maybe some in the state around the 27th and through the end of the month. No major, end of the GFS forecast window, snowpocolypses or anything.

Precip outlook: Light rain E OK on the 23rd, again the 27th, then on the 31st (likely snow). Dry the rest of the time which won't help hold back drought conditions and fire weather concerns.

High/Extreme Fire Days (gusty winds + < 30% RH): 16th - C & W, 17th - SW, 18th - NW, 19th - NW, 24th - W, and 27th - W.

Two apocalypses showing up around January 25-27 and again 29-31.

Meaningless this far out, other than potential weather pattern change that favors precip in main body of OK.

The updated drought monitor as of Jan. 14th has more of the yellow area for abnormally dry conditions advancing further east. It now includes Tulsa, Stillwater, Enid, and Oklahoma City.

Thread Information