Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    It might be time to widen it to 8 lanes (4NB and 4SB) and include a giant roundabout in between Chisholm Creek and Costco.
    Widening May, Western, and Penn to six lanes from downtown to NW 150th St. would be wise to combat future congestion. Memorial RD should be widened to 8 lanes for sure. Bike lanes should be included in these projects as well. These roads should also be divided and include landscaping. I like the idea of a roundabout in between Costco and Chilshom Creek.

Another idea that needs to get started is a light rail line from Quail Springs/Chisholm Credk area to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Widening May, Western, and Penn to six lanes from downtown to NW 150th St. would be wise to combat future congestion. Memorial RD should be widened to 8 lanes for sure. Bike lanes should be included in these projects as well. These roads should also be divided and include landscaping. I like the idea of a roundabout in between Costco and Chilshom Creek.

Another idea that needs to get started is a light rail line from Quail Springs/Chisholm Credk area to downtown.
    There's just no way that Western is going to be widened south of NW 50th (maybe someday they'll upgrade the NW 23rd to NW 42nd portion the way they upgraded the NW 18th to NW 23rd portion earlier this year). Similarly with Penn, they will never widen the two mile stretch from NW 63rd to Britton. Even excluding those areas, it would be problematic to widen Western, Penn, and May consistently, as large stretches of those roads have little right-of-way on either side (two examples that immediately come to mind are Penn between NW 10th & NW 50th, and May between NW 50th & Wilshire).

One thing that does need to be done ASAP is putting in dedicated left-turn lanes at the Penn & Highland Park light. Even this is going to be more difficult than it should be due to the shortsighted decision to let Freddy's and Torchy's build their parking lots right up to the east side of Penn, but they really need to find a way to make it happen regardless or that intersection is going to be a disaster in a few years.

Yes some stretches of those roads will not be able to be winded without demolition of surrounding houses and that is unlikely.

Just drove by there at 8:30 PM. They have lights up on poles and some workers are still going at it. I pulled into a parking lot just south of the construction, took a couple of pics, but the glare from the lights overpowers the view of the workers and equipment.

Barring any sort of unusual situation, I'm sure they'll open ontime, I think it's scheduled for late April.
    Sorry about the sideways photo, not sure how to fix it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	15022

They were out Saturday and Sunday morning before 7. Pretty impressive when you consider how the Winco site is sitting a mile away.

This morning:

Are there plans to extend Pawnee Drive into the Costco Parking lot, so there is a dedicated stoplight to aid in congestion?

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Are there plans to extend Pawnee Drive into the Costco Parking lot, so there is a dedicated stoplight to aid in congestion?
    Yes (Pawnee is mis-labeled Highland Park in this graphic):

After experiencing Costco for myself while visiting family in Denver for thanksgiving, I am very excited to see them get this store open!

It's kind of awesome.

It's hard to describe the difference because on the surface it seems just like Sam's, but it's really unique in a bunch of small ways that adds up to a completely improved experience.

11. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's kind of awesome.

It's hard to describe the difference because on the surface it seems just like Sam's, but it's really unique in a bunch of small ways that adds up to a completely improved experience.
    Yeah, the product mix is more upscale and their house brand (Kirkland) is of higher quality than Sam's house brand (Members Mark), we find.

12. Default Re: Costco

Steel going up in sw corner. they are getting after this place

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Steel going up in sw corner. they are getting after this place
    I haven't driven by in a week and they had half the building up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I haven't driven by in a week and they had half the building up yesterday.
    I saw the same thing when I drove by last night. I imagine they use a specific kind of concrete that cures faster than normal as I swear they were still pouring at the first of the week.

Absolutely flying.

Sign says 'Opening Spring 2019'.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Yeah, the product mix is more upscale and their house brand (Kirkland) is of higher quality than Sam's house brand (Members Mark), we find.
    Many of the products are manufactured by the same companies for both brands. We havent found much difference in most of the products we buy. I'm sure there are some products that are different.

Rest of the steel is up, the box is basically complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's kind of awesome.

I really miss the Scan and Go app at Sam's. They closed the Sam's close to me up here so now I shop Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I really miss the Scan and Go app at Sam's. They closed the Sam's close to me up here so now I shop Costco.
    Scan and Go is a game changer at Sam's. Kind of makes the business membership unnecessary, since I only had that to get in early and avoid the crowds. Adding the self checkout lines at Sam's was a good thing, too, especially since they usually only have about 3 cashier lanes open.

Yes, I use the Scan & Go app every time I go to Sam's and it's amazing.

Costco still doesn't have self-checkout of any sort, which is a major bummer. And with only one location in the area, you can expect long lines whenever you go.

In California, I had to psych myself up just to deal with the crowds. Also, their early shopping hours are not nearly as generous.

Sam's Club hack: You can also use the click and pull (they've renamed it, I think it is called club pickup now) and they'll have items waiting for you. Depending which Sam's you visit, you can browse for more items, then bypass the line when you go pick up your order, they'll scan whatever else you've picked up. The one on May is excellent for this...the one on 3rd is 50/50. They don't have a checkout for the click and pull, so sometimes they'll open a register and get you checked out, sometimes they just hand you the cart and you're on your own.

Of course, the reason I do this is to avoid the lines, which result from having a max of three lanes open at any given time. While I'm sure Costco is going to be hell for the first month or so, I also expect they're intelligent enough to open checkout lanes when needed. I would say I don't understand why Sam's is so stubborn about not opening lanes when needed, but I do understand. They're Walmart and Walmart has the same "let them line up to the back of the store for all we care" attitude.

22. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Sam's Club hack: You can also use the click and pull (they've renamed it, I think it is called club pickup now) and they'll have items waiting for you. Depending which Sam's you visit, you can browse for more items, then bypass the line when you go pick up your order, they'll scan whatever else you've picked up. The one on May is excellent for this...the one on 3rd is 50/50. They don't have a checkout for the click and pull, so sometimes they'll open a register and get you checked out, sometimes they just hand you the cart and you're on your own.

Of course, the reason I do this is to avoid the lines, which result from having a max of three lanes open at any given time. While I'm sure Costco is going to be hell for the first month or so, I also expect they're intelligent enough to open checkout lanes when needed. I would say I don't understand why Sam's is so stubborn about not opening lanes when needed, but I do understand. They're Walmart and Walmart has the same "let them line up to the back of the store for all we care" attitude.
    Our Sams has 10 self checkouts and 2 open with checkers. The self checkout is painless and quick. Never really any lines.

For me, the biggest “problem” with the self checkout is remembering to load up the cart with the barcodes facing up. But if you remember that, you can checkout however fast you can pull the trigger of the little fun.

It’s pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    For me, the biggest “problem” with the self checkout is remembering to load up the cart with the barcodes facing up. But if you remember that, you can checkout however fast you can pull the trigger of the little fun.

It’s pretty nice.
    Scan before you put into the cart!

And usually they have the barcode on the price label on the display.

That’s when I don’t use the app and just do the scanning everything at the self checkout register.

Thread Information