Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    the last few times i've bought beef short ribs was at wheeler's... they typically keep individually sliced ribs on display in the case, but they have slabs in cryovac in back that they're usually willing to grab for you.

i've also checked with rogers meat market (*really* liked their hot links) and they say that they carry them... but i haven't actually bought from them.

as for artisan's pride... i really like the place... the staff seem really knowledgeable and eager to help. besides the place being a bit out of the way for me, especially with lindsey all torn up... i didn't really think the quality of the steak was worth the trouble. the last couple steaks i purchased from them i kind of felt that i could've gotten similar quality from crest's meat counter.
    Were the ones from Wheeler's plate or back ribs? Could have sworn I inquired about them there and was told no but that was also 5+ years ago.

Pretty much my same assessment on Artisan's Pride.... I shop there more for the service they give me.... They also have a loyalty program.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Were the ones from Wheeler's plate or back ribs? Could have sworn I inquired about them there and was told no but that was also 5+ years ago.
    they were plate ribs but they'll probably shrug their shoulders if you call them that (i made this 'mistake' the first time i tried asking for them there)... the packaging says short ribs and that's what they know them as.

just to make sure we're saying the same thing... when i think of beef 'back' ribs, i'm picturing the ribs cut away from the rib roast. these are usually cut pretty close to the bone so most of the meat is between the ribs. definitely not these.

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

they were plate ribs but they'll probably shrug their shoulders if you call them that (i made this 'mistake' the first time i tried asking for them there)... the packaging says short ribs and that's what they know them as.

just to make sure we're saying the same thing... when i think of beef 'back' ribs, i'm picturing the ribs cut away from the rib roast. these are usually cut pretty close to the bone so most of the meat is between the ribs. definitely not these.
    Yep, I believe we are on the same page.... Back ribs have more of the meat between the bones and plate short ribs is on top of the bone.

I think there is actually a 3rd cut for beef ribs, which is what Artisan's Pride may be selling, but I don't remember the technical name for it...... Beef and Pork names are way more difficult and confusing than they probably ever needed to be. It can definitely be intimidating to the novice asking for less popular cuts.

Crest in Norman has beef short ribs that are pretty tasty on the smoker. They were labeled choice and were $5.98 a pound.

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    Crest in Norman has beef short ribs that are pretty tasty on the smoker. They were labeled choice and were $5.98 a pound.
    I've seen slabs of back ribs and individual short ribs at Crest but never slabs of short ribs? Was it a slab with 4 bones or 8 bones?

When I went to their primal meat sale they looked at me like I was talking about unicorns or something when I asked if they had plate short ribs... Then I asked if they had back ribs and they said "We have baby back ribs." and I responded "Wrong animal but thanks.".

6. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I've seen slabs of back ribs and individual short ribs at Crest but never slabs of short ribs? Was it a slab with 4 bones or 8 bones?

When I went to their primal meat sale they looked at me like I was talking about unicorns or something when I asked if they had plate short ribs... Then I asked if they had back ribs and they said "We have baby back ribs." and I responded "Wrong animal but thanks.".
    I also asked at Crest and was told only pork ribs?

I think there is actually a 3rd cut for beef ribs, which is what Artisan's Pride may be selling, but I don't remember the technical name for it...... Beef and Pork names are way more difficult and confusing than they probably ever needed to be. It can definitely be intimidating to the novice asking for less popular cuts.
    completely agree... it's way more complicated than it needs to be. when i first tried my hand at beef short ribs around a year ago, i thought i could cut through the madness by using the usda numbered designation for the cut, '123a' to help with the process. the expression of the manager at wheeler's looked like i was trying to order wildebeast or something.

i don't know of a 3rd cut of beef ribs... 'back' and 'short' are all that i know of... though, i understand that 'short' can come from any of three sections... plate, rib, or chuck... so maybe it has something to do with that.

i do know of a 3rd type of pork rib that i'd like to try out... belly ribs... but it's hard enough finding boneless pork belly, so i'm not too optimistic about getting my hands on some.

8. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

completely... when i first tried my hand at beef short ribs around a year ago, i thought i could cut through the madness by using the usda numbered designation for the cut, '123a' to help with the process. the expression of the manager at wheeler's looked like i was trying to order wildebeast or something.

i don't know of a 3rd cut of beef ribs... 'back' and 'short' are all that i know of... though, i understand that 'short' can come from any of three sections... plate, rib, or chuck... so maybe it has something to do with that.

i do know of a 3rd type of pork rib that i'd like to try out... belly ribs... but it's hard enough finding boneless pork belly, so i'm not too optimistic about getting my hands on some.
    LOL.... Yeah... I don't even attempt to use the numbers of cuts.... It's like asking for brisket sliced from the deckle at most Q-raunts around here... They don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Yeah... I think that's where I got that there was a 3rd cut because the short can come from multiple places... I believe the ones from Artisan Pride are from the chuck is what they told me.

Artisan's Pride has pork belly.... Prior to them carrying it the only place I could find it was Super Cao Nguyen.... I've never asked them if they can get a belly with the ribs still attached.

It was individual cut ribs not slabs. 4 ribs or so to a package. I've bought it 3 times or so from Crest. It wasn't at the meat counter but was beside the packaged hamburger and ox tail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170413_224648.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	13921  

10. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    It was individual cut ribs not slabs. 4 ribs or so to a package. I've bought it 3 times or so from Crest. It wasn't at the meat counter but was beside the packaged hamburger and ox tail
    Thanks.... I've seen those and that's why I thought they might sell them by the slab if I asked but it just confused them.

I get 3 bone beef ribs from Sams on Memorial, every time I ask for beef ribs they point me to the pre cut short ribs used for stews. I always have to show them this picture to prove I got it from there, then all of a sudden he goes to the freezer and pulls out the uncut slab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	13922

It's a process but well worth it in the end.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	13923
    Last edited by loveOKC; 06-14-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: adjusting image

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    I get 3 bone beef ribs from Sams on Memorial, every time I ask for beef ribs they point me to the pre cut short ribs used for stews. I always have to show them this picture to prove I got it from there, then all of a sudden he goes to the freezer and pulls out the uncut slab.
    Nice job. That rib looks gorgeous.

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	13922

It's a process but well worth it in the end.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	13923
    I'm going to steal your picture and use to to get some from them haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'm going to steal your picture and use to to get some from them haha.
    Do it, if enough of us do it they will finally understand.

2Lanez Guest

Wow. That rib picture is making me hungry.

finally went up to wellston this past weekend to check out butcher bbq stand...

tried a little bit of everything with the 'meat locker' and added burnt ends to it.

surprisingly, the weakest item (in my opinion, of course) was the ribs... maybe i got an 'off' batch, but what i had was dry and overcooked. on top of that, the flavors didn't do anything for me. i've had better ribs from the average barbecue joint. really disappointed here.

the pulled pork was moist and flavorful but overprocessed... to steal a term of art, it was 'bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated'

they serve something i've never seen elsewhere... 'chick-q nuggets'... basically chicken breast that has been smoked and cut into nugget-sized pieces. they weren't 'bad' but thought that the chicken was overcooked just a little. while the smoke flavor was just right, i really wanted more spice to them. from the menu description, i thought they'd be bathing in some kind of sauce... i will say that i'm glad they weren't served like that.

the smoked sausages and hot links were pretty standard... but i'd say that they were using a better grade of sausage than the average joint.

i think the best of the bunch was the brisket and the burnt ends. the menu describes the burnt ends as 'meat candy' and they were just that. some places drench their burnt ends in bbq sauce and that wasn't the case here. the meat was cubed and was really beefy, smoky, fatty, and succulent. very tasty. the brisket was interesting. it was moist and tender with plenty of smoky flavor... the brisket at many places comes out like glorified roast beef. what was different here is that there was a clear taste of what i can best describe as beef bouillion/french onion soup mix... as if the brisket were brined or injected with it... i don't think i've had a brisket anywhere else with quite that flavor. i won't say it's my favorite brisket ever but i liked the flavor and appreciated its uniqueness.

the sides were pretty standard... not bad but not amazing. mac and cheese was better than the thin velveeta sauce served at many places but was still in the upper middle of the pack of places that i've tried. potato salad was decent but could have easily been straight out of a grocery's refrigerator case. beans were interested... it tasted like the standard canned beans but it had what tasted like apple sauce added to it. i liked the flavor combination but the beans themselves were a bit overcooked/mushy.

overall, i'm glad i visited... and i do think that this place is a better version of the average bbq place in the city.

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

the pulled pork was moist and flavorful but overprocessed... to steal a term of art, it was 'bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated'
    LOL... It's chopped, folded, spindled, and mutilated..... Unless they managed to come up with a new method I haven't seen yet.

I haven't been out there since October of last year but sounds like they may have changed their pork a bit... I remember it being more like pulled pork.

In regards to their brisket. Butcher BBQ's injections and rubs are one of the top brands on the competition circuit and they are using them on their briskets. I don't think they use it to the strength that a lot of competition cooks do but you can still taste it on their brisket.... It's why I sometimes refer to brisket I'm served at competitions as tasting more like a science experiment than brisket because all you taste is the phosphates and other flavor enhancers they are using to try and get than one perfect bite..... Think of that flavor amped up 100%-200% and you'll know what competition brisket tastes like.....and also why most judges will tell you they wouldn't want to eat it every day.

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Took a long lunch and made the drive from downtown OKC to north Edmond and finally tried Texlahoma BBQ today.... They are knocking it out of the park in the brisket and rib category.

When we hit them on the Rib Tour in 2016 the ribs weren't quite done and were a little tough but today they were almost perfect and the flavor is great today.... Simple salt and cracked pepper with a slightly sweet glaze and the flavor and texture on the brisket was excellent as well.... Definitely not your typical Central Oklahoma BBQ being served up here..... They also have a very unique flavor profile working in their sauce. I think it tastes like Big Red soda.

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	462.7 KB 
ID:	13955

Name:	IMG_0174.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	13956

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	448.5 KB 
ID:	13957

barbecue looks great... but 'instant mashed potato' potato salad is pretty much the worst kind of potato salad.

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

barbecue looks great... but 'instant mashed potato' potato salad is pretty much the worst kind of potato salad.
    The Q was really good... Texlahoma, Butcher, Maple's, and The Flying Pig have definitely raised the bar on good BBQ in Central Oklahoma the last couple of years.

Don't know that these were instant potatoes but I agree. I'm not a fan of this style of potato salad.... The okra was excellent... really crispy without being burnt and the okra was still tender and not mushy... Also tasted like they seasoned it with something other than just salt.

yeah... the okra does look good. that's my least favorite style of potato salad by a wide margin... i think there should at least be some illusion of potato chunks. but then again, i might be a little cranky because i only ate at taco bell for lunch!

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

but then again, i might be a little cranky because i only ate at taco bell for lunch!
    HAHA..... I totally understand! Hope dinner treats your better.

Hit Texlahoma on the way home from a half day at work yesterday. Bought a lb of brisket and a slab of ribs. I am usually not that big of a brisket fan, preferring ribs most any day, but wow was this brisket good. I have had BBQ from all over the state, Burn Co, Backyard, Maples etc, have even turned out some good brisket from my Primo, but I dunno if they just nailed this particular brisket or what, but none of the other places have even been close to this good.

The ribs were quite good also, I would put them right along side of Steve's Rib(when they're on I used to consider them the gold standard), but the star of the show was definitely the brisket. Wish like hell I would have got one of the beef ribs they were selling yesterday but I'll probably try one of them next weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Hit Texlahoma on the way home from a half day at work yesterday. .
    Not familiar with Texlahoma. Where is it located?

In the strip center on the NE corner of Waterloo and Broadway in far north Edmond.

Thread Information