Widgets Magazine
Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

From what I hear from family in Dallas, the north store is killing it. The closest store prior to that store was in Plano. But it is crazy that there will be two Costco's within five miles of each other. I understand the north store is a normal size store.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I just set up a prescription for my dog at COSTCO Pharmacy. $48/mo at the vet, $16.50 at COSTCO for a thyroid drug my lab will have to take for life.
    It's amazing how many people need it. I have taken thyroid since I was 6 years old, so does my mother and my sister because of Hashimoto's. My father takes it because of age (81) and my father-in-law took it because the radiation for throat cancer killed his thyroid gland. Then my dog needed later in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Costco plans second Dallas location (within city limits) but doesn't ask for any incentives ($3 million for first one) - interesting how companies play the game...

https://candysdirt.com/2018/09/27/ne...at-greenville/
    If someone is willing to offer you money why not take it. The difference is Costco was already in DFW, it was the lure to get them to OKC and is that way in most new markets. Austin still only has two Costco stores.

3. Default Re: Costco

apparently even Dallas had to lure Costco originally given the $3m incentive they paid. Hopefully the latter logic pays out for OKC in that we'll get new Costco stores without the need for incentives too. I bet that will be the case.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Austin still only has two Costco stores.
    While technically true, my understanding is Pflugerville and Cedar Park now have one. It's like putting one in Edmond and another in Norman and saying OKC only has one rather than three. Not "wrong", per se.

Started clearing trees here today.

Yea!

Is there a building permit or construction permit or whatever it's called?

^

Yes, there is a building permit.

Is it really that much cooler than Sam's?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    The easiest way to look at it is that Costco=Target and Sam's=Walmart.

If you don't care about the differences in those stores you probably won't care about Costco.

As we left the Sams Club on Memorial on Sunday there was a fight in the parking lot with lots of f-bombs being dropped. It was a good reminder that regardless of actual ownership, Sams Club really is the Walmart of warehouse stores.

12. Default Re: Costco

COSTCO is like Sams but bit more targeted to upscale, whereas Sams Club is all about value. The beauty of Costco is their prices are actually not more expensive than Sams or other Warehouse stores.

Pete illustrated it nicely but I'll expand it a little: Costco = Target but without the expense. Sams = cleaner more organized Walmart.

And yes, the fight(s) at Sam's Club very likely would not happen at Costco; just something about the place warrants a higher level of behavior.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The easiest way to look at it is that Costco=Target and Sam's=Walmart.

If you don't care about the differences in those stores you probably won't care about Costco.
    Very apt comparison.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. While I agree that fights in and of themselves might not be as frequent at Costco, I want to take pains (literally, as in my ankles STILL hurt from this lesson, laid down upon me years ago) to point out that you do NOT want to be in between a little old lady and the free samples. They know how to use that cart. And before someone says "Yeah, that happens at Sam's, too" I want to repeat, you DO NOT want to be between the little old ladies and the free samples. Yes, people at Sam's are rude. The lol at Costco aren't rude, they just don't care about you. At all.

15. Default Re: Costco

I've had memberships to both and IMO the quality of food and many other specialty products is far better at COSTCO. The meat, especially. Their Kirkland brands are generally very good.

Costco pays their employees more $$$$ and provides better benefits, as well as treating their employees nicer, equaling happier and motivated and pleasant and cheerful and helpful employees.

In my experience this leads to better, much better, customer service and a better shopping experience.

Night and day difference.

I've had memberships to both and IMO the quality of food and many other specialty products is far better at COSTCO. The meat, especially. Their Kirkland brands are generally very good.
    Interesting. I'd like to see what they have that's better than usda prime.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    While technically true, my understanding is Pflugerville and Cedar Park now have one. It's like putting one in Edmond and another in Norman and saying OKC only has one rather than three. Not "wrong", per se.
    I didn't know that they were opening those up this summer, there was talk of it when I lived in Austin (until 2012) but it was always the same speculation that that the OKC location went through. The South Austin store was built only a couple of years before we moved.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    We shop at Sam's way more than Costco, it's closer to us, easier to get in/out of and never as busy. In fact my wife needs some more supplies for her business since the fall craft fair season and holiday sales are gearing up so we need to renew the card at Costco because there are a few things she gets there that Sam's doesn't have.

Just heard from The Oklahoman they are getting one of these things here!

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Just heard from The Oklahoman they are getting one of these things here!
    well great... now that the mentioned it... it will scare them off... /sarcasm

In their story they mention opening around April of next year, that cant be possible can it?

Blog Entries

anything is possible with the right mix of engineering and capital

No way they are open by April.

The Tulsa Costco broke ground in March 2015 and opened in April of 2016.

Even allowing for 90 days of claimed weather delays (because we almost *never* get bad weather in Oklahoma ), that is a 9 month start-to-finish time.

The OKC store just started this month so 9 months would be mean June at the earliest and I bet it will be more like August/Sept.

Blog Entries

^Glad you chimed in on that. I saw that in paper today and thought they must truck in a pre-fab building!

Thread Information