Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434489 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    You are so completely wrong. I have no desire to personally teach you to conserve. I have been trying for months to tell you, there is no more water here. You need to conserve during a drought so you can get thru it, not us, YOU. I would prefer we all have plenty of water including YOU! Canton's water is gone, we cannot get it back for you. I've explained the situation we all face. There is a drought, you have expanded your demands. We simply do not have enough water to continue this way. You must find other sources to supplement your supply. It doesn't matter what Canton wants, our situation is out of anyone's hands. You have control of your situation, if you don't change, at least until the drought is over in western OK, you will be in the same situation. No water.
    Well, it seems that you very much are trying to teach us to conserve.... given the second bolded statement... and speaking of THAT statement. Please enlighten us as to why it is OKC that needs to conserve while the people of Canton somehow don't?

And, let's not forget the original purpose of Canton Lake in the first place. The dam and lake were built for the purpose of flood control. Any irrigation and/or recreational benefits created by having the lake are strictly ancillary in nature and are far from something required to be provided to you or any other residents in the area. By all accounts OKC is helping with the flood control by taking some of the lake's water. Don't worry... Because of what we do here in the metro, you and your family are safe from the floods. You're welcome.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Fact: Lake Hefner was painfully low.
    Fact: OKC drew water from Canton Lake to bring Lake Hefner back to an acceptable level.
    Fact: OKC has every legal right to do so.
    Fact: If Canton Lake isn't given a chance to serve as a proper reservoir for OKC, by returning to pre-draw levels, OKC will be like an unflushable toilet.
    Fact: If Canton's neighbors in OKC don't change their mindset about wasting water, OKC will be up a dry, stinking, creek without a paddle.

Obvious Tunnel-Visioned Conclusion: Don't worry about it. We can suck every lake in the state dry if we want to. It is our right. (even if wrong).

Fact: We don't take water from Canton lake every year.

Fact: Sometimes they have so much water they have to send it down to us even if we don't want it.

(Or should I say, we send it down to ourselves, since the people in OKC are more in number and pay off the same federal tax schedule as the people in Canton. Thus, the empty parts of the lake are ours as much as they are the residents of Canton. And the water is all ours.)

Agreed. Yet, since we cannot control the amount of rainfall that may or may not fall upon the just and the unjust no matter who or where they may be (especially during a global warming drought period) wouldn't it be wise not to waste water? (like for . . . oh, i dunno . . . maintaining decorative lawns?)

btw: is the "they" referred to in your previous post The Army Corps of Engineers or The Cantonites (regarding flooding USOKC) with excess water?

"They" know who they are, even if we don't!

I know that the folks in the area of Canton are my neighbors. I have no axe to grind one way or the other on that. I have no feeling one way or the other on the fishing/other concessionaires by the artificially created Canton Lake who may be suffering an economic hardship right now because of We OKCityans dragging down their lake level. All I'm saying is that All of US need to be very aware of how valuable water is and act accordingly (in the context of climate change and the vagaries of nature).

(and i'm about as far from being one of those EnvironMentalNut Greensters [<warning: invented word] as one can be. =)

edited to add: driving my wife to a dr. appt. this morning, westbound on hefner rd. below our recently restored water supply, i noticed a tractor-trailer rig, eastbound up there on the two-lane bicycle/jogger/"road" above me. i thought that was "dam" unusual. (my wife suggested that he probably made a wrong turn. i had to agree. common sense dictated it. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    edited to add: driving my wife to a dr. appt. this morning, westbound on hefner rd. below our recently restored water supply, i noticed a tractor-trailer rig, eastbound up there on the two-lane bicycle/jogger/"road" above me. i thought that was "dam" unusual. (my wife suggested that he probably made a wrong turn. i had to agree. common sense dictated it. =)
    Why is that dam truck driving on the dam road? Wrong turn? Eh, sure... that theory holds water.

I know it is hard for some to believe, but we are no longer talking about concessions and businesses in Canton, as you say, only some in OKC care anyway.

I am talking about the coming problems for those totally dependent on Hefner water. The illusion is water is again plentiful for OKC, and it is for most, but for some, the danger is as real today as it was a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Why is that dam truck driving on the dam road? Wrong turn? Eh, sure... that theory holds water.
    and i think i read something about grazing goats on the facade of the damn dam KEEPING DOWN THE GRASS . . .
    (undermining the foundation is more like it)
    (good observational humor, Wichita, btw. in case you missed my appreciation . . . )

Yet, seriously . . .
    I have to say that had I chosen to fight [the] law I would have, but [the] law would still have won/prevailed.
    (refer to most recent post, by law, above)

"the illusion of free [and unlimited] water" nails it.
    specifically the "illusion" part.

Remember?:
    I am talking about the coming problems for those totally dependent on Hefner water. The illusion is water is again plentiful for OKC, and it is for most, but for some, the danger is as real today as it was a few weeks ago.

so . . . "if all of it is OUR water" . . . then why does the original thread title imply that OUR/OKC has to buy it?

Man, if we get anymore rain, the dam might turn into a spillway...lol.

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

I know it is hard for some to believe, but we are no longer talking about concessions and businesses in Canton, as you say, only some in OKC care anyway.

I've been silent for this entire thread. But Law, I would have taken this comment as sincere a few weeks ago. But as you have degenerated from good posts to simply jumping in every few posts with some rude or condescending remark I have real trouble taking you seriously anymore. You have lost all credibility. I now agree with the posts a few posts ago that you really need to just go away. I am one of those in the area served by lake Hefner. I am very concerned. I have cut my usage to inside only and watch how we use that. But with your attitude lately (other than this one post) you are no longer adding anything worthwhile.

My comments are sincere. I appreciate your cutting usage, I truly hope it helps you. Most of my posts lately have only been about your problems that might occur, answered questions about lake levels, etc. If you shoot the messenger who will sound the warning? Why does it offend you so much when I say you are in danger? You don't have to read my posts. You can simply skip them.

What I say has nothing to do with any local businesses or the fish. Since you cannot see my face, or know my heart, I am telling you the honest truth, no love of OKC or hate of OKC.

These are facts. Canton Lake is at 1602.1 There are some storms near here, hopefully that will help. This summer, especially if we have many 100+ days, Canton Lake will loose at least 5 ft to evaporation. That will drop the Canton Lake level to 1597. OKC storage ends at 1596.5. If you draw .5 ft, you will not receive any water.

Well I know canton lake did get some rain today! That is fact!

If I had the power I would set up a huge storm right over canton for 40 days and 40 nights. Maybe then some people would shut up.

appreciate your cutting usage, I truly hope it helps you. Most of my posts lately have only been about your problems that might occur
    The thing that is getting to most of us, is not only that you dont move on - but the constant need to lecture US on what we should do with OUR water. Its unfortunate about Canton lake, but its a man made lake that was created for drinking water and the city has owned the rights to it for decades.

Its quite literally the same as selling your mineral rights then being mad (and posting almost 1000 times about how pissed you are) when they finally decide to drill on your property.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    The thing that is getting to most of us, is not only that you dont move on - but the constant need to lecture US on what we should do with OUR water. Its unfortunate about Canton lake, but its a man made lake that was created for drinking water and the city has owned the rights to it for decades.

Its quite literally the same as selling your mineral rights then being mad (and posting almost 1000 times about how pissed you are) when they finally decide to drill on your property.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.
    Only since the 90's, and you don't own the water, you lease the storage, and we didn't sell the rights.

Only since the 90's, and you don't own the water, you lease the storage, and we didn't sell the rights.
    over 20 years ago...

you need a hobby or some friends. maybe you can visit your water at hefner, eufuala or kerr and just cry it all out so you can move on.

We didn't sell the rights.

Right now, Texas is saying we need drinking water, and OK is saying no. What is the difference? Canton, OKC...OKC, Dallas? They have more people in need than OKC.

Im kinda bored and its raining here. Im going to go water my yard. See you guys later.

Right now, Texas is saying we need drinking water, and OK is saying no. What is the difference? Canton, OKC...OKC, Dallas? They have more people in need than OKC.

OKC owns Canton water. Texas doesn't own Ok. water. OKC just took what was theirs to begin with so why all the bellyaching? Canton people had to know the day was coming when OKC would pull the plug and make the drain.

Besides,who cares what the hell Texas wants? That state can dry up and blow away for all I care. I can't stand texas and I would't pizz in a bottle and give it to them if they were on hand and knee.

It really doesn't change anything, except for you.

OKC does not own water. They own storage. I'm only warning you. OKC has pulled the plug it's gone. You have what you can get. There is nothing left to give you. I read my recent posts, except for the spat with mkjeeves, I have tried to be only short responses, factual and unemotional.

"Besides,who cares what the hell Texas wants? That state can dry up and blow away for all I care. I can't stand texas and I would't pizz in a bottle and give it to them if they were on hand and knee."

LOL! That's kinda my impression of how you feel about western OK.

Going to put down a few hundred gallons of canton yard juice. Just what the lawn doctor ordered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130529_182840.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	3767

Good for you! It's a race to the bottom of both lakes. Use Hefner/Overholser asap, Canton will evaporate, doesn't change anything for us, only for you. No offense intended.

Thread Information