Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recent trip to Dallas

renffahcs Guest

Default Re: Recent trip to Dallas

Patrick, I am glad to see you and some of the OKCTalk folks join the Dallas Forum. I think it would be a good thing to have ties between the two cities with discussions about both. As seen on both forums there are many people who have lived and have ties to both places. If interested there is also a specific Fort Worth Forum as well. Might be nice to get specific info on whats going on on the other side of DFW. http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by renffahcs
    Patrick, I am glad to see you and some of the OKCTalk folks join the Dallas Forum. I think it would be a good thing to have ties between the two cities with discussions about both. As seen on both forums there are many people who have lived and have ties to both places. If interested there is also a specific Fort Worth Forum as well. Might be nice to get specific info on whats going on on the other side of DFW. http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php
    Wow, thanks for the information. I'll definitely check out both forums. Since I struggle budgeting time for this forum, I may just be a reader on the others for awhile, like I am with Tulsanow.

I think we can learn from each other. Obviously Dallas has a lot more to offer than OKC, but OKC offers a small city feel that Dallas really can't provide. I think both cities have their place. I'm sure if I grew up in Dallas, I'd probably think OKC was too small! lol! Anyways, I think we can exchange ideas and have a positive influence on each other. Truth is, both of our cities need work! Always have, always will! It's just you guys are a little further along than we are, and I suppose OKC is a little further along than Tulsa!

renffahcs Guest

I don't know a city anywhere that doesn't need much work. I tend to be like you and lean towards more mid-size to smaller cities although it is nice to have a Dallas closeby to catch a football, basketball, etc.

4. Default Re: Recent trip to Dallas

Dallas is ranked no1 city for crime rate. I heard that one high school studnet shoot other people during party yesterday. he blew out other party people, because they asked him leave party. he was not invited and he blew out the party with his gun. It's really dangerous city. Dallas is kind of large and big city. However, its buildings are shorter compare to Midwest cities.

I-35 South is kind of dangerous road and people drive cars dangerously. Many accidents are occured on the road.

renffahcs Guest

This unfortunately is true and is a huge black eye for the city. Seems like there is a murder in Dallas every few days. This is the most serious problem that needs to be tackled. Among cities over 1mil in pop. Dallas is worst by far. This includes Houston, SANAN, NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc.

Patrick, are you sure you were not in Detroit? you described it to a tee. Ugly, crowded, dirty, but I bet Dallas does not have potholes big enough to swallow an Excursion. I would like to see Dallas myself. I have a freind that lives in Houston and HATES it, so I would not even think of living there. I have never been to L.A, and dont even want to go.

7. Default Re: Recent trip to Dallas

I have family that lives in Tarrant County in the city of Bedford. I haven't really been in the area during a weekday, but I really think it is night and day in terms of traffic between Dallas and Fort Worth. I think OKC and Fort Worth are more alike in a lot of aspects. They are similar in population. If you take away Arlington from the FW MSA, The metro population is nearly the same. Arlington is basically a city by itself with over 300,000.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

^
    ^ Oh, sounds like another Dallas v.s. Houston flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    ^
    ^ Oh, sounds like another Dallas v.s. Houston flame war.
    I do not detect this. Please explain.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mariner62
    I have a freind that lives in Houston and HATES it, so I would not even think of living there.
    It is not a "war" but this friend is obviously caught up in the infamous Dallas v.s. Houston flame war, which is x10 that of the Texas v.s. Oklahoma flame wars that have reared their ugly heads on other forums.

I've seen many wars.

It is not a "war" but this friend is obviously caught up in the infamous Dallas v.s. Houston flame war, which is x10 that of the Texas v.s. Oklahoma flame wars that have reared their ugly heads on other forums.

I've seen many wars.

No, she just hates Houston, but her job keeps her there, which is understandable, as much as I hate Detroit, my job keeps me here.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Well, as one educated in a fine Houston institution, it is one of few American cities with nothing wrong with it. You will find grit, yet it is not abundant, and I also think the nation's wealthiest zip code is in Downtown Houston.

Is the River Oaks still in the Top 5 as well? She must be against the upper class not to like Houston. And she must be against hot, humid soggy summers to despise such a beautiful city. In fact, the climate is the only thign wrong with it.

Well, as one educated in a fine Houston institution, it is one of few American cities with nothing wrong with it. You will find grit, yet it is not abundant, and I also think the nation's wealthiest zip code is in Downtown Houston.

Is the River Oaks still in the Top 5 as well? She must be against the upper class not to like Houston. And she must be against hot, humid soggy summers to despise such a beautiful city. In fact, the climate is the only thign wrong with it.

She is kinda high maintanance, and upper class. I did have another freind that was a cop in Houston though that could not wait to get out of there, he moved to Fort Lauderdale. I guess I would take Houston over Detroit, Chicago, New York, L.A, etc., anytime.

14. Default Re: Recent trip to Dallas

That is nothing but opinion. I agree on the weather, but not the rest. Personally, I do not like the attitude of the deep south which Houston is. There are other reasons also.

xrayman Guest

Well, as one educated in a fine Houston institution, it is one of few American cities with nothing wrong with it.
    Hummmm. Have we been to the same city?

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Rice Village?

^ That explains why you refuse to let OKC be called Southern.

And anywho, it is very high class. The east side has the only substantial ghetto, there is one up North, but it is not very big, and like Midtown OKC, it has some really great upper class neighborhoods that are more widespread than OKC's Midtown. The famous one is the Heights.

I'll post some pics of Downtown, Uptown, and the Med District. 3 of the skylines in Houston.

If you are looking for architecture, you have met your match in Houston. Nowhere will you find a faster growing city, with little or no grit, so many amazing skylines, and a low cost of living.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

We have pics. Now I am sure you will agree Houston, while not perfect, is not bad.

^ The main Downtown, last time I checked it was the World's 7th Largest.

^ Uptown Houston, often called the "Galleria" for the mall that is also here. The Houston Galleria is well known for one of the elite Neiman Marcus's and for being the nation's 5th largest mall. The largest in the Southern US.

The Texas Medical District, home to some of the best hospitals in the world. MD Anderson is among the best.

So. Houston offers many things that Dallas can not, andyet Dallas offers nothing that Houston can not. What does Houston offer, you ask? A thriving, trendy inner city, excellant universities (UT Med, Rice, U of Hou, and St. Thomas U) a tourist city (Galveston, Montrose, Museum Dist, Galleria), a safe low crime atmosphere, a year round growing season (but with side effects), and miles, andmiles of suburbs. Katy, Sugarland, and The Woodlands (suburbs) have all been called some of North America's best small towns to live in, just like our Edmond.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mariner62
    Patrick, are you sure you were not in Detroit? you described it to a tee. Ugly, crowded, dirty, but I bet Dallas does not have potholes big enough to swallow an Excursion. I would like to see Dallas myself. I have a freind that lives in Houston and HATES it, so I would not even think of living there. I have never been to L.A, and dont even want to go.
    LOL! Nah, it was Dallas. I will admit, most of the streets I drove across in Dallas seemed to be in pretty good shape. It was just the litter that was a turn off. But, I know we have the same problem here. I suppose Dallas has a bigger problem with it because they're a larger city.

I do praise our correctional system for putting the prisoners to work cleaning our highways. We need to do more of this.

[QUOTE=Patrick
    I do praise our correctional system for putting the prisoners to work cleaning our highways. We need to do more of this.[/QUOTE]

We need that here. With all the people that are in prison, there is no reason for our roads to be so littered up in Michigan.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

The Tex Med Dist. is the world's largest health complex, and the Galleria's Williams Tower is the world's tallest skyscraper not in a CBD.

Thread Information