Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424388 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Overholser is as full as the city wants it.
    That may be. Do you think they will flow any additional water downstream and try to keep it where it is now, at 1238?

It was at 1240.12 in November of 2011, the high of the last official 12 month report period. Still about two feet more than now and two feet less than 2007.
    http://wdr.water.usgs.gov/wy2012/pdfs/07240500.2012.pdf

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Thank you Buffalo Bill. That was tropical storm Erin, an inland hurricane. News media in choppers could not discern the North Canadian River from other flood waters. I have heard many quote the 2007 level as kind of a "normal" number. OKC must leave space for a toad strangler between Canton and OKC. So, they will be letting water go by. On the other hand, those at Eufaula should be happy.

From the 2012 report linked above:

EXTREMES FOR CURRENT YEAR.--Maximum contents, 13,830 acre-ft, Nov. 10, (2011) elevation 1240.12 ft.; minimum, 2,190 acre-ft, Oct. 07, elevation, 1231.08 ft.

Was that a deadly tropical storm and flood?

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    From the 2012 report linked above:

EXTREMES FOR CURRENT YEAR.--Maximum contents, 13,830 acre-ft, Nov. 10, (2011) elevation 1240.12 ft.; minimum, 2,190 acre-ft, Oct. 07, elevation, 1231.08 ft.

Was that a deadly tropical storm and flood?
    That was just after a draw from Canton Lake. Canton Lake water is being released to replenish lakes in Oklahoma City | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    So it would seem to me if they took a planned draw in 2011 and raised the level to two more feet than it is now, it's not full now.

I took a break and dropped by the dam a minute ago. They aren't flowing water out of the canal or the lake. (They can do either or both.) The gates on the lake side of the dam are set about 4 feet above the lake level. The canal water level is higher, thus there is only maybe a couple of feet to the top of the gates on that side.

I get they don't want it to be full to the brim so every rain washes over but "full to the brim" is not a correct statement.

So it would seem to me if they took a planned draw in 2011 and raised the level to two more feet than it is now, it's not full now.

I took a break and dropped by the dam a minute ago. They aren't flowing water out of the canal or the lake. (They can do either or both.) The gates on the lake side of the dam are set about 4 feet above the lake level. The canal water level is higher, thus there is only maybe a couple of feet to the top of the gates on that side.

I get they don't want it to be full to the brim so every rain washes over but "full to the brim" is not a correct statement.
    Someone else said full to the brim. It doesn't change what is in Canton.

Eufaula is very full. There is basically no beaches left. Everything east of OKC should be spilling over. Above normal rains in a relatively short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Eufaula is very full. There is basically no beaches left. Everything east of OKC should be spilling over. Above normal rains in a relatively short period of time.
    Thank dog!

Thank dog!
    No help for Canton or Hefner users. But, you go ahead and thank that dog. See where it gets you.

No help for Canton or Hefner users. But, you go ahead and thank that dog. See where it gets you.
    Some of us are happy others across the state besides ourselves have rainfall and an end to the drought where it seems Cantonites only care about themselves. Pity.

Tornado warning on that cell in the pandhandle. Drifting north.

EDIT: Thought I was in weather thread.... lol

Pity? If OKCites had cared about anybody else, we wouldn't have this problem. Canton people are in OKC now working on tornado damage. When the tornado hit Canton, where were you.

Pity? If OKCites had cared about anybody else, we wouldn't have this problem. Canton people are in OKC now working on tornado damage. When the tornado hit Canton, where were you.
    I notice you didn't say "I, La W. am in OKC working on Tornado damage." Where are you?

Are you not happy most of the state is getting rain and the drought is ending?

I notice you didn't say "I, La W. am in OKC working on Tornado damage." Where are you?

Are you not happy most of the state is getting rain and the drought is ending?
    I have friends and family there working and I have donated money. I'm sure you did the same?

I am happy some of the state is getting rain, but the drought is has not ended here. OKC's water demands have not lessened, but rather have continued to grow. Because some of the drought threat is lessened in the east, many will not see a need to conserve. Unless we get a lot of rain above Canton, those dependent on Hefner will have great difficulties.

Same AND have given my own time to help homeowners in Moore dig through the rubble. It's not the first time I've worked disasters that didn't directly affect me either.

I read everything else you said to be about Canton. You would like us outside of Canton to not have enough water, and thus we would learn to conserve and thereby help Canton. (Faulty reasoning BTW) You don't care about the difficulties those dependent on Hefner have, or anyone else downstream has. That's clear. You care about Canton.

I'll remind myself next time to not take what you say and apply it as if others from Canton said it. While I know you do speak for a lot of Cantonites, you don't speak for all of them. I'm sure many would shudder at the thought.

Same AND have given my own time to help homeowners in Moore dig through the rubble. It's not the first time I've worked disasters either.

You would like us outside of Canton to not have enough water, and thus we would learn to conserve.
    You are so completely wrong. I have no desire to personally teach you to conserve. I have been trying for months to tell you, there is no more water here. You need to conserve during a drought so you can get thru it, not us, YOU. I would prefer we all have plenty of water including YOU! Canton's water is gone, we cannot get it back for you. I've explained the situation we all face. There is a drought, you have expanded your demands. We simply do not have enough water to continue this way. You must find other sources to supplement your supply. It doesn't matter what Canton wants, our situation is out of anyone's hands. You have control of your situation, if you don't change, at least until the drought is over in western OK, you will be in the same situation. No water.

just go away, whats done is done. no amount of you complaining will change contracts that have been in place for decades. you have plenty of drinking water and if you want recreation drive somewhere like the rest of us.

can we please ban this guy, this is worse than the train thread.

He's annoying, sure. And we've covered several times, we anticipate lots of growth in the next 50 years. We have rights from Sardis Lake, the Kiamichi River, Hugo Lake, McGee Creek and Canton. We have a massive pipeline project planned and are building an additional storage lake in SE OKC in addition to lots more. I've worked with local town government in a professional capacity. I can tell you that your engineers and such are very competent and know what they're doing. However, when it comes to projects of massive scales such as OKC pipelines, they haven't got a freaking clue.

Don't drink the kool aid. We're fine. Lake Canton is one of our emergency supplies. We probably didn't need it in retrospect, but hindsight is 20/20. We are not in some sort of existential crisis or any of that nonsense some of the folks in this thread are suggesting exists.

And don't ban him, but really at this point, /thread. Everything that needs to be said has been said. I don't think we need up to the minute reports on Lake Canton and its fish. For those who do:

Let me google that for you

He's
    Pretty sure it's she...

Pretty sure it's she...
    I tend not to focus on labels.

Very bad form mkjeeves. Thank you admin.

Wut? You aren't a woman and you take offense I suggested people calling you a "guy" and "he" might be wrong?

I'm sure the admin will indeed let me know when I am in bad form. They don't seem too bashful.

Yeah. I agree. No need to ban him. There's still some things he might learn if he hangs around.

I have no fear of arguments or harsh words. I'm assuming the choice of pronouns was generic. Maybe you removed it, and I gave the admin credit.

I have no fear of arguments or harsh words. I'm assuming the choice of pronouns was generic. Maybe you removed it, and I gave the admin credit.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Nothing has been removed I wrote by me or by anyone else. Seems like underhanded mudslinging bs on your part to me.

Topic?

To me all of this is simply about good stewardship of a precious, life-sustaining, resource. I abhor the idea of wasting drinkable water especially in a drought period during general global warming (no matter what the cause) and no matter what the weather happens to be doing during a few weeks in May. Oh: And when I say "life-sustaining" I'm not referring to any concern about Fescue or any other pet lawn pedigree.

Thread Information