Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Agree... Texlahoma is putting out a great product.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

hey everybody... so, i'm cooking for a crowd next weekend and have gotten a request specifically for sausage... i don't usually do sausages while smoking at home and would really like to get something good... not just the standard hot links. for reference, i really like the sausages they serve at iron star. so... anybody know of the best sausages around to buy and cook to go with barbecue?

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I have not tried these yet ,but if my failing memory is correct, the Winco in Moore was carrying Smokey Denmark brand from Austin right after they opened. I've been wanting to try them for a couple of years but they weren't available anywhere around here.

I really haven't cooked for myself in awhile, only been doing caterings, and no one has requested sausages. So haven't had a chance to try them.

I have used the Kountry Boy sausages that Sam's carries (or at least they were last December) for a catering and got good feedback on them.

Locally I like the sausages from Bill Kamp's or you could try Native Meat Company.... I'm not really a fan of the andouille they are providing to Maple's but they may have other sausages.

Lots of sausages out there, so you'll get a bunch of subjective input. For brats, hard to beat Johnsonville. They have tons of flavor options - there is a special edition chipotle out right now that is really good. For Italian sausage, Lovera's is a favorite (they have a hot and a mild). Natural Grocers also carries Mulay's - they make several different sausages (made in Crested Butte). Really good, but I don't love their chorizo. The other varieties are very good. Seigi's out of Tulsa is delicious, and they carry some of them at Crest. Beef Jerky Emporium used to have a bunch of Seigi's sausages.

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Yeah.... I'll second Siegi's..... Artisan's Pride Meat Market in Norman carries a decent selection of Siegi's.... Although if you have the time I'd recommend making the drive to Tulsa and eating at their restaurant and then hitting their grocery.... If you've never been you won't regret it.

thanks! all great suggestions. totally forgot about seigi's and didn't know they carried them at crest... i've never seen them at the sw 104th store, but maybe they're next to the deli case with the other specialty items.

i'm also curious about that smokey denmark brand... the family member making the request is out of texas and might've had something like that in mind. hopefully winco is still stocking them.

i've been meaning to try native meat company... but i'm cooking for 40ish and i'm guessing they're a bit above my price point for that quantity.

One more that I forgot - Hebert's has some outstanding cajun sausages. They have boudin made with several different meats if you want something unique, as well as really good andouille. The jalapeño, chicken and shrimp sausage is one of our favorites. I take an ice chest with me anytime I'm in Tulsa and go out of my way to stop there. (Hebert's de-boned, stuffed chicken is worth its own conversation....)
    Last edited by positano; 09-23-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo

+1 for siegis and loveras

Anyone have a recommendation for the best brisket in town at a sit down inside place? I owe the wife a date soon and we both love a good brisket.

I think Iron Starr has great bbq. They have a "Club" sandwich which has brisket, turkey, bacon, 2 types of cheese with bbq sauce on texas toast which is my favorite sandwich in the metro. Its sit down, full bar and great atmosphere IMO. Lots of other bbq selections as well.

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for the best brisket in town at a sit down inside place? I owe the wife a date soon and we both love a good brisket.
    Texlahoma BBQ

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Called and placed a togo order with The Butcher BBQ Stand at 11am on Sat. to bring home for the Bedlam game we were watching at a neighbor's.

Very quick drive there and back. The staff was very friendly and when we got there around 1pm it was packed.

I could have just sat back on the couch with a pound of burnt ends and been perfectly happy. But, everything was excellent; ribs, beans, mac & cheese and burnt ends.

To me this is a far better 'destination eatery' to take friends than say Eischens (weather depending).

Great recommendation. Dined at Texlahoma BBQ for the first time today. Everyone enjoyed it! The brisket was so tender and the sauce complemented rather than overwhelmed the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by harp23 View Post
    I think Iron Starr has great bbq. They have a "Club" sandwich which has brisket, turkey, bacon, 2 types of cheese with bbq sauce on texas toast which is my favorite sandwich in the metro. Its sit down, full bar and great atmosphere IMO. Lots of other bbq selections as well.
    Iron Starr is kind of in its own category. Pretty awesome for the Good Egg people to basically create a whole new category of restaurant in upscale BBQ. How do you compare Iron Starr with someplace like Leo's or George's? They're trying to do different things.

All that said, Rudy's is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine in that it is a chain with out of state roots. Their stuff is just damned good.

15. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Iron Starr is kind of in its own category. Pretty awesome for the Good Egg people to basically create a whole new category of restaurant in upscale BBQ. How do you compare Iron Starr with someplace like Leo's or George's? They're trying to do different things.

All that said, Rudy's is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine in that it is a chain with out of state roots. Their stuff is just damned good.

We have been eating at Rays Smokehouse BBQ in Norman a lot lately. We have never had a bad meal there. The owner is a former OU football player. Love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Pretty awesome for the Good Egg people to basically create a whole new category of restaurant in upscale BBQ.
    Create it HERE, maybe, but they're hardly the first to come up with the concept. Lambert's in Austin, Jack Stack in Kansas City, Pig and Pearl in Atlanta, Edley's in Nashville. All promote themselves as "upscale" in one way or another, to varying degrees. Every so often someone comes up with the idea "Hey, why don't we have a BBQ place with fancy plates and white tablecloths and cloth napkins and real silverware!". The white tablecloths generally don't really stick around that long for obvious reasons. As much as a BBQ brunch piques my interest, I'm of the "the soot on the walls is what's holding this place up" camp.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    We have been eating at Rays Smokehouse BBQ in Norman a lot lately. We have never had a bad meal there. The owner is a former OU football player. Love that place.
    Ray’s is great. Glad they have hung on with the Lindsey reconstruction.

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Ray’s is great. Glad they have hung on with the Lindsey reconstruction.
    Was there for dinner a few weeks ago on a Tuesday and they were very busy.

so... a few months ago i struggled to find some decent sausages to bring to a family reunion and so that motivated me to learn some new tricks. it's taken a bit of trial and error but i think i've put out some pretty decent sausage... this is some andouille that i smoked last night. i started with a pork shoulder and ground that together with some additional pork fat. i then added spices and curing salt, stuffed the casings and let the flavors meld for a couple days before throwing it on the smoker.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andouille.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	14380  

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

That looks fantastic!

I've wanted to get into sausage making but just don't have the space to store the equipment.

21. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I'll give you a heads up on how to get your hands on some cheap pork shoulder if you don't mind driving to Shawnee.

March 24th and 25th is the Fire Lake BBQ cookoff and the Fire Lake grocery store always has a big sale that weekend. Last two years I have gotten shoulders for $0.89 a lb. I bought 6 last year and I've never seen a sign posting a limit on them.

^^^^ This store also carries Little Pig BBQ sauce in convenient 18 oz size. As it is vinegar based it goes well with pork.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    That looks fantastic!

I've wanted to get into sausage making but just don't have the space to store the equipment.
    thanks! you're not kidding... it takes a few pieces of specialized equipment. a co-worker gave me the grinder... in exchange for some of what i make with it, of course. i'm using what amounts to a caulk gun to do the stuffing. it all takes up a bit of space.

March 24th and 25th is the Fire Lake BBQ cookoff and the Fire Lake grocery store always has a big sale that weekend. Last two years I have gotten shoulders for $0.89 a lb. I bought 6 last year and I've never seen a sign posting a limit on them.
    that's a really good price, i might have to run over there... i want to say that i gave around $1.39 a pound at chef's store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    ^^^^ This store also carries Little Pig BBQ sauce in convenient 18 oz size. As it is vinegar based it goes well with pork.
    i swear i've seen this in the metro... but maybe it was years ago. i'll keep an eye out next time i'm at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i swear i've seen this in the metro... but maybe it was years ago. i'll keep an eye out next time i'm at the grocery store.
    CREST carries it in gallon jugs, but I have not seen it locally in the 18 oz. size. BTW, that is some good looking sausage you made. So where do you live?

Thread Information