Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah why don we need two dillards
    Dillards usually buys an empty anchor space to split thier departments when an anchor moves out. They do that in a lot of malls thay have a presence in. Like in this case when Montgomery Ward went out of business Dillards moved thier mens childrens and home department in the old Wards anchor at Penn Square. Macy's does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Dillards usually buys an empty anchor space to split thier departments when an anchor moves out. They do that in a lot of malls thay have a presence in. Like in this case when Montgomery Ward went out of business Dillards moved thier mens childrens and home department in the old Wards anchor at Penn Square. Macy's does the same thing.
    It is true, they do that (and it was bad enough when the Dillards was split across the mall walkway) now parts of the store are on opposite ends of the mall. To much hassle for me. Want an entire store in one place.

The Hobby Lobby over in Mid-Del was structered that way, part of the store was at one end of the strip mall and the rest was at the other end. Made it difficult to find stuff as they often have things not neatly departmentalized and you wouldn't know which store to find the item.

SkyWestOKC, Ya beat me to it

but this highlight is worthy...
    Dick's Sporting Goods, Anthropologie, The Container Store, California Pizza Kitchen and LA Fitness are among the national names “that want to be here and are actively looking for sites,”

That would be cool if OKC gets a Dick's Sporting Goods.

Quote Originally Posted by z28james
    I like the made up maps for expansion and I want PSM to expand, but I am telling you it will never happen, you cant sacrifice that much parking. PSM would need to buy up some land or try and take 50 penn which wont happen.
    I also don't think it would happen, but all of the space you lost in surface parking, you could replace with structured parking. Just look at The Galleria in Dallas.

And for the people who like to flame PSM, its a good mall, gets great foot traffic, the people who are managing it are really trying hard to make it better and although the security looks like Paul Blart they really care about the property. It has most stores that you would would see in a larger market mall. The mall is waiting for the "less desirable" stores leases to end, they are not going to kick out paid leases in this economy. Nu Trendz is an eyesore believe me, but until that lease is up they are staying.
    Nue Trendz is a temporary month to month lease, until they get final deals worked out on the permanent tenant, which at times can take months, sometimes years for the right tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah why don we need two dillards
    Because what they're offering is what they'd offer in one of their flagship stores. Only it's much cheaper to use 2 existing 2 level anchor spaces than demolish existing space and build a new 3-4 level flagship store.

Quote Originally Posted by stdennis View Post
    Yeah the structured parking would have to be a requirement and probably a Phase 1. Expanding Dillards would be a phase 2. The rest of the mall would have to be the 3rd phase. I don't know how many malls have a loop layout and dont know how well it would work.
    Northpark Center in Dallas has a loop layout and does fairly well with its 200+ stores, some of the finest found anywhere. By far the nicest mall in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    It is true, they do that (and it was bad enough when the Dillards was split across the mall walkway) now parts of the store are on opposite ends of the mall. To much hassle for me. Want an entire store in one place.

The Hobby Lobby over in Mid-Del was structered that way, part of the store was at one end of the strip mall and the rest was at the other end. Made it difficult to find stuff as they often have things not neatly departmentalized and you wouldn't know which store to find the item.
    Not sure what's so confusing about the way Dillards at Penn Square is split up. Dillards west is an all women's store. Dillards east is mens, children's, and home.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    That would be cool if OKC gets a Dick's Sporting Goods.
    They're looking at the old Sportsman's warehouse space on Memorial by Quail Springs Mall.

If PSM were to expand, this is probably more realistic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSM.JPG 
Views:	716 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	655

That would be a good area for Dicks as I said on another thread the closest sporting goods store in that area is in Edmond. As for PSM I agree with Patrick on PSM expansion.

13. Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    They're looking at the old Sportsman's warehouse space on Memorial by Quail Springs Mall.
    The lifestyle center that was going to be south of Memorial had already signed Dick's and announced it when they announced the development. So, it's obvious they've been wanting in this market for a while.

Somebody will grab the Ballenger's location at the old CompUSA location. That whole area has really been a hot spot for national retailers/franchisees. Speaking of, the new Chick-fil-A has been a blockbuster. They told me they were informed it's been one of the most successful openings in their history. I hope Dave & Busters has a similar success down the road when they open.

I love Penn Square but have just about quit shopping there due to the traffic. That parking lot is a nightmare. And this coming from someone who has shopped there since 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    I love Penn Square but have just about quit shopping there due to the traffic. That parking lot is a nightmare. And this coming from someone who has shopped there since 1969.
    I agree that the design and traffic flow leave a lot to be desired but I've been there a couple of times in the last week which is the busiest time of the year and had no major issues with parking or driving. I usually enter the area going south on Penn from 63rd and that always seems to be the easiest.

Not sure what's so confusing about the way Dillards at Penn Square is split up. Dillards west is an all women's store. Dillards east is mens, children's, and home.
    Didn't say the Dillards split was confusing, just too much of a hassle if you need to go to departments that are in different stores.

The confusing part was with the Hobby Lobby example because you never knew which store an item might be in.

The same people that complain about parking at Penn Square are probably the same people that complain about parking in Bricktown. There's always parking in the parking garage in the back. The people that have problems with parking at PSM are those that want to park out front or on some fo the surface parking closer to the building, i.e., the west side of the building.

The same people that complain about parking at Penn Square are probably the same people that complain about parking in Bricktown. There's always parking in the parking garage in the back. The people that have problems with parking at PSM are those that want to park out front or on some fo the surface parking closer to the building, i.e., the west side of the building.
    Just to clarify - I said I hated the TRAFFIC in the parking lot. I don't have any trouble with the parking, itself. And just so you know, I always park either on the north or in the parking garage.

Dicks sportings goods blows.. Bring in an REI or Fry's Electronics... I've seen a REI in several malls they go over VERY WELL.

I hope Dicks does come to OKC. Somebody needs to give Academy some competition. They are really the only game in town.

From Newsok.com:

Penn Square bookstore to close
    Published: December 30, 2010

WINDOW SHOPPING

Penn Square bookstore to close

Waldenbooks inside Penn Square Mall is closing. It is the last remaining Waldenbooks store in the metro area. Waldenbooks, owned by Borders, is closing stores nationwide, according to a mall spokeswoman. A call to Borders Group on Wednesday wasn't immediately returned. A national retailer exclusive to the mall will replace the bookstore, the mall spokeswoman said. Because negotiations are ongoing, she wasn't able to release the retailer's name.

http://newsok.com/penn-square-bookst...#ixzz19cvNYbyb

This comment is interesting: "national retailer exclusive to the mall". So it's not going to be a Forever 21, as there are already locations at Quail Springs and Sooner. Wonder if Anthropologie is going to move in. With the location, I wouldn't be surprised if American Eagle opens one of their Aerie stores, as that wing has become pretty teen-young adult oriented with stores like Justice, Hot Topic, and Wet Seal all right there in the same area. Still holding out for an Anthropologie.

That space is too small for Anthropologie....I hope. Unless they're going to open a small store and wait for something bigger to open up. I would think they would want more exposure as well. That's one of the lesser traveled parts of the mall. And I am still hearing they're going in somewhere on the Curve.

I have to admit, it would be nice to see them put both an Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie in Classen Curve. Seems like most of Anthropologie's stores are in lifestyle centers anyways.

I altered the drawing by St. Dennis somewhat. See what you guys think of this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSM1.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	659

Thread Information