Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

ALL streetcar!

Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I skipped over all the replies to make sure my idea was original. Kinda hard to do when you're looking for the end using only your peripheral vision!

Here's my idea: Put it toward fire & police/emergency services. That way all the anti Maps 3 whinos will quit griping and the rest of us can be comfortable knowing that we should be protected a little bit better from all the bad that happens.

3. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

It doesn't hurt that debt service is covered, not by sales-tax revenue, but by the city's small cut of the county property tax (usually in the vicinity of 16 mills). Property taxes aren't soaring, unless you just bought a house, but they didn't flatline the way sales taxes did.

And some sort of theatre at the Devon HQ.

OKC is desperate for a vibrant business community and needs to figure out how to keep talent from moving to Dallas. I like the idea of supporting new startups but also funding a business incubator in downtown and mentor/guide program to help young businesses avoid failure.

A real amphitheatre like this. Those aren't much more than the water stage at the MBG.
    http://www.vzwamp.com/

Complete the still unfinished Canal that was started with the original MAPS.

Mayor Norrick stressed in an "open letter to the voters" before the election that it was essential that the Canal link the Convention Center to Bricktown to the River. He repeated the thought during the 10 anniversary and announced possible expansion plans for the Canal (connectivity is crucial).

We only got the middle segment (no beginning, no end). Reportedly the $3M(?) "extension" to connect to the River is funded under the 2007 General Obligation Bond issue but isn't scheduled to be done until 2018(?). The extensions really need to physically connect with the existing canal. According to the rendering that was in the Oklahoman, the River segment comes close to connecting but misses it by "that much". If there is any money left over after finishing the originally promised Canal, additional extensions (as proposed before MAPS 3 was announced could be considered as well ($25M)

The City/Chamber has said repeatedly that everything that was promised under MAPS happened "exactly as they said it would". It is far past time to rectify that.

WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM somewhere DOWNTOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM somewhere DOWNTOWN.
    Adventure District. It'd be out of place downtown...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Adventure District. It'd be out of place downtown...
    Yep - the way the Florida Aquarium is out of place in downtown Tampa, or the way the Georgia Aquarium is out of place in downtown Atlanta, or the way the Shed Aquarium is out of place in downtown Chicago, or the way the Tennessee Aquarium is out of place in downtown Chattanooga, or the way.... well, you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Yep - the way the Florida Aquarium is out of place in downtown Tampa, or the way the Georgia Aquarium is out of place in downtown Atlanta, or the way the Shed Aquarium is out of place in downtown Chicago, or the way the Tennessee Aquarium is out of place in downtown Chattanooga, or the way.... well, you get the point.
    Bad example. I've been to Chicago. It's not in downtown, it's on the lake front. So you got 3 out of 4. BRAVO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Bad example. I've been to Chicago. It's not in downtown, it's on the lake front. So you got 3 out of 4. BRAVO!!!
    Shed is certainly downtown, it's just in the park on the lake. A bunch of downtown Chicago is on the lake.

Yeah your probably right.. Adventure District would be okay too.. I just want to see a really nice aquarium in OKC.

For true quality of life improvements...

A complete overhaul of Lake Hefner public spaces:

Add more trees, walking trails, biking trails, centralized and peripheral parking, and infrastructure for some truly unique facilities like high/medium/low intensity mountain biking, kayaking pools, radio control boat and wildlife areas, outdoor amphitheater for plays and concerts.

Think central park meets breckenridge meets windsurfing lagoon meets new surprises around every walking trail bend.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...76818&t=h&z=14

Cid

Cid, how do you have high intensity mountain biking when we have no mountains in OKC, I get the low and even medium intensity, but for high intensity you have to have some reason to go to Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Cid, how do you have high intensity mountain biking when we have no mountains in OKC, I get the low and even medium intensity, but for high intensity you have to have some reason to go to Colorado.
    A trail running up and down the back side of the Hefner dam might be a start. *shrug*

Complete the Landrun Monument as Originally Proposed

When announced, there were to be 77 statues (one representing each county). That number got cut back to 45 and the last article I read said that it has been cut to 38 (4/14/08)

This is a very worthwhile project and if you haven't seen it yet, even scaled back to the existing pieces, very impressive (would be even more impressive if the City hadn't allowed the irrigation system to fall into disrepair and the surrounding landscaping to be about 2/3 of what was planted).

18. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

Honestly..if we're going to spend the $25 mil of public funds, perhaps the best reason why a development loan fund is the best idea is that it would turn the $25 mil into much more by requiring majority matches from other sources, and being paid back in 8 years. Plus I am tired of the overwhelming majority of "downtown investment" being public projects. We need to ramp up PRIVATE investment.

Spartan,

You make good points and as long as the LOANS are exactly as you have described I don't have any problems with it. My only concern is that traditionally that isn't the format the City has used.

My suggestions have more to do with "promises made, promises kept" more than anything else.

20. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I was never that excited about the Land Run Monument in the first place, and I still consider it a waste of money honestly, and a bad location--but hopefully I will think differently in a few years. Let's look at all the civic projects we have underway downtown..

Projects planned or underway and already funded:

I-40 Crosstown Expressway
    Ford Center renovations
    Cox Center renovations
    New convention center
    Myriad Garden renovations
    Project 180
    New downtown park
    New downtown boulevard
    OG+E substation (apparently the 8th MAPS project)
    Oklahoma River cruises
    Oklahoma River improvements
    OCU Boathouse
    OU Boathouse
    UCO Boathouse
    Land Run Monument
    Downtown streetcar
    Bricktown Canal extension
    Police HQ
    City Hall public art
    Downtown elementary
    Classen Drive extention
    Film Row streetscape
    American Indian Cultural Center
    Medical Business District Red Cross bldg site
    And more

Should I even bring up the Medical District?

Point is...how about some private development, what more do we have to do to "spur" private development with public projects?

Spartan,

Have you seen the Landrun Monument? I agree it isn't advertised the best and it was placed in the wrong place, but public art IS one of the functions that Government should subsidize (IMO). Gov subsidies of private, for profit businesses I don't agree with (development loans where the City is guaranteed to get a rate on return as you described is ok).

Not everything in your list has been funded: Boulevard (0%) and Land Run Monument (partially funded). Aren't the Boathouses mostly privately funded? Isn't the American Indian Cultural Center mostly State funded (and funding has fallen short). Point here isn't to nit-pick but to point out that some of those are the private developments you are talking about, aren't they?

Again, I am not advocating any new, additional projects, just completing the ones we started. Any new ones need to wait for MAPS 4, 5, 6....(in answer to your question "what more do we have to do to "spur" private development with public projects?", that will be the emphasis of those MAPS pitches. We will have to "continue the momentum" yet once again. That goes back to one of the arguments during MAPS 3, will the private economic development that we are still attributing to the original MAPS come to a halt if it hadn't passed? Depending on which set of Chamber numbers you believe has been $2 to $5 BILLION. Yet somehow we needed another round of public projects.

22. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

The Chamber report was including a huge amount of government projects, probably at least half of the total. And I was careful to say civic projects, not city projects, not state projects. I just mean that they are not exactly private development.

I am ready to test the downtown market with some actual real estate, but in order to do that, we need to get some real estate deals going.

fair enough...

If the $25 million were made available in the near future I would propose that it be temporarily loaned to MAPS for the purpose of jump starting the completion of the river projects. OKC is on the cusp of becoming the premier rowing venue in the world and completing these projects would accelerate and solidify that recognition. Additionally, the white water rafting course could become a prime recreational venue for a substantial segment of our community, plus I can envision it becoming a significant draw from the entire region. The rowing aspect of the projects should bring in more national and world events which equates to additional spending and sales tax dollars. When the funds become available from MAPS the dollars advanced would be paid back and redirected to other quality of life uses.

Hire back the Police, Fire and numerous city workers recently laid off to support the infrastructure that the city needs for future growth! Are you all serious? Aquatics, rafting, boats.......you've gotta be sh**#$ me.

Thread Information