Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 93 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363782 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Midtown

Bbates, do you ever take pictures of women indoors? Just kidding.
    I'm no runner, but it sure looks like y'all had a fun time, and for a good cause.

The light fixtures for the parking lot look hideous, not sure about the building

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The light fixtures for the parking lot look hideous, not sure about the building
    Yes. The parking lot lights are bad...

I like the lights on the building but they belong on an art deco style or minimalist design. Those lights are the wrong lights for THAT style building. But the pictures I have seen of the interior are Very good. I just wish they got the exterior lights right.
    The new Beasley did a decent job inside but again they put the wrong period exterior doors on that building (between classen and shartel on 13th)

5. Default Re: Midtown

Oh how I miss Hideaway Pizza...

6. Default Re: Midtown

Anyone else here participate in today's first annual McNellie's Pub Run (benefitting officer Chad Perry) in Midtown?

Myself and several friends were there. Great event, great weather and all in a great part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Anyone else here participate in today's first annual McNellie's Pub Run (benefitting officer Chad Perry) in Midtown?

Myself and several friends were there. Great event, great weather and all in a great part of town.
    Yeah, a group of friends and I ran the pub run. Had a fun time. Great scenic run. The post run social was great outside of McNellie's.

I've seen some pics from some friends that went to Dust Bowl before it opened, looks great. It also appears it makes up for in the areas that redpin lacks, coolness. But that's what Tulsa does, totally outdo okc in the nightlife arena.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I've seen some pics from some friends that went to Dust Bowl before it opened, looks great. It also appears it makes up for in the areas that redpin lacks, coolness. But that's what Tulsa does, totally outdo okc in the nightlife arena.
    Typical Tulsa troll..............drinking to much of the Tulsa koolaid, LOL.

I live in OKC and love it's development, but downtown Tulsa is so much cooler than OKC. It's not even close. THere is a way better entertainment/bar scene. I hope OKC can catch up...

11. Default Re: Midtown

Completely lacking. I hate OKC, Tulsa is so much better. It has trees.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Typical Tulsa troll..............drinking to much of the Tulsa koolaid, LOL.
    No troll, you'd know that if you've read most of my posts. Lived in okc area all my life but Tulsa hands down has a better nightlife. Not saying they have better restaurants but bar scene and nightlife is way better.

13. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No troll, you'd know that if you've read most of my posts. Lived in okc area all my life but Tulsa hands down has a better nightlife. Not saying they have better restaurants but bar scene and nightlife is way better.
    Give details. Details.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like many trees. OKC is just fine, if not too woodsy, for me lol

Back to Midtown, I hope we know who OCURA will choose for the Mercy site after their special meeting tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Lived and worked in both places. Tulsa is now playing catch up.

16. Default Re: Midtown

List every nightlife establishment in both OKC and Tulsa and what makes each establishment worth the visit. Then I will subscribe to your assessment that Tulsa has hands-down the better nightlife.

You guys say Tulsa has better nightlife than OKC but you never go into specifics.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Are there any vacant spaces in the Plaza Court? Trying to imagine where Nelson's OKC version of Dust Bowl would go in that area.

If it has retail and the spaces are deep enough, it would be cool to have it in the new apartments on the old Mercy site.

Perhaps an older building would work better though for the intended atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    If it has retail and the spaces are deep enough, it would be cool to have it in the new apartments on the old Mercy site.

Perhaps an older building would work better though for the intended atmosphere.
    I would imagine the old theater right by the Sieber.

I think Midtown OKC has the potential to be the biggest nightlife area in OKC. It could be Tulsa's Brookside, Cherry Street and Blue Dome all rolled into one. I talked to Elliot Nelson once at McNellies in Tulsa. He was sitting at the bar and I introduced myself. I asked him what his next plans were, and at the time it was a German beer garden (which became Fassler Hall) and a retro bowling alley (Dust Bowl). He was also in the process of opening a McNellies location in Norman, and said the OKC McNellies has been a huge success. He said he was interested in opening up new venues in both cities but doesn't want to get stretched too thin...

Going out on a limb here, but the REAL way to rejuvenate the nightlife of a neighborhood is to put a 'good' gay bar in. By 'good' I mean one that is big, open to all LGBT and non-LGBT people, has a great place to dance with a great view of downtown. This is an absolute magnet for new developments as once the LGBT crowd moves in real estate prices will skyrocket. Of-course it will take real guts in OKC to do this, but a lively gay district nearer downtown, even in addition to the one on 39th, would be a HUGE boon to the city. We've got (or are getting) big buildings and (perhaps) a nice new convention center, but THIS step would be the true sign of a maturing urban atmosphere. Can we .... DARE WE do this?

Have a look at this example in Montreal: The Sky Complex

22. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by David Pollard View Post
    Going out on a limb here, but the REAL way to rejuvenate the nightlife of a neighborhood is to put a 'good' gay bar in. By 'good' I mean one that is big, open to all LGBT and non-LGBT people, has a great place to dance with a great view of downtown. This is an absolute magnet for new developments as once the LGBT crowd moves in real estate prices will skyrocket. Of-course it will take real guts in OKC to do this, but a lively gay district nearer downtown, even in addition to the one on 39th, would be a HUGE boon to the city. We've got (or are getting) big buildings and (perhaps) a nice new convention center, but THIS step would be the true sign of a maturing urban atmosphere. Can we .... DARE WE do this?

Have a look at this example in Montreal: The Sky Complex
    Yeah, its done wonders for the NW 39th and Penn area. (please note a sarcastic voice)

23. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Yeah, its done wonders for the NW 39th and Penn area. (please note a sarcastic voice)
    Talk about a "gay ghetto."

And what would those wonders be? Is this a bit too uncomfortable to consider? OKC's gay neighborhood has been ring-fenced by conservative attitudes that have bullied it into being the ghetto it is. I am suggesting that we free our minds here and look at the potential it has created in other cities, and at least contemplate that it COULD work here too. That's not too hard is it? Yes, it could do wonders for Midtown; no we are not Chelsea in NYC, but we're also not (correct me if I am wrong) Kabul.

Blog Entries

Pushing one group out front does not make diversity. True diversity comes when no one gives a thought as to whether there are men, women, Asians, gays, republicans, anglos, hispanics, democrats, elderly, etc. etc. at the next table. We don't need a gay OR a straight bar to prove how "cool" we are. And there is no evidence promoting one interest is an economic engine.

Thread Information