Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

I'm sure they would have liked another entrance/exit on Western closer to the turnpike but there is a drainage issue in that area.

2. Default Re: Costco

Actually, I missed that down on the far right (east) there may be access to that cul-de-sac.

I know they all look like this, but dang they are ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I know they all look like this, but dang they are ugly.
    Actually, this one is entirely metal for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Actually, this one is entirely metal for some reason.
    Is it just because okc doesn’t have strict requirement or do companies just cheap out on oklahoma? Seems to be the case with a lot of stores that come here. You go down to dallas and the same stores have much nicer buildings they have built.

Every Costco I've seen, ever, has been metal and concrete, exactly like this one. They were born in an airplane hanger. They are known for being functional, NOT fancy. Just wait until you guys see their entrance and exit are actually just huge roll-up doors. You'll lose your dang minds, but trust me, it isn't personal. Just walk into any other Costco, anywhere.

8. Default Re: Costco

Here's the Costco in central Dallas. Yup, it's metal:

9. Default Re: Costco

Here's Wichita:

10. Default Re: Costco

For the record, it looks like many of the older stores were a variety of materials (possibly dictated by locale) but it looks like the newest ones are mostly using this uniform look.

Pete does this mean it's a go? When do they start construction?

Blog Entries

Tulsa's is mostly concrete block. Still ugly.

I’ll jump in on the bandwagon. Whew! That’s ugly. Memorial can only contain so many giant beige boxes.

But they all basically are ugly boxes. In Oregon? Big ugly boxes. Costco does things their way. I know, I know, everyone on here wants to think it is because OKC sucks at everything, but in this case, it's not their fault.

15. Default Re: Costco

Yeah I don’t at all disagree that it’s ugly. Just pointing out that in this case the blame for ugly mostly lies with Costco, and they are building it no differently here than in pretty much any city where they have put one recently. There are basically very few design controls in this part of the city - mostly related to code and landscaping requirements - and you can make an argument that there shouldn’t be much more than that in an area where most places are drive-to destinations in large seas of parking lots, and their finish does little to interfere with or diminish the value of its neighbors. Costco of course - by nature of its brand - will have quite the opposite effect.

I’m much more surprised at the Dallas location, which is near the center of town. If this were located in downtown OKC it would look very different.

Just wanted to dispel the oft-repeated narrative that we are doing things worse than (or even appreciably different from) other cities. If there had been a big design kerfuffle here which had killed the project the amount of complaining and caterwauling that we can’t get retail like other cities - and when we get a chance we run it off - would have been deafening.

Do we want Costco, or do we not? Well, if we do, that’s what a Costco apparently looks like these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Just wanted to dispel the oft-repeated narrative that we are doing things worse than (or even appreciably different from) other cities. If there had been a big design kerfuffle here which had killed the project the amount of complaining and caterwauling that we can’t get retail like other cities - and when we get a chance we run it off - would have been deafening.

Do we want Costco, or do we not? Well, if we do, that’s what a Costco apparently looks like these days.
    Nothing to add, just thought it was worth repeating. The "waaa waaa, OKC gets the hind teat" BS needs to be saved for another day.

17. Default Re: Costco

^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Is it just because okc doesn’t have strict requirement or do companies just cheap out on oklahoma? Seems to be the case with a lot of stores that come here. You go down to dallas and the same stores have much nicer buildings they have built.
    I think it's mostly the former. Costco stores are mostly ugly big boxes unless they are in an area where zoning requires them to build it differently.

I can't wait for this to get built, open and then I never have to see another Costco thread on here again. Just like Dave and Busters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I can't wait for this to get built, open and then I never have to see another Costco thread on here again. Just like Dave and Busters.
    What about a south side Costco? Norman?

I just can't wait to go buy my Kirkland ________________ (fill-in the blank).

Don't hold your breath... I think it can happen eventually but Costco seems very slow and determinate in their expansions. The one in Tulsa is over 2 years old, and as far as I know there's not another one on the horizon. So if it follows the time scale, another location is a few years out. I could see Norman/S. OKC supporting one very well though.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Totally worked for Trader Joe's, nobody ever discusses that now!

Come to think of it, I've seen a couple Costco food courts on the outer wall, people can just walk up and order food without entering the store, no membership required, at least not asked for, and has some outside tables and chairs to sit and eat. I was in a Tucson AZ about 2 months ago and it was like this. I can't remember where I saw the other. They have a Cole slaw topped BBQ beef sandwich that I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Come to think of it, I've seen a couple Costco food courts on the outer wall, people can just walk up and order food without entering the store, no membership required, at least not asked for, and has some outside tables and chairs to sit and eat. I was in a Tucson AZ about 2 months ago and it was like this. I can't remember where I saw the other. They have a Cole slaw topped BBQ beef sandwich that I really like.
    They have some like that in California due to the nice weather.

25. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Is there an artist rendering or a photograph of a COSTCO that is considered "attractive?" I agree witb the majority on here that thay are big, dull warehouse -looking stores. All of them here in CO are.

Thread Information