Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Ok, this is not about the best bbq in OKC, but in the DOK today, they had a picture of the sign of the Hickory House from the 40's to 50's. The sign is still there but not the name. I only mention this because it's where I cut my teeth on bbq. I think I was about five when I went there the first time. Was it great or the best in OKC? I don't know, but dang it was good.
    C. T.
    That brings back memories. Hickory House was one of my great-grandmother's favorites (along with Charlie Newton's). I don't remember anything about the bbq, I think it closed 10 years ago (maybe longer).

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    That brings back memories. Hickory House was one of my great-grandmother's favorites (along with Charlie Newton's). I don't remember anything about the bbq, I think it closed 10 years ago (maybe longer).
    Sooner88,
    It closed a lot longer ago than 10 years. I don't believe it was open when I left the Navy in 1968. I could be a little off, but not much. The catering is still open but it's different owners and I don't know if it's barbecue.
    C. T.

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Sooner88,
    It closed a lot longer ago than 10 years. I don't believe it was open when I left the Navy in 1968. I could be a little off, but not much. The catering is still open but it's different owners and I don't know if it's barbecue.
    C. T.
    Hmmm maybe I'm thinking of Hickory Tree?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Hmmm maybe I'm thinking of Hickory Tree?
    Sooner88,
    Don't bet on it, my memory has failed me before. I don't remember when, but I know it did! I did some searching because I wasn't really sure when they closed. I found that the owners grandparents owned the states first grocery store, their parents owned a couple of drive-ins, and they opened and ran the Hickory House for 37 years, but no opening or closing date. I will keep looking and if anybody has better information, please jump in, it's really starting to bug me.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Are we talking about 25th and S Western?
    Stile99,
    Yes, I searched the DOK archives and the earliest mention was "August 30, 1948. A local food editor mentions Hickory House Hickory Smoked Sauce.", and the last was 1966. As I mentioned earlier, they were in business for 37 years and I don't remember them past the 60's but some comments by OKCTalk folks indicate 1986. I won't argue about that but it sure doesn't seem correct.
    C. T.

And if you didn't know, the parents of Rick Bayless were the owners (just found that out recently).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And if you didn't know, the parents of Rick Bayless were the owners (just found that out recently).
    The Travellers,
    And Skip Bayless too. Rick enjoyed the cooking at Hickory House, and look what it has done for him. Eight or nine restaurants in Chicago and I believe he has opened one in Los Angeles.
    C. T.

The Travellers,
    And Skip Bayless too. Rick enjoyed the cooking at Hickory House, and look what it has done for him. Eight or nine restaurants in Chicago and I believe he has opened one in Los Angeles.
    C. T.
    Yep, Rick's done quite well, we ate at his places when we lived in Chicagoland, and he only had 2 - Tobolabampo (sp?) and Frontera Grill, loved them, wish we had something like them here (we might and I'm just clueless).

10. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Please, please, please.... Never do this to a rib!

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/a4...source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post

Oh dear Lord no. There's a special place in Hell for those people. The punishment is they have to eat that for all eternity. As for the last line in that article "I know a good rib when I've eaten one"...oh no you most certainly do not, lady.

uggh.

Somebody's mama didn't love then enough when they was growing up.
    Sheesh.

Is there a microwave recipe?

Sidebar, turns out I've been to texlahoma bbq before. Portions are a bit on the smaller side, but it is good. Kind of far too.

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/menus/times-square/

The menu features the barbecue tastes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, the Carolina’s and Missouri to offer a sampling of barbecue in its many and varied regional interpretations.

\\\\\\

We need one of these in OKC, so I'll never have to travel for b-b-q again!

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    http://www.virgilsbbq.com/menus/times-square/

The menu features the barbecue tastes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, the Carolina’s and Missouri to offer a sampling of barbecue in its many and varied regional interpretations.

\\\\\\

We need one of these in OKC, so I'll never have to travel for b-b-q again!
    I'd be more interested in seeing how well they pull off all of those styles... That's a lot of work and different prep/cooking techniques to fit under one roof and also do it well.

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I'd be more interested in seeing how well they pull off all of those styles... That's a lot of work and different prep/cooking techniques to fit under one roof and also do it well.
    Theres no way you can do all those style of cooks in the same place. I guess maybe they just have some different sauces? Love to try it if it worked though.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Theres no way you can do all those style of cooks in the same place. I guess maybe they just have some different sauces? Love to try it if it worked though.
    FTGF,
    But isn't this similar to a "Fusion" style restaurant? Why can't they do multiple styles? Actually, I agree that I don't know how they can do it but I would love it they can. And if it works, I would love the concept in OKC.
    C. T.

In looking at the website, I think the way they do multiple styles is...they don't. There's no mention of Missouri barbecue on any of the three menus. Figuring that might mean Kansas City, I search for burnt ends and find no mention of that either. Searching for Kansas City, however, finds fried chicken. Carolina appears to be represented by slapping on some vinegar-based sauce to pulled pork or chicken. Memphis is a smoked spare rib, and Texas is brisket. Buggered if I can figure out what Kentucky brings to the party, it's not listed on the menu, nor is 'shredded chicken' or 'pork shoulder', and nothing in the 'everything platter' screams Kentucky to me. Maybe if you wash it down with bourbon or something? No idea, I'm sure I'm just missing it.

21. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Buggered if I can figure out what Kentucky brings to the party, it's not listed on the menu, nor is 'shredded chicken' or 'pork shoulder', and nothing in the 'everything platter' screams Kentucky to me. Maybe if you wash it down with bourbon or something? No idea, I'm sure I'm just missing it.

Well Kentucky is known for smoked mutton... No smoked mutton on the menu... No Kentucky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2473.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	13369
    Menu from Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro Kentucky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2476.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	13370
    Smoked Mutton from Moonlite BBQ

Moonlite is an institution in Kentucky.... Personally I wasn't that impressed.

CT, don't know that I could consider it fusion.... Fusion generally means combining two distinct cuisines to create a new dish.

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

FTGF,
    But isn't this similar to a "Fusion" style restaurant? Why can't they do multiple styles? Actually, I agree that I don't know how they can do it but I would love it they can. And if it works, I would love the concept in OKC.
    C. T.
    Not saying they can't. I think they will just need to have quite a few pits going. If you smoke NC style it is more hickory wood than the oak of Texas style.

I have a feeling it will be mostly just the sauce and less about the perfect recreation of smoke style of those areas. Either way I always welcome new BBQ though I still like smoking at home! (Texas style is always my favorite)

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Not saying they can't. I think they will just need to have quite a few pits going. If you smoke NC style it is more hickory wood than the oak of Texas style.
    Carolina style has two different regional variances on sauces.... Texas has at least 5 different regional variations of BBQ..... Just seems like a logistical nightmare to me to even attempt in a restaurant setting.

I could see maybe picking out the best of a regions styles and maybe running with that.... I'd love to see someone bring some Eastern North Carolina style pork to OKC. Had it briefly at Moe's Smokehouse but they closed up and moved to Vermont.

Texlahoma has brought beef ribs back and I haven't made it up there to try their brisket yet but from the pics I've seen it looks like they are making an attempt at Central Texas style brisket.... I know they are using prime briskets now too.

The burnt ends at the last iteration of Smokey's were decent but they are closed and there's really not a good burnt end option unless you want to drive out to Wellston to Butcher BBQ.

If there is one thing I think we are blessed with in OKC it's pork spareribs.... I'd put the places that have regularly placed in the Top 5 of the rib tour we've done the last 3 years up against ribs I've had elsewhere around the country and if you can catch The Flying Pig BBQ trailer.... I'd put their ribs up against some of the best competition ribs I have judged.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Carolina style has two different regional variances on sauces.... Texas has at least 5 different regional variations of BBQ..... Just seems like a logistical nightmare to me to even attempt in a restaurant setting.

I could see maybe picking out the best of a regions styles and maybe running with that.... I'd love to see someone bring some Eastern North Carolina style pork to OKC. Had it briefly at Moe's Smokehouse but they closed up and moved to Vermont.

Texlahoma has brought beef ribs back and I haven't made it up there to try their brisket yet but from the pics I've seen it looks like they are making an attempt at Central Texas style brisket.... I know they are using prime briskets now too.

The burnt ends at the last iteration of Smokey's were decent but they are closed and there's really not a good burnt end option unless you want to drive out to Wellston to Butcher BBQ.

If there is one thing I think we are blessed with in OKC it's pork spareribs.... I'd put the places that have regularly placed in the Top 5 of the rib tour we've done the last 3 years up against ribs I've had elsewhere around the country and if you can catch The Flying Pig BBQ trailer.... I'd put their ribs up against some of the best competition ribs I have judged.
    Question for you. Are you a part of the KCBS? I have some friends online who joined who get to go to Restaurant Depot. Didn't know if that is even a good benefit or not?

25. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Question for you. Are you a part of the KCBS? I have some friends online who joined who get to go to Restaurant Depot. Didn't know if that is even a good benefit or not?
    Yes I am and I take advantage of being able to get in Restaurant Depot whenever I need..... It's not really a huge advantage for the backyard cook, other than being able to save a few $$ on some cooking utensils or if you like buying bulk items... But I'm occasionally cooking for large groups. So the quantities and the prices are a benefit to me.

I prefer Restaurant Depot to the US Foods Chef Store.

Thread Information