Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

1. Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    1. Why is there not a car rental place right by the tracks in OKC?
    2. This was interesting http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf
    3. I think the Heartland flyer only goes a whopping 79mph in OK, and 59mph in TX.
    I agree that downtown needs some car rental outlets. There is an Amtrak station (and a Bus station) but no rental spots. I assume this might be changing in due time (as I know downtown used to have car hire).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

I agree, Brewer's depot shops at the train station would be a perfect location for a car rental place. We really should bug him with emails with this idea. It would be a no brainer and probably not that hard to attract a tenant, with the Amtrak, 4 hotels, convention center, and Ford Center right there.

Nice location for a car hire office. Not sure there's a lot of space to keep cars on hand there.

I suppose the landlord just might have some nearby spaces he could include in the office lease

Anymore news on this amtrak to kansas? is it still in the works or scrapped?

Credit for the current initiative to extend THE FLYER to Kansas City goes chiefly to one man -- Evan Stair, of Norman, head of Passenger Rail Oklahoma. His hard work in Kansas and Missouri for several years sparked the interest that is now moving the plan along in Kansas state government -- with the support of city governments and citizens along the way.

PASSENGER RAIL OKLAHOMA

ODOT has drug its feet the whole way -- as it has always done.

Mr. Stair tried "working with ODOT's people" in the vaunted, "grassroots" Heartland Flyer Marketing Coalition -- but the bureaucrats' hand-picked "leadership" in that organization kicked him out -- because he wouldn't shut up about the need to expand the service and manage it as a serious transportation service, not a "party train."

THE FLYER was supposed to have operated between Kansas City and Ft. Worth via OKC from the beginning, its overhead costs covered by revenue from mail and express freight contracts. It was Neal McCaleb and ODOT -- with the apparent approval of the OKC Chamber and others -- who cut the legs from underneath that plan.

Watch carefully, now, as the big shots who have obstructed proper management of the train -- or ignored it altogether -- try to take credit for the dogged efforts of an outsider to make it what it always should have been.

TOM ELMORE

For crying out loud Tom. If the sun doesn't come up tomorrow is it going to be ODOTs fault also? As near as I can see the biggest problem with transportation in Oklahoma is that I-40 keeps getting big holes in it and you are more of an ubstructionist to fixing that problem than anyhting ODOT is capable of.

Who are you going to cry to and/or blame when the train service is extended and Union Station still sits empty?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    For crying out loud Tom. If the sun doesn't come up tomorrow is it going to be ODOTs fault also? As near as I can see the biggest problem with transportation in Oklahoma is that I-40 keeps getting big holes in it and you are more of an ubstructionist to fixing that problem than anyhting ODOT is capable of.

Who are you going to cry to and/or blame when the train service is extended and Union Station still sits empty?

Those who refuse the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

TOM ELMORE

DOOMED DOOMED I TELL YOU, ITS A CONSPIRACY. THE MYAN CALENDAR ENDS 2012 DOOMED DOOMED.. lol whats with this guy and his dramatics?

10. Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

Teehee. Although I do agree that Mr. Stair has been working pretty hard on getting this done, he certainly does deserve a lot of credit for what the Northern Flyer Alliance has been able to accomplish. I hope he's able to continue enjoying that success as we move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Anymore news on this amtrak to kansas? is it still in the works or scrapped?
    So...are we gonna continue to squabble with each other or is there a person out there who knows the answer to the original question.

As previously noted, Evan Stair is the man who has made the FLYER extension effort happen.

His contact information is available at the Passenger Rail Oklahoma website:

passengerrailok.org

If you want to talk to the source, contact him.

If you want ODOT's view, reach Rail Programs Office at 521-2771. Ask for Joe Kyle or John Dougherty.

TOM ELMORE

hello okc comunity

Hi! Welcome to OKCTalk! Hopefully you'll find this place friendly and interesting enough. If you have any questions just shoot a personal message to one of the regular or moderators around here. You'll find most people here are happy to be of help.

And I read...............

Transportation official: Amtrak expansion to Kansas appears likely
    Journal Record
    September 17, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Amtrak route expansion between Oklahoma and Kansas appears likely as the railroad operator and the Kansas Legislature move forward with a joint feasibility study this month, an Oklahoma Department of Transportation spokesman said Tuesday.

“Kansas is taking the lead, and this is what we’ve been waiting for them to do,” said John Dougherty, Transportation Department rail programs assistant division manager, at a special Oklahoma City Council meeting. “They’ve been not legally able to spend state dollars on rail passenger service before, so this is a very positive step,” he said. “There’s been a lot of noise and concerns and interest from their citizens to their state leaders that they want these options.”

The same has been true in Oklahoma as well. In July, Edmond city officials passed a resolution in support of an expansion of the existing Heartland Flyer service between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, Texas, north to Kansas City, Mo., by way of Newton, Kan. The governments of those cities have already expressed support for the plan, as have Norman, Oklahoma City and several other communities.

While automobile fuel prices have remained above $3 per gallon, interest in alternative transportation has increased. The number of riders on the Heartland Flyer between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth increased 17 percent for the 10 months ended July 31, Amtrak officials recently reported. Daily passengers for the 10 months totaled 67,141, up from 57,327 passengers for the same period in 2007.

Amtrak began offering Heartland Flyer service in June 1999, following a 20-year lapse in passenger rail service for Oklahomans. Oklahoma and Texas share the cost of operating the line, contributing about $2 million each annually.Supporters of the expansion would see the line continued through Guthrie, Perry and Ponca City, and into Kansas through Arkansas City and then Wichita and Newton.

The proposed line would connect there with an existing Amtrak route to Kansas City.The extension would almost double the route’s length, so the total operating cost would increase by another $4 million annually, Dougherty said. That figure does not include startup costs.“That’s going to cost a lot of money, and you’re going to have to spend some money just to see if you can do it,” Dougherty said of the Kansas study that begins this month.

Officials estimate the study will be finished in six to nine months, after which it will be submitted to legislators for consideration. If funding is approved by the Kansas Legislature in the following session, a new Amtrak route on existing freight rails and new passenger depots could begin operating as early as 2010, Dougherty said.

Kansas officials are beginning work on a new 10-year transportation plan to replace that state’s current plan that expires in 2009.“They are in the same boat we were 10 years ago when we found out we would be getting rail passenger service with some help from federal dollars,” Dougherty said. “What’s tough for them is that there’s not a lot of money out there to start up. That money is going to have to come out of their highway budgets, out of their roads and bridges.”But any investment in passenger rail is offset slightly by decreased pollution and automobile traffic wear on roads, he said. “With the capacity problems the turnpike has today, they actually could save adding a third lane.” “We feel real positive that this is going to end up with an extension,” Dougherty said. “Now, what extension and when is unknown. It’s just the next logical step.”

17. Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

Good to see this moving forward. I can see it being really good for Guthrie, especially.

I've always hoped that route would reopen. Kansas City is one of the cities where it's relatively easy to navigate without a car, and it's a fun place to visit. Going up there on the train is really appealing.

What's the parking situation at the Amtrak station? Is there any long term parking? I assume you have to buy your tickets on-line or is there a walkup counter?

Quote Originally Posted by goinhikin View Post
    What's the parking situation at the Amtrak station? Is there any long term parking? I assume you have to buy your tickets on-line or is there a walkup counter?
    No LT parking that I've noticed at the station. I'm uncertain if there is a local ticket counter. I think it's still online or telephone based at this time

21. Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

I think the Santa Fe garage is for long term parking.

Any idear when downtown will get a rental car agency?

Also, any idea when the Amtrak Station will be staffed?????? A restaurant inside would be nice (somehting different THOUGH!!).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

22. Default Re: Amtrak may offer OKC to KC rail service

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    15th and Broadway.

It would be huge for Guthrie, considering the depot is right in the downtown area. Visitors could walk around and see all the famous buildings, it would be great.

Is there a train museum at the depot. My son and I drove up there a few years ago and wondered in there. We left about an hour later with a lot of knowledge of trains past and present taught to us by the guy who runs the place. I can only imagine how excited he must be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think the Santa Fe garage is for long term parking.

Also, any idea when the Amtrak Station will be staffed?????? A restaurant inside would be nice (somehting different THOUGH!!).
    HOTROD, I agree the CBD does need a car rental agency. There is an Enterprise Rent a Car on Broadway around 17th is the closest one I believe.

Thread Information