Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: school closings?

Default Re: school closings?

What is so crazy about this is that back years ago it took a record breaking snow fall like the one we had over Christmas to close the schoold down. Now if one snowflake falls, schools start closing.

You cannot really blame the schools their in a no win situation. If they don't close they are going here about from every over protective parent in the city. If they close, they are going to here about it from all the other parents in June when most people schedule their vacations.

I honestly think a better option would be to start having online classes for snow days. Most people have a computer with high speed internet access. The few that do not could be given gently used desktops or notebooks with wireless cards. You could restrict the wireless cards to certain hours and certain programs.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    ... you don't just stop because, well, its not a primary artery.
    Actually, that's pretty much what they do. Not saying it oughta be that way, but I also don't wanna speculate on the additional cost to go into every bit of OKC, urban and rural alike, to get the roads kid friendly. Shoot, I don't wanna consider the cost for Norman for that matter.

I tend to think that the school system's overly cautious attitude in recent years has more to do with the fear of a child slipping and falling on ice on their property, exposing them to lawsuit potential, than it does with the child's actual safety.

Thread Information