Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 141 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404186136 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I wonder if you can get up to life in prison in Oklahoma for selling them? Or growing them?
    Who knows?

The potent magic mushrooms (shrooms) come from cow manure or can be grown. They are referred to as Psilocybin (Psychedelic) mushrooms--they contain a chemical that bruises blue in the cap or stem. This chemical is very toxic to the body, poisonous mushrooms look very similar; if you don't know what you're getting (can't identify), there is a risk--sickness and/or death.

My first and only experience was at a Halloween party; you're talking about laughing hysterically--it was a silly (yet risky) experience in my life. Everything in sight would make you laugh; this went on for about two hours. Believe me, knowing what I know now, it's not worth the risk.

Shroomery - Magic Mushrooms (Shrooms) Demystified

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Who knows?

The potent magic mushrooms (shrooms) come from cow manure or can be grown. They are referred to as Psilocybin (Psychedelic) mushrooms--they contain a chemical that bruises blue in the cap or stem. This chemical is very toxic to the body, poisonous mushrooms look very similar; if you don't know what you're getting (can't identify), there is a risk--sickness and/or death.

My first and only experience was at a Halloween party; you're talking about laughing hysterically--it was a silly (yet risky) experience in my life. Everything in sight would make you laugh; this went on for about two hours. Believe me, knowing what I know now, it's not worth the risk.

Shroomery - Magic Mushrooms (Shrooms) Demystified
    What so bad about laughing too easily? It's better than tanking up on alcohol until you can't see straight and pass out with a bad hangover the next morning.

I've eaten enough mushrooms in my pre-parental past to know that they definitely demand, and deserve, respect. But the toxicity of psilocybin isn't really a concern at all. Amanita Muscaria (aka Fly Agaric), the often depicted 'magic mushrooms' that are red with white spots, their toxicity is a concern, but they don't contain psilocybin at all. Incidentally, Amanitas are totally legal.

If you only giggled for a couple hours, you barely had a dose at all.

So can we order these on our Pizza? How about some magic pizza tonight? Sausage and shrooms please.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Obviously mushrooms are the way to go.
    Don't forget LSD.

Sorry, not going to read through 30+ pages of "drug" talk just to see if what I'm sure has been said has:

The time is now for Oklahoma to introduce itself to the 21st century and pass marijuana legislation.
    The archaic laws have seen their time and they've produced no benefit whatsoever to the good citizens.

My advice: introduce the positive benefits of cannabis, hemp, etc. in conversation to family and friends and always compare it to alcohol and cigarettes.
    Just start putting some words in their ears, turn the conversations. It starts with the people. From there, we go bigger and demand legislation.

It'll work, trust me. Even in this state. We just have to get the conversation going mainstream and EDUCATE people.

And no, I don't partake in the benefits of said narcotic... Never have, just looking at this issue from a liberty and common sense perspective.

Lets see what happens if/when it is legalized nationally. I think in 2015 Oklahoma is a long long ways - maybe decades - from accepting cannabis legalization on its own. After it is removed from the national list of schedule I substances, states like Oklahoma will be forced to revisit policy on it. You can't have something that is legal in neighboring states and on tribal lands landing people in prison for life if they are caught with it on the wrong side of an imaginary line. I am sure that if the legislature refuses to do something, there may be a fight that ends up an federal court when that day comes.

Does anybody know whether marijuana is mentioned in the Oklahoma constitution? Will legalizing it require an amendment or is it something the legislature could do?

Not sure about the latter part of your post/question (maybe I'll look through the OK Constitution this weekend), but I am confident that we aren't decades away. The reason being is this:

"OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - An effort to legalize medical marijuana in Oklahoma has fallen short of the number of signatures needed to put the issue on a ballot, but the initiative petition’s organizer vowed Thursday to circulate a new ballot measure next year.

Officials at the Secretary of State’s Office said Tulsa-based Oklahomans for Health needed 155,216 voter signatures to get the medical marijuana issue on the Nov. 4 general election ballot. But workers who wrapped up the validation process on Thursday counted only 75,384 valid signatures..."

Read more: Oklahoma medical marijuana petition falls short - Washington Times

To note, and this is a BIG note, Tulsa county had to leave ALL of their signatures behind due to a clerical error if what I was told was correct. I believe that had some 20,000-30,000 signatures alone. Also, I wasn't able to sign, nor any potential family and friends who I think may have signed in favor.
    The conversation is turning, it's up to us, the people, to keep it turning. If we rise, and pressure OKC, they will bend in fear of their jobs and legacies. We can make progress, we just have to continue educating and telling people it's not as scary as they've been told their whole lives. Which is why I made the note to always compare it to alcohol and cigarettes (both combined kill hundreds of thousands a year).

But getting marijuana legalized in Oklahoma requires a lot of political demand on the part of the people. Getting all those 75,000+ signatures with only little more than $60,000 budget and without much paid help, much was voluntary, was quite a remarkable feat but was far from enough. Fortunately, with the next petition requiring fewer or around 135,000 signatures and hopefully much more funding for the campaign, it can succeed. I tend to doubt it will take decades more before it can be legalized, especially if legalization in other states continue appearing to go well. Besides, over crowded Oklahoma prisons can not be sustained with ever more drug prisoners. Oklahoma anti drug laws are going to have to be significantly reformed sooner or later, but not decades from now.

The clerical error had to do with volunteers printing petitions on standard sized typing paper, rather than the mandatory legal sized paper.

When does the next petition drive start? One would think that some of those folks from other States that have passed the law would want to come and help Ok.

The low end of the spectrum would make a good crop for Oklahoma. Hemp rope is strong and you can put in your composter after it breaks or wears out.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    When does the next petition drive start? One would think that some of those folks from other States that have passed the law would want to come and help Ok.
    The group that was promoting it the most was Oklahomans for Health (Medical Marijuana Legalization | Oklahomans For Health) and it actually shows a calendar for the next petition drive starting August 1st, 2015, although the site seems a little light on overall content. Their focus is on medicinal marijuana (probably the most viable option right now for our state in regards to what can pass).

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    The group that was promoting it the most was Oklahomans for Health (Medical Marijuana Legalization | Oklahomans For Health) and it actually shows a calendar for the next petition drive starting August 1st, 2015, although the site seems a little light on overall content. Their focus is on medicinal marijuana (probably the most viable option right now for our state in regards to what can pass).
    I hope they can figure out a way to raise a lot more money to pay signature takers. That was the main reason their petition failed the first time around. They had hoped generous donations would come in from outside the state, but it never happened. And then not enough highly spirited volunteers rose up for the cause. But with 75,000 signatures officially counted and thousands more that didn't get counted, it was still great for what they did for what little money they had to work with.

I agree. Perhaps last year was really just the foundation being laid. I'm sure this year they'll have even more exposure. It was literally one of those things that just popped up out of no where and showed promise of sprouting legs. I believe this year will be the year we see those legs start walking.

The historic medical marijuana bill a trio of senators plan to unveil on Tuesday has a bit of something for everyone.

The bill, which activists describe as a first for the Senate, would end the federal prohibition on medical marijuana and implement a number of critical reforms that advocates of both medical and recreational marijuana have been seeking for years, according to several people familiar with the details of the proposal. It would reclassify the drug in the eyes of the Drug Enforcement Administration, allow for limited inter-state transport of the plant, expand access to cannabis for research, and make it easier for doctors to recommend the drug to veterans and easier for banks to provide services to the industry.

More ---> What?s in the historic medical marijuana bill being unveiled - The Washington Post

FYI, I came across this tidbit about an official rally and petition kick off this Saturday, 4/18 at Burn Co hosted by Oklahomans for Health:

Free RSVP Online | Track RSVP?s and registrations for your events and recurring meetings.

I can't find much else on it, but it does appear legit.
    I may try and go if I have time, although my Saturday was already planned. It looks like you have to RSVP, but, surely they don't expect all attendees to RSVP.

If I may encourage, if you can't go, please forward this info along to a friend or family member who you may think is interested.

Another update:

Group launches petition to legalize medical marijuana

By: Tom George, Reporter

"Oklahomans could soon have the opportunity to vote on allowing medical marijuana in the state

The group Oklahomans for Health announced it will be launching a petition that would allow the use of medical marijuana for people with a documented need for it.

Last year, a similar petition fell short. This year, the group will need around 130,000 signatures of registered voters to get the measure on the ballot.

This year, lawmakers passed "Katie's Law," which allows the use of cannabis oil for conditions like seizures, but only with low THC content.

Brittany Warrior moved to Colorado from Tulsa with her 2-year-old daughter Jaqie. Jaqie has improved from having hundred of seizures a day to making strides in therapy, talking, and moving. Her mom says "Katie's Law" doesn't go far enough for her daughter.

The group will start gathering signatures in August, and have until October to get to 130,000. From there, medical marijuana will go to voters."

Less signatures required, a little more experience this go around, another year of more people realizing the damages of prohibition...I think they get it on the ballot this time.

If they we're smart they'd try to get on the 2018 ballot and not 2016. Too many presidential turnout voters in 16 who will say no. But '18 the turnout will be low and the # of people required to get a yes on the issue won't be as many. Sets the bar lower to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    If they we're smart they'd try to get on the 2018 ballot and not 2016. Too many presidential turnout voters in 16 who will say no. But '18 the turnout will be low and the # of people required to get a yes on the issue won't be as many. Sets the bar lower to pass.
    The number of signatures required is based off the previous statewide elections. Seeing how Presidential elections on the ballot increase the turnout by a large margin, waiting until after the "16 election would require much more signatures. Oklahoma had a depressingly low turnout in November of 2014 so the best opportunity to get the required signatures is before 2016.

And I think you would be surprised by the amount of people that will vote yes for legalization, especially if its just for medicinal use. When it comes to individual issues like higher min wages, pot decriminalization, even red state voters have shown to vote more liberal

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I have to applaud the strategy thought out here, and it certainly makes sense, but...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    The number of signatures required is based off the previous statewide elections. Seeing how Presidential elections on the ballot increase the turnout by a large margin, waiting until after the "16 election would require much more signatures. Oklahoma had a depressingly low turnout in November of 2014 so the best opportunity to get the required signatures is before 2016.

And I think you would be surprised by the amount of people that will vote yes for legalization, especially if its just for medicinal use. When it comes to individual issues like higher min wages, pot decriminalization, even red state voters have shown to vote more liberal
    I think supporters of this could easily mobilize enough to get out one day to vote for this. Social media is on the side of issues like these, given the number of younger people utilizing social media compared to older.
    Start spreading the word around to friends and family NOW, so it's in the back of their minds come August, when you can then remind them to get out and go find a ballot.

This would be a huge step forward for Oklahoma.

Thread Information