Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Last time I was there a couple of years ago, Shorty's was still good (we ended up there for my birthday as Toby Keiths was packed with a Thunder Girl audition event going on. It was as good as before and didn't have any problems (but haven't been back, just isn't someplace that we think of). But I know things can change.

I guess it counts as a resturant, but Wing Stop on SW 104th and Penn dissapointed me the most of any resturant. All I ordered was wings, fries and a drink. The fries had so much salt on them, that I could hold it up by the end and scrape salt off with my fingers. When I went to the counter and complained and asked for a replacement order of fries, I was told no. They then told me that those fries had been made for me and they could not make me another order. I told them there was no way I could eat these fries with so much salt on them. I complained through their website, but never heard back. I have never been back.

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird View Post
    I agree that Falcones has definitely gone down hill. The mayo comment... I agree that an Italian sub (the American version) doesn't use mayo. When I lived in Italy, I had to order sandwiches without mayo all the time.
    Thats interesting, when I lived in NJ, none of the Italian eatieries used mayo on any sub
    unless you specified you wanted it. Oil, Vinegar and oregano baby!

4. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

I went to cattlemans last night for the first time after watching a rerun of the OKC episode of man vs food. It was good but it wasn't this gamechanger restaurant that many have described it to be. plus my presidential t-bone steak wasn't as big as I hoped for either. Probably won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I went to cattlemans last night for the first time after watching a rerun of the OKC episode of man vs food. It was good but it wasn't this gamechanger restaurant that many have described it to be. plus my presidential t-bone steak wasn't as big as I hoped for either. Probably won't be back.
    My sentiments exactly. A grimey joint with dirty tables and Denny's steaks...did you get mugged on the way to your car? Best to be "packin'" when you leave there if the night canopy has fallen...

I found most of the places people rave about it in this city to be disappointing to say the least.

I noticed Primo's is starting to slide. I have yet to understand why they would let it slide. Especially when Olive Garden is there only real competition. I have found better italian food in the freezer case at the grocery store then what I found at Olive Garden.

Hideway was not the world's greatest pizza. It was good pizza but, I have had better from certain Pizza Hut's or Papa John's stores. Falcone's was the worst of all. Greasy and bad heartburn that took a bottle of tums to kill.

Nic's I tried to stand in line and just got impatient. If his burgers are that good, the least he could do is hire a few people and expand his establishment. He could still maintain the same quality control in a bigger location with more seating, cooks, servers/cashiers. Staying in that small of a place just tells me he is cheap. I can make a great burger on my back patio better then any place under the sun.

Cafe 7 was good but, had the same problem as Nic's. If your running out of tables on a regular basis it is time to expand or relocate. These days I do my best to stay away from the trendy eateries. When I feel like dining out, I eat at whatever is close by and fits the budget at the moment. I found good steaks at many places including IHOP. I love their t-bone steak and eggs with a side of hashbrowns. I eat the steak, mix the fried eggs with the hash browns. The pancakes serve as dessert. I don't go that often when I do that is one main things I order.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I found most of the places people rave about it in this city to be disappointing to say the least.

I noticed Primo's is starting to slide. I have yet to understand why they would let it slide. Especially when Olive Garden is there only real competition. I have found better italian food in the freezer case at the grocery store then what I found at Olive Garden.

Hideway was not the world's greatest pizza. It was good pizza but, I have had better from certain Pizza Hut's or Papa John's stores. Falcone's was the worst of all. Greasy and bad heartburn that took a bottle of tums to kill.

Nic's I tried to stand in line and just got impatient. If his burgers are that good, the least he could do is hire a few people and expand his establishment. He could still maintain the same quality control in a bigger location with more seating, cooks, servers/cashiers. Staying in that small of a place just tells me he is cheap. I can make a great burger on my back patio better then any place under the sun.

Cafe 7 was good but, had the same problem as Nic's. If your running out of tables on a regular basis it is time to expand or relocate. These days I do my best to stay away from the trendy eateries. When I feel like dining out, I eat at whatever is close by and fits the budget at the moment. I found good steaks at many places including IHOP. I love their t-bone steak and eggs with a side of hashbrowns. I eat the steak, mix the fried eggs with the hash browns. The pancakes serve as dessert. I don't go that often when I do that is one main things I order.
    The old Cellar Restaurant in the Hightower Building was the best the city ever had--been gone a long time. It was superb--top notch in every way...back in the day...

http://newsok.com/cellar-restaurant-...rticle/3436333

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post

Better pizza from a pizza hut or papa johns...? You cant be serious

And regarding Nics, who says he has to expand? Im guessing Nic will do whatever he wants to do with his restaurant since it is, you know, HIS restaurant. And Im not sure I call a man cheap because he doesnt want to relocate his busines. You really have no basis to call him that.

Also, why did you bother trying to go to Nics if you make the worlds best burger?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Better pizza from a pizza hut or papa johns...? You cant be serious

And regarding Nics, who says he has to expand? Im guessing Nic will do whatever he wants to do with his restaurant since it is, you know, HIS restaurant. And Im not sure I call a man cheap because he doesnt want to relocate his busines. You really have no basis to call him that.

Also, why did you bother trying to go to Nics if you make the worlds best burger?
    I totally agree. No business has any obligation to expand just because they are very busy. Many people like that business concept. No one is forced to wait in line. If you don't want to wait go elsewhere. I have been to many very nice upscale restaurants that had waits of 30 minutes or longer before being seated and if I wait that's a choice I can make or not make.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I totally agree. No business has any obligation to expand just because they are very busy. Many people like that business concept. No one is forced to wait in line. If you don't want to wait go elsewhere. I have been to many very nice upscale restaurants that had waits of 30 minutes or longer before being seated and if I wait that's a choice I can make or not make.
    +1

I've seen numerous restaurants lose their appeal when they expand and get to big. Depending on the menu, you cant simply add seats to feed more people. You also have to expand grill space, fryers, cold storage, dry storage and etc to keep up. Otherwise, you have people sitting in seats waiting on food instead of eating and moving on. Its simple queing theory...

I've also seen numerous resturants lose their appeal when they get greedy and start cutting back on quality of ingredients or portion sizes to make more profit.

11. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    +1

I've seen numerous restaurants lose their appeal when they expand and get to big. Depending on the menu, you cant simply add seats to feed more people. You also have to expand grill space, fryers, cold storage, dry storage and etc to keep up. Otherwise, you have people sitting in seats waiting on food instead of eating and moving on. Its simple queing theory...

I've also seen numerous resturants lose their appeal when they get greedy and start cutting back on quality of ingredients or portion sizes to make more profit.
    Nic's has actually looked to expand and the city has met with him on what he is legally able to do (which isn't much).

Personally, often it is small size and uniqueness that make an establishment so popular. You take Nic's and put it in some stripmall or big boxy type location and I think it instantly becomes less of an attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Personally, often it is small size and uniqueness that make an establishment so popular. You take Nic's and put it in some stripmall or big boxy type location and I think it instantly becomes less of an attraction.
    I agree. I've been eating at Jimmy's Egg for 30 years. While its easier to walk in and sit down at their big new resturants, I still prefer the counter at store #1 on 16th and N May.

13. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    I agree. I've been eating at Jimmy's Egg for 30 years. While its easier to walk in and sit down at their big new resturants, I still prefer the counter at store #1 on 16th and N May.
    Love that store! I've tried the one in MWC and the two in Edmond. None were nearly as good on any level.

Another example of expand-and-lose-what-made-you-special is Cocina de Mino. Their original location on SE 29th was fantastic and authentic. Then, they tried to replicate it all over town and it was never the same.

15. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Mom and I also went there for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It was nothing as it was hyped up to be on here and in commercials. They have a lot of work to be done on the interiors. Their menu is very limited and the desert selections is a joke. They do not have this orange dressing (dunno name) that mom wanted and didn't even have Ranch. Salads was also a joke that had mom to request several items to be brought out so she can enjoy her salad. Vegetables are extremely limited and they do not have the more common varieties. Basically both thumbs down for that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Mom and I also went there for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It was nothing as it was hyped up to be on here and in commercials. They have a lot of work to be done on the interiors. Their menu is very limited and the desert selections is a joke. They do not have this orange dressing (dunno name) that mom wanted and didn't even have Ranch. Salads was also a joke that had mom to request several items to be brought out so she can enjoy her salad. Vegetables are extremely limited and they do not have the more common varieties. Basically both thumbs down for that place.
    Cattleman's--proof positive advertising can make you show up anywhere to eat a mythical meal. Everyone is forgetting the gnarly itty-bitty burnt-out cinder of a baked potato they toss on your plate with that "tablespoon o' salad" sprinkled with the World-Famous half & half with onion powder dressing...and it'll be more than $20--even at lunch--for this snack...

There WAS a great Cattleman's Restaurant...down the street from the Adolphus in downtown Dallas...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Another example of expand-and-lose-what-made-you-special is Cocina de Mino. Their original location on SE 29th was fantastic and authentic. Then, they tried to replicate it all over town and it was never the same.
    +1

Piggys was never quite the same after they moved into the bigger building. It definetly lost something but I still miss it.

huh... i don't remember piggy's being anywhere other than where crabtown is currently. where were they previously? -M

20. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    huh... i don't remember piggy's being anywhere other than where crabtown is currently. where were they previously? -M
    I believe they used to be in the building next door where Bricktown Burgers is now. And yes, it was much better before they moved.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I believe they used to be in the building next door where Bricktown Burgers is now. And yes, it was much better before they moved.

That's where they were. And back then there was nothing else in Bricktown.

Wasn't the Spaghetti Warehouse already there? I'm not sure about that, just curious.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    That's where they were. And back then there was nothing else in Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Wasn't the Spaghetti Warehouse already there? I'm not sure about that, just curious.
    C. T.
    Not for a long time. There was nothing there except Piggy's and I think a railroad station of some sort across the street. Where the police station is now. It was only open for lunch because you didn't go there at night. Spaghetti Warehouse was one of the first to move in after Bricktown started being renovated but Piggy's was there long before that.

Thread Information