Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 217 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373883133 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

I like option 1 if it just HAS to be on that site. But razing the entire Cox CC would be a hairy transition period.

Where would the Barons go? How about all the people who park underneath? I hope alternatives could be found, but I can see these questions [unfortunately] causing them to put this setup on the bottom of the choices.

My hope is that any effort to demolish a portion of the Cox Convention Center to make way for the new hotel will take into account the future possibility of complete demolition of the Cox Center for redevelopment. I agree with the comments regarding the waning need for two arenas and this "superblock" is prime real estate.

Please take a look at the concept created by the OU School of Architecture's OKC Studio a couple of years ago. They proposed restoring the street grid in hopes of spurring four blocks of mixed use development in between the CBD, future intermodal hub, Myriad Gardens and CHK Arena. Broadway would be a vehicular street with two lanes and parallel parking while California Ave. would act as a pedestrian-only thoroughfare linking Bricktown (via the Santa Fe station) to the Myriad Gardens. If OKC ever has a chance at an upscale retailer downtown, this concept would provide its best opportunity.

It would be fairly easy to incorporate the convention center hotel into the SW block of the redeveloped Cox Site. Visitors could arrive via train to the intermodal hub and enjoy shopping and restaurants within the 4 block vicinity.

In my opinion, it would be a mistake for a new convention center hotel to be arranged on the existing Cox site in a way that prevents the future restoration of California Ave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cox Site Re-Design.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	3550

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Say what you want but we all know the ultimate outcome.

Convention center design awaits decision on conference hotel site | News OK

Heck, one plan (option 1) has them tearing down the meeting space at Cox before the new convention center is even open. Even the argument for keep the arena itself is on shaky ground because they are using old assumptions from the Big XII that no longer apply.
    that was actually option/scheme 3 not 1 ..

Completely agree, this would also allow for the Convention Center hotel to gain a little more height

Quote Originally Posted by huskysooner View Post
    My hope is that any effort to demolish a portion of the Cox Convention Center to make way for the new hotel will take into account the future possibility of complete demolition of the Cox Center for redevelopment. I agree with the comments regarding the waning need for two arenas and this "superblock" is prime real estate.

Please take a look at the concept created by the OU School of Architecture's OKC Studio a couple of years ago. They proposed restoring the street grid in hopes of spurring four blocks of mixed use development in between the CBD, future intermodal hub, Myriad Gardens and CHK Arena. Broadway would be a vehicular street with two lanes and parallel parking while California Ave. would act as a pedestrian-only thoroughfare linking Bricktown (via the Santa Fe station) to the Myriad Gardens. If OKC ever has a chance at an upscale retailer downtown, this concept would provide its best opportunity.

It would be fairly easy to incorporate the convention center hotel into the SW block of the redeveloped Cox Site. Visitors could arrive via train to the intermodal hub and enjoy shopping and restaurants within the 4 block vicinity.

In my opinion, it would be a mistake for a new convention center hotel to be arranged on the existing Cox site in a way that prevents the future restoration of California Ave.

Maybe at the new intersection of Broadway and California they could put it some kind of small traffic circle with a decorative feature in the middle and call it Cox Circle and the 4 block area would just become known as the Cox District or something. Naming places helps build a sense of place. Retail options would be off the chart. Putting back in the grid will create a mile of new street frontage.

Also, such a solution may circumvent the fact that MAPS3 funds cannot be used to purchase land for the hotel - the city already owns the land underneath the Cox Center. The opportunity to develop an entire block or multi-block area with a large hotel might be more attractve for a national real estate developer (Hines, Forest City, Trammell Crow, etc.) than simply taking on the hotel alone.

Great posts, huskysooner!

Here is a full-sized version of the OU proposal and this concept is more important than ever with the soon-to-be multi-modal Santa Fe station.

They could easily put the hotel on the SW corner of the Cox property, reopen California and break up that awful super-block.

Also, such a solution may circumvent the fact that MAPS3 funds cannot be used to purchase land for the hotel - the city already owns the land underneath the Cox Center. The opportunity to develop an entire block or multi-block area with a large hotel might be more attractve for a national real estate developer (Hines, Forest City, Trammell Crow, etc.) than simply taking on the hotel alone.
    the statemnet that maps 3 funds can't be used to buy CC hotel land is simply untrue ... maps 3 funds can be used for any city capital project ... and i would bet the voters would view a CC hotel as part of the CC project in any regard so i don't think it would even violate the spirit of the maps 3 vote (with the list of projects passed by council resolution)

HangryHippo Guest

This is a wonderful idea and I would fully support it as it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, this means OKC will not even begin to consider such designs.

Not only that, but there would be 3 new blocks the city could sell that would raise some funds for the CC - or at least attract some serious development.

Not only that, but there would be 3 new blocks the city could sell that would raise some funds for the CC - or at least attract some serious development.
    I was thinking the same thing. If the city plays it right, there could be a big win-win here. Give that part to the hotel developer as incentive and sell off the rest for redevelopment.

If there ever would be a great place to build up retail with new construction, that is it. It would be equally accessible from the CBD and Convention Center / Arena, as well as into the Bricktown and Deep Deuce Areas. It would also be right in the middle of all the largest hotels downtown, so between the work day labor force, event / game attendees, tourists, conventioneers, and downtown residences, a block of shops and restaurants where Broadway would go to Reno shouldn't have any trouble having traffic counts that appeal to retailers.

...and direct access to streetcar and regional rail.

...and direct access to streetcar and regional rail.
    yep. The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that such a move is as about as close to a slam dunk as you can get. It would not only undue the damage done by creating another superblock, but actually be the final piece needed to make downtown a fully rounded urban district. It's certainly something into which I would put money, given the opportunity.

This might seem like a little question in the grand scheme of things, but where would the Barons play if there was no more CCC? Plan to play home games when the Thunder are away? Maybe the state fairgrounds arena?

They would play at the Chesapeake Arena. It only takes a couple of hours to switch over. Dozens of teams in the NBA and NHL share arenas (and some share with 3 teams). The Thunder can play at 3PM on Saturday and the Barons can play that night.

They would play at the Chesapeake Arena. It only takes a couple of hours to switch over. Dozens of teams in the NBA and NHL share arenas (and some share with 3 teams). The Thunder can play at 3PM on Saturday and the Barons can play that night.

more likely the cox site is the site for the new downtown arena coming soon to OKC (2030 at the latest)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    more likely the cox site is the site for the new downtown arena coming soon to OKC (2030 at the latest)
    I'll bet that would go south of the current arena or maybe even on the Bricktown Events site if it is still a surface parking lot in 2030. The Cox site won't sit unused until 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    This might seem like a little question in the grand scheme of things, but where would the Barons play if there was no more CCC? Plan to play home games when the Thunder are away? Maybe the state fairgrounds arena?
    depends upon cost of a contract to play there... if the cheasapeake arena is willing to work with them on a price... then yes, it will be there. the houston rockets and the AHL Houston Aeros share a stadium, the Spurs and the AHL Rampage share... so we could as well, as long as the contract works. I still think there is a need for a cheaper arena in this city as well, and i think it should be at the fairgrounds. the arena there now is really in bad shape when you get to looking at it, and so i'm not sure if renovation is the right move, or as i have said before, perhaps this is something for MAPS IV is a demo and rebuilding of the fairgrounds arena. it's about the right size, just an awkward configuration, and needs some massive renovations and amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    depends upon cost of a contract to play there... if the cheasapeake arena is willing to work with them on a price... then yes, it will be there. the houston rockets and the AHL Houston Aeros share a stadium, the Spurs and the AHL Rampage share... so we could as well, as long as the contract works. I still think there is a need for a cheaper arena in this city as well, and i think it should be at the fairgrounds. the arena there now is really in bad shape when you get to looking at it, and so i'm not sure if renovation is the right move, or as i have said before, perhaps this is something for MAPS IV is a demo and rebuilding of the fairgrounds arena. it's about the right size, just an awkward configuration, and needs some massive renovations and amenities.
    I am curious what the funds for the fairgrounds from MAPS 3 are going to be used for. Could they use $5 million to do a nice upgrade to it? Would that be enough? Too little? Would it take too much away from a new expo building? Lots of questions...

Attaching the CC hotel to the CC sounds convenient, but it looks like it would "cut off" downtown from the central park. Almost like a wall. I'm no expert on this stuff but thats how I see it. It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    The Barons only average about 4k a game. I'm not saying a new arena at the fairgrounds is a bad idea, but I wouldn't pay for it just for the Barons. Given that the Cox arena is no looker, I doubt the state fair arena would be much of a difference. However, I am not sure what it can be configured for.

Ultimately, I don't think the Barons are a good enough reason on their own to not tear down the Cox Center. If there was a good plan to redevelop that land for a convention hotel and urban retail district and tearing down the arena meant the departure of the Barons, well, I wouldn't have much problem with that.

I'll bet that would go south of the current arena or maybe even on the Bricktown Events site if it is still a surface parking lot in 2030. The Cox site won't sit unused until 2030.
    IMO the new arena will be completed by 2030 maps 5 vote around 2024 the new CC won't be finished until 2020ish thus the cox site would only "sit unused" for 4 years and in reality it would still be used during that time period

The BEC location would be very cool. It would create a nice little sports complex.

The only bad part is that it would put Bass Pro in its front yard.

Thread Information