Widgets Magazine
Page 37 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    From the article:

So they have 25% of the reservations for the condo towers already in hand? Seems like a very good sign if I am reading that right. Also, I see that it wasn't just the few of us on this forum that were paying attention to all the recent construction cranes.
    that is the 22 for sale condos in the dream hotel tower ...

so 25% reservations means they have 5/6 of those spoked for

2. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

guys, one other thing to think about - we've been begging for a monument tower (like space needle) to add to the downtown skyline. while not a typical of that type, if built Tower 3 could serve as OKC's monument tower. Think of it that way vs. being so out of place, like Devon actually is currently.

This could serve as a bold statement for OKC. Yes, there are many other plots to build on. But a skinny supertall actually works nicely for THIS location. And, could serve to garner additional towers to the Cox site, REHCO lands, OGE lands, and possibly Strawberry fields. It's aspirational indeed, but good news is we definitely get the 3 tower complex that itself has been updated - construction starts in a few months!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    For the record see post 879

"The actual development looks really cool and intriguing."
    My apologies. I must have accidentally glossed over that. My fault.

It does look great, even without the 130+ story building.

4. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

I couldn’t be happier with the design of at least the three towers (the super tall is obviously greatly exciting…)

I think building up this high is a good move if we ever want to make a nationally recognized skyline. Of course, it will look a little strange and out of place, but we will continue to grow and it’s neat to see a bold decision to start with a giant project. This would be a huge flex for us, especially if we are on global display for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It isn't the ONLY reason. Go to Dubai sometime... there's plenty of land but they want the prestige of going UP. Tall buildings are a symbol of prosperity and progress.

This rendering is most likely aspirational, as they say themselves. But anything that is a signature tall building would be the sign of a new era in OKC. Look at Austin when they announced the 50+ floor residential. Others followed quickly.
    Sorry I haven't been to Dubai, man I must live under a rock. Anyways, a 1,776ft tower has no place in dowtown OKC right now, I don't care how you argue it. Austin current tallest tower (875ft) doesn't even come close to this, so thats a bad comparison. Lets be realistic, OKC is not Dubai, NYC, or even Austin.

6. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

it's a statement tower. it's aspirational, it might not be that tall. And they stated 1750 feet.

As I mentioned, I see this - if built - to be OKC's monument tower, a statement. Even with this tower, it doesn't mean OKC is trying to be anybody but itself. What I expect to be built? the 3 35 floor towers and Tower 3 probably being 1000 feet (which will still be hugely impressive and still give us a supertall).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

7. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Sorry I haven't been to Dubai, man I must live under a rock. Anyways, a 1,776ft tower has no place in dowtown OKC right now, I don't care how you argue it. Austin current tallest tower (875ft) doesn't even come close to this, so thats a bad comparison. Lets be realistic, OKC is not Dubai, NYC, or even Austin.
    I totally understand this. But this is what keeps us from growing, being realistic. Let’s do more than that. There will surely be other projects that follow that will put this to scale. Let’s think big and attract even more growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I totally understand this. But this is what keeps us from growing, being realistic. Let’s do more than that. There will surely be other projects that follow that will put this to scale. Let’s think big and attract even more growth.
    Lol...what keeps us from growing is that we're poor relative to our peers because we can't attract major companies because we're uneducated relative to our peers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    You totally miss the point, but oh well.

If you or anyone else gets so bent about an aspirational pie in the sky drawing, well, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell. No one is saying that this is actually going to get built, least of all the developer. But for you to say that the only reason to build a supertall is because of land availability is just silly. I pointed out examples where supertalls were built where there is plenty of land and pointed to what they represent, and your best argument against that is that we aren't Dubai or Austin. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Lol...what keeps us from growing is that we're poor relative to our peers because we can't attract major companies because we're uneducated relative to our peers.
    Meh. We just don't have the human capital Texas does, it isn't like they are some super-educated Boston-level super hub for education. They have no income tax and a huge population. Those are 2 of the biggest reason companies go there. And I doubt you are ok with getting rid of OK's income tax.

11. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Right. So let’s see if we can change that!

I know you can build a supertall anywhere you want. I am not dumb. My main argument is this is not good land use for downtown OKC. I would rather them build a equal maybe slightly taller tower on that site. Then spend the money and build another 2-3 500-600ft residential towers closer to the core. This gives the downtown core more density, and a level skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Meh. We just don't have the human capital Texas does, it isn't like they are some super-educated Boston-level super hub for education. They have no income tax and a huge population. Those are 2 of the biggest reason companies go there. And I doubt you are ok with getting rid of OK's income tax.
    Austin also has one of the best universities in the United States and a student population almost the size of Midwest City.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Austin has UT and other highly rated educational institutions near by. If they aren't Boston, we certainly aren't Austin. It attracted a huge highly educated tech support community. It didn't always have a huge population, but attracted a big influx of educated population based on high paying available jobs complementary to what they had and what they worked at bringing in. Oklahoma is generally anti education and doesn't have a great demographic for the companies with the best paying jobs.

Austin also has a way larger capital base that invests in start-ups. OKC is relatively capital poor and tech starved. We tend to think opening a restaurant is a great entrepreneurial goal, not starting a tech co with the ability to hire thousands in the near future. (Nothing against restaurants and the service industry, but that can't be the core of your growth.)

Yes, there are no state income taxes in Texas, but their overall tax burden is not low, even compared to OK. Texas has the 29th highest tax burden and OK just 41st.

Gentlemen. As someone who is very tuned into real estate development. I’ve seen this type of grandiose announcement made by developers looking for a quick cash grab or handout from a city. I can almost promise you, nothing proposed will be built. I suggest no one set themselves up for disappointment.

Default Residential Tower of 134 Stories Proposed for Downtown

It will be a skinny tower like the new ones in New York City.
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/71937684007/

Is this land being held by OCURA or a private seller? If OCURA, it seems pretty typical for developers to make big promises to get land on the cheap and then do something else.

It'd be neat to get towers, but I'm expecting 4-story wood framed apartments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Gentlemen. As someone who is very tuned into real estate development. I’ve seen this type of grandiose announcement made by developers looking for a quick cash grab or handout from a city. I can almost promise you, nothing proposed will be built. I suggest no one set themselves up for disappointment.
    What cash grab scheme do you think this is? Are you saying you believe NOTHING will be built? Is the developer bilking the investors? TIF isn't received until spent and something built, so not with the city. With leasing pre-payments? I doubt anyone puts down payments till at least steel is in place and floors starting to build out. Who are they grabbing cash from?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Do you know someone in the businesses involved that say this development won't be built? It's been in the works for years now. The city has already passed a TIF for it. I'll be glad to see the ground breaking next year to see it's being built. But to promise that nothing shown will be built is a stretch. Especially the 3 primary towers

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Is this land being held by OCURA or a private seller? If OCURA, it seems pretty typical for developers to make big promises to get land on the cheap and then do something else.

They've been showing towers for over 2 years now

This will never happen. There aren't even enough people who live in Oklahoma City who would be able to afford the rent in a tower that size with that many apartments.

Pipe dream.

But the renderings are nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    My entire FB feed is people sharing this today. As of typing this looks like Oklahoman has about 25 shares. OKCTalk is approaching 2K. So yea, this is already pretty much a meme. Waiting for the Oklahoma-meme IG pages and Lost Ogle to start making the jokes later today.
    Does anyone care what the Lost Ogle says about anything? They are a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post

What on earth are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    I don't see a Shake Shack logo in the renderings, am I just missing it?
    No you aren't missing it....just wishing for one

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Austin has UT and other highly rated educational institutions near by. If they aren't Boston, we certainly aren't Austin. It attracted a huge highly educated tech support community. It didn't always have a huge population, but attracted a big influx of educated population based on high paying available jobs complementary to what they had and what they worked at bringing in. Oklahoma is generally anti education and doesn't have a great demographic for the companies with the best paying jobs.

Austin also has a way larger capital base that invests in start-ups. OKC is relatively capital poor and tech starved. We tend to think opening a restaurant is a great entrepreneurial goal, not starting a tech co with the ability to hire thousands in the near future. (Nothing against restaurants and the service industry, but that can't be the core of your growth.)

Yes, there are no state income taxes in Texas, but their overall tax burden is not low, even compared to OK. Texas has the 29th highest tax burden and OK just 41st.
    But for companies going there, they get massive tax breaks, so they basically pay no property taxes. That burden gets shifted to the commoner.

Thread Information