Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New OKC Metro... projects...

1. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

While I think it would be a fantastic idea for the future, I just don't see the city building that any time soon unless it were a completely privately-fueled investment (Another Gaylord team?)

Regardless, it is a good idea, especially to adjust for the growing influx of Mexicans and general Latin Americans. MLS is a fascinating sport. If we can build a skate park that really doesn't bring in any revanue for the city (which I can't fathom why there aren't any arcades around the complex or paintball fields. Something to generate revanue off of the skaters.) I can't see why we couldn't build a soccer field to please both the minorities and the majority.

While I think such an investment would belong in an area closer to a higher Latin concentration, it may do wonders on the south side of the river or closer to the proposed Latin neighborhood that was in talks of renovating. I think an MLS team would probably have waisted potential on the UCO field, though the good faith and measure is there. A project like this would also be great closer to the interstate for tourism.

I also know that many would continue to shoot down the idea of a new football stadium in favor of the two-team rivalry, however it amazes me that we are not an NFL city. Spartan (I believe it was you who had the riverfront proposal,) do you know if the area south of the river next to I-35 is has actually been zoned as a sports complex or just in talks? I think we could all agree it would be fantastic area for whatever would work best.

2. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

There is nothing in talks for a sports complex east of the boathouse.

That I know of, that is.

3. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Agh, My mind was on the other side of the area, I meant to say I-44. Here's the plans I had been referring to that Shane had: Oklahoma City Development News 1 - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

Does anyone have any more information on this proposal?

Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

I really can't see MLS being very successfull in OKC. I live in Tulsa and I plan on going to a Hornets game later in the year, but I can't see myself traveling to OKC to watch a MLS game(but thats just me). A soccer team probably would work for the first couple of years, but I think it would eventually die down.

I think OKC could handle a NFL team (although its not going to happen). The city could build a stadium that holds around 75,000 and use it for Big XII championship games, some OU or OSU games, possible a college football bowl game, and eventually bring an NFL team to OKC in the future.

no way OU is going to play any of their home games in okc with the $$ that has been spent on the stadium in Norman. Plus OKC has nothing that could compare to the gameday atmosphere in Norman - campus corner, O'Connels, etc.

the MLS is going to be our only other professional sports option because 1. costs [stadium and ticket prices are reasonable]; 2. league runs through the summer and compliments the football season; 3. Oklahomans are going to support professional soccer better than hockey; 4. the MLS is a growing league with a promising future; 5. a soccer-specific stadium would enhance the city.

you want another pro sport, OKC? the only other option is pro soccer, and it WILL work.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Walcott View Post
    the MLS is going to be our only other professional sports option because 1. costs [stadium and ticket prices are reasonable]; 2. league runs through the summer and compliments the football season; 3. Oklahomans are going to support professional soccer better than hockey; 4. the MLS is a growing league with a promising future; 5. a soccer-specific stadium would enhance the city.

you want another pro sport, OKC? the only other option is pro soccer, and it WILL work.
    So what if numbers 1-4 are true? It still doesn't put butts in the seats.

And whad'ya mean OKC would support mls better than hockey? The Blazers have been a big success for over a decade. I don't know that we'd pack the house for every game of an NHL team, but I think it's been proven that hockey can work in this city. The only reason the Blazers have been down lately is because of the excitement of the NBA.

I could be totally wrong, but I just don't see mls being that huge of a hit in Oklahoma. It's a football state followed by basketball and baseball. It's a state where we have 45k people show up for a regular season game of high school football. I just don't see everyone going ga ga over soccer.

Heck, I think we'd have more success with a NASCAR track than soccer because NASCAR fans travel well. They follow their sport around like Dead Heads did with the Grateful Dead. So in that aspect it wouldn't be up to the metro alone to support it like it is for a pro home team sport.

And BTW, I don't buy into the thought that mls is our only other option for a pro sport but if it is, it still doesn't make it viable. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should and just because we have it doesn't mean people will show up consistantly for it.

8. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Walcott View Post

We have four professional teams. The Hornets, the Blazers, The RedHawks, and the Yard Dawgz. These men ALL get paid to play. Therefore, they are professional athletes. Only the Hornets are Major League, however.

9. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

I suggest a space of about three blocks square with a 100 foot wide border of closely planted large trees surrounding an open grass park with absolutely nothing built in it. This city is rapidly losing every quiet open space in every park. Either someone thinks it's a good idea to build another mediocre restaurant or put in a building of some sort or a place for a sporting activity. I don't disagree that appropriate development is good, but undeveloped space is good also. There must be enough open space to fly kites. Central Park in NYC is the best example in the world of the value of open space. Sometimes less really is more.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

10. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Agreed, but wouldn't it be better to do so in a different area? That's prime real estate, too close to the Myriad Gardens. If OKC were ever to have a Central Park, I think it'd be better suited eventually in or outside of Midtown, possibly even across the highway, north of the medical district.

I do agree that most things going in are mediocre, but I would assume that most people know that we can't really screw this up. I think the expansion along with the river gives OKC the chance to do something really special (and to kill all of the "there's never anything to do in the City" dismissals :-).)

11. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

If ever OKC would have a Central Park, I would rather have it in Riverside from the new I-40 to the riverfront or even farther north from downtown. Plans differ on a continuous field. But denser housing is being planned for the area, so you'd have the users.
    Continue the Renaissance

12. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

I can see it working if it's not huge and is maybe a three sided stadium, with the open end facing the river, and right on the river. It would have to work as a concert venue as well. And it needs to be really nice.

13. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

"If OKC were ever to have a Central Park, I think it'd be better suited eventually in or outside of Midtown, possibly even across the highway, north of the medical district."

It is not as large, however, we HAVE a "central park." It is called Myriad Gardens.

14. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

You're right, but I figured they were talking about a larger sprawl for various park and outdoor activities. If anything, Will Rogers Park would be a best choice for a "Central Park" if the areas around the park were stimulated much more than in thier current state. No way will it ever compare, but I'd have to say we're just as well off with W.R. Park and the Myriad Gardens.

15. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Nothing wrong with more parks. We need more parks. We have plenty of land.

16. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

No. Parks are the devil. They are for liberals. Thus, I am totally, completely against the idea of the installation of more space that would actually be green, with trees, or anything that is otherwise landscaped in any way, form, or fashion.

We need more treeless subdivisions. Huzzah!

17. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Hahaha

...did it really sound that bad when I said it?!

18. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Yes, absolutely. Never again. We don't need no stinkin' liberal pansy fruity tooty good for nuthin' green space. Ya hear? Just shut up and enjoy the urban dust bowl.

19. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralMourning View Post
    Agreed, but wouldn't it be better to do so in a different area? That's prime real estate, too close to the Myriad Gardens. If OKC were ever to have a Central Park, I think it'd be better suited eventually in or outside of Midtown, possibly even across the highway, north of the medical district.
    No joke...

What where those guys thinking when they put that huge empty space right in the middle of Manhattan? And what about those morons who left all of that lakefront property in Chicago empty? That is what I call poor land use. Stupid bleeding-heart liberals. Screw a "Central Park", OKC needs a "Perimeter Park".

there have been quite a few homes taken out south of sw 29th and robinson to make way for an expanded green belt/park.

-M

21. Default Re: New OKC Metro... projects...

Haha, man. Leave it to the internet to allow for thing to be taken out of context (and by the way, I'm sure it'd shock you to learn that I'm a Democrat. A moderate anyhow...)

What I meant by that, CM, is that the space between downtown, bricktown, and the riverfront would be better suited for business and entertainment. The riverfront seems more classy to develop more of a park-friendly atmosphere, along with thriving entertainment to suit us all. In all actuality, Oklahoma has literally thousands of sites and landscapes that should be showcased more to be of a park-friendly atmosphere than downtown OKC.

I'm not advocating to remove all of the greenery, I just don't think it should be a prime focus. We all know that Oklahoma City isn't large enough to support a Central Park as well as NYC, so why not improve upon what we have with the Myriad Gardens and Will Rogers Park? Both locations are conveniently-located for most, just one has the space large enough to handle a thriving park atmosphere we're all looking for.

I can see it working if it's not huge and is maybe a three sided stadium, with the open end facing the river, and right on the river. It would have to work as a concert venue as well. And it needs to be really nice.
    Good points. A nice multi-use and expandable facility would be great. When you think about it, the Ford Center was a forward thinking project and the same approach could be made with an outdoor facility. I think a facility in a park setting on the river would be great and, done right, could be an enviable landmark for the region. Start on a scale we could afford. Make it look nice, but don't blow a huge load of cash on it until its use can justify it.

Also, I caught some of Days of Thunder on TV last night and the early montage showcased a lot of the diferent locations across the country that have NASCAR events. It struck me as odd that OKC does not have any of these events or a facility for them. I am in no way a NASCAR fan and wouldn't really want a motor speedway on the river, but with our large fairgrounds, why couldn't OKC get on that list of cities with NASCAR facilties? Whether you love it or hate, it brings in tons of people. just a thought.

I'd be more inclined to believe we can support NASCAR than an MLS franchise. I think the Edmond plans for MLS (as I remember them) are a much more suitable fit. Sorry to the MLS fans out there, but as an "anchor" attraction in the Bricktown area? No way.

A (much earlier) post in this thread talked about CompUSA in trouble, and it isn't terribly surprising. When the margins began to be squeezed beyond belief in the retail computer market, they shifted into higher-end electronics like big-screen TV's, with the added liability of some of the worst prices in town and absolute indifference to it. I would not be at all surprised to drive by their store one day with a big "CLOSED FOREVER" sign on the front.

-SoonerDave

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    "If OKC were ever to have a Central Park, I think it'd be better suited eventually in or outside of Midtown, possibly even across the highway, north of the medical district."

It is not as large, however, we HAVE a "central park." It is called Myriad Gardens.
    And I'd love to see the Myriad Gardens expanded. Plans originally called for two Crystal Bridges, one with desert/arid plants and the other with rainforest. Why not complete the project? I'd love to see the city buy up Bob Howard Ford, and expand the Myriad Gardens, with more water features, and possibly another Crystal Bridge for arid plants. And the canal could be extended down Reno to connect in with all of this. Taking a water taxi ride under the Myriad Gardens would be pretty nifty.

I'm kind of surprised at how underutilized the Myriad Gardens is now. It seems to do okay for special events, but when I go just to hang our or eat lunch, it's all but empty.

Thread Information