Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

According to Georgia Encyclopedia - there were over 2million unique visitors to Atlanta during the 17 days of their games. Here is the link.
    http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-2042

Here is point that the article touches on. From the time the games are awarded there is only 6 years until the games begin. Not much time for all the construction that would need to take place.

What if we used DFW and installed a high speed train from DFW to OKC.

Well we should start the construction before we are awarded! LOL!

Here is another point:

"Private investment also came in the form of hotel construction as approximately 7,500 rooms were built between 1990 and the opening of the games.
    Olympic Village
    This brought the number of hotel rooms in the Atlanta area to more than 60,000."

It took Atlanta 6 years to add 7,500 rooms. We would have to add nearly 50,000 rooms to match the Atlanta total. At 10,000 rooms per year we would have to build more in one year than Atlanta did in 6.

Well, I bet that we won't even have the olympics in 2024. Too much tech. I really don't know. Good point though!

Did Burns Flat land that contract?

7. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

In Greece and Italy... mid rise and highrise condos were built in the olympic villages to house media and athletes. Many of the units were presold... the owners moved in after the olympics. We would also need to build hotels.

Athens was in horrible shape. Torino was decent. Do a search for all of the construction that took place in Torino... new airport, trainstation, venues, housing, hotels, etc. It is pretty amazing.
    We would need a lot of infrastructure, but I say bring it on. Torino has become the most modernized city in Italia... or atleast the part of Torino built for the Winter Games.

Ciao ciao.

I concur!

Torino was winter olympics - 1/10 the number of vistors, athletes, and media. Now if you want to discuss Oklahoma's chances of getting the Winter Olympics...

Salt Lake games drew 750,000 visitors. Here is the link: http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/03mar/02.htm

Interesting comment about the Olympic committee working with the trucking indsustry to reduce the number of rigs going through SLC. Could you imagine trying to close I-40 to truck traffic!

11. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Torino was the winter games? Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Torino was winter olympics - 1/10 the number of vistors, athletes, and media. Now if you want to discuss Oklahoma's chances of getting the Winter Olympics...
    Yeah, I have an idea for that down the road too.

Visit http://www.oresorts.com and then click on "Ouachita Lodge and Ski Resort."

Talk about a dreamer...

I agree with Kerry, talk of this at this point is silly.

Wait, that is in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    Wait, that is in Oklahoma?
    Heh heh, someday hopefully.

It's an idea that's been rattlin' around in my brain for several years now. I've created a web site as if it's real. However, the "business plan" link at the top of the page sort of outlines what can be done to get started on it.

Oh, good joke! Well I do hope it happens!

17. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

That's a good website Luke. It looks so real. My dad and I have joked about the idea of a ski area in the Ouachitas. It would require a lot of snowmaking!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    That's a good website Luke. It looks so real. My dad and I have joked about the idea of a ski area in the Ouachitas. It would require a lot of snowmaking!
    If Alabama and Georgia can do it, so can we!

19. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

There are ski areas in Alabama and Georgia?

20. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

& tennessee

Alabama has a ski area called Cloudmont Ski and Golf Resort (www.cloudmont.com) and Georgia has one called Sky Valley Resort (www.skyvalleynews.com). There is one in Tennessee called Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort http://www.obergatlinburg.com/

Yes, warmer climates can have ski resorts.

I have been to the Ober Gatlinburg. It was pretty neat and there is an amusement park at the top, but the can get up to 12’ feet of snow at the top of the Smokies. That place is TOO COOL. It is an awesome place to visit! Who would invest in the Oklahoma Resort? If I had millions to spare, I would do it. Maybe Bill Gates? lol

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    I have been to the Ober Gatlinburg. It was pretty neat and there is an amusement park at the top, but the can get up to 12’ feet of snow at the top of the Smokies. That place is TOO COOL. It is an awesome place to visit! Who would invest in the Oklahoma Resort? If I had millions to spare, I would do it. Maybe Bill Gates? lol
    Hey, if someone can build a the world's most recognized theme park on swamp land (Disney World) and the world's top entertainment destination in the middle of a desert (Las Vegas) then a ski resort can be built in Oklahoma.

24. Default Re: Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

touche

The Tahlihina Drive area would make for great skiing, if the snow could be created.

Thread Information