Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

For whatever reason, Rattler has looked very indecisive all season.

The OL wasn't great which didn't help, but when he did have good protection he'd hold the ball too long.

He seemed to lose confidence which is really strange. Maybe the expectations were just too high.

Rattler can opt for the NFL draft after this season which was always his presumed plan. We'll see what he decides to do.

One big benefit in starting Caleb Williams (in addition to him looking like a superstar) is that he is a true freshman which means he couldn't go into the draft for two more full seasons after this. By that time, 5-star Malachi Nelson will be through a likely freshman redshirt season and be ready to step in.

I really wish the best for Rattler. I'm not buying into the crap some people are heaping on him about being a head case, etc. He's been great for us and we'll likely need him again before this season is over. After that, I'd completely understand if he decided to leave for another school or the pros.

One huge difference is that Rattler wasn't playing behind the guy who would be a sligthly above-average starting center for the KC Chiefs the next yearl.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think they really gave Rattler a chance. Of course he had a couple bad games. But they should of gave him more time to develop. Moreover, Caleb Williams is good, but of course he is going to look good against an unranked team. With that being said, Rattler was named the started QB at the beginning of the season over Williams for a reason.

We'll see how Williams starting at QB pans out. But I am not completely sold after him only playing 6 quarters. Let's see how he looks against tougher teams like Baylor & OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I don't know, I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think they really gave Rattler a chance. Of course he had a couple bad games. But they should of gave him more time to develop. Moreover, Caleb Williams is good, but of course he is going to look good against an unranked team. With that being said, Rattler was named the started QB at the beginning of the season over Williams for a reason.
    Rattler was pulled while playing a ranked team. Williams is good and he has done it while playing a ranked team.

Yes, he was under pressure, but people are quick to forget how good Rattler played last year. Moreover, Texas is really not that good after all. Like I said, let's see how Williams looks the last 3 games of the season, which will be our toughest.

I do not really understand how they did not give Rattler a chance; he started all last season and was given a redshirt season. Coming out of high school he was a five-star recruit; this should have been plenty of time for development. Personally, I had been looking at Caleb since he was at Gonzaga High School and thought from the very beginning he was a better option than Spencer. Did I think he would start his freshman year, NO. Was it easy to see his upside was higher, ABSOLUTELY!!! In the spring game, you could already see the difference between the balls that Spencer and Caleb threw. Even in mid-range routes, you can see where Rattler will air it out, creating the pickable situation we have seen from him. When Caleb throws these same balls they are on a tight line. Also, Caleb's running ability adds another dimension to the offense we had not seen till now. The only reason Caleb did not start at the beginning of the season is because of Spencer's resume and experience with the program.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I'm also a little concerned about Williams in the last couple games and the conference championship game. But this is big time big money college football. You have to have your best playing players on the field. Especially the QB. Right now that's Williams. There is no time in this game to let a QB develop.

Watching Rattler this year, he had a problem finding his receivers. Too many times he's throwing into triple coverage. Plus his O-line wasn't the greatest early. Calib has the ability to scramble out of trouble better than SR. Ball security and his lack of a serious running threat did SR in. I think Williams motivates his teammates, which not so sure SR was doing much in that regard. Rattler is a good backup at this point. He has a great arm, just has to point it in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm also a little concerned about Williams in the last couple games and the conference championship game. But this is big time big money college football. You have to have your best playing players on the field. Especially the QB. Right now that's Williams. There is no time in this game to let a QB develop.
    i think that's what made the timing of the switch ideal... following the texas game, ou's next three opponents were tcu, kansas, and texas tech. i'd think that these would be less challenging teams that would give a new qb time to settle in to the starting position before playing the last, and potentially more challenging, three games of the season.

So what are people gonna say when Williams has a bad game, and throws a couple picks? They are gonna boo him? Bring Rattler back? I don't know, I just think Rattler just had a bad couple games, and should of got one more game to redeem himself.

So what are people gonna say when Williams has a bad game, and throws a couple picks? They are gonna boo him? Bring Rattler back? I don't know, I just think Rattler just had a bad couple games, and should of got one more game to redeem himself.
    Hate to say it but we probably would have lost that game to TX if he'd stayed in. He had just coughed the ball up on not much of a hit.

13. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

He started 5 games, and aside from the Western Carolina game, he was uninspiring. We were lucky to come out undefeated, and fortunate to have Caleb step in for the UT game. What else do you want Lincoln to do?

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Rattler was the first 5 star QB Riley signed out of high school. He studied under Jalen Hurts and won the starting job last year over Tanner Mordecai. I would bet Riley knew the day would come when he would have to make a decision like this after Williams committed.

Riley feels loyalty to Rattler since he was his first recruit to start, and also because he was the starter last year. Riley also knows, and it is very plain to see (don't know why most of you can't), but it is night & day between the skill and leadership abilities between the two. Williams is the better athlete. He's stronger, faster and can pick holes like a running back. Williams has equivalent or better passing skills. Williams has yet to turn the ball over, albeit he's only played six full quarters.

Most of all, and most importantly at this time in the season, Williams is a LEADER! Rattler is not. You can see this on the field and on the sidelines during the games. His teammates play harder for him because of his leadership abilities. It's not necessarily because they don't like Rattler, but they want the field general they have the most trust in, who won't get them killed in battle and lead them to victory. They choose Williams. This is why Riley chose Williams. Riley's not going to go with a field general because of loyalty, especially when his soldiers are telling him it's time for a change.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

One bad game and you won't hear a peep from me. 4.5 bad games and the team energy drops to what is was and you might see a lot if capitalization in my posts. More so than Rattler's really iffy play was the team seemingly not playing hard for him. I strongly believe there's something going on between Rattler and the rest of the team. The sure play harder for Williams.

To be honest, I have no idea how anyone could’ve watched all or most of the games over the last two seasons and come to this conclusion. Just a night and day difference. Williams hands down a better QB in pretty much every way other than rattler other than maybe throwing motion. The way the game comes so naturally to him as a true freshman and the way he’s provided such a massive instant spark for the whole team is like nothing I’ve ever seen in college football.

Texas may not be as good as we thought but they are good enough that it would still be extremely difficult to come back from 21 down against them after being thrown into one of the biggest rivalry games in the country in the second half. To not only do that but to do so as a true freshman who hadn’t played football in a game since 2019 was almost inconceivable. He followed that up with a heisman type performance the the frankly made look easy. Time will tell, but so there is almost no comparison between he and rattler. The eye test is undefeated.

One bad game and you won't hear a peep from me. 4.5 bad games and the team energy drops to what is was and you might see a lot if capitalization in my posts. More so than Rattler's really iffy play was the team seemingly not playing hard for him. I strongly believe there's something going on between Rattler and the rest of the team. The sure play harder for Williams.
    Agreed. I’m not sure where that sentiment comes from. OU has never been quick to turn on QBs over a game or two and if Williams can’t do it for some reason…who the hell else is going to? Landry Jones is probably the QB that OU fans have the most irrational negative feelings for but he earned some of that after years of having subpar performances against big time competition, seemingly more often than others had. Hurts got some hate but it was after a several games of looking very one dimensional against better defenses and Rattler was on the bench behind him who everyone thought might be better. Didn’t hear many complaints about him after he bailed himself out of that Baylor game. In this situation…the offense is humming and even if he looks like a freshman for a game or two…there’s no one else to turn to behind CW…no one will be calling for anyone else.

He's been pretty bad the whole year
    With a few exceptions here and there

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    He's been pretty bad the whole year
    With a few exceptions here and there
    Exactly. Rattler has had a season and a half and been average the whole time. Does no one think it's a coincidence that all of a sudden our 'incompetent O-Line and running game' work perfectly with Caleb Williams? Watch SR for a game and you can see that he has low (in game) IQ for a QB. He never makes it to his 2nd or 3rd option before panicking and running or throwing into coverage. He reminds me of early Nate Hybl or Paul Thompson. Our offenses cratered when both of them came in off the bench. It's hard to remember but we had top 5 defenses that majorly bailed them out during that time. Both Hybl and PT settled in and improved, Rattler really hasn't, and CWis just clearly better.

I'm surprised that people think he's such a lock to be successful in the NFL. He already throws to NFL talent and struggles against Big 12 defenses. I'm not sure how he's gonna do so much better in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    Exactly. Rattler has had a season and a half and been average the whole time. Does no one think it's a coincidence that all of a sudden our 'incompetent O-Line and running game' work perfectly with Caleb Williams? Watch SR for a game and you can see that he has low (in game) IQ for a QB. He never makes it to his 2nd or 3rd option before panicking and running or throwing into coverage. He reminds me of early Nate Hybl or Paul Thompson. Our offenses cratered when both of them came in off the bench. It's hard to remember but we had top 5 defenses that majorly bailed them out during that time. Both Hybl and PT settled in and improved, Rattler really hasn't, and CWis just clearly better.

I'm surprised that people think he's such a lock to be successful in the NFL. He already throws to NFL talent and struggles against Big 12 defenses. I'm not sure how he's gonna do so much better in the league.
    Rattler looked pretty good down the stretch last year. Good enough for everyone to consider him the Heisman front runner. But this year, he's definitely been average outside of the Western Carolina game, a few drives against WVU and the second half of the KSU game.

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

G. Walker. It really sounds like you're either a Rattler fan or a defender of loyalty in big time sports. Or some combination. If it's the former I completely understand. I've been a huge fan of players in all kinds of sports that just didn't pan out. If the latter then you're wishing for something that just doesn't exist in today's college and pro sports.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Rattler looked pretty good down the stretch last year. Good enough for everyone to consider him the Heisman front runner. But this year, he's definitely been average outside of the Western Carolina game, a few drives against WVU and the second half of the KSU game.
    He was a Heisman front runner because he was Lincoln Riley's starting QB. Caleb Williams is being considered with only 2 games on his resume.

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    He was a Heisman front runner because he was Lincoln Riley's starting QB. Caleb Williams is being considered with only 2 games on his resume.
    That was part of it but he did play very well to close out the season after the initial two losses. I think CW will top that this year but that doesn't take away anything from how well Rattler played last season, especially for a redshirt freshmen (which of course makes what CW is doing so far as a true freshman even crazier).

G. Walker. It really sounds like you're either a Rattler fan or a defender of loyalty in big time sports. Or some combination. If it's the former I completely understand. I've been a huge fan of players in all kinds of sports that just didn't pan out. If the latter then you're wishing for something that just doesn't exist in today's college and pro sports.
    I'm neither. But I have been a coach and a player of football before and I know what its like to have pressure to play certain players. But for Rattler to be booed by his own fans because he throws a couple picks has to be the worst feeling ever. Poor kid, just think he should of been given a chance to redeem himself. I'm sure he would of put the same numbers qs Williams against TCU. We are having this conversation because of 1 play. If Rattler never had fumbled that ball against Texas, we would be having different conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Hate to say it but we probably would have lost that game to TX if he'd stayed in. He had just coughed the ball up on not much of a hit.
    Let's not act like our defense isn't horrible. We have no problem scoring. But our defense has been subpar all season.

Thread Information