Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 141 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424388138 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Recently released Gallup poll has approval for legalized marijuana back up to 58%. Old people 65 or older still quite strongly opposed. In U.S., 58% Back Legal Marijuana Use

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Recently released Gallup poll has approval for legalized marijuana back up to 58%. Old people 65 or older still quite strongly opposed. In U.S., 58% Back Legal Marijuana Use
    Which are some of the people who could benefit for pain management in my opinion.

Obama needs to reschedule marijuana on a federal level before he leaves office. If a Republican gets in it might not only not get rescheduled, but the new administration may crack down on states that have opted to legalize it.

I wonder what those #s would look like if they could account for the opinions of the people currently serving a non violent drug related prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Obama needs to reschedule marijuana on a federal level before he leaves office. If a Republican gets in it might not only not get rescheduled, but the new administration may crack down on states that have opted to legalize it.
    This is something the States should have the reserved power to override and be able to turn their back on archaic federal laws, such as CO, OR, WA, CA, etc. are doing. Don't hold your breath regarding Obama, he very well may, but at the end of the day, he's beholden to the same forces as his predecessors and his record proves it.

Bumping, saw the first stand out off of a busy intersection today, unfortunately no one was signing as a I drove by.

If this is something you support, go to the link Plu provided above and find your nearest host site.

Tell friends and family, and tell them they're not going to look like pot heads for signing these petitions!!! I'm afraid too many people are afraid of signing for fear of backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Bumping, saw the first stand out off of a busy intersection today, unfortunately no one was signing as a I drove by.

If this is something you support, go to the link Plu provided above and find your nearest host site.

Tell friends and family, and tell them they're not going to look like pot heads for signing these petitions!!! I'm afraid too many people are afraid of signing for fear of backlash.
    Last year I seen a stand at NW Expressway and meridian and there was a police car sitting a couple hundred feet away. I think more than a few people that had plans on stopping and signing the petition just drove right on by.

As of October 28, Greenthevoteok is still lagging on the rate of signatures coming in with around 25,000. They need more volunteers out there. If you volunteer, you might be surprised by how quickly someone will come up wanting to sign after you have stepped upon a busy street corner with the petition and a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Last year I seen a stand at NW Expressway and meridian and there was a police car sitting a couple hundred feet away. I think more than a few people that had plans on stopping and signing the petition just drove right on by.
    I signed it on their last go around a couple years ago. There was a manned police car in the same parking lot about 40 feet from the petitioners tent. Struck me as a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    As of October 28, Greenthevoteok is still lagging on the rate of signatures coming in with around 25,000. They need more volunteers out there. If you volunteer, you might be surprised by how quickly someone will come up wanting to sign after you have stepped upon a busy street corner with the petition and a sign.
    25,000?? Oh, my... We need 120,000. Well, I'm going to see about volunteering. I've been trying to spread the word, that's what this needs. People need to know this is out there and is a tangible change that we can provide. Secondly, I stand by that I think most people are afraid for what they may be perceived as.

Also, about the cops being posted out, it's no doubt intimidation. Remember, the police departments see a major chunk of funding to their coffers from the state and federal governments for the "war on drugs." So, they're so engrained in their mindset that they're these "warriors" against drugs that ending marijuana prohibition could see them taking a hit (pun intended) financially, although unlikely in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    25,000?? Oh, my... We need 120,000. Well, I'm going to see about volunteering. I've been trying to spread the word, that's what this needs. People need to know this is out there and is a tangible change that we can provide. Secondly, I stand by that I think most people are afraid for what they may be perceived as.

Also, about the cops being posted out, it's no doubt intimidation. Remember, the police departments see a major chunk of funding to their coffers from the state and federal governments for the "war on drugs." So, they're so engrained in their mindset that they're these "warriors" against drugs that ending marijuana prohibition could see them taking a hit (pun intended) financially, although unlikely in the long run.
    It would be nice to see them gather 250k-300k. I remember last time around the state threw a bunch out for some reason or another. Better to have a big cushion this time around.

Bernie Sanders files marijuana bill in Senate - CNNPolitics.com

This needs to happen while Obama is still President because if it doesn't, there might not be another opportunity for 4 or 8 years. If this passes, while legal marijuana may still be years if not decades away from being a reality in Oklahoma, it will force states to reconsider their marijuana policy.

I really wish small government conservatives would get behind this. Continuing to support the drug war, at least with marijuana, is the antithesis of small government.

So where will you draw the drug line? If cannabis is legal, what about the next drug up the list?

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    So where will you draw the drug line? If cannabis is legal, what about the next drug up the list?
    The slippery slope argument doesn't work. Cannabis has been shown to be non-addicting in a physiological sense. There have only been a few deaths that have ever come from it and all have been cases of extreme overdose. Alcohol and nicotine are more dangerous, addicting, and easier to overdose on than cannabis.

Can you say the same for other drugs (that are rightfully illegal) like meth, cocaine, and heroin? You can't ban one substance for the sole reason that it could be a gateway to a more dangerous substance when that substance has been proven to not be dangerous.

I just asked a simple question. If you legalize cannabis, where do you draw the next line? Surely those who have an opinion about cannabis have an opinion about other drugs?

I just asked a simple question. If you legalize cannabis, where do you draw the next line? Surely those who have an opinion about cannabis have an opinion about other drugs?
    I think three questions should be asked.

1) Is it natural?
    2) Can a person easily become physically dependent?
    3) Is the cost of prohibition greater than the drug's impact on society if it were legal?

I think if the you can answer yes on 1 and 3 and no on 2 regarding a substance, it should be legalized.

Alcohol is a drug. A far more dangerous drug than cannabis.

Yes, alcohol is a drug, but I know as many boozers as pot heads, and booze is as natural as pot. We spend as much or more on booze enforcement as pot enforcement.

Yes, alcohol is a drug, but I know as many boozers as pot heads, and booze is as natural as pot. We spend as much or more on booze enforcement as pot enforcement.
    You can't grow a booze plant on your porch.

The natural cannabis growing on the river is not the same as the one you grow today either.

We are living in an era that will be viewed as the same as we view prohibition.

Maybe, maybe not. Booze was legal and made illegal, pot was illegal and many want to make it legal. It seems to me, it would be better to work out all the details first, then legalize it, rather than to make it sorta legal, and then work out the details.

Thread Information