Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I don't know if they still do, but when I was in high school, the public courses gave our golf team free buckets of balls to hit on the range.
    That's how it was in Tulsa. We'd go play at LaFortune, Page Belcher, and Mohawk which are owned by Tulsa county.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    There should have been some funding earmarked to go towards the OKC and Putnam City High Schools to create or expand their golf teams.

My high school golf team is what hooked me.
    It would seem that improving the public courses and facilities (which includes training facilities), would directly benefit OKC and PC school golf programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge about golf, I don't play it, so I still have a lot to learn. From my perspective, $11.8 million is a substantial amount that could be invested in something that benefits a larger portion of the community. For example, $11.8 million could be used to acquire the Gold Dome and transform it into a public venue, such as a library, or something else. The Belle Isle Library is a great example; it benefits that neighborhood tremendously. This would be a better investment for the city, especially considering the negative impact of having an eyesore in a prime location. That’s just one example. My question is: is there any way to recoup some of that $11.8 million and allocate it to other projects, or will additional funds be required to maintain that facility in the future?
    Just because you don't play, doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people here and from surrounding communities that use all the courses on a day to day basis. The OKC metro has some very high quality municipal courses. The only thing really lacking at our municipal courses have been the dated club houses and other facilities but the great thing is that most of those were built between the 50s-70s and we're just now replacing them. Seems like a pretty decent investment.

After the renovations at the 5 OKC courses, Kickingbird in Edmond and Jimmy Austin in Norman a few years ago (Jimmy is kind of an outlier in this group but is still public), I would be willing to bet that our municipal/public courses and facilities will collectively be some of the best in the nation among metro areas, especially per capita (which is important when it comes to getting tee times). These are all going to be (or already are) country club quality facilities, and, in several cases country club quality courses, that everyone has access to for a reasonable price (except for Jimmy Austin which is pretty expensive and tough to get on if you're not an OU student or member). Having very nice and accessible public courses is a pretty big time amenity that not every city has in abundance and is a nice selling point for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    That's how it was in Tulsa. We'd go play at LaFortune, Page Belcher, and Mohawk which are owned by Tulsa county.
    pretty sure that belcher and mohawk are owned by the city of tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Just because you don't play, doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people here and from surrounding communities that use all the courses on a day to day basis. The OKC metro has some very high quality municipal courses. The only thing really lacking at our municipal courses have been the dated club houses and other facilities but the great thing is that most of those were built between the 50s-70s and we're just now replacing them. Seems like a pretty decent investment.

After the renovations at the 5 OKC courses, Kickingbird in Edmond and Jimmy Austin in Norman a few years ago (Jimmy is kind of an outlier in this group but is still public), I would be willing to bet that our municipal/public courses and facilities will collectively be some of the best in the nation among metro areas, especially per capita (which is important when it comes to getting tee times). These are all going to be (or already are) country club quality facilities, and, in several cases country club quality courses, that everyone has access to for a reasonable price (except for Jimmy Austin which is pretty expensive and tough to get on if you're not an OU student or member). Having very nice and accessible public courses is a pretty big time amenity that not every city has in abundance and is a nice selling point for OKC.
    I fully support public amenities, so don't get me wrong. What I’m suggesting is that we should prioritize investing public funds in projects with the highest impact—addressing immediate needs and benefiting the greatest number of people first, then working down the list. Transparency is crucial in this process. Is there a way to assess how many visitors a facility accommodates annually, the revenue it generates, the expenses incurred, and its overall economic impact on the neighborhood and the city? With this data, we can make more informed decisions about where to allocate funds—whether it’s for Golf Course A versus Golf Course B, the south side versus the north side, or the east versus the west, for example.

OKC isn’t an extremely wealthy city, and we have many challenges to address to attract businesses, families, and visitors, so it’s important to use our resources wisely. I’m confident that many initiatives could have a more significant impact than golf facilities, though I’m also certain that golf facilities offer more benefits than many other options. How does that list look? This seems like basic public investment strategy.

But I also understand that decisions about where to invest money aren’t always made this way. Like with MAPS, it often comes down to someone’s vision, and I accept that reality.

I fully support public amenities, so don't get me wrong. What I’m suggesting is that we should prioritize investing public funds in projects with the highest impact—addressing immediate needs and benefiting the greatest number of people first, then working down the list. Transparency is crucial in this process. Is there a way to assess how many visitors a facility accommodates annually, the revenue it generates, the expenses incurred, and its overall economic impact on the neighborhood and the city? With this data, we can make more informed decisions about where to allocate funds—whether it’s for Golf Course A versus Golf Course B, the south side versus the north side, or the east versus the west, for example.

OKC isn’t an extremely wealthy city, and we have many challenges to address to attract businesses, families, and visitors, so it’s important to use our resources wisely. I’m confident that many initiatives could have a more significant impact than golf facilities, though I’m also certain that golf facilities offer more benefits than many other options. How does that list look? This seems like basic public investment strategy.

But I also understand that decisions about where to invest money aren’t always made this way. Like with MAPS, it often comes down to someone’s vision, and I accept that reality.
    Sounds to me that you have a personal vision of priorities and haven't researched much about how it is done in OKC. Watch the Mayor's "State of the City" address on YouTube, watch City Council meetings, hang out with the Chamber of Commerce people and City staff. There is a mind numbing amount of research and data out there.

the GO bond issues are built with a task force aided by the public ..

they are then voted on prop by prop by the public ..

not in some back room ..

I don't play golf except the occasional charity scramble. I personally could care less about the course BUT a lot of business people do and an amazing amount of business takes place on the golf course. Last time I played was with my banker closing a commercial loan. I know of least one business owner that moved here because it was easier to get tee times than it was in California, Pure speculation on my part but I would assume having nice courses are a draw for attracting new businesses and also young professionals to OKC. Part of a quality lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Sounds to me that you have a personal vision of priorities and haven't researched much about how it is done in OKC. Watch the Mayor's "State of the City" address on YouTube, watch City Council meetings, hang out with the Chamber of Commerce people and City staff. There is a mind numbing amount of research and data out there.
    I'm sure you're mingling with all the key players. I don't have a vision, I'm like decades behind you. Earlier, I asked a question: Is there a way to find a list of items with their associated impact factors? If you have that information, please share it with us. If you don't, once I find those, I'll share them with you, my best friend, Google, has been helping me. I'm confident that many studies have been conducted by smart people, which is why our Streetcar project has been so successful. But you know what could make it even better? Prioritizing something else with that money first, just to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    pretty sure that belcher and mohawk are owned by the city of tulsa
    Now that i think of it I think you are right. LaFortune and SouthLakes might be the county courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I don't play golf except the occasional charity scramble. I personally could care less about the course BUT a lot of business people do and an amazing amount of business takes place on the golf course. Last time I played was with my banker closing a commercial loan. I know of least one business owner that moved here because it was easier to get tee times than it was in California, Pure speculation on my part but I would assume having nice courses are a draw for attracting new businesses and also young professionals to OKC. Part of a quality lifestyle.
    Yes to all of this. Add retirees and near retirees to that list as well.

Press release;

Groundbreaking ceremony for Lake Hefner Golf Club Clubhouse Aug. 29
    Post Date:08/16/2024 9:41 AM

The community is invited to join civic leaders as they break ground on a new 18,000-square-foot clubhouse at Lake Hefner Golf Club, 4491 S Lake Hefner Dr., at 10 a.m. on Aug. 29.

The clubhouse’s first floor will include a golf shop, locker rooms, office space and a grab-and-go food and beverage area so golfers can enjoy lunch, dinner or snacks on the course. The second story will feature a full-service restaurant and bar with panoramic views over the north course and Lake Hefner.

The clubhouse will be constructed with limestone walls that mirror the riprap and dam along the lake, while oxide metal contrasts against the Oklahoma City sky.

“Oklahoma City has come a long way since Lake Hefner’s current clubhouse was constructed in the mid-1960s,” Oklahoma City Golf Commission Chairman and former Mayor Mick Cornett said. “Since that time, the 36-hole complex has become one of the most popular golf destinations in the region. Though the clubhouse has served us well, it is time we looked forward to a new facility that reflects the modern game and the modern golfer."

The club’s two golf courses and existing clubhouse will remain open while the new clubhouse is under construction.

The new clubhouse is expected to open in 2026.

The $11.8 million clubhouse is funded by the Better Streets, Safer City 2017 Bond Program. Improvement projects have also been completed at the clubhouses of two other City-owned courses, Earlywine Golf Club and James E. Stewart Golf Course.

Learn more about Oklahoma City’s public golf courses, reserve tee times and more at okcgolf.com.

Hey Pete, what about the Hefner Boathouse? I’m assuming that is completely unrelated to this project but they had some beautiful renderings of a building I remember to be mostly glass facing the lake and it seems like there hasn’t been any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hey Pete, what about the Hefner Boathouse? I’m assuming that is completely unrelated to this project but they had some beautiful renderings of a building I remember to be mostly glass facing the lake and it seems like there hasn’t been any updates.
    That building was torn down some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I thought there were plans to replace it.

Actually was just knocked down in January and finished early in February...of course with little info on plans to replace it or the boat dump station they took out with it.

17. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Actually was just knocked down in January and finished early in February...of course with little info on plans to replace it or the boat dump station they took out with it.
    The old "Lake Patrol Station"?

Six months isn't 'some time ago'?

There are no plans to replace it.

19. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

I think we should build/grow and maintain what OKC has, but I feel there is a lack of priority where it needs to be - the young people of the city. Yes, we're FINALLY building youth centers but you also have parks and community centers throughout the city that are underfunded, in disrepair, or worse. If I had to chose between golf and the youth I'd always chose the latter - giving them safe, fully funded resources reduces crime and allows youth to have a great childhood and by extension, builds pride in their city/community.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't rebuild the golf center. But we also should take just as much if not more effort to our youth and facilities available to them. To that regard, golf should wait since MOST of the folks enjoying it do have resources that could help with funding it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I am a golfer so I am probably biased. But I think a lot of people who don’t frequent the city owned courses don’t realize the massive number of regular Joe Schmo’s who use them every single day. Joining a golf club is prohibitively expensive, so if golf is your primary hobby, the muni’s are your only option. Look at the peer cities we compete with and research their muni golf courses. It is an amenity that we should be proud of and look to improve upon.

^

Not only that, but the restaurants are used by many people, not just golfers.

And these new OKC clubhouses (Lincoln, Earlywine, Hefner) also have rooms available to rent for events.

Want to have a really nice and cheap afternoon or evening? Go hit a bucket of balls at Lincoln (or skip the golf entirely), then get a cool beverage and something to eat and sit on the covered 2nd level veranda overlooking the beautifully green and wooded course.

Hefner will soon have this too, complete with a nice view of the lake.

Not to split hairs but "some time ago" seems like years when we've been talking about that boat/ranger house (or renovations to it) here since 2016-2018 or so, not something that was finished the first or second week of this February.

^

Not only that, but the restaurants are used by many people, not just golfers.

And these new OKC clubhouses (Lincoln, Earlywine, Hefner) also have rooms available to rent for events.

Want to have a really nice and cheap afternoon or evening? Go hit a bucket of balls at Lincoln (or skip the golf entirely), then get a cool beverage and something to eat and sit on the covered 2nd level veranda overlooking the beautifully green and wooded course.

Hefner will soon have this too, complete with a nice view of the lake.

This idea is HIGHLY underrated. That second floor patio area at Lincoln is especially awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think we should build/grow and maintain what OKC has, but I feel there is a lack of priority where it needs to be - the young people of the city. Yes, we're FINALLY building youth centers but you also have parks and community centers throughout the city that are underfunded, in disrepair, or worse. If I had to chose between golf and the youth I'd always chose the latter - giving them safe, fully funded resources reduces crime and allows youth to have a great childhood and by extension, builds pride in their city/community.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't rebuild the golf center. But we also should take just as much if not more effort to our youth and facilities available to them. To that regard, golf should wait since MOST of the folks enjoying it do have resources that could help with funding it.
    I will suggest to you and to @Oski that if you want different spending priorities, then get involved in city government and change them. This golf clubhouse was part of a public vote. Just like MAPS have been public votes. They both suggest the majority of OKCityans agree with the current plan for spending.

Am I crazy here? I thought they had renderings of a new glass house?

Thread Information