Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Odot

1. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Isn’t this the site of the most recent Buc-ee’s rumors? Maybe this will spur some action.
    There is no Buc-ee's planned for this area. I really don't know why that rumor keeps going around. The lot everyone keeps glomming onto as the site is owned by the Chickasaws, for goodness sake.

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    If it ever happens, probably wouldn’t be free.
    The story states: Myles Davidson, who represents northern Oklahoma County, proposes to work with counterparts in Logan County to spend about $65 million in federal money to widen and improve Waterloo Road between Interstate 35 and State Highway 74 (Portland Avenue).

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The story states: Myles Davidson, who represents northern Oklahoma County, proposes to work with counterparts in Logan County to spend about $65 million in federal money to widen and improve Waterloo Road between Interstate 35 and State Highway 74 (Portland Avenue).
    That doesn't mention anything about a freeway like the post I responded to suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    There is no Buc-ee's planned for this area. I really don't know why that rumor keeps going around. The lot everyone keeps glomming onto as the site is owned by the Chickasaws, for goodness sake.
    Actually there is, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. (very reliable inside resource)

ODOT finally activated the links to the handout and presentation documents from the I-35/122nd St/I-44 meeting last week.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...%20Handout.pdf

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...esentation.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I went to the ODOT Public meeting last night regarding the overhaul of the I-35 / 122nd Street / Turner / Kilpatrick Turnpike interchange. I did not have high expectations but left even more underwhelmed. They started the meeting off by stating facts about how dangerous this whole interchange has become. Basically, what ODOT proposed is to add concrete barriers to not allow cars & semis to quickly change lanes when merging on. Semis & cars coming off the Turner Turnpike will not be able to get over until well past the 122nd exit. They mentioned trying to route Semis to exit Sooner Road via the I-35 northbound ramp from Turner (zoomed in on the right side of the attached image). They are also adding 1 lane to each side of the highway to account for these barriers. Really no work done to I-35 northbound except adding a lane. Shooting for a 2026 construction start and they say will take 9 months to complete. So it looks like this whole interchange will not change much at all for the next 10 years.

Attachment 18188

Attachment 18189
    At the bottom of this page they have a PDF link which shows in detail what the plans are: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    At the bottom of this page they have a PDF link which shows in detail what the plans are: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html
    thanks for finding and posting that

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    thanks for finding and posting that
    It was supposed to be active on August 2nd. I believe they forgot to update it with an active link so I had to call them to get them to do it. I left them a voicemail. Thankfully, they seemed to respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC B-Man View Post
    ODOT finally activated the links to the handout and presentation documents from the I-35/122nd St/I-44 meeting last week.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...%20Handout.pdf

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...esentation.pdf
    Beat me to it lol

The SH-9 interchange project is scheduled to be let for bid:

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...monday--a.html
    Approved and it also includes a short widening of I-35 from the Canadian River bridge to the Goldsby interchange:

Approved at the commission meeting was an up to $105 million project to reconstruct the I-35 and SH-9W interchange south of Norman to accommodate heavy traffic in the area. The project will convert the interchange into a Divergent Diamond Interchange configuration, similar to the one now in use in Elk City at I-40 and Main St. The project will also expand I-35 to six lanes from the Canadian River south to the Goldsby interchange. The reconstruction will begin this fall and is expected to complete in summer of 2026.
    - https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...g-wrap-up.html

ODOT also updated the new 5 year county bridge and road improvement program for anyone who wants to browse and kill some time:

The commission voted to approve the annual update to the CIRB Plan for Federal Fiscal Years 2024 through 2028. The plan includes $804 million for reconstruction or rehabilitation of 176 county bridges and improvements to nearly 400 miles of county roads during the next five years. The CIRB program uses designated state funding administered by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation combined with federal, local and tribal funds for the highest priority county transportation projects. The plan is updated annually in partnership between county commissioners, their Circuit Engineering Districts and ODOT. To view projects in the CIRB, visit www.odot.org and click CIRB under Projects and Programs.
    Full plan here: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...Commission.pdf

Some major renumbering and new interstate numbers coming to the OKC metro:

On tomorrow's ODOT Commission meeting agenda:

Highway Number Redesignation – Mr. Planteen
    Districts IV and VIII – Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Tulsa, Osage, Pawnee, Payne and Noble Counties

a) Remove SH-152 Designation from I-44 junction west to Kilpatrick Turnpike junction
    b) Add I-240 Designation from I-44 junction west to Kilpatrick Turnpike junction
    c) Add I-240 Follow Route Designation I-240/I-44 junction north to I-44/SH-152
    d) Add I-344 Designation to the entirety of the Kilpatrick Turnpike
    e) Add I-335 Designation to Kickapoo Turnpike
    Agenda item 131: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...a-202309-r.pdf

RT66man from AAROADS I copied your comment because my stupid iPhone would copy the text from the original document.

Map of the proposed new interstate numbers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6649.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	949.5 KB 
ID:	18255

Blog Entries

Map of the proposed new interstate numbers:

Name:	IMG_6649.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	949.5 KB 
ID:	18255
    Ok, this doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's ODOT, so whatever.

First, this is a loop, and not a spur, an odd first digit is against the rules here. The Kilpatrick should be numbered I-644 or I-844 (I would prefer I-644 for the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa but whatever)

Second, wouldn't it be much simpler and logical to have OK-152 signed as the new I-844 number and end I-844 at I-44. No changes at all to I-240.

^^^ I agree completely about your second paragraph. It’d be nice to think a new major freeway was planned through Mustang along SH-152 eventually connecting north to I-40 in the future signed as I-240 but the ROW clearance would be massive through Mustang. Still I’d support it. The more freeways the better. I don’t know why else they’d end I-240 at the SH-152/Kilpatrick(I-344) interchange though.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

First, this is a loop, and not a spur, an odd first digit is against the rules here. The Kilpatrick should be numbered I-644 or I-844 (I would prefer I-644 for the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa but whatever)

Second, wouldn't it be much simpler and logical to have OK-152 signed as the new I-844 number and end I-844 at I-44. No changes at all to I-240.
    I thought the same thing when I looked at the map. The whole "Follow i-240" thing is dumb along with the little I-240 segment W of I-44. Just rename I-644 or I-844 and put a fork in it. While they're at it, why not get even cuter and just rename I-240 to I-140 since it's in essence a spur route anyway.

But like you said, it's ODOT.

I just saw that a special committee of AASHTO has to approve this as well. I suspect they will reject this proposal, give ODOT a copy of their guidelines, and ask them to stop screwing around and finally get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

Even changing the entire east/west route from i-40 to i40 seems like it would make more sense than this, since it then has a signed route to bypass downtown. With whatever the new one going north from i-40 around to i-44. Instead of temporarily going both ways, but basically randomly changing in the middle of a segment, potentially worse extending that on the eventual new segment around the airport, which would increase the number of multiple interchanges with the same I-### and city street exit pairings over what this proposal will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    I just saw that a special committee of AASHTO has to approve this as well. I suspect they will reject this proposal, give ODOT a copy of their guidelines, and ask them to stop screwing around and finally get this right.
    They approved the ridiculous I-240 loop proposal.

20. Default Re: Odot

Its not a loop if you have to make all those road changes....so that's a bit of a stretch. I think calling them separate spurs makes a lot more sense.

I mean with that logic is a "loop"....

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	18256

They approved the ridiculous I-240 loop proposal.
    The disclaimer in the PDF says this proposal will still need approval from a special committee of AASHTO and the Federal Highway Administration.

This revision will become effective upon approval by the State Transportation Commission, approval
    from the AASHTO Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering, and approval from the Federal
    Highway Administration

I travel a lot and have driven in about every major city in the country and cannot recall ever seeing any "Follow" Interstate Route except when there was a Detour or closure. Have any of you?

I am fairly sure the goal here is to have as many different interstate numbering designations within the metro as physically possible.

Maybe, maybe not. I-235 is a spur and should have an odd first digit, but it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I am fairly sure the goal here is to have as many different interstate numbering designations within the metro as physically possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I-235 is a spur and should have an odd first digit, but it doesn't.
    I cannot argue with any of these assessments. I have never understood the I-235 designation either and thought it was just an anomaly.

Blog Entries

I cannot argue with any of these assessments. I have never understood the I-235 designation either and thought it was just an anomaly.
    235 isn't a spur, it's a connector, which can have an odd or even first digit. A spur does not end at another interstate.

Thread Information