Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 333435363738

Thread: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

1. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

We barely pay attention to the pre-season games.

My main reason for posting was to counteract the flawed narrative above stating “…if anything in the center section lower bowl is $10k+, they may be deluding themselves on what prices this market can bear…”

Literally EVERYTHING center section, lower bowl is ALREADY over $10K for a pair. Every single seat. A giant chunk of them are nearly 3x that number, and a significant number of them are multiple factors higher. This market is clearly equipped to pay NBA prices.

Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    We barely pay attention to the pre-season games.

My main reason for posting was to counteract the flawed narrative above stating “…if anything in the center section lower bowl is $10k+, they may be deluding themselves on what prices this market can bear…”

Literally EVERYTHING center section, lower bowl is ALREADY over $10K for a pair. Every single seat. A giant chunk of them are nearly 3x that number, and a significant number of them are multiple factors higher. This market is clearly equipped to pay NBA prices.
    I think the issue is more that the people complaining can't afford to pay those prices. So, they refuse to believe other people have the ability to do so, or if they do not enough of them will want to.

3. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Tickets upstairs start at $12 per seat per game. :shrug:

At the end of the day, a business model with a $160 million+ payroll - not including front office salaries and other massive operating expenses - has to find the money somewhere. If finding them extra money involves adding discretionary services and amenities that can make the game experience even better, I’m all for it.

At the end of the day, a business model with a $160 million+ payroll - not including front office salaries and other massive operating expenses - has to find the money somewhere. If finding them extra money involves adding discretionary services and amenities that can make the game experience even better, I’m all for it.
    I just bought 2 for $16/ticket. Heck of a deal when I live downtown and watch every game anyway. If I had gotten season tickets this year, I would’ve saved somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the total season ticket price just based on not having to pay the crazy ticket fees and inflated secondary market prices for the 3 playoff games we went to.

Agreed. The NBA is a high rent district, you're gonna pay high rent prices. This is the pro's not college.

The Thunder also has one of the lowest average ticket prices in the league.

Obviously, that doesn't make it cheap, but I don't think some realize how inexpensive and easy it is to go to Thunder games, relative to many (most?) teams in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    The Thunder also has one of the lowest average ticket prices in the league.

Obviously, that doesn't make it cheap, but I don't think some realize how inexpensive and easy it is to go to Thunder games, relative to many (most?) teams in the NBA.
    True. I had no idea there were $12 and $16/game season tickets, if I’d been paying attention, I probably would’ve gotten some years ago.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

What would you as a fan, like to see in the new Oklahoma City Downtown arena on the 4-square blocks on the Old Myriad Convention Center site. We know it will exceed 750,000 square feet:

Seating Capacity:

20,000 - 22,000
    18,000 - 19,999
    17,000 - 17,999

Explain your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    What would you as a fan, like to see in the new Oklahoma City Downtown arena on the 4-square blocks on the Old Myriad Convention Center site. We know it will exceed 750,000 square feet:

Seating Capacity:

20,000 - 22,000
    18,000 - 19,999
    17,000 - 17,999

Explain your response.
    18,000 to 19,999. I think consistently getting 20k plus is tough, and the arena should be more geared towards fan interaction and amenities, rather than cramming people in like sardines. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Seating Capacity:

20,000 - 22,000
    18,000 - 19,999
    17,000 - 17,999

Explain your response.

Oklahoma City should strive to have the loudest arena in the NBA, one that will reinforce the LOUD CITY moniker. Make this the Taj Mahal among NBA arenas. Make it attractive enough (Capacity, Interior & Exterior) to host an upcoming NCAA regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Except you usually don't start demolition until you have the overall plan.

I suppose they will just wipe the site clean and go from there.

The City will loose 994 parking spaces but as of the last report, there were only 240 monthly parkers. The bigger issue will be spaces needed for Thunder games and other Paycom events.
    The Thunder are now informing people that demolition on Prairie Surf will begin on January 1 and for those who had parking spots in Prairie surf, they will get to choose a new space in another garage or lot that they Thunder have leased.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The Thunder are now informing people that demolition on Prairie Surf will begin on January 1 and for those who had parking spots in Prairie surf, they will get to choose a new space in another garage or lot that they Thunder have leased.
    That's fast. I guess Prairie Surf Is ghost town these days. Can't see them being able to do anything with less than 6 months left.

They clearly have a plan and an aggressive schedule.

Their Gantt chart must show that they must start demolition as soon as they gain possession (1/1/25) while simultaneously finalizing plans.

They have yet to publish an RFP for architects, let alone start design work.

With these big projects, there are so many things that have to happen concurrently; I used to manage construction (up to $10 million, so nothing like this scale) and the complexity is mind-numbing. Part of my fascination with big projects is having at least a small appreciation for what goes into getting it done.

At the same time, this is a bit strange because this is public property, public development, and public funds, yet they won't even be convening public committees as they do with MAPS. So, there will be a lot going on that we won't know about, as has really been the case throughout this project.

I suppose I need to fire up some open records requests as that will be the only way to see behind the curtain. I wouldn't be surprised if they hide a lot of this behind the cloak of the Alliance.

They will have to put a demolition contract up for bid. I'm sure that will happen in a few months.

It'll be really cool having a big construction project going on in downtown for the next 4 years or so. Possibly a bit inconvenient for doing anything around, but that's the cost of progress.

I cannot wait to see the old Myriad leveled, even though it's a big part of my downtown OKC memories.

My family moved here from Wisconsin in the 60s and we would often go to Blazers hockey games at the fairgrounds, which is also getting ready to bit the dust. But in the early 70s, the team moved to the Myriad when it opened as one of the first big pieces of urban renewal. I remember what a big deal the Myriad was then, especially downtown. I can still hear the pre-recorded message that played in the arena: "Welcome to the *incom-parable* Myriad.

I saw my first concert there (Beach Boys in 1974) and maybe my favorite concert memory of all time: Eagles in the summer of 1977 when I was heading into my senior year in high school and they had just released the Hotel California album. Talk about a seminal 1970s experience!

I wonder how many events I saw at the Myriad? Easily, dozens. All types of concerts but also many All College basketball tournaments, the Harlem Globetrotters, the circus, on and on.

However, it's now so ugly and dead and is basically just a tall concrete and non-see-through glass wall on all four sides. We're used to it but if you stand in the Myriad Gardens and look east, it's just so horrible.

I look forward to seeing how the new facility better interacts with the street and it's surroundings. I'm sure it will be 'activated' with year-round restaurants and bars.

17. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They clearly have a plan and an aggressive schedule.

Their Gantt chart must show that they must start demolition as soon as they gain possession (1/1/25) while simultaneously finalizing plans.

They have yet to publish an RFP for architects, let alone start design work.

With these big projects, there are so many things that have to happen concurrently; I used to manage construction (up to $10 million, so nothing like this scale) and the complexity is mind-numbing. Part of my fascination with big projects is having at least a small appreciation for what goes into getting it done.

At the same time, this is a bit strange because this is public property, public development, and public funds, yet they won't even be convening public committees as they do with MAPS. So, there will be a lot going on that we won't know about, as has really been the case throughout this project.

I suppose I need to fire up some open records requests as that will be the only way to see behind the curtain. I wouldn't be surprised if they hide a lot of this behind the cloak of the Alliance.
    I know that the RFP was to be issued anytime and that they're planning to have detailed renderings before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It'll be really cool having a big construction project going on in downtown for the next 4 years or so. Possibly a bit inconvenient for doing anything around, but that's the cost of progress.
    Just think of that, the Boardwalk at Bricktown and the new stadium being worked on at the same time. Hopefully the REHCO lot can get thrown in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I know that the RFP was to be issued anytime and that they're planning to have detailed renderings before the end of the year.
    Thanks for that info.

Considering it's the middle of July and they haven't even chosen an architect, detailed renderings by the end of the year is very ambitious. But of course, can't wait to see them!

Thread Information