Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 252627282930

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    And here are the signs. It's pretty plain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0127...8192?entry=ttu

And the real issue seems to be the Walmart is at the 121st St exit in Glenpool, not 111th. The lady gave you bad info.
    I have no idea what the true story is, but it's safe to say there are some 'communication issues'.

should i get a NTTA Tag over a Pikepass?

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    should i get a NTTA Tag over a Pikepass?
    They and the Kansas turnpikes started a cross platform agreement with OTA years ago, so it is optional, but also may be more likely could have some sort of billing error on the other turnpike networks. They have a perks program, but it looks like it only applies to when you are driving on their system, so depends on how much you travel there.

Side note from before cross platform era, from how terrible it was trying to get anything done with their customer service I never want to deal with them again.

Drove on the Turner Turnpike today. PlatePay was in use and toll gates closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Drove on the Turner Turnpike today. PlatePay was in use and toll gates closed.
    A friendly reminder that if you don't have a PikePass (or KTA K-Tag NTTA Tag, etc), your two axle vehicle rate jumps from $4.50 to travel to the Turner Turnpike all the way up to $8.75 one way.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    A friendly reminder that if you don't have a PikePass (or KTA K-Tag NTTA Tag, etc), your two axle vehicle rate jumps from $4.50 to travel to the Turner Turnpike all the way up to $8.75 one way.
    What's the one-way cost with PikePass?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    What's the one-way cost with PikePass?
    $4.50

Press release:

OTA Board awards second phase of Stroud service plaza project
    The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority Board unanimously approved Monday a $39.2 million construction contract for the second phase of the I-44/Turner Turnpike service plaza project at Stroud.

Work completed Sept. 12 on the $8.3 million first phase that reconstructed the Old Stroud Rd. bridge above the I-44/Turner Turnpike and saw the addition of a new, two-way frontage road along westbound Turner Turnpike between SH-99 and Old Stroud Rd./N. 3550 Rd.

"As we started talking about replacing this bridge, and any bridge, you have two options: Either you put the bridge back right where it is or move it to the side. To have moved this bridge it would have impacted some houses and a historic school site. The discussion quickly turned to keeping this bridge at its current location, but that would cause a significant detour for the community," said OTA Executive Director Joe Echelle.

The City of Stroud came with the solution of a partnership with OTA to build a two-way frontage road that could help serve the detour needs during the bridge reconstruction and benefit the community during future construction. The city put $2 million toward the project.

"We're really excited to partner with the City of Stroud on this project," Echelle said.

This next phase, awarded Monday, will further the I-44/Turner Turnpike corridor widening to six lanes between SH-99 and Ozark Trail Rd. west of Stroud as well as the realignment of the westbound Turner Turnpike to the south, which will put the eastbound and westbound lanes together separated by barrier wall. The service plaza featuring Love's Travel Stop and a McDonald's restaurant will be reconstructed just to the north of its existing location. This reconstruction allows OTA to increase the parking lot to accommodate more commercial motor vehicles and a full-service truck stop will be built, including a tire center.

"This is a big moment for us here at the Turnpike Authority to get this project let to construction. This is part of our Turner Turnpike service plaza modernization that we started years ago. The Chandler service plaza serves the eastbound Turner Turnpike. The Stroud service plaza will serve the westbound Turner Turnpike. We build the site, we bring utilities to the site and we build the truck parking," said OTA Director of Engineering Darian Butler. "We're excited to get this project off the ground."

One of the key safety enhancements of this project once complete is that westbound motorists will have a right-hand exit to the service plaza, helping lessen last-minute traffic weaving. Additionally, only westbound I-44/Turner Turnpike will have access to the Stroud service plaza as eastbound traffic has access to the Chandler service plaza.

While motorists can expect lane and shoulder closures during mainline Turner Turnpike construction, access will remain open to the service plaza for the majority of the time. There may be short duration closures later in the construction project when the facilities move to the new location.

The Board awarded the construction contract to Becco Contractors Inc. and work is expected to begin before the end of 2024 and complete in early 2026, weather permitting.

In other business, the Board:

Approved an additional $982,250 not to exceed amount to an existing engineering design contract with Cowan Group Engineering for ongoing work on ACCESS Oklahoma long-range projects for the John Kilpatrick Turnpike, the South Extension Turnpike and the I-44/Turner Turnpike. This re-starts design work in these areas.
    Jimmy Sparks, OTA's consulting engineer with Olsson Engineering, presented the Board with a draft report of turnpike projects outlined in Title 69-1705 of OTA's Enabling Act. This report identifies which turnpike projects are completed and routes that OTA may decide to not pursue due to a number of factors. Some of the projects listed in statute were built by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation as part of the tax-supported system. Several others were future interchange projects where OTA is authorized to build interchanges and connections on its existing system.

Watch the full meeting here: OTA Special Session Board Meeting Sept. 23, 2024 (youtube.com)

As much anti-highway stuff I say I do think this is a much needed project to widen the Turner. I've driven between OKC and Tulsa more times than I can imagine and the part from Bristow to Tulsa is the best part.

I do wish a train line or something could have been done in the right of way but that would never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    As much anti-highway stuff I say I do think this is a much needed project to widen the Turner. I've driven between OKC and Tulsa more times than I can imagine and the part from Bristow to Tulsa is the best part.

I do wish a train line or something could have been done in the right of way but that would never happen.
    It would be nice if they would at least set the stages to build a rail line that goes about 110 to 120 miles an hour. They could at least do some grading work, but they wouldn’t be involved much in the construction. I’m sure Oklahoma would have to form a special rail authority to build the actual system. Oklahoma isn’t exactly a progressive state so I don’t see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be nice if they would at least set the stages to build a rail line that goes about 110 to 120 miles an hour. They could at least do some grading work, but they wouldn’t be involved much in the construction. I’m sure Oklahoma would have to form a special rail authority to build the actual system. Oklahoma isn’t exactly a progressive state so I don’t see that happening.
    Haha, even the most progressive states would never have a train going that fast. Name a state thst does, I'll wait.

The ROI for Oklahoma would be negative, at best, and crippling, at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Haha, even the most progressive states would never have a train going that fast. Name a state thst does, I'll wait.

Seems like you really didn’t understand the point of my post.

As far as your question Acela trains in the NE reach speeds of 160MPH and I believe the train route between Chicago and St. Louis hits speeds of 110MPH. You can stop waiting now.

If built right the ROI would be great. We shouldn’t be build infrastructure for profit. It’s meant to be part of the greater good.

Florida and parts of the NE corridor. But good job, good effort!

IMO, the only way any sort of large scale high speed rail will be built is as a national effort.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Agreed and not via Amtrack. it's going to have to be a new public private partnership. Unfortunately, i dont think there's just a ton of appetite in the US for these....and EXPENSIVE,,,man they will be expensive.

The misplaced confidence in this post is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The misplaced confidence in this post is amazing.
    My confidence that this won't happen in Oklahoma in any of our lifetimes is not misplaced. I'd put it at 10%.

And sure, some trains in America do, but only for short stretches (like 50 miles out of a 500 mile route). In 2024 and beyond, that cost is exorbitant, and not one that Oklahoma can afford. Just my opinion.

If anything I think the state would be smart to do a really nice coach bus running up and down I-44 stopping at the bigger towns and cities.

Something like Bustang or the Virginia Breeze. We'd get most of the benefit with a fraction of the cost.

I think the state is designing the widened sections to have enough for an autonomous truck (why not busses too?).

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    If anything I think the state would be smart to do a really nice coach bus running up and down I-44 stopping at the bigger towns and cities.

Something like Bustang or the Virginia Breeze. We'd get most of the benefit with a fraction of the cost.

I think the state is designing the widened sections to have enough for an autonomous truck (why not busses too?).
    Why does the state have to provide the service (and likely subsidize it)? If there is demand a private entity will start a coach bus service.

My confidence that this won't happen in Oklahoma in any of our lifetimes is not misplaced. I'd put it at 10%.

And sure, some trains in America do, but only for short stretches (like 50 miles out of a 500 mile route). In 2024 and beyond, that cost is exorbitant, and not one that Oklahoma can afford. Just my opinion.
    Haha now we can agree on this. I'd put something like this happening at >1%. It was just a conversation. No need to be a dick about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Why does the state have to provide the service (and likely subsidize it)? If there is demand a private entity will start a coach bus service.
    Because transportation is a public service and the point is to enable social, economic, and recreational opportunities for people with lower incomes and in rural areas.

We dont expect police or fire services to make money. We dont expect highways to make money but we expect public transportation to?

Thread Information