Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird
    I feel that the way this thing has gone down has caused more damage than his comments. That is just one man's opinion...
    I felt the same way, but there is a good chance with him coming, we'll finally get a game on national television with Charles and the rest of the TNT gang. If that happens, there will be a lot of good that came from his silly statement and 'our' response.

:tweeted:

I thought Kelly Ogle's stunt wasn't helping the matter but either way national press coverage is national press coverage. Charles did contradict himself to save his butt, but Kelly and the rest of the good ole' boy Channel 9 gang didn't do a good job of shedding the "hick image" they are trying to disprove. The channel 9 gang was talking a little too "down home" and when they asked where they should take him and showed video clips all they came up with was a buffalo statue, marble slab, and the national cowboy hall of fame and western heritage museum? And one guy on the street they interviewed said Bricktown is the only cool place in Oklahoma. Need I go there? Boy they sure showed him! Yeah when you come Charles, Kelly will show you a buffalo statue, Cowboy Museum, and then nice cooking of Marble Slab chain restaurant! We need to raise public awareness more than worrying about what Sir Charles thinks.

3. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

I completely agree, metro. I'm afraid with "tour guides" like Kelly Ogle, we're going to be in for a bigger beating from Chuck after he does visit!

Patrick Guest

Take him to Crossroads Mall. That will show him upscale shopping in OKC.

Patrick Guest

It didn't help the Kelly Ogle gave him a cow tipping t-shirt either. I know it was a joke, but still.

What places (restaraunts, museums, sites, etc) should Charles, or any other "celebrity" visitor be taken to in Oklahoma City?

7. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Let's start a new thread.... where to take Charles Barkley - I'll do it now..
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I completely agree, metro. I'm afraid with "tour guides" like Kelly Ogle, we're going to be in for a bigger beating from Chuck after he does visit!
    sweetdaisy, I agree thus my original statement, they just might accomplish the opposite of what they are trying. I emailed Channel 9 about the potential reprocusions they set themselves up for last night and I encourage each of you who feel obligated to do so as well.

9. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Take him to Crossroads Mall. That will show him upscale shopping in OKC.
    Lol. Kelly Ogle probably shouldn't be the tour guide. What people miss (not just Okies), when they take people around town is that museums by themselves aren't interesting. What people want to see is other people -- on the street, shopping, enjoying the nightlife. What do people of a city enjoy doing? Well, I know nobody who goes to the Cowboy Museum every weekend.

It reminds me of when an Philippine ambassador came by for an event, and for lunch, the members of our protocol team took him to Golden Corral. I nearly pulled my all my hair out when I found out. I was told he had a funny look on his face as he was sliding his tray over.

My suggestions for an itinerary:
    Deep Fork Grill
    Penn Square
    50 Penn Place
    Gold Dome/Grand House/Super Cao Nguyen
    Paseo Arts District
    The Mantel
    Maker's Cigar Lounge/Straight Up
    City Walk
    Water Taxi
    Stockyards City cattle auctions(it is part of who we are)
    Film @ Museum of Art's Noble Theater/Cocktails on the Skyline
    Capitol Hill
    Rowing Lessons @ Chesapeake Boathouse
    PHF Research Park/OU Medical Center
    State Capitol
    Taste of Soul/Ralph Ellison Library
    Oak Tree or Lincoln West golf
    Biking/Sunset at Red Rock Canyon Grill at Lake Hefner
    Continue the Renaissance

10. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

We should put in a sports bar and Remington Park in there somewhere...
    Continue the Renaissance

Why would you take him to Lincoln West golf? Oak Tree, Gaillardia, Rose Creek, or Twin Hills have much much nicer facilities

I feel that the way this thing has gone down has caused more damage than his comments.
    That's probably true. Amongst all of Oklahoma City's improvements and changes, there is always something to remind us that we're still very much a small urban island in a very cow town minded state. Our reaction is, in a way, reinforcing that.

Again, I think it helps to look at why many have Barkley's impression of us, (and, let's face, more share that impression than don't) instead of just turning it into a BS PC battle or trying to defend ourselves with examples of things that really only reinforce the image. I think by simply dismissing Barkley's remarks completely, we are ignoring some of the truth of his sentiments and, by doing so, we are bound to continue to be that way and leave that impression on people.

For example, is there really that much to do in Oklahoma outside of college, and now, NBA sports? Would the examples you are thinking of really impress someone from a large market or actually reinforce that person's perception by the mere fact that you are trying using them as examples of legitimacy?

Personally, I know that there are many things to do in Oklahoma and Oklahoma City outside of sporting events, things I like to do. But I also know that much of them are not necessarily things that would change someone's mind about Oklahoma being a wasteland or a place where people have chickens in their front yard.

I honestly think that a majority of the people on this board know this and is a large part of why you post here. You want to highlight the better things in Oklahoma City and continue to improve its quality of life and its image. Maybe some of us get upset at Barkley because he makes that job harder, but the reality is that his remarks also serve as a true reminder of how much work really needs to be done to improve life in Oklahoma City and its image at large.

It is interesting because I see an underlying complacency in the reaction of this matter by some posters from whom I would never expect it. But I think complacency as a defense mechanism isn’t going to help much.

Patrick Guest

Showing Barkley the brand spankin' new Douglass High School might make a good statement. How about the new Walnut Ave. Bridge? Show him that we actually do have black people in our city.

14. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Why would you take him to Lincoln West golf? Oak Tree, Gaillardia, Rose Creek, or Twin Hills have much much nicer facilities
    Well, because it's public, but I suppose Barkley being a celebrity, he'd be more than welcome at those fine facilities.
    Continue the Renaissance

15. Default Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

All this hullabaloo about Barkley does make us seem ultra-sensitive. But I believe that we can't let others do the image-making for us. We have to fight decades of misperceptions and nonperceptions about Oklahoma. It true what BDP said that nothing in OKC will truly amaze people, but a visit will at least contest the notion that it's backwards community. I would rather be labeled boring than backwoods.
    Continue the Renaissance

I would rather be labeled boring than backwoods.
    Right. And even then, while there may not be something that is going to wow a lot of people into coming here, it is improtant that we stress what we do have that doesn't fit the stereotypes. Most people who come here to visit me and my wife have a great time and are surprised by what we do have. To date, none have mentioned actually wanting to move here, but it is always amazing how much people think is not here at all before they visit.

17. Post Re: Charles Barkley's comments on OKC

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I felt the same way, but there is a good chance with him coming, we'll finally get a game on national television with Charles and the rest of the TNT gang. If that happens, there will be a lot of good that came from his silly statement and 'our' response.

:tweeted:
    Honestly, I think that was Charles Barkley's intent with his remark - root for the "outsider" using the "common" or historical perception.

You all may think Barkley is an idiot, but sometimes you need to read into a person and what they say. Im not saying he is the best philosopher or philanthropist, BUT he did create a lot of press about OKC. And it was not that OK is a wastland and no place for Brothers.

He's coming (and you know TNT will be as well). And it looks like a game will be broadcast from here (something we didnt have before).

We have a GREAT opp to really show the world the real OKC. You all complained about not being given a chance, well here it is. Barkley might have well become sort of an ambassador for OKC and our market!

So now, Oklahoma City better step up to the plate!!! Clean it up, and put together an agenda that shows life in OKC - in a way people can understand and appreciate. dont just go to the eastside to see the brothas or just stay downtown for that "new york" urban feel - tour the inner city districts, check out the happening suburbs of Norman and Guthrie, I think Langston is a great idea as is Boley and Lawton, swing by Tulsa then come back to "the city" to wrap it all up at the Governer's mansion!

Im not saying treat Barkley like a king, what I am saying is use this PR event as an opportunity to "show the world" who OKC really is! And why this relatively unknown city is major league or at least becoming more major league daily!

Im sure after such a tour, he would have to back track much of what he said. Hopefully, he would even consider investing in OKC - maybe a theme restaurant or even in the team!

This could be a really good thing for OKC (or terrible if OKC does not deliver).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information