Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Baylor Bears 27 - Oklahoma Sooners 14

Gamecast https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401287938

Blog Entries

Not making excuses; however, there was an obvious pass interference the referees missed down the stretch by Baylor that could have impacted this game had it been called.

The announcers noted that they didn't see how the crew missed it. They showed it in the replay . . .

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Not making excuses; however, there was an obvious pass interference the referees missed down the stretch by Baylor that could have impacted this game had it been called.

The announcers noted that they didn't see how the crew missed it. They showed it in the replay . . .
    Oh yeah there were a ton of missed pass interference calls but the game shouldn’t ever come down to the refs. If we were running the ball worth a damn (or if they continued to go to parts of the run game that were working), that wouldn’t have been an issue but our line was getting out played by Baylor and it was almost like LR refused to go back to parts of our run and short passing game that were working. I def agree with you on the missed calls but on the road you’ve got to play well enough that those things don’t have that big of effect.

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Oh yeah there were a ton of missed pass interference calls but the game shouldn’t ever come down to the refs. If we were running the ball worth a damn (or if they continued to go to parts of the run game that were working), that wouldn’t have been an issue but our line was getting out played by Baylor and it was almost like LR refused to go back to parts of our run and short passing game that were working. I def agree with you on the missed calls but on the road you’ve got to play well enough that those things don’t have that big of effect.
    As to the running game. I don't remember but have they put Brooks and Major behind Williams to make the defense worry about all three?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    As to the running game. I don't remember but have they put Brooks and Major behind Williams to make the defense worry about all three?
    Major has only been back for a few games and hasn't played much so probably not. They may have done that type of formation with Jeramiah Hall, but it doesn't stick out. It would be similar to the Diamond Formation stuff we did a few years back with Demetri Flowers, Rodney Anderson and Joe Mixon. I could be misremembering as I think the Diamond Formation may have been used earlier than those guys but I feel like all three of them were on the field together at some point.

IMO, the issue was both Baylor's smothering backfield coverage and inaccurate passing. I think CWs hand hurt him more than was let on. I think OU handles I-State next week but OSU now scares me.

BTW, was anyone else as incensed as l was at Baylor kicking that last second field goal instead of just downing it?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    BTW, was anyone else as incensed as l was at Baylor kicking that last second field goal instead of just downing it?
    Not at all. That was probably the very last thing that got/gets me angry about that game and this team in general.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Not at all. That was probably the very last thing that got/gets me angry about that game and this team in general.
    This. There was WAY too much wrong with this game to get mad over a field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    This. There was WAY too much wrong with this game to get mad over a field goal.
    That was my take. And frankly it was a little embarrassing to me as a graduate and a fan that LR was acting as belligerent as he was about it and continued to comment on how he wouldn’t have done it, etc. That whole deal just make LR look like a sore loser and really soft, which has been a criticism of his teams (especially on the defensive side but Baylor was much more physical on both sides of the ball and it showed. OU fans may hate it, but Aranda won the game and has a national championship under his belt…maybe he was showing some of the killer instinct that LR’s teams have clearly lacked. Argue that Baylor should’ve been penalized for rushing the field, sure. But otherwise just get the the kids back out on the field and get it over with. Like it or not, Aranda had good reason to want to score more points due to the big 12 tie breaker criteria. It just seems really weak for LR to bitch and moan so much about that after his team got manhandled for 3 hours coming out of a bye week. . Don’t like that they wanted to score more points? Then prepare better and don’t put yourself in that position.

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I defended Williams last week in the loss. Though rewatching that game I overrated his performance. Today he horribly missed seeing open downfield receivers. He makes up some with his feet but he has to see downfield better. I think it's just a true freshman that didn't play his senior year in high school thing that he'll recover from. Hopefully we'll have a good offense around him next year.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma Sooners 28 vs Iowa State Cyclones 21

Gamecast https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401287944

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Oklahoma Sooners 33 vs Oklahoma State Cowboys 37

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401287951

Congrats to the Pokes. NOW allow me to rant. All this talk of LR to LSU. WHY in the hell are OU fans all bent out of shape about the possibility? I don't get it. OU is a national brand in its own right, has 7 NC's and played in the CFB playoffs 4 times. Could we recruit better, yes, is it maybe a little harder than schools in the deep south, maybe, but our traditional recruiting territory has been Texas. I would not automatically increase LR salary to double digits just because LS who offers him that much. There ought to be something said for the support of the entire administration for your program. Ask BS, it matters. Love LR BUT if he leaves then I trust JC to have done his homework and identified a candidate that can carry on the GREAT tradition that is OU football.

Blog Entries

IIRC Lincoln Riley answered that question prior to the Bedlam game. He said he was not going to LSU.

HangryHippo Guest

Lincoln Riley leaving for USC.

Wowza, that's a heckuva move. First OU coaching search since 1999 is about to get under way. Let the speculation and flight tracking to and from Norman...begin.

Brent Venables would be a great hire

18. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

At least LR was being honest when he said he wasn't going to LSU.

Blog Entries

Reported that Riley was against going to the SEC. That's why he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Reported that Riley was against going to the SEC. That's why he left.
    This is why I think OU should hire a successful coordinator from the SEC.

The head coach didn't want to compete in the SEC, so OU should hire someone who has already competed and had success in the SEC. Plus, whoever that is, already has had recruiting experience and connections in the SEC.

If they go after a name, like Texas did, expect the same results. Get someone who has already competed on that level.

On one hand it was a terrible way to leave OU. Talk about burned bridges.

On the other hand, we all have left jobs for better jobs. Now I don't see how USC is a better job than OU, but that's not for me to say.

Hope the best for OU.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    On one hand it was a terrible way to leave OU. Talk about burned bridges.

On the other hand, we all have left jobs for better jobs. Now I don't see how USC is a better job than OU, but that's not for me to say.

Hope the best for OU.
    I don't really blame Lincoln at all. This should very much be viewed as a Durantian move.

His finesse style was always going to be suspect against clutch, southern defenses. And it will be much easier for him to win bigly in the PAC.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Wish Lincoln Riley the best, he'll have the west coast as a new domain.

USC's program will need a spark to compete with cross-town rival UCLA & PAC 12 brotherhood. The Trojan defense lacks the swagger it once possessed and he has a wealth of California based players if he can keep 'em in that region.

The future move to the SEC now has me having second thoughts after witnessing Nebraska, Arkansas & Texas A & M's move to the Big 10 & the SEC where these former Big 12 and SWC teams chose to move--it hasn't been as productive (Wins vs. losses) as anticipated.

Coale, Kruger, and now Riley. All eyes are on Gasso.

reports out now that Linc to USC talks started months ago ..

Thread Information