Widgets Magazine
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Can’t get a Cadillac on a Chevy budget. The OK gas tax has not been increased since the late ‘80’s. Couple that with MPG increases over the same time, inflation and no ability to issue bonds, it is a wonder ODOT can do what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    One thing I would really like but it would EXTREMELY expensive is to replace that loop ramp that takes I-40 EB to the 235 NB into a flyover.
    That thing is a literal nightmare, very bad planning on ODOT's part when they built that

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    That thing is a literal nightmare, very bad planning on ODOT's part when they built that
    The only good thing I can say about it is at least you don't lose your lane immediately after making the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Can’t get a Cadillac on a Chevy budget. The OK gas tax has not been increased since the late ‘80’s. Couple that with MPG increases over the same time, inflation and no ability to issue bonds, it is a wonder ODOT can do what it does.
    The gas tax was increased by 3 cents some years back but none of it goes to the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The gas tax was increased by 3 cents some years back but none of it goes to the roads.
    Missed the 2018 increase, thanks for the correction

I went to the ODOT Public meeting last night regarding the overhaul of the I-35 / 122nd Street / Turner / Kilpatrick Turnpike interchange. I did not have high expectations but left even more underwhelmed. They started the meeting off by stating facts about how dangerous this whole interchange has become. Basically, what ODOT proposed is to add concrete barriers to not allow cars & semis to quickly change lanes when merging on. Semis & cars coming off the Turner Turnpike will not be able to get over until well past the 122nd exit. They mentioned trying to route Semis to exit Sooner Road via the I-35 northbound ramp from Turner (zoomed in on the right side of the attached image). They are also adding 1 lane to each side of the highway to account for these barriers. Really no work done to I-35 northbound except adding a lane. Shooting for a 2026 construction start and they say will take 9 months to complete. So it looks like this whole interchange will not change much at all for the next 10 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-35 & 122nd Interchange Map - Proposed Changes.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	629.9 KB 
ID:	18188

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-35 & 122nd Interchange Map - HEAT MAP.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	524.2 KB 
ID:	18189

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Shooting for a 2026 construction start and they say will take 9 months to complete. So it looks like this whole interchange will not change much at all for the next 10 years.
    seems like it will change a bunch for traffic flow (3 dedicated lanes south bound ) and safety (not allowing Turner traffic to exit on 122nd ) in the next 3-4 years ..

that is a huge deal ..

I'll be interested to see if OTA does anything to that interchange when they widen the Turner & Kilpatrick to 3 lanes in each direction. Right now, the Access Oklahoma website isn't showing anything slated for that interchange.

I do think signage would go a long ways in helping re-route truck traffic from I-44 to Sooner to the truck stops on 122nd though. Seems like that could be a cheap/easy fix for the interim until the project kicks off.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC B-Man View Post
    I do think signage would go a long ways in helping re-route truck traffic from I-44 to Sooner to the truck stops on 122nd though. Seems like that could be a cheap/easy fix for the interim until the project kicks off.
    this is a great idea and something that should happen asap

Quote Originally Posted by OKC B-Man View Post
    I don't think this will ever work for many reasons. First of all you have to exit I-35 northbound to access that Sooner Road 180 degree turn around exit, and if you know you need to go south on I-35 instead of north. Well.. Whoops. You are now exiting on Hefner Road. Also the 180 degree Sooner turn around USED TO BE A DIRT ROAD that ODOT eventually paved and made the Sooner exit! It is a joke! I can barely take that small tight turn in an SUV going 20 MPH.

Also, this is not a stop gap for when the next project comes. The consultants last night basically said this IS the proposed 10 year plan for this whole interchange.
    Turnpikes are the OTA. I-35 is ODOT. I highly doubt the overpasses connecting the Turner to the Kilpatrick ever get 3 lanes.

It will have to work because it will eventually be the only way trucks on I-44 will be able to access the truck stops on 122nd street. Sooner road will be the new route for I-44 to 122nd street traffic after they add the concrete barrier on I-35 south. How would you end up turning around on Hefner road after taking the I-35 north exit from I-44 by accident? Hefner is south of I-44. I agree, the Sooner Rd exit is in terrible shape. I’m assuming that is why ODOT is proposing making improvements to it as part of this project. It’s clearly shown in the picture you posted above. Unfortunately it will still be a pretty tight curve it looks like.

I’m well aware that turnpikes are OTA and I-35 is ODOT. Hopefully OTA will at least rework the east bound bridge over I-35 as part of the ACCESS projects. As it is now, it chokes down to 1 lane.

The trucks will probably continue on to the new QT a couple miles south rather than meander all that!

13. Default Re: Odot

Maybe l'm missing something but the only traffic that should be rerouted to Sooner Rd. in order to access the 122nd St. truck stops would be WB l-44 traffic. All the others will be able to access 122nd as normal - or am l wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Maybe l'm missing something but the only traffic that should be rerouted to Sooner Rd. in order to access the 122nd St. truck stops would be WB l-44 traffic. All the others will be able to access 122nd as normal - or am l wrong?
    You are correct.

The SH-9 interchange project is scheduled to be let for bid:

· Commissioners will consider awarding an up to $105 million project to realign the I-35 and SH-9W interchange south of Norman creating a Diverging Diamond Interchange.
    - https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...monday--a.html

HangryHippo Guest

Is this the same design they had planned before that dust up between Watts and Gatz?

Isn’t this the site of the most recent Buc-ee’s rumors? Maybe this will spur some action.

Any chance we can get this thread renamed "ODOT" instead of "Odot"? lol

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Is this the same design they had planned before that dust up between Watts and Gatz?
    nope ..

Same thing with the I-35/Waterloo interchange: pushed back to 2025
    Sorry to quote PP from almost a year ago, but this has to do with it:

EDMOND — An Oklahoma County commissioner hopes to put Oak Tree National "in the zone" for future major professional tournaments by improving traffic flows along the Oklahoma-Logan county line.

Myles Davidson, who represents northern Oklahoma County, proposes to work with counterparts in Logan County to spend bout $65 million in federal money to widen and improve Waterloo Road between Interstate 35 and State Highway 74 (Portland Avenue).

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...l/70426349007/

Blog Entries

Use the White Oaks Veterinary Clinic and it's tough getting from Oklahoma City to Edmond traveling Broadway to Waterloo.

Any improvements (expanded lanes) to Waterloo traveling east should improve traffic flow--that area is
    growing with homes and businesses.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    nope ..
    Were there renderings in this thread of the original plan? I can’t find them, but there may never have been any.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Sorry to quote PP from almost a year ago, but this has to do with it:

EDMOND — An Oklahoma County commissioner hopes to put Oak Tree National "in the zone" for future major professional tournaments by improving traffic flows along the Oklahoma-Logan county line.

Myles Davidson, who represents northern Oklahoma County, proposes to work with counterparts in Logan County to spend bout $65 million in federal money to widen and improve Waterloo Road between Interstate 35 and State Highway 74 (Portland Avenue).

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...l/70426349007/
    A new freeway in this area connecting I 35 to SH 74 would be great.

Oh hallelujah that would be fantastic.

If it ever happens, probably wouldn’t be free.

Thread Information