Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

Solitude: Read all your stuff. My response is SO WHAT!!!! Everybody knows that the INDIANA PACERS play in INDIANAPOLIS and the UTAH JAZZ play in SALT LAKE CITY, MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES play in MINNEAPOLIS Get REAL

Of all the things that matter, this isn't one of them, at least not to me.
    To think Oklahoma city gets nada publicity unless the team name is OKC strikes me as just one more verse ina we ain't good nuf chorus, where no matter what, there's gotta be something downsideed if it involves oklahoma at all.

Today is a happy day, or should be, for anyone in the state who likes roundball, whether you call OKC home, or Edmond, or bethany, or Yukon or Hollis and Slapout or even the hamlet of Kenton or Snow

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Solitude: Read all your stuff. My response is SO WHAT!!!! Everybody knows that the INDIANA PACERS play in INDIANAPOLIS and the UTAH JAZZ play in SALT LAKE CITY, MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES play in MINNEAPOLIS Get REAL
    All cities that hardly need exposure. We know they are there because the cities are already in another tier.

Here is exactly what David Stern said in regards to OKC/OK. From the transcript:

-------------------------
    QUESTION: You've mentioned a number of times the importance of Tulsa's buy in to this plan to bring the NBA to Oklahoma City. Based on that, would you have a preference would you like to see this team be called Oklahoma City or Oklahoma? Does it matter to you?

COMMISSIONER DAVID STERN: I'm going to leave that to the politics of Oklahoma. I would guess that the current group would be under significant incentive and pressure to make it an Oklahoma franchise, and that would be a good thing.

But I wouldn't want to put any undue pressure on the ownership group. Although, there was a lot of discussion about the market size of Tulsa; its accessibility to Oklahoma City, and its support of many events in Oklahoma City, and the mayor was there to speak in favor of the application.

So there was some discussion in our meeting about what the actual size of the market is, whether it's simply the Oklahoma City market, or whether you add the additional numbers from Tulsa and it's suburbs, you really see a much larger market than just the Oklahoma City market.
    -------------------------------

Emphasis, of course, is mine. Ron Thulin, who worked with Stern, said NO WAY would David Stern say something like that if it were going to be different. He says he runs the NBA with an iron fist (which Thulin thinks is exactly what the NBA needed to bring the thuggery under control) and he would never have said he would "leave it to Oklahoma," and then proceed to say what he thinks unless what he thinks is how it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    That's not the point. I just talked to Linda at Mayor Mick's office and she admitted she didn't know where the New Jersey Nets play. If this was sold as something MORE than just bringing a basketball team to OKC, but about raising the profile of Oklahoma City - then it is a VERY big deal as to what it's named.

Clay Bennett knows now it will be Oklahoma. The little tripping over words with his comment about the new name wasn't an accident. (If channel 9 described it right - I missed that wouldn't you know.)

It matters.
    Do you know where the Indiana Pacers play?

It will still be a big push for OKC whether it is "OKC ________" or "Oklahoma ________." When it shows the shots of the skyline on ESPN etc. it will say OKC not Oklahoma. It will be the Bricktown area with the canal water taxis and shots of the Devon boats cruising up and down the river. This will show people there are some aspects of OKC that they didn't expect and will benefit the city not the state. The name being Oklahoma minus City is a small price to pay for the huge benefits OKC is going to gain IMHO.

6. Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

I'm going to leave that to the politics of Oklahoma.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by dalelakin View Post
    Do you know where the Indiana Pacers play?

It will still be a big push for OKC whether it is "OKC ________" or "Oklahoma ________." When it shows the shots of the skyline on ESPN etc. it will say OKC not Oklahoma. It will be the Bricktown area with the canal water taxis and shots of the Devon boats cruising up and down the river. This will show people there are some aspects of OKC that they didn't expect and will benefit the city not the state. The name being Oklahoma minus City is a small price to pay for the huge benefits OKC is going to gain IMHO.
    Jbrown already made these points. I'l ask you, Dale: Did you dream the team would be anything other than "Oklahoma City" during the Big League City campaign? Be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    I'm going to leave that to the politics of Oklahoma.
    That's a quote taken out of context as he then proceeded to give his opinion ("Oklahoma") and actually said they had discussions about it.

We'll see.

BTW, Note what he didn't say. He didn't say what Mick Cornett said; he didn't even say, "I assume it's going to be Oklahoma City - that's where the team is moving." Mick Cornett is fighting a gallant fight. Let's help him! Letters to PBC, emails to Bennett, Letters To The Editor, etc.

Blog Entries

Mayor Mick has put that to rest. It will be OKlahoma City which already favors the state name.

I heard that a group in Tulsa is looking into the feasibility of getting an NHL franchise and will probably use the analogy that OKC is part of one major media market (Oklahoma City-Tulsa). In that case, I would call the NHL franchise in Tulsa, the Oklahoma ( ? ).

Agree that this does nothing to highlight Oklahoma City if the team is called Oklahoma.

If Tulsa gets an NHL franchise down the line, and they wanted to called it Tulsa "whatever," they will be eligible for state incentives; however, The NBA in OKC and all our efforts is to enhance Oklahoma City image and Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Mayor Mick has put that to rest. It will be OKlahoma City which already favors the state name.

I heard that a group in Tulsa is looking into the feasibility of getting an NHL franchise and will probably use the analogy that OKC is part of one major media market (Oklahoma City-Tulsa). In that case, I would call the NHL franchise in Tulsa, the Oklahoma ( ? ).

Agree that this does nothing to highlight Oklahoma City if the team is called Oklahoma.

If Tulsa gets an NHL franchise down the line, and they wanted to called it Tulsa "whatever," they will be eligible for state incentives; however, The NBA in OKC and all our efforts is to enhance Oklahoma City image and Oklahoma.
    Laramie - Read the thread! Mayor Mick is using assumption and his bully pulpit to lobby for it being called, "Oklahoma City." His way of doing that is to state publicly he is committed to it being called "Oklahoma City." I, and others, have said that Mayor Mick is as worried as anyone else. He understands the importance for our city's basketball team to be branded as Oklahoma City. That's BIG LEAGUE. The country hears "Oklahoma" all the time in sports news from the success of the Sooners.

Jbrown already made these points. I'l ask you, Dale: Did you dream the team would be anything other than "Oklahoma City" during the Big League City campaign? Be honest.
    Yes I am guilty of posting before reading the entire thread. No I would have thought it would be OKC in all honesty. I still stand by the fact that people are going to see parts of OKC that will surprise them and hopefully intrigue them reaping benefit to OKC not the state of Oklahoma. I do understand your frustration with "City" being dropped from the way it was hyped in the 3/4 vote. I just see it as a moot point when considering the exposure was always in my mind from the shots of the city itself on the national coverage games that was going to give the notariaty not simply the name.*shrug*

My old "Get ready For OKLAHOMA _______" thread was met with a lot of "are you crazy" comments. Today, we have the NBA commish Stern saying he would encourage and believes the ownership group will name the team "OKLAHOMA". He said it was a topic of conversation, market size versus including Tulsa, etc. was discussed, and I don't believe Stern would have said that if he didn't KNOW it will be called "Oklahoma." So much for "Big League City" and hearing "Oklahoma City" on the sports every night during basketabll season. Hell, people have heard "Oklahoma" on the sports for years with the Sooners success. This would NOT give Oklahoma City the "Big league status" we wanted. As someone has said many times - how many people know where the New Jersey Nets Play?

This is a BAD deal. I am, frankly, angry - as this is what I thought Oklahoma CITY needed and why I ended up voting "Yes" on March 4th.
    I never thought you were crazy. In fact, your one of the sane ones around here. I have always thought that in the end you would be exactly right. Looks like my conspiracy theory may end up as reality also. No doubt, that in the end, you and I may end up being wrong. And I hope we are. Crow don't taste that bad if you don't chew it too long.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidRed View Post
    And why should it be Oklahoma City? I know the sales tax vote but remember that many people besides residence of OKC pay that tax. And the State has just given the team a free ride on taxation. This team will need all the support it can get.

I love the name "Oklahoma Roadunner" btw. BEEP BEEP for a rally call would be unique to say the least. Make a good looking mascot too. Can see a slim roadrunner for a live mascot. Have a little sexiness to it....lol
    I thought there were 5 players on a BB team.

I think it would be fine if a few games were played in Tulsa too. But that's just me.
    Don't forget Enid, Ponca City, Lawton, and Gotebo

You make some good points. Maybe that's why I said negligible, but those are good points. But honestly, did you ever dream of it being anything but Oklahoma City when you went to vote on March 4th? Especially after all the discussion here on OKCTalk about what it brings to the CITY? I remember few - if any - discussions about its impact on the state and how we'll be promoting the state. It was all about a big league city. The name goes a long way further towards that goal than the newspaper dateline. Though, as I said, those are valid points that, at the least, there will be some exposure for us as a city.
    If you go back to my posts you will find I stated it was going to be good for the whole state. I think the more support you get for the team the better chance the team has for success. I still feel that people in OKC think since the vote was made by them that only people living in OKC will be paying the tax. That's far from reality. I live in Edmond and buy much of my things in OKC thus paying taxes. I'm sure I'm not unique.

Whatever the decision I will support it. But I think people who only want OKC on the name are much to do about nothing. Let's get together and feel good for what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    I thought there were 5 players on a BB team.
    And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Also, I disagree with your opinion that we would lose our Oklahoma City publicity.

Even if it's not in the name, the commentators are still going to say "we're back here in OKC for the big Sonics-Mavs match up..." and they're still going to show footage of Oklahoma City before they go to breaks. And the leads on those AP articles are still going to say "OKLAHOMA CITY -- Fans cheered on Kevin Durant blah blah..."
    I got to get me one of those crystal balls. Where can I find one?

And your point is?
    Roadrunners, thats all

The DOK says Oklahoma City:

"Oklahoma City already has covered their bases though, including in the letter of intent with the team that the "team shall formally include 'Oklahoma City' in its registered name.'

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett was fairly stern about his feelings on the subject, too: ""It will be the Oklahoma City whatevers. It will be Oklahoma City. I care much less about the second half of the name. I'll let other people determine the nickname of the team, but it will be Oklahoma City."

Sonics chairman Clay Bennett agreed.

"Our view is that the team should be named Oklahoma City. But it will be an Oklahoma asset. It will be marketed statewide and we believe it will be supported statewide."

Bennett said there is no pressure on ownership group to make the team Oklahoma as opposed to Oklahoma City."

20. Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

sweet.

I don't know which 'letter of intent' the Oklahoman is referring to, but the letter dated March 14 doesn't make any mention of a team name as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The DOK says Oklahoma City:

"Oklahoma City already has covered their bases though, including in the letter of intent with the team that the "team shall formally include 'Oklahoma City' in its registered name.'

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett was fairly stern about his feelings on the subject, too: ""It will be the Oklahoma City whatevers. It will be Oklahoma City. I care much less about the second half of the name. I'll let other people determine the nickname of the team, but it will be Oklahoma City."

Sonics chairman Clay Bennett agreed.

"Our view is that the team should be named Oklahoma City. But it will be an Oklahoma asset. It will be marketed statewide and we believe it will be supported statewide."

Bennett said there is no pressure on ownership group to make the team Oklahoma as opposed to Oklahoma City."
    I just read the article at NewsOK.com and believe me, I hope I have been proven wrong. I would eat several plates of crow - willingly and with a smile. With Bennett saying this in his own words, it's hard to argue otherwise. Bring on the #3 Crow Platter w/cheese.

23. Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

Portland and Dallas... sounds about right.

As far as Sterns comments on naming. I believe Stern believes that if it's "Oklahoma ______" that we'll have a rallying support of the entire state, no just Oklahoma City. But I believe that Oklahoma CITY should be in the name, for the simple fact that it's OUR money that has been invested.

24. Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

I would eat several plates of crow -
    Solitude, it's okay, everything is up in the air right now. No one really knows what is happening with anything.

I'm just thrilled that we've gotten this far.

When they come, we'll meet at a game and I'll buy you a beer. No crow for you.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

25. Default Re: NBA approves SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City

I'm glad to finally see a Seattle reporter tell it like it really is (even those he calls us the "Raiders" like we were a bunch of pirates):

Jerry Brewer | We dropped the ball | Seattle Times Newspaper

We dropped the ball
    By Jerry Brewer

Times staff Columnist

Inevitability has never felt this jarring. For months, this day loomed on the calendar, the result loomed as a certainty, and sadness loomed as the foregone emotion.

Still, when Friday's verdict arrived, when the NBA Board of Governors approved the Oklahoma Raiders' request to move the Sonics, it felt shocking.

A jab that we could see coming for nearly two years seemed more like a roundhouse to the back of the head.

And it hurts, hurts more thoroughly than anticipated.

The Raiders aren't halfway out of the door with our team. They're halfway out of the time zone. Now that the NBA has made this foolish and shortsighted decision, the major lingering question is how long Seattle wants to delay its misery.

Actually, even the present is miserable. The city is suing to keep the Raiders in their KeyArena lease for two more years, but if it wins, it means two excruciating lame-duck seasons, with only scant hope that the bought time will lead to a miracle rescue.

Our next-best hope: Another lawsuit, this one by former owner Howard Schultz, who wants the team back because he claims the Raiders conned him.

Maybe I should sue Clay Bennett because he glared at me once.

At the end, all we have left is nuisance litigation.

It should remind us why we're approaching this bitter conclusion. From the beginning of this threat, most of our elected leaders, especially in the State Legislature, have put up a lame effort to defend the city's professional basketball legacy. And so it's only fitting that we're throwing up wild, desperate heaves in the final seconds.

Our leaders made it easy for the Raiders to quit pretending like they wanted to keep the team here. State lawmakers squashed the late-save attempt by Steve Ballmer's group, claiming the move was tardy, when the group had been talking to several state officials for quite some time. When unity was required, our leaders remained disjointed. When thoughtful discourse was appropriate, they carried on with a mindless disregard for a solution.

Because the Raiders are the most dangerous characters in this process, the focus always stays on them. It has taken heat off the failings of our own leadership.
    But on Friday, while listening to the ramblings of NBA commissioner David Stern and the lies of Bennett, it no longer seemed like evil was prevailing over good.

It was the organized beating the disorganized.

Many of us believe Stern and the Raiders conspired to steal the Sonics. Well, if it was a conspiracy, they had an excellent plan and executed it without fail. On the other side, we fought with nothing but fan hope and political posturing.

So it's no surprise who won this battle.

Many thanks to Paul Allen for voting no to the move and standing up for his city, but the owners passed the relocation request by a 28-2 margin.

While we were forced to listen to City Councilmember Nick Licata say the Sonics had no cultural value, the Raiders struck.

While we were forced to watch House Speaker Frank Chopp stomp on every proposal, the Raiders persisted.

While we were forced to watch Gov. Christine Gregoire stop trying far too early, the Raiders loaded up everything but Squatch in their U-Hauls.

They're on the road now. They're rolling. They're nearly unstoppable.

Until that first game in Oklahoma City, we must hold out hope for a miracle. Even if it's foolish, what's the harm? In between the sulking, we must have some activity to keep us occupied.

But, really, we have already lost the fight. We need Rocky Balboa to help us come back from this one.

It's sad that, to be such a sophisticated city, Seattle always requires last-second saves for its sports franchises. The miracle of 1995 saved the Mariners. The miracle of Paul Allen's bank account saved the Seahawks. But how many miracles can one town have?

At some point, a city — and a state — has to truly commit to the responsibilities of housing pro sports. It is a costly endeavor, but it is worthwhile. It brands a city. These new arenas or stadiums can spur a local economy, if planned correctly.

But losing a team hurts both the perception and entertainment value of a city. The most painful comment Friday came after a reporter asked Stern what it says to other NBA cities that Seattle is about to lose its team.

"Well, I guess since most of our cities, the great majority, have state-of-the-art facilities that enable their teams to compete in our league, I think it says congratulations to them," Stern said smugly.

In other words: Ha-ha, Seattle, you just lost your mojo to Oklahoma City.

Instead of a miracle, we watched Bennett strip the Sonics down to two rookies, throw a Francisco Elson on the floor and bide time for one of the most well-orchestrated heists in sports history. Meanwhile, our leaders tried to stop him by shooting pebbles out of slingshots.

Unfortunately, we must give Bennett credit for one thing. He picked the right city to rob.

Thread Information