Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Zero local stories in today's Sunday business section. A continuing and sad trend.

https://thelostogle.com/2023/08/09/b...e95aXoKQVyD38E
    It looks like Both Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel are leaving the Oklahoman.

^

Holy cow.

Sports is by far and away the biggest draw at the Oklahoman and Berry Tramel is the main reason.

As veteran reporters continue to leave, they are generally replaced by kids right out of college or from a small-town paper -- or with a regional person not even based here.

4. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Wow, that's big if true. Tramel is one of the only reasons I still subscribe.

5. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As veteran reporters continue to leave, they are generally replaced by kids right out of college or from a small-town paper -- or with a regional person not even based here.
    The Oklahoman should go get George Stoia. I first read him in the Oklahoma Daily.. He's young, but uber-talented.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    The Oklahoman should go get George Stoia. I first read him in the Oklahoma Daily.. He's young, but uber-talented.
    He left covering the Denver Broncos to join SoonerScoop. Not sure I see him making this jump.

7. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    He left covering the Denver Broncos to join SoonerScoop. Not sure I see him making this jump.
    I'm just thinking selfishly that I would like to read him in the DOK

i would guess that he makes far far more at soonerscoop then the oklahoman could pay him

9. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Driving around the city yesterday I saw 2 digital billboards that read "Berry Tramel is a Traitor". I'm at a loss to understand why someone would pay for that message and what they hope to accomplish.

Driving around the city yesterday I saw 2 digital billboards that read "Berry Tramel is a Traitor". I'm at a loss to understand why someone would pay for that message and what they hope to accomplish.
    Pretty sure it was viral marketing for whatever digital media startup he is joining. Not sure it's going to be very effective viral marketing, mind you, but at the same time I'm guessing it doesn't cost too much money to rent out space on those electronic billboards.

11. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Having just bought ads on several Griffin boards within the past few months I can tell you it definitely ain’t free though.

He is moving to a new sports start-up called Sellout Crowd -- the site (sellout-crowd.com) is not yet operational.

The billboards are all part of a promotion.

They are also planning to bring on writers from the Tulsa World and provide in-depth coverage of OU, OSU, and The Thunder.

I would never claim to be a business genius, but it feels like it would have been a good move to get the site up and running before buying the billboards.

^

Holy cow.

Sports is by far and away the biggest draw at the Oklahoman and Berry Tramel is the main reason.

Welp no more reason to subscribe

Blog Entries

Yes, can drop my digital subscription. It’s been pretty pitiful but at least could read some good Berry sports wit and insight.

I'm running a multi million dollar construction project at the new Wal mart campus in NWA and it's pretty cool that they devote a bunch of time to razorback sports on I think the local NBC affiliate. If our local stations weren't so hell bent on providing 3 hours of news from 4 to 7, it'd be cool to have better coverage for the Thunder, Sooners and Cowboys.

Sports talk is great in the market, but the coverage of the pro and college teams is lacking

Blog Entries

18. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

appears the billboards were not an attack but were a marketing campaign by Tramel/his new venture. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    appears the billboards were not an attack but were a marketing campaign by Tramel/his new venture. ..
    which is what Pete said

It's very strange the Oklahoma is allowing Tramel and Carlson to keep working there even after Berry himself acknowledged in their own publication he is leaving for a new job.

I suspect they know he is probably their biggest draw and are trying to squeeze out every last drop of readership.

It's very strange the Oklahoma is allowing Tramel and Carlson to keep working there even after Berry himself acknowledged in their own publication he is leaving for a new job.

I suspect they know he is probably their biggest draw and are trying to squeeze out every last drop of readership.
    I wondered the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. It's still very weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I wondered the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. It's still very weird.
    Does Gannett own the new company with plans for it to be like the Athletic and New York Times?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Does Gannett own the new company with plans for it to be like the Athletic and New York Times?
    My understanding it is a local business not affiliated with Gannett.

24. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

It’s really refreshing to see so many of the stalwarts still here after so long. I’ve been away for a minute but I’m making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    It’s really refreshing to see so many of the stalwarts still here after so long. I’ve been away for a minute but I’m making a comeback.
    Welcome back! Have always enjoyed your input.

Thread Information