Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Yeah the tax bill just to keep J Dub, Chet and SGA alone will be enormous. Not to mention the prodigal son that wears #35 has been making it very clear he wants to return and retire here.
    And the league will likely be expanded by that point, so the salary cap will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    An owner that brings in significantly more in revenue and tourism for that building than anything else would.
    I wasn't completely bashing it. I 1,000% get why they have that influence. But still, in any other arena (pun intended), a 5% owner trying to flex their muscle would be ridiculed and laughed out of the boardroom.

But I get it. It is being built for an anchor tenant, so they can make demands, as long as they do their part when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    The New Arena deal passed 7-2. Both Nikki Nice and JoBeth Hammon voted No on this arena deal.
    LOL. The vote already passed...their role in stopping it has ended. Where the hell else do they want to put it? They trying to spend more money that they didn’t want to spend in the first place to put it somewhere else on a tract that makes less sense and/or isn't owned by the city?

That's just the most unproductive/spiteful type of politics lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In any event, it will be nice to have the arena substantially completed when OKC is on the international stage the summer of 2028.

I said from the beginning that we'll see several projects rush to meet that hard deadline for various reasons, mostly to put our city in the best possible light.
    And the Thunder care about optics also. The building will be mostly done at that point if they target 2028. The NBA cares about the Olympics due to Team USA. It's not the only reason, but you can bet they are telling city leadership all the reasons it is in their best interest to get it built as fast as they can.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

My hope is that OKC will build an arena that will prioritize accommodations for NBA specifications as well as large gatherings associated with the new convention center. An arena with 18,500 permanent fixed seats capable of hosting 19,500 for NBA basketball. Thunder promised to have some affordable seats for all.

Build the suits above the lower level and upper deck. Lodge boxes can be built on the lower level.

If our city were to take the aggressive approach and bring back the 10,000 attendee FFA state convention (currently in Tulsa) and offer 'free rent' for long-term commitments for conventions; there just might be a way to utilize the new arena and the Paycom Center before making the decision to demolish the Paycom Center.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    An owner that brings in significantly more in revenue and tourism for that building than anything else would.
    I would love to see the numbers on that, especially once the concerts and other events start rolling in to this new arena.

Anyways, glad to see that regional transit is being incorporated into this, wonder what this means for the light rail.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I wasn't completely bashing it. I 1,000% get why they have that influence. But still, in any other arena (pun intended), a 5% owner trying to flex their muscle would be ridiculed and laughed out of the boardroom.

But I get it. It is being built for an anchor tenant, so they can make demands, as long as they do their part when the time comes.
    the team is the 0% owner of the building ..

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    before making the decision to demolish the Paycom Center.
    that decision has already been made

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the team is the 0% owner of the building ..
    True, and that's why IMO we (OKC) need to build an arena with more seating if you want it to be loud and intimating.

Aware of the recent trend with smaller capacities like Milwaukee Fiserv Forum (17,385), San Francisco Chase Center (18,064) and Los Angeles Clipper's Intuit Dome (18,000); make our new arena a larger version of 'LOUD CITY.'

A larger capacity will allow OKC to bid on more events outside the NBA like NCAA sporting events (Basketball regionals, Gymnastics, Volleyball.) BTW do we still have the indoor track built with the Myriad or is it obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    True, and that's why IMO we (OKC) need to build an arena with more seating if you want it to be loud and intimating.

Aware of the recent trend with smaller capacities like Milwaukee Fiserv Forum (17,385), San Francisco Chase Center (18,064) and Los Angeles Clipper's Intuit Dome (18,000); make our new arena a larger version of 'LOUD CITY.'

A larger capacity will allow OKC to bid on more events outside the NBA like NCAA sporting events (Basketball regionals, Gymnastics, Volleyball.) BTW do we still have the indoor track built with the Myriad or is it obsolete?
    I’d wouldn’t be surprised if the capacity is about the same as Paycom

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Yeah, I think 18,500 would be the most. Newer arenas (and NFL stadiums) are putting in less seats compared to older venues, which can increase demand and also they are putting in higher priced seating options (court levels, club levels, party levels, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Yeah I hope the capacity is not much, if any, higher. Add more space, make it more comfortable, add some cool stuff like the clippers did to make it unique, but keep the capacity about the same. It doesn’t need to be a 20k seat arena.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah I hope the capacity is not much, if any, higher. Add more space, make it more comfortable, add some cool stuff like the clippers did to make it unique, but keep the capacity about the same. It doesn’t need to be a 20k seat arena.
    I want the Clippers new arena to 150% be the arena model the city uses.

14. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    i would love to see the numbers on that, especially once the concerts and other events start rolling in to this new arena.

Anyways, glad to see that regional transit is being incorporated into this, wonder what this means for the light rail.
    rabbit hole alert! Rabbit hole alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I hope they take aspects of the Clippers, Pacers, Bucks and Pistons arena and we’re golden.

16. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    As long as we’re talking percentages we should talk about the fact that Intuit Dome was built for 222% of the base budget of the new OKC arena.

Blog Entries

Broke ground - September 17, 2021 - Construction cost $2 billion

Not a fan of this design for an arena in OKC (looks like a pill bug); however, I'm sure it is a perfect fit for California. This arena as Urbanized points out is 222% ($2 billion) compared to our arena budget of $900 million. Look for the new OKC downtown arena to be just as competitive as the Intuit Dome.

Welcome to Thunderdome . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    As long as we’re talking percentages we should talk about the fact that Intuit Dome was built for 222% of the base budget of the new OKC arena.
    Don’t worry, I’ll go through my pockets to find the difference.

I wouldn't care what it looked like, if I wasn't paying. If the Clippers owner wants that gaudy thing, it's his money.

Anybody know how much of the Clippers new arena cost is for land acquisition? That has to be a significant portion of the cost, right? OKC is essentially saving money by utilizing land they already own.

Quote Originally Posted by smitteebc View Post
    Anybody know how much of the Clippers new arena cost is for land acquisition? That has to be a significant portion of the cost, right? OKC is essentially saving money by utilizing land they already own.
    The land cost was 'only' about $66 million.

One of the biggest costs is making the entire facility 100% carbon neutral.

22. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

OKC may be free but there is a structure on the site that needs to be removed. Probably not overall cost in OKC's favor by comparison; unless they can knock the myriad down by a few $10 million.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

He also had to buy The Forum for $400MM to end the lawsuit with MSG/ James Dolan. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/c...square-garden/

Ours and LA's aren't really comparable for a multitude of reasons.

There's also tons of stories floating around about Ballmer visiting the site 2-3X a week, and making changes he wants to the original plan. That obviously incurs large and consistent change orders. The guy is worth $125 BILLION. $2.2 or $2.3 or $2.4 for his new arena is a rounding error. It's a fun hobby to him.

Here's some more on Clips. It's pretty fascinating what Ballmer is doing. OKC just isn't in a position to do it. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co.../19/facilities

Thread Information