Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 333435363738

Thread: County Jail

Default Re: County Jail

There are multiple operational issues with a multi-story jail, look them up, Yes, it's more "efficient" (as in costs less) because of the land being smaller, but it's not more efficient in the great scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    There are multiple operational issues with a multi-story jail, look them up, Yes, it's more "efficient" (as in costs less) because of the land being smaller, but it's not more efficient in the great scheme of things.
    They also wanted an outdoor rec area. You can't really do that with a multistory jail.

3. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I mean the new one was already going to be more than 1 floor. Once you have a second floor, then how its a multistory going to really be any different.

You can absolutely have outdoor rec with a multistory building. You just build it next to it. Going up does not preclude the ability to create a space for that. In fact, with my plan above, it actually has plenty of room to do that if they plan for it. Keep in mind that this is a jail, not a prison. We shouldn't be keeping people here long-term. Yes, they need outside space, but we're not building (and shouldn't be) for life sentences here.

I would argue you can get away with two floors without additional staff or a lot of elevators, three if you reserve the third floor for office use. With two floors you can just have one monitored set of stairs and one or two elevators for ADA compliance.

I have little doubt that in Oklahoma, a shorter building is cheaper. The commissioners are not aiming to build a spread-out jail just to because they hate urban design. If that was the cheaper option, they would go that route. Unless OK county residents want to pony up more money, that type of design is what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I would argue you can get away with two floors without additional staff or a lot of elevators, three if you reserve the third floor for office use. With two floors you can just have one monitored set of stairs and one or two elevators for ADA compliance.

I have little doubt that in Oklahoma, a shorter building is cheaper. The commissioners are not aiming to build a spread-out jail just to because they hate urban design. If that was the cheaper option, they would go that route. Unless OK county residents want to pony up more money, that type of design is what is going to happen.
    Stairs can be very dangerous in a jail/prison setting.

Another Oklahoma County jail death.

https://www.news9.com/story/66564d55...-investigation

I tell you what, as a taxpayer I sure do like paying more for the Admin Staff and Board of the OCDC to run it into the ground even deeper than it was when they took over.

9. Default Re: County Jail

Oklahoma County commissioners purchase land for new jail amid claims of collusion

“We just went ahead and purchased the property outright today without a contingency like we had previously offered, and that means that we don’t need to have the landowner currently go forward and get any kind of request from (Oklahoma City) approved,” Maughan said. “This allows us to move forward, we believe, to build the mental health facility and save the ARPA money.”

Sounds like legal drama in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Oklahoma County commissioners purchase land for new jail amid claims of collusion

“We just went ahead and purchased the property outright today without a contingency like we had previously offered, and that means that we don’t need to have the landowner currently go forward and get any kind of request from (Oklahoma City) approved,” Maughan said. “This allows us to move forward, we believe, to build the mental health facility and save the ARPA money.”
    I can't read the article but sounds like this move is a reasonable step. The city council denied the special permit for a detention facility, I'm assuming the mental health facility alone wouldn't fall under that definition and doesn't require a special permit. This is headed for a legal challenge regardless so might as well make use of that federal money while it's still available.

They should move the county courthouse to or near the new site then transportation of prisioners wouldn't be an issue. Heck move the county offices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    They should move the county courthouse to or near the new site then transportation of prisioners wouldn't be an issue. Heck move the county offices as well.
    If they move anything it will be the criminal courts and they will keep the civil courts downtown.

Thread Information