Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

This is great news!!

I had to pinch myself , I thought I was dreaming while listening to the press conference. I will say that I was very proud listeing too. Growing up in Okc for 30 years I never thought I would see a pro team in our state or even my city.

At this point the name makes no diff to me. Oklahoma or Oklahoma City, I have never felt any animosity toward Tulsa, although I do believe that Tulsa looks down on Okc.

2. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Yea, they do. I was just in Tulsa today with a bunch of Tulsans. So full of themselves.

But just laugh to myself cuz I know what city is on the verge of greatness and what city is stuck in the past.

I read the piece on the press conference (didn't actually watch the presser). The comments about being impressed with "Oklahoma" were largely Stern's. What else is going to say when the governor, head of the OSU athletic dept., Stoops, the mayor of Tulsa, and others are there expressing solidarity?

We may be a tad overanxious, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The fact is, if Bennett and Company want to name our team the Oklahoma Fighting Mullets, there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it except bitch and moan on the Internet.

How's this for a conspirocy theory. The team owners want the OQJP money. And they want it really, really bad. And the only way for them to recieve this money is with a majority vote from the STATE Legislature.

The overwhelming majority of our STATE Legislators don't live in, and they don't represent OKC. Maybe the deal is, to recieve STATE money it has to go to a STATE team. Stranger things have happen.

If I'm a lawmaker from a small town in Western Oklahoma, when I go home I got a good story to tell. Or a good excuse to give when ask why I handed over so much STATE money to them slick City folks.

Thats when I look them square in the eye and say, yes I voted to give the money, but I made damn sure it went to a team that represents the STATE of Oklahoma, and not just the City of OKC.

Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled beyond measure when we get an NBA team. However, IMO it should be Oklahoma City. My wife doesn't watch NBA basketball (but did go to and enjoy the hornets when they were here), so I asked here in what city the teams listed in a previous post played - (Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Indiana Pacers, Utah Jazz). The only one she got right was the Jazz and that is only because my Brother lives in SLC. She didn't even know what STATE the Golden State Warriers played in.

I think the OKC branding is important. I think that even non basketball fans that might be coming to OKC on business or for a convention might give OKC another thought if they knew they could catch a game even if they were not big fans.

Once again I asked my wife to name five cities that had an NBA team, she said - Seattle, Dallas, San Antonio, Los Angeles, and Phoenix. ... All have teams named after the city. She knew this even though she doesn't watch basketball. She didn't say any of the teams named after a state mentioned above even though we had just talked about them and what city they were in just about 15 minutes before. By far not a scientific poll but I hope you get my drift.

Pictuer this, your company wants to send you to oklahoma city for a few days on business. You are not from anywhere near oklahoma and are not really an NBA fan. You think what is there to do there in the evenings. Humm....they do have a basketball team. Lets see if we can get some tickets to that one night. .......Or if we were named after the state you might never think that there is basketball here because you are not really sure there is a team in OKC and do not know how far from OKC the Oklahoma Whatever's are.

On another note when the Hornets were here I did sit next to someone from Tulsa and was able to talk to him a little. He knew the Hornets were here and I assume he also knew their name was the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. It didn't seem to bother him that the name included Oklahoma City. He also said he enjoyed the game and planned to make the drive back again to see another even though he was not a huge NBA fan.

I feel like I am rambling but I hope you get my point.

Whatever they are called . . . NBA, WELCOME TO OKLAHOMA CITY !!!!

6. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    How's this for a conspirocy theory. The team owners want the OQJP money. And they want it really, really bad. And the only way for them to recieve this money is with a majority vote from the STATE Legislature.

The overwhelming majority of our STATE Legislators don't live in, and they don't represent OKC. Maybe the deal is, to recieve STATE money it has to go to a STATE team. Stranger things have happen.

If I'm a lawmaker from a small town in Western Oklahoma, when I go home I got a good story to tell. Or a good excuse to give when ask why I handed over so much STATE money to them slick City folks.

Thats when I look them square in the eye and say, yes I voted to give the money, but I made damn sure it went to a team that represents the STATE of Oklahoma, and not just the City of OKC.
    I doubt the OQJP money is a large sum. If Bennett and Co. were pressured to change from Oklahoma City to Oklahoma because of what is essentially pocket change, they would forget about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsooners View Post
    Ironically, I was at a downtown luncheon in which Clay Bennett spoke a couple weeks ago and this exact question came up. Clay told us that the team would definitely include Oklahoma City in the title, not just Oklahoma. He was very excited about the support from Tulsa and other Oklahoma communities, but was adament that the team would always be referred to as "Oklahoma City _____." It sounds like a done deal....now they just have to come up with a team name.
    Count me in as one that would be straight-up PISSED if it's not the "Oklahoma City _________." I voted for the Ford Center thing in large part because this was OKC's team. Yes, ostensibly, it's Oklahoma's too and I'm fine with that... but the name of this team absolutely has to have OKC in it.

The owners of this team bought it for many reasons, but one, I believe, was to help their companies recruit employees to OKC. As in, "We now have the NBA and you can work here and get comp tickets" or whatever. Just another incentive for their businesses. No way those guys, who are so close to realizing their dream of making their hometown major-league, are gonna go Oklahoma Redhawks on it.

As for Tulsa... eff em. They've hated on us for years. They still look down on us now even though they know we're lapping them on the race track. If Tulsa wants to be a hanger-on and pretend they had something to do with this, fine. But they'll have to swallow their pride, plunk down $4 for the turnpike and come down to the big league city.

I would prefer Oklahoma City, but it isn't a big deal to me. If they've done a marketing study and think they can get x% more people filling seats if they drop "city" from the name, then that is a reasonable argument to do it.

I don't think Oklahoma City ___ is a done deal though. I have seen many interviews where officials were stressing the strengths of the state, not the city, recently. Also, I was listening to KGOU last week and there was mention that the State was scurrying to pass various tax incentives for the NBA -- all with state funds. So I wouldn't be surprised if the team becomes the state's team.

I'm really happy about this. The NBA is a billion-dollar business. Any business in this category that comes to town is going to do nothing but help the local economy. As the tide rises....

As far as naming the team... PLEASE OFFICIALS, PLEASE hire a top-notch firm to aide in this. Go to NY or LA if you have to. Don't make some amateurish mistake and have a "write in and tell us the name you want for your new NBA team" contest. Pick something that honors our heritage but also casts us in a good light.

Two names that some locals have suggested that I do like though are the OKC Thunder and the OKC Thunderbirds (although I go back and forth on the last one because of concern of confusing the brand with the animated series of the same name). Both sound cool and tie back nicely to our city and state. Plus there's a bit of aggressiveness in both names, which is what you want in a sports team.

Boomers, Twisters, Pioneers, etc... are all way too cheesy. YardDawgz is just dumb. Hopefully we won't do something like that.

I like the Fighting Mullets.

If you read the article I just posted in the "NBA in town today" thread, you'll see the welcoming committee included the mayor of Tulsa, the current and most recent governor, and others from throughout the state.

The focus was on the entire state and it's support, so you could expect all comments today to center on that.

Even though I do think the naming thing is a quasi big deal, I'm not as worried now that I think more about today's context.

I also trust that the ownership group is smart enough to realize all the points that have been raised on this thread.

Besides my strong OKC bias, I just think Oklahoma City sounds better. Plus, I really really REALLY want the PHX-style OKC third jerseys!!!! OKLA just wouldnt work.

12. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

It's Oklahoma City's team, so it should be called Oklahoma City Thunderbolts!

Who cares that the state will be supporting the team. Who will be supporting it MOSTLY, day in and out? You guessed it, Oklahoma City - the people who voted to expand their arena to get an NBA team. And, just because the team is named Oklahoma City doesn't mean OKC doesn't appreciate Tulsa or the rest of the state/region. Tulsa doesn't have ANY of its teams named Oklahoma, And Dallas doesn't have ANY of its teams named Oklahoma or N. Texas (they do have the TX Rangers, but I think that is name recognition more than a show of support from the state of TX).

Oklahoma belongs to college (OU SOONERS, OSU COWBOYS), who by the way have basketball teams. Oklahoma City is BIG LEAGUE CITY now (or did the leaders forget, since the Tulsa Mayor came down - to try to slime her way in).

Im not saying that Tulsa wont support the team (OKC would support T-Town if/when they get a team too), but I seriously doubt Tulsa would name their team OK to placate OKC and it would be a stupid move anyway. Oklahoma City said they wanted a team to improve THEIR CITY and make them a BIG LEAGUE CITY - which would draw on the rest of the state and region. There's NO REASON to back away from that now that the team is in the bag.

Don't sell out like Salt Lake did or Indy did. Sure, it probably took their whole state to make their teams happen - but WHO MADE THIS HAPPEN FOR OKLAHOMA CITY - you guessed it, Oklahoma Citians - MAPS Ford Center Improvement, REMEMBER!~!!!!! Last I remember, that was an OKLAHOMA CITY city initiative, not a state or even METRO initiative/vote. without that YES, there would be no team for the tulsa mayor to try to come down and claim. She/Tulsa did NOTHING for this, nor did the state.

It's Oklahoma City's team, Oklahoma City's testimate, Oklahoma City's vote and MONEY, Oklahoma City who will be supporting this team in and out! It's Oklahoma City's team, so it should be called Oklahoma City ___.

You OKC people should DEMAND IT!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I doubt the OQJP money is a large sum. If Bennett and Co. were pressured to change from Oklahoma City to Oklahoma because of what is essentially pocket change, they would forget about the money.
    The amount in question may not seem large to you. But a 5% rebate on their taxable payroll for 10 years is a lot of pocket change to me.

14. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Take a listen to what the mayor of Oklahoma City said

Video

I'll clue you in "I dont care about the name other than the first part that says 'Oklahoma City'". Solitude, that should put this argument to rest.

Please make sure the council and mayor ENSURE the team is called Oklahoma City ____! Mayor Cornet has said it, now let's make sure it happens!

It's Oklahoma City's renaissance and team. Sure, it benefits and will be supported by the state, but it is Oklahoma City who is making it happen. So, Oklahoma City deserves the recognition!

Like I said, "Oklahoma" is college (ok I'll admit, Sooner Football is 'NFL Development League'), but Oklahoma City is now Major League!

Let's not confuse the two anymore.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

15. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

The full press conference is on KFOR's web site.

NewsChannel 4 KFOR-TV-DT - Sports - Oklahoma's source for local sports coverage

Under Feature Videos, about half way down the page.

I find it hard to believe that people actually think those outside the OKC metro would refuse to go to the games because it says Oklahoma City.
    Especially when it's already been proven false when the Hornets were here, on many levels:

1) The team wore an OKC patch and were often referred to as the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. I can guarantee you that the Ford Center was not filled up by people only living in Oklahoma City proper or even the metro. The name did not affect their decision to support the Hornets, why would it affect them now?

2) One could argue that these people weren't coming to see an Oklahoma City team, so it didn't matter. Well, if these people came for reasons other than to support the Hornets, that is, to see another team or as a casual diversion, those motivations will be unaffected by the name. They will still come at least at a frequency as they did before.

3) How many people in Oklahoma currently support teams that aren't even in the STATE? Oklahoman's drive hundreds of miles, buy plane tickets, buy merchandise, stay in hotel rooms, etc. to support teams in Kansas City, Dallas, and beyond, all of which bear the name of the city in which they reside. Now some of these people can throw their allegiance to a team and cut their expenses of supporting them at least in half. Will they really stay away because of CITY being in the name.

Really, the amount of people who would be affected by the team being named after the city in which it is located would be insignificant, imo. MOST teams wear a city's name and NONE of them rely exclusively on support from that city. It just has no weight with most people who don't live in that city and, really, it is by far the norm. And I really don't think that any leader outside of Oklahoma City would even think that a request to leave City out of the name would be reasonable. I certainly can't imagine any of them trying to make a genuine argument as to why its shouldn't be Oklahoma City.

And, in terms of marketing, I actually think they stand to lose more support from within the city by not naming it after the city than they stand to gain from naming it after the state. People in Gotebo have not chosen to invest in the team above and beyond their possible to decision to buy a ticket and have some beers at a game. It should be named after the city, if for nothing else, because there are a great many people in this city paying a tax that will help the team whether they go to a game or not.

I agree with Hot Rod 100%...good show! Tulsa did not make this happen, nor did anybody but OKC. Do you actually think Tulsa would name thier peofessinal team the "Oklahoma ______", give me a break! I will be very upset it it has no "Oklahoma City" in the name.

Also, please consider:

- Absolutely everyone on the planet would know that Oklahoma City is located in Oklahoma, thus the state will get plenty of pub no matter the name

- A good percentage of people would never know that the Oklahoma ______ were based in Oklahoma City.

I just don't see any downside to using OKC versus OK.

19. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by roboticbrad View Post
    I'm from Tulsa and I already know once OKC gets the team. I will be watching every game possible and go to as many as I can. I could care less whether its OKC ____ or Oklahoma ____.
    I get the feeling that you're not the only one to say this.

I feel it should be the Oklahoma City "Somethings". I don't think it would deter anyone outside of OKC from coming if the City part is in the name.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Pollo Loco!!! View Post
    I get the feeling that you're not the only one to say this.

I feel it should be the Oklahoma City "Somethings". I don't think it would deter anyone outside of OKC from coming if the City part is in the name.
    This team has about as much business being named the Oklahoma "whatevers" as the (minor-leage baseball) Redhawks. Oklahoma CITY is putting up the tax money, Oklahoma CITY is the one taking the financial risk, Oklahoma CITY is the one looking forward for a downtown Oklahoma CITYrevitalization, hoping an NBA team will play in the Oklahoma CITY Ford Center.

Any suggestion this should be a state-based team name should be flushed instantly and terminated with extreme prejudice.

Look, it' s very simple: a lot of people on this board have a lot of different reasons and fellings on this issue, but the fact remains that on more than one occasion by both Cornett and Bennett, we've heard it clearly stressed that OKC will be the team name.

That is all

22. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Also, please consider:

- Absolutely everyone on the planet would know that Oklahoma City is located in Oklahoma, thus the state will get plenty of pub no matter the name

- A good percentage of people would never know that the Oklahoma ______ were based in Oklahoma City.

I just don't see any downside to using OKC versus OK.

FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    Look, it' s very simple: a lot of people on this board have a lot of different reasons and fellings on this issue, but the fact remains that on more than one occasion by both Cornett and Bennett, we've heard it clearly stressed that OKC will be the team name.

That is all
    I have yet to hear Clay Bennett and the NBA say a word about this. Period. If you can show me otherwise, I truly want to see it - because I want to be wrong.

24. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    I have yet to hear Clay Bennett and the NBA say a word about this. Period. If you can show me otherwise, I truly want to see it - because I want to be wrong.
    I hope you are wrong solitude. I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was some talk about this. Cornett seems to believe it will be Oklahoma City, but I doubt at this point he would be told if they were going to brand it with simply "Oklahoma". We will be the home city and some seem happy enough with that but I agree with those who think that would take the shine off the attention the city would receive.

Where do the New Jersey Nets play? Newark? I really don't know.

I still haven't seen anything that would make you belive that it is going to be Oklahoma rather than Oklahoma City.

Thread Information