Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Yard

Default Re: The Yard

So is the shipping container part of this development a phase two? Or was it scaled back and I missed that?

There will still be a phase II it will just be different than previously shown.

Went to the grand opening. This place is going to be very cool. The main container near 7th is the full bar. There is a beer only bar in the back near the parking lot. A lot of people did not know this as the back bar cannot be seen. So there was a massive line in the middle of the space. This will get better as people get more familiar.

Staff was very nice and friendly. But [most of them] did not know what was going on in terms of pricing and how to use the tablets for card payments. I went up for the same orders at least 3 or 4 times and paid differently each time. There was random times where three beers were $12 even. Then suddenly $15. And the best one, $13.01. Like what?

The amount of people that brought their kids was a little weird. People trying to push strollers through that gravel looked like a chore. I was hoping this place would have less kids than Bleu, but it looked like the same.

The TVs were efficiently placed and on mute, which was nice. They had some pretty bad top 40 music blasting early on before the band next door [at the block party] started playing and they just turned it off completely (good move).

One food truck on site, it was a BBQ truck, it parks in the lot in the rear, which is nice to have it out of the way. It did not look like many people were ordering from it as it was obviously cinco de mayo so everyone was eating burritos and tacos at the block party.

Overall, once the staff gets more organized, this place will for sure be successful.

I was there as well and really enjoyed it.

Like a smaller Bleu Garten but like the crowd here lots better. Met lots of friendly, nice people.

Was an absolutely gorgeous night.

They officially open today at 5PM.

I stumbled upon this place last night. Had no idea it existed.
    They have built a roof over the western row of tables. Great addition.
    The weather last night was perfect, there were only about 20 people there around 8:30 on a weeknight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yard1.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	742.1 KB 
ID:	14057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yard2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	14058

I have been often, it is a great little spot. And I love how much more personal it is than Bleu Garten. However, I will say that it seems like the competition is stiff and stubborn. More aggressive marketing and potential 'bar trivia' games may be needed to lure people away from Bleu if this place is going to make it.

The lone foodtruck they host on some nights gets almost no business depending on the vibe.

I like this place, but I wonder if there's been a bit of a struggle due to location. 7th is a dead zone. With the 8th Street Market coming online soon, though, I'm hopeful that we'll reach critical mass along the tracks from 9th to 7th and The Yard will benefit.

They would benefit from at least social media promotion.

10. Default Re: The Yard

If they can survive with slow-developing word-of-mouth, I'm good with it. It's nice to have an option that's not slammed with dudebros.

11. Default Re: The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    If they can survive with slow-developing word-of-mouth, I'm good with it. It's nice to have an option that's not slammed with dudebros.
    Dudebros... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    100% agree. Bleu is great but that crowd is something else, especially at peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They would benefit from at least social media promotion.
    It's amazing how many local businesses fail without even trying to promote themselves on free social media platforms.

Or (to be restaurant-specific) putting up a free website with their menu and hours and phone number on it. C'mon y'all, it's 17 years into the 21st century, get with it!

16. Default Re: The Yard

Oh...so they DO have social media..?

Just having social media accounts doesn't cut it anymore. You need promotions. Share contests, tag another friend contests, 'mention this post' for a free X tonight. Snapchat filters, trivia hosts, good specials, buckets, big time sporting event watch parties with deals. I feel so many owners are worried about making money right after opening, that they forget to get people there in the first place. You must build a clientele in this competitive, vastly expanding restaurant and bar sector of OKC.

If you want to see an example of someone who did it right, look @ Kong's marketing. They went viral on a local social media level and now everyone knows where the big gorilla out front is.

Opening your door and saying "Hey, look we have $4 beer" doesn't cut it anymore. And that's a great thing.

Nobody said they didn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Just having social media accounts doesn't cut it anymore. You need promotions. Share contests, tag another friend contests, 'mention this post' for a free X tonight. Snapchat filters, trivia hosts, good specials, buckets, big time sporting event watch parties with deals. I feel so many owners are worried about making money right after opening, that they forget to get people there in the first place. You must build a clientele in this competitive, vastly expanding restaurant and bar sector of OKC.

If you want to see an example of someone who did it right, look @ Kong's marketing. They went viral on a local social media level and now everyone knows where the big gorilla out front is.

Opening your door and saying "Hey, look we have $4 beer" doesn't cut it anymore. And that's a great thing.
    Is Kong's successful? I've never been and never had any friends suggest it. It's highly probable that I'm not the target audience, haha.

20. Default Re: The Yard

Lots of dudebros at Kongs. But since I have enjoyed it when I have gone I guess I'm a dudebro too.

I know it's easy to criticize them, but unfortunately the dudebros bring the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Lots of dudebros at Kongs. But since I have enjoyed it when I have gone I guess I'm a dudebro too.

I know it's easy to criticize them, but unfortunately the dudebros bring the $$$.
    What is the definition of "dudebro"?

Blog Entries

I think it might be a nicer term for duchebag?

23. Default Re: The Yard

MY definition is a guy of any age who: gets too drunk to fast, can't just sit and relax, loud and obnoxious, takes lots of shots, and tries to be buddies with everyone at the bar, ESP in the line for the bathroom.

Which is not me.

Blog Entries

You haven't convinced me yet that it's not a nicer term for douchebag....

25. Default Re: The Yard

It's the PC term for douchebag

Thread Information