Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424388138 ... LastLast

Thread: New Downtown Arena

Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    No. I would be shocked if they would come out against this. It also doesn't fit with what they've done recently.

1. They both negotiated pay raises and additional resources recently. They don't have the acrimonious relationship with the city they formerly did.

2. They supported MAPS 4

3. They supported the two most recent GO Bonds.

The time the police union was all up in it was MAPS 3. Remember "Not THIS MAPS?" Yeah, dumb campaign.
    Ah, i guess I wasn’t paying attention. I thought they came out against maps 4 too.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You don't run ROI's on status symbols, and the Thunder is highest available status symbol OKC will ever get.
    Yeah I guess that’s the major disconnect. One crowd thinks the arena should have to generate a tangible financial return if it’s primarily funded by public money. The other would like it to generate a return but doesn’t care either way as long as it’s a good plan that develops the area into an entertainment district in addition to the arena and secures the thunder’s presence here for the next 30 years. Not much can be done to bridge that gap.

3. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Just look at what happened to Seattle; they still haven't obtained an NBA franchise. NBA is the only league the Emerald City doesn't have represented in such a beautiful city and great financial market.

Seattle should be a four franchise major league market with MSA of 4,034,248 - 15th, City population 749,256 - 10th.

There is '0' chance OKC or Oklahoma will ever get a Fab Four major league franchise if this doesn't pass--even if you have to pursue this beyond the first vote--if it fails.

Oklahoma City MSA has 1,459,380 - 42nd, that's 459,380 residents beyond the 1 million per major league franchise needed to support a Big League franchise. City population - 20th, 694,800.

Build Oklahoma City a Taj Mahal arena that will be the 'envy' of many NBA cities throughout the league--seal this deal.
    Ahem - that 4 million is the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area. I know it often gets shortened to just Seattle, but it is really all of the lower Puget Sound now in geography (a HUGE AREA btw) and not what was originally the Seattle-Bellevue metropolitan area (section around 2.3 million). Just a point of clarification, my metro is more similar to Dallas-Ft Worth or Minneapolis-St Paul in that there are two central cities, than it is a mega-metro dominated by a very large central city, like Chicago, LA, NY, Atl, Miami. .. CIty of Seattle does host all of the major league teams and wears its name.

Also of note, the city of Seattle (and state) put up a LOT of resistance for the Sonics when Bennett owned them. They did so with the elitist idea that he would sell if the government put on the pressure. That backfired when it was revealed Bennett would move the team to OKC with Stern's blessing and Sonics fans were butt hurt from learning that OKC owners were planning to move the team from the start; which was actually on Bennett's website from the beginning, but he did try to get something done here nonetheless and with pressure, failed.

Now, I don't think in a million years that Bennett and Co would move the Thunder even if the arena proposal fails, I'd expect more proposals until one passes. However, let it sink in a bit what Bennett had to deal with and his love for OKC. It's not a money making venture (until you sell), it's about civic pride and providing quality of life that lends ancillary benefits to Oklahoma City; as others have mentioned and I personally can attest to when folks learn I am originally from OKC (compare to when I first came here in 1991 to now, OMG, big difference).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

4. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    . ...... To compare going back a bit, in 1997, I went on a mission trip to Kentucky and there were a bunch of other high school kids from all over the country there. When I told them we were from Oklahoma, they talked about the bombing, asked if we rode horses to school, did we live in tents, etc.
    laughable that people from Kentucky would pretend not to be a backwater in comparison to Oklahoma. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Now, I don't think in a million years that Bennett and Co would move the Thunder even if the arena proposal fails, I'd expect more proposals until one passes. However, let it sink in a bit what Bennett had to deal with and his love for OKC. It's not a money making venture (until you sell), it's about civic pride and providing quality of life that lends ancillary benefits to Oklahoma City; as others have mentioned and I personally can attest to when folks learn I am originally from OKC (compare to when I first came here in 1991 to now, OMG, big difference).
    Good post, we admire the fact that you kept up with the direction of the city as you have continued to do to this day. Kentucky was late getting KFC Yum Center approved; OKC got a bare bones arena thru to advance our big league aspirations forward.

Think positive about the arena vote; this is about the next level state-of-the-art or dropping back to mediocre status.

Two important OKCTalk.com news pieces reported:

New Downtown Arena Proposed July 20: https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...arena-proposed
    New survey suggests $1 billion for new arena July 31: https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...-for-new-arena

Adding this up: $891 million in sales tax + $70 million in MAPS 4 funds + $75 million from the Thunder ownership (see additional question) = $1.036 billion. Since the likely site is already owned by the City (Prairie Surf Studios/old Cox Center) the value of the land is likely not factored into the total.

Voters can take Oklahoma City to the next level; decide if we want to invest $1 billion in a facility to host Big League Sports and Major concerts to be apart of our city's future in a state-of-the-art facility.

If voters approved this referendum (money borrowed) pending future MAPS extension fund collections; our leadership in partnership with the Thunder will use this money toward our reputation and future.

We already know that surplus funds, if any--will be invested in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

If this fails, they will sell the team for close to $3 billion and not lose a wink of sleep over it, and I wouldn't blame them.

7. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

^^^^^^^^^^
    100% correct. The idea that they will continue to sign short term leases in a substandard building while bringing repeated hat-in-hand pleas to the City and its voters is folly. This is one and done. They’d sell to the highest bidder, which would almost certainly be someone buying to relocate. We have a once-in-a-generation chance to get this right.

Gotta remember that's how we got the Thunder. A Seattle based group of about 60 people, headed by "favorite son" Howard Schultz got frustrated with the refusal of their attempts to get a new arena built in the greater Seattle area and sold.

Lemme say again that NO city has ever said they are better off since a major sports league team left their city. Including Houston, who still wishes they had never let the Oilers go to Tennessee. Or Seattle, who has added the NHL Kranen and still pines for the return of the SuperSonics,

Food for thought: the Tennessee legislature forced through a $1.2b funding package for a new Titans stadium. The result? The Titans' valuation skyrocketed by 33%.

Public money making the rich richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Food for thought: the Tennessee legislature forced through a $1.2b funding package for a new Titans stadium. The result? The Titans' valuation skyrocketed by 33%.

It is supposed to make the rich richer. Public money is spent in a way to help society and the economy. That makes all better. And the rich richer

I hate that kind of thing as much as the next person, but that's just the reality of America now (and has been for decades, actually). Never will be fixed (the rich have gamed the system so that it's pretty much impossible to undo at this point) until climate change kills us all (and the rich will still be getting richer in their bunkers and hidey-holes)...

^^^ Dob - but the rich generally don't invest back into the public so that "a rising tide lifts every boat", they themselves just keep getting richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    It is supposed to make the rich richer. Public money is spent in a way to help society and the economy. That makes all better. And the rich richer
    How does the Titans valuation ballooning help the everyday Tennessean citizen?

How does the Titans valuation ballooning help the everyday Tennessean citizen?
    Because a lot are Titans fans. If they leave, then that is one less thing they can do as a family. May not be monetarily, but QOL will go down a little. And that is magnified in OKC, where there is already less to do.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Because a lot are Titans fans. If they leave, then that is one less thing they can do as a family. May not be monetarily, but QOL will go down a little. And that is magnified in OKC, where there is already less to do.

Tell Uncle Luke I’m out in OKC too

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    also the domed stadium they are building will host final 4's other large events likely the SEC championship game .. and likely the CFP championship game ..

I reject the premise

OKC breaks visitation record with tourism on the rise;
    https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...-rise/44778461

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    That is great news. Way to go OKC!

19. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Here’s the CVB’s original release that KOCO story is based upon:

OKC Tourism Study Reveals Record-breaking Economic Impact

Aug. 09, 2023

OKC travel sector generates over $4 billion in economic impact

OKLAHOMA CITY – A recent research report conducted by Tourism Economics found that visitors to Oklahoma City generated an annual economic impact of $4.3 billion from 23.2 million visitors in 2022. By tracing the flow of visitor-related expenditures through the city’s economy and their effects on employment, wages and taxes, the report found that tourism has a dramatic effect on the health of OKC’s local economy.

“We’ve had various indicators that our visitor economy had surpassed pre-pandemic levels, but this data gives us a deeper understanding of the power of tourism in Oklahoma City,” said Zac Craig, Visit Oklahoma City President. “A total economic impact of more than $4 billion from the travel sector is very exciting. And we expect tourism’s economic impact to continue climbing as Visit OKC elevates our destination marketing across national and international audiences and partners add new attractions throughout the city.”

In 2022, 23.2 million visitors directly spent $2.6 billion across a range of sectors – including food and beverage (26%), retail (23%), recreation and entertainment (19%), lodging (18%) and transportation (15%). This total economic impact sustained more than 33,888 jobs and generated $343 million in state and local tax revenues in 2022.

“This study details the direct effect of tourism in OKC, but we also see the additional ways travel spending positively impacts other industries such as real estate, insurance and various business services that support tourism-related organizations,” said Christy Gillenwater, Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President and CEO. “In addition, the total jobs impact approximately one of every 20 jobs in Oklahoma City. That’s 5% of our workforce supporting tourism right here in Oklahoma City.”

Oklahoma City’s future as a tourism destination is on the rise.

"Oklahoma City has invested in itself with entertainment venues and districts through the MAPS program for decades, and this investment is paying dividends,” said Craig. “Our entire community has blossomed because of MAPS, which can be seen in our new convention center complex, streetcar infrastructure and world-class attractions and districts that elevate us as a meetings and sports destination and leisure travel destination.”
    And here’s a link to more details from the study itself.

It will be interesting to see if the convention center can really start to ramp up now that the pandemic is pretty much behind us.

The owners are providing 40% of the investment assets for a facility that will hold far more than 8 NFL games/year so that's a pretty fair partnership. I would like to know how you came to the conclusion that a stadium directly affected the team's value? Sports team franchise values have skyrocketed across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the convention center can really start to ramp up now that the pandemic is pretty much behind us.
    Not only that but if the citizens approve funding for the new arena, the city will be able to attract more sporting events such as NCAA basketball, wrestling and volleyball tournaments.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Not only that but if the citizens approve funding for the new arena, the city will be able to attract more sporting events such as NCAA basketball, wrestling and volleyball tournaments.
    Nadia and Bart Conner will bring gymnastics back to Oklahoma City in a different setting on a higher level.

There's much awaiting the new arena.

Left the south side this morning, on Robinson. As I passed the beautiful lower Scissortail Park on my left (traveling North), I was mindful of the old hub caps and muffler shops partially standing on my right of what use to be a once vibrant area north of Commerce Street in Capitol Hill. The lower park had plenty of people using it, walking the path in full exercise mode.

Travel north, you run between Scissortail Park, Skydance Bridge and the new Convention Center. They were preparing for the Farmer's Market---heard about it, got to witness the huge set up. Looked over to my right and there stood our $560 million convention center complex and Omni. On my left crossing Reno Avenue stood PSM, a grim reminder of the day it opened, hearing Della Reese, Special Guest for the Myriad grand opening--she was a 'Long way from St. Louie.'

OKC has come a long way and how clever Pete pointed out the comparison to an 8 home game NFL is to a 41 home game NBA.

Thank you Pete, this put our NBA arena more into perspective; because IMO our $1 billion new NBA arena is just as viable as Nashville's $2.1 billion Titan NFL Domed Stadium.

I’m itching for the renderings to leak!

Thread Information